page  <- 12345678910111213 -> <- 1 ... 12, 13 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
This would be my first post on this site  Grin

Could someone tell me what the exact timing points are for SDA? I've been fiddling with some speed runs of this game, and I think I got a pretty decent time, but I'm not 100% on how to figure my actual time for speedruns (I've never done any before). I attempted the pure speed run I believe (CO-ME-FO-SX-SZ-BO-VE).
You got a deletion wish?
Start of control to endgame (after you're no longer in control).

And welcome aboard.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from MatrixTN:
Start of control to endgame (after you're no longer in control).

And welcome aboard.

So start of game is when you take control of the Arwing in Corneria, yeah? And the end is the instant Andross is defeated. By that, the run I just did ended up being ~25:17!  Grin

Who do I talk to about submitting a speedrun?
You got a deletion wish?
Mike (mikwuyma).  While you're at it, read the FAQ and submission pages.
umad
Nice job Zack, you recorded it right? I'll gladly be a verifier for the run if need be and will be the first to congratulate you on your achievement Grin
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Let me be the [insert appropriate]!

Ahh, I remember this thread so well.  I have no idea where Psonar is these days, unfortunately.  He was an awesome runner.

Anyway, congratulations on your run!  I LOVE SF64, so it's always really exciting to see a new run.  Out of curiosity, did you achieve that time with deaths? 
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from InsipidMuckyWater:
Let me be the [insert appropriate]!

Ahh, I remember this thread so well.  I have no idea where Psonar is these days, unfortunately.  He was an awesome runner.

Anyway, congratulations on your run!  I LOVE SF64, so it's always really exciting to see a new run.  Out of curiosity, did you achieve that time with deaths? 

There was 1 instance of death abuse (same spot as psonar's run). I did a run before this one that had me not get hit at all in Venom, and I thought because of that, I could skip the death in the tunnel. I broke a wing after busting through 3 doors which totally ruined an otherwise good run. Now I'm ultra cautious in the Venom tunnel, which probably makes me lose time.

Most of the time I gained over Psonar's run is from Fortuna and Bolse. The rest of the levels, I think, Psonar did faster than me, but not enough to outweigh the Fortuna/Bolse improvements.

Here's a little video of the Starwolf fight in the successful run, lasting 16 seconds in its entirety (from cutscene to cutscene).

Long live SF64!
Awesome work Zallard... I found the verification thread first and made a post there:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php?topic=10910.0

InsipidMuckyWater!  Old buddy!  So great to see you still poling around as well... this thread is soooo dang nostalgic for me too.  I'm so glad Zallard spread his greatness over several long hard years of effort instead of trying to cram it all into 1 month like I did back in September 2006.  Remember when I was writing posts and posting videos faster than you could give feedback?  I made so many dang Excel charts and diagrams and epic long posts.  So much memory in this thread!  Glad to see you Insipid!

Horray for Zallard breathing new life into Star Fox 64 speedrunning!  He probably did it in like 1 or 2 attempts too, knowing his abilities!

As I used to be so fond of saying... Long Live SF64!
Long live SF64!
Re-reading some old times... here's a snapshot of when I recorded my basic run in the midst of the 100% run...

Quote from Psonar:
Star Fox minimal run in 25:41!!!

I've got it recorded on VHS and everything this time, and I've emailed Radix about it.  This beats the current run by 1:48 and is very close to optimal.  I hope it can go up on the site sometime before I finish the Expert 100% run.

This has been an introductory experience in recording.  I bought a tape cleaner, a new blank tape, and an RCA (yellow, red, white) cord for my N64 to replace my RF adapter.  I did two runs last night.  The first just beat TSA, but had some glaring mistakes.  Then the second went off better than I'd planned!  Actually doing a run (and hopefully getting it posted) will help me in my much more epic run that we're planning here.

My focus will now go back entirely to the Expert 15-medal run.  If you're new to the thread, check out my practice videos!  I'll have more coming very soon and comments on those will help me plan my run!

Edit (9/14/06): wait did I quadruple post!? Oh well, I guess it was worth it considering the accomplishment.  Not spending hours converting and uploading didn't allow enough time for people to reply I guess...

Psonar, you officially rock!!!  I wish I could have a preview of the 25:41; that time is pure crazy sex!!  It only took you how many tries to completely annihilate his time?  Like three??
Long live SF64!
I'm copying the conversation going on in the verification thread over to this thread for safe-keeping... we should continue the discussion of Zallard's new run here...

Quote from Psonar:
I dropped off the face of the world for some time and happened to find this thread almost by chance... Zallard and I go pretty darn far back and I'm very proud that he did the game some much needed justice.

If the forums are properly perused you'll find that I made the run in question as almost an afterthought in order to be sure that my Single Segment Expert Mode 100% All Medals Run (or whatever) was sitting next to TSA's drunken Cinco de Mayo joke run that he did of the game previously.  And now I'm glad that a true Star Fox 64 gamer showed how it's done.  In the older era of high scoring I managed to get my "Total Hits" score up to 7th place on the rankings at n64highscores.com back in the Spring of 2006.  Since then Zallard and many others have revolutionized how high scores are even achieved and Zallard his risen to near the top if not the very top in Total Hits and many of the individual level scores.  I haven't made a single high score record since that Spring in 2006, did some low score stuff over the summer that year, then recorded my 3 speedruns almost entirely within the month of September 2006.  Since then I've likely logged less than 5 hours playing the game.  I think my records deserve to be beaten by Zallard because of his commitment to the game which hasn't faded or burnt out over the years.  I'm glad that I've moved on and I'm glad that I'm not making speed runs anymore (I made 2 more after the Star Fox 64 runs).  But I also love that this community still exists and is still growing and evolving.  SDA is one of my favorite communities that I've been a part of, and I'm glad to see Zallard joining it by owning me at our game.

Sorry for ranting - awesome work Zallard - I can't wait to see the run.

PS
If you challenge my 100% run, I would really love if you did it all in 1 sitting.  I did that because I was trying to think of the most epic possible way to speedrun the game.  I remember sitting around the lunch table in middle school around 12 years ago taking about which medals everyone had gotten and which remained.  Back when getting all the medals in Expert Mode was this awesome challenge we enjoyed together.  Of course once you've done it, it's over though, and the only replay value is in high scores, right?  That's where I wanted speedrunning, high scoring, and game completion to meet.  I wanted to capture elements of speedrunning (mostly planet order strategy), game completion (the entire breadth of achievements available in the game), and the high scoring elements that you are so familiar with, especially through the use of high scoring tricks and the Charged Unlocked Shot.  Either do a segmented run because it's easier to record (which would fall in a differet category than mine), or do a single segment run (with the 2 restarts).  That would be my advice, if anyone were asking.

Oh yeah... and it seems I owe you $25 for the bounty I placed on the game some time ago...

Quote from zallard1:
Thanks for nice words, Psonar! Your run was no joke to take on though, I want you to know that. I've never tried a speedrun before, so I never knew how easy it is to ruin it all (Bolse liked doing this to me for a bit).

I think whenever I try to do the 100% run, I'll do it single segment. It'll be very tough to make a run that won't irritate me though, since high scoring habits tend to make me restart as soon as the slightest mistake is made.

I've kicked the ideas around for a bit though. My plans with the 100% run is basically to arrange the 3 routes backwards from your run, making the most difficult run first (entire red route) since the most annoying parts of the run will be taken out first. SY boss would likely ruin most of my runs being it's so late in your path, as well as Starwolf on Venom. The only problem with this is that the run will end abruptly, which might be kind of lame looking. I've also arranged that the 2nd path should contain Katina, since that place is also very random and sometimes brutal on the wings. Also, assuming the Macbeth explosion wastes time, Macbeth should only go to Bolse. The final route should be the easiest so it's less likely to ruin it later, so the most straightforward levels are at the end. This makes the path I'm thinking of:

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-A6-VE-reset
CO-ME-KA-SO-MA-BO-reset
CO-ME-FO-SX-TI-end

Although, if ending on dull Titania is really frowned upon, another path could be...

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-reset
CO-ME-FO-SX-TI-BO-reset
CO-ME-KA-SO-MA-A6-VE2-end

Problems I see with this route though:

1) Macbeth needs the long A6 ending (still assuming it's long).
2) Katina has a bad placement way later in the run than I'd want.
3) Obvious, but Venom is last and can lead to complications easily.

It'd be cool if I got some input on what folks would like to see with the routes. Even though this game is capable of being spedran (is that considered a word here?), the run I did feels boring to watch. I'm sure this is why you dreamt up the 100% run, Psonar, so I want to make sure whenever get to it, that it has the same impact of being an appealing highscore/speed hybrid.

I have no ideas on the red route though, I guess it would just be to go fast and not die. I guess I'm capable of making big scary walls of text too  Wink

P.S. You really owe me 25 bucks? I kinda thought that was a joke or something that Verifier 1 mentioned.

Quote from MatrixTN:
Z - You apparently haven't read the bounty thread.  Pso has a $50 bounty for the 100.

As for route, I believe it should end with the game being beaten, bottom line.

And V1 was me.

Psonar:  Long time no see, buddy.  Glad you're back.  Btw, you really should join the crew for the next charity event and play Starfox 64 (obviously) during the marathon!

Zallard:  Yeah, I'd also suggest you try to end the run with the final boss.  Your second route looks fine to me. Why are you worried about Katina?  That one shouldn't be too difficult, I think.  Also, Psonar and I did some testing and it does not seem that either exit from Macbeth is much more time consuming, despite how it feels.  It's just a few seconds, if anything. 

Quote from zallard1:
I never knew a bounty thread existed. Some of those requests on that list sound pretty extreme! I actually watched the 1 life run that Tom Votava did on TMNT 3: Manhattan project, and it blew me and my friend away. Makes a bit more sense now; he did it for the bounty  Grin

As far as ending on Venom, I'm cool with that. I made that first route so that mistakes would be minimized during the run, but aesthetically it seems ending on Titania would be a downer; ending on Venom will be a must. Ah, nice to hear that Macbeth makes no difference. I'm actually glad Macbeth doesn't have that problem, it makes switching to the other path easier. I also worry about Katina because of how easy it is to break your wing there. In Psonar's run, he brakes it somewhat early, which makes killing the dozens of enemies a bit more time consuming. If I got routes 1 and 2 down pretty well, but screw up badly on Katina in route 3, I'd probably end up scrapping the entire run and trying again. I'd feel better about messing up early than messing up a great run way later.

Anyways, I think this would solve that little problem of mine:

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-reset
CO-ME-KA-SX-TI-BO-reset
CO-ME-FO-SO-MA-A6-VE2-end

This pushes Katina up an entire route, while allowing Starwolf to drop by Bolse for a quick 44 points. It also leaves some of the easiest medals for the final route while still allowing me to take out Venom as the final planet. It even lets me destroy Starwolf twice in the same run!

Quote from Psonar:
My only initial thought is that you'll need to keep teammates alive on Katina and Bolse... the easiest way on Katina is to kill teammates on the 2nd pass through Corneria (I did that....) then on Bolse it means you have to protect teammates, while trying to end the level, while making sure to medal (no much of a problem).  I mention teammates because they must all survive to achieve the medal of course.

Just some random thoughts... also if you strongly feel you need to move the redline levels forward in the run to make it feasible then that is your choice since you will be investing the time.  It is likely that with the same amount of time a higher quality run could be produced that way, but I think that even if it was a few seconds longer or contained a few more mistakes, ending the run with the end credits gives you a gajillion more brownie points and really makes the run a solid cohesive achievement.  There is just something good and right about the video ending with the credits - no one will be scratching there head wondering why you continued after beating Andross or why you stopped after Titania or some other random level.  It's your time, but if you want a happy audience as well (and happy verifiers?) then I'd end with Andross and the final credits.

Another piece of unrequested advice... do at least 1 or 2 complete start to finish recorded attempts before you get in the habit of restarting after every mistake.  It's good to get a feel for how long the run is and what problems you might encounter in an actual run that you didn't anticipate in practice.  I always began my speedruns with a messy first attempt with like an hour's worth of mistakes and retries.  That initial messy run was then the basis of my practice on individual levels and such.

Good luck!

I may drop in and out of existence, but I'm glad to have popped back in when I did!  Good luck!

edit:
Just realized this was the verification thread and not the game thread... let's move future run discussion back over to the other thread....
Sweetness.  Bringing back the best thread EvAr!1!  Yeah, great to see ya Psonar.  I have not done much lately, though I have a secret project.  *Like always, IMW chooses not to reveal his secret project since he so often does not finish it*  You should check out the charity event from Magfest.  It was the most entertaining thing SDA has done in years, and it allowed you to see some of our great runners work on live speedruns.  Anyway, you really should try to be a part of the next one.  I'm half thinking about it myself, assuming they can find a good excuse to allow a crappy game or two into the mix instead of classics. 

But ANYWAAAAY...

I'm really glad someone has picked up the torch for this game.  Zallard, if you're able, make sure to post videos when/if you can.  A lot of useful criticism comes from this.  Anyway, I doubt I'll be as much help as Psonar, who is better at the game and may have more time than I do at the moment (law school), but I'd love to chip in and help whenever I can. 
Long live SF64!
I'll be busy this semester as well - my final semester of getting an Aerospace Engineering degree after 6 years of work/school.  Oh and a week after I graduate, I'm getting married!  Lots of life going on so I'll likely disappear again.

I read about the marathon and it seemed like a pretty awesome thing.  I'm also a big fan of the new-ish "casual speedrunning" stuff going on.  Many of my friends were turned off by the elitism that exists at SDA since the standards for holding a record are so high, but casual speedrunning makes so much more since.  I personally did casual runs of Mario 64 (70 stars in 1:28), Super Mario World (15 min), and Ratchet and Clank (2.5 hr?) just because they were some of my favorite games.  I never intended to put the time in to beat the record, but I enjoyed making my own route and learning the tricks, or for Ratchet and Clank, I was a part of the development of the first run so I discovered several tricks that went into the run completed by RJWaters2.  I really thought I was going to run that game, but he showed me up big time in consistency and the ability to cobble a run together without meticulously planning how many bolts to collect in each world, which guns to buy, etc.

Anyways, enough rambling for now...

I'm curious as to how the marathon done recently was recorded... were all the games played on emulator with screen casting (or via network) or was it more like using a slingbox to record video from consoles and stream it online (seems too complicated), or I guess capture card could be used and then streamed.  I'd participate maybe if it didn't conflict with my schedule! (so non-committal I know)

Good Luck Zallard!
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
I'm gonna have to put this run on hold for a bit, but don't worry; I'm still thinking off and on about which enemies to kill for the medals in each stage anyways. Another reason this run is on hold is because I've ended up trying to speedrun another game after learning that there was no activity or even partial attempts to one of my old favorite Turbo-Grafx 16 games, Splatterhouse. If I ever get that one done, then I'll start trying stuff out with the SF64 run and post some videos of my progress  Wink
Edit history:
Psonar: 2010-02-14 01:14:26 am
Long live SF64!
Looks like the run went up 2 weeks ago... I can't believe I posted a month ago! Felt like last week...

I haven't watched more than 10 seconds of it yet, but I'm noticing hue (color) issues on the HQ download in multiple media players... they aren't present in the flash video on the download page, so maybe I'll try Normal Quality since it doesn't matter much with an N64 game recorded via VHS.

Who did the encoding? Zallard or Nate? We'll probably need to fix that somehow...

Edit:
All downloads seem to have the color shifting issue. Black and white are fine, but the colors are all shifted down the spectrum... green is blue, blue is red, etc.  Also the LQ hosted by SDA doesn't work, but the archive.org copy does.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from Psonar:
Looks like the run went up 2 weeks ago... I can't believe I posted a month ago! Felt like last week...

I haven't watched more than 10 seconds of it yet, but I'm noticing hue (color) issues on the HQ download in multiple media players... they aren't present in the flash video on the download page, so maybe I'll try Normal Quality since it doesn't matter much with an N64 game recorded via VHS.

Who did the encoding? Zallard or Nate? We'll probably need to fix that somehow...

Edit:
All downloads seem to have the color shifting issue. Black and white are fine, but the colors are all shifted down the spectrum... green is blue, blue is red, etc.  Also the LQ hosted by SDA doesn't work, but the archive.org copy does.

Hm, that's very odd... I tested the LQ downloads from both archive.org and SDA just now and I don't notice any of the coloring issues you're encountering. Nate did the encoding by the way, but I think the problem might be on your end (unless other folks are having this coloring issue too).
Not having any problems with hues, either.
umad
Not having any problems with hues, either.

Same here
Long live SF64!
Thanks for posting that the videos were ok - you lead me to find that all videos on my computer were playing color shifted!

I found a "hue" setting in my graphics card drivers that was on "0" instead of the default "50."  I have no idea how it got messed up, but it's fixed now!

(screenshot)

Now for some Star Fox 64 enjoyment...
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Bumping this thread because 0xwas broke Psonar's red line route run today with a ~35:20 (old record was 35:35). Grats 0x!

http://www.twitch.tv/0xwas/b/348377227?t=33m33s
Willing to teach you the impossible
Following
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Yesterday 0xwas got a 35:17 (~35:07 in SDA timing). Sub 35 should be doable in SDA timing.

http://www.twitch.tv/0xwas/b/348971705?t=1h22m6s
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Didn't know about this until today, but 0xwas finally got sub 35 for redline with a pretty solid 34:48 run.
Does the J version have anything to do with the lower time?
Edit history:
zallard1: 2013-01-06 02:33:12 am
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
As far as I know, the only difference is the Corneria boss starts being vulnerable faster than the US version, which is mostly likely due to the US version's boss saying "Deploy all units, CHARGE!" where the enemies only pop out of the bay when he gets to the word "charge" ... however the JP version has the enemies deploy as soon as the boss speaks. I wouldn't be surprised if the sentence structure is different such that he says "charge" earlier in Japanese than in English. As for text, the game is almost entirely voice acted, so there's no real difference that I'm aware of.

A time similar to this should also be doable on the US version, although the JP version will always have that 2-3 second advantage.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2013-01-06 02:35:28 am
So that is the only advantage that is known? Well, besides Slippy's voice not being so bad...