Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 5 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yeah, I figured. If I had TAS fingers it would be more like six.

I'll play around with the route later today (when I'm not actually in class) and see what happens.
Master-88
Yeah but it still take time. I think you total lost 1-2 seconds with bone tower & when you pick up double pack.

You not save as much against Rowdain because i think it is as fast use 2 or 3 cross. But i can,t say because im not trying that.

Quote:
You can probably whip three times per real second.

Hah hah absolutely not. I can almost swear this. Roll Eyes Especially on PAL versio one whip cost nearly close one seconds.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from ColonelFatso (lazy again):
Yeah, I figured. If I had TAS fingers it would be more like six.

I'll play around with the route later today (when I'm not actually in class) and see what happens.

Yeah, the TAS whipping is not humanly possible.  And for shame, posting while in school.  Tongue  *As I post from work*
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from ColonelFatso:
Hmm, are you sure it's the number of candles hit or the number of weapons thrown? Remember that the TAS levels up holy water in just two screens by tossing them at everything.

I'm pretty sure it's "stuff hit".
Very awesome job Colonel.
Let's not get too excited about that yet, I've been capable of that time for well over a year now and yet here we are with no run, for a multitude of reasons:

1) No good way to practice later levels in the context of the run (can't practice on an emulator because even SLIGHT controller lag kills all my timing and I've yet to find a USB pad with similar response time to a SNES pad). This usually gets me killed around Block 3-2.

2) Some of the tricks require very precise timing that I as a human being can't consistently put out.

2) FUCKING RANDOM SHIT. Anyone familiar with the game should be familiar with this concept.
Quote from ColonelFatso:
Let's not get too excited about that yet, I've been capable of that time for well over a year now and yet here we are with no run, for a multitude of reasons:

1) No good way to practice later levels in the context of the run (can't practice on an emulator because even SLIGHT controller lag kills all my timing and I've yet to find a USB pad with similar response time to a SNES pad). This usually gets me killed around Block 3-2.

2) Some of the tricks require very precise timing that I as a human being can't consistently put out.

2) FUCKING RANDOM SHIT. Anyone familiar with the game should be familiar with this concept.

It might have to be segmented then.  This game would (if it hasn't already) drive people to madness attempting to get those kind of times across the board for an unsegmented run. 

Also, I've noticed the control lag for emulators as well.  It drives me nuts.  I am not quite sure it's the usb pads as opposed to the nature of the emulators themselves, as I've had plenty of usb controllers and all of them handle slower than an snes pad on an authentic system.  I think that's just a byproduct of the imperfections present in the emulator itself. 

Quote from ColonelFatso:

Hell yes.  You wouldn't think so on this game, but yes.
There's at least one logical segmentation point (between levels 5 and 6) because my SS route called for a switch from cross to holy water there anyway.

EDIT: But of course I've had the intention to segment the run there for at least a year, so, yeah. At least the first run I do of this will most certainly be two segments (I can't think of another good segmentation point to save my life).
Master-88
I personally not support segmented run Roll Eyes
I just never hear there is segmented runs games where you can use password. SDA can reject it only with this reason. Roll Eyes

But i can,t say it. This might work too if run is done very well and Mike & verifers accept it. But there is big risk run are reject only with this reason IMO.

IMO there are available only two categories: ID-level table & Single segment. If you want full points for me your must be make this run without segments.

But seriously SS-run not need are perfect like your level 1 video. Mistakes are allowed here and your not need pull off all crazy tricks. I only hope there are not any deaths. Wink

But if you still want run segmented and looks what happen, i definitely want see it.  Wink
Quote from MASTER-88:
I just never hear there is segmented runs games where you can use password. SDA can reject it only with this reason. Roll Eyes

Quote from mikwuyma:
You can use passwords to segment this game, but I advise against it since you lose your subweapon and multiple weapon powerups.

I hold myself to such a high standard when doing runs that I wouldn't be able to cut out ANY big time-saving trick I found, regardless of risk.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
If you're only going to use two segments, then why segment the game at all? The game isn't insanely long, and there are a lot of SS runs that use lots of crazy tricks (MMX2, Sonic 2, Prime, probably half-life).
Master-88
Quote from mikwuyma:
If you're only going to use two segments, then why segment the game at all? The game isn't insanely long, and there are a lot of SS runs that use lots of crazy tricks (MMX2, Sonic 2, Prime, probably half-life).

And Mike don,t forget your Megaman Zero 2 run.
This is really crazy. Shocked

Quote:
I hold myself to such a high standard when doing runs that I wouldn't be able to cut out ANY big time-saving trick I found, regardless of risk.

This is nice hear. And i definitely will accept your segmented run if you make it as well like you make your level 1 run on youtube. But i still hope you make your run with single segment. You have potential with this. Wink
wise fwom yo gwave
Castlevania: Bloodlines was a run that was a lot like this, I thought would take a month and ended up taking 8 or 9 because it was so damn random. I literally would not get out of the first level 95% of the time, and if I got hit at the wrong place deep in the run, the run was over. And castlevania games are designed for you to at least take a little random damage.

So what I'm saying is keep at it, I did and I eventually got a run that is not as perfect as I wanted, but way way better than anything else out there. I can see in the skill level of the first level that you will get there too! Go for SS!

And the only reason I ever got a run was because I accepted a 15-20 second mistake in the 2nd level. When I first started running it, I would have never accepted it, and on certain days i wouldn't have either. But like 20 seconds meant a lot less in a run that is 32 minutes long and that you can lose minutes on with one very very small mistake late in the run (like jumping a few frames wrong in certain spots with certain enemies).
Edit history:
DK28: 2009-03-07 07:51:04 pm
Quote from stanski:
Castlevania: Bloodlines was a run that was a lot like this, I thought would take a month and ended up taking 8 or 9 because it was so damn random. I literally would not get out of the first level 95% of the time, and if I got hit at the wrong place deep in the run, the run was over.

And the one time you get hit knocks you in a hole or something. 
Hmm... I've been trying out your skip-the-II-block suggestion, but I wonder if it's possible to get enough hits on stuff with the cross to manipulate a III block before the end of the level? I'll continue trying this, you might have saved me a whole second.
I'm a flippin' ninja
I was quite surprised seeing you break the wall for II-block, because that really isn't necessary.

It's very possible to get III-block for cross before the boss fight. Even if you wouldn't always get III, I can promise you'll at least get II.

Of course this game fucks you up with countless random factors, but this is something that can be manipulated (easily if you put your mind to it). It seems to me that breaking candles and throwing crosses determines when you will get the II or III-block. Also they always drop only from the candles which contain hearths.

So just figure out a safe way to get III that way and use it always. I promise you it's possible.
Waiting hurts my soul...
I suggest recording a run in steps.  First get a no death run, if that's what you're aiming for, even if the execution isn't perfect and you don't include all your tricks.  Then you'll at least have accomplished something.  From there you can challenge yourself based on this time.  You can review the video and incorporate more tricks.  Honestly, for a first run like this, I wouldn't worry about getting it perfect, just get it done.  You don't have to submit it until you're happy with the final run, or you're absolutely sick of the game, but I hate seeing runs go into obscurity because the runner didn't feel it was perfect.  Also, go go SS.  Grin  Looking forward to the run.
Edit history:
ColonelFatso: 2009-03-11 10:27:02 am
Quote from Bablo:
So just figure out a safe way to get III that way and use it always. I promise you it's possible.

I've been trying, I've tried breaking every candle from that wall to the end of the level and killing as many enemies as I can with the cross and I still couldn't get a III-block drop. I might have to start whoring those crosses out earlier in the level if I want to save that second.

All in all though, is a one-second improvement worth a 50-75% increase in reset count for a full-game run? No, I'd say this is more of an IL strat.

But I'll keep at it anyway, at least until I finally get frustrated enough to ragequit.
Edit history:
DK28: 2009-03-11 10:50:44 am
Quote from ColonelFatso:
I've been trying, I've tried breaking every candle from that wall to the end of the level and killing as many enemies as I can with the cross and I still couldn't get a III-block drop. I might have to start whoring those crosses out earlier in the level if I want to save that second.

With some practice, I can now get the III block every time in level one without the II block from the wall break.  You need to hit every candle you can when you come down into the room where you normally break the wall for the II block.  Then when you go "outside" to the right and into the area where the two enemies drop from the ceiling, throw a cross to start knocking down the row of candles where they drop on you and throw a second cross if necessary to hit the rest.  90% of the time, I will get a III block from that.  If not, Continue to hit the last candle by the horse heads and then the candles when you go up the stairs to head left again.  You will for sure get the III block by the time you leave that area before you get up in the area with the medusa heads.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Duh, the II block first.  I will still get the II block in the same room you do now, from the candles, or from the very first candle when get "outside".
I'm a flippin' ninja
Quote from ColonelFatso:
Quote from Bablo:

All in all though, is a one-second improvement worth a 50-75% increase in reset count for a full-game run? No, I'd say this is more of an IL strat.

But I'll keep at it anyway, at least until I finally get frustrated enough to ragequit.

You might be breaking too many of them.
Edit history:
ColonelFatso: 2009-03-11 12:36:19 pm
No such thing as breaking too many of them. Once a certain threshold is hit, the game will spawn the next block at random intervals (I think it's like once every four heart-bearing candles) until you pick it up, at which point I think it resets the counter.
I'm a flippin' ninja
Quote from ColonelFatso:
No such thing as breaking too many of them. Once a certain threshold is hit, the game will spawn the next block at random intervals (I think it's like once every four heart-bearing candles) until you pick it up, at which point I think it resets the counter.

I have to disagree, simply because it's a fact. It's about the combination of how many candles have been broken and how many crosses have been thrown (or possibly the amount of hearts, which is practically the same thing).

I've done my homework. :p
Well, I know for sure that multiple-blocks will NOT drop from candles if you have less than 8 hearts. Beyond that... have you counted how many hearts collected/crosses thrown/candles hit on a successful level-up run?
Master-88
I finally bought this game my virtual console:

This is my Dracula fight:

It can be done faster, but Dracula are most ranodm boss fights ever.

This is my Level 1 run:

It is overall good & different than colonerfatso run. But my boss fight suck. It can be done 3-4 sec faster. I not got any time saves using enemy boosts. So i not uses. Somereason Tongue