--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
MatrixTN: 2006-11-30 05:52:21 am
You got a deletion wish?
I never mentioned low kills or no bombs.  You also forgot to mention Bill saying "See if I help you again!".  I'll see my friend tomorrow so he'll get to see some of this.

Yeah, I medaled Corneria both times on the alt. path (drop a couple of bombs + abuse Falco telling me to knock it off [probably from stealing a kill])
Long live SF64!
Quote:
I never mentioned low kills or no bombs.

Sorry, I was mostly replying to the concept of a lowscore run, because the thought has occured to me before and it resulted in a bunch of arbitrary stipulations that were hard to justify as a run category.  Low score is a justifiable run for a records site just not a good speedrun concept.

What you specifically mentioned was simply single lasers and no more than 2 gold rings collected in the entire run.  You allowed bombs for the sake of the Zoness boss, and you alowed silver rings for shields. 

First off I think it might be possible to do without health rings entirely if we're going for low%.

Second of all if you only need bombs against the Zoness boss, then we can say no bombs except during that boss fight (you must collect bombs from him and use them all against him...any remaining bombs may not be used), or no bombs at all if this is a 1 playthrough run that doesn't pass through Zoness... getting to Zoness requires Aquas which is the longest level in the game... so yeah, bombs will likely not be needed.

Next I was thinking about kills.  If its a pure speed low item run anyway then there will be minimal killing.  I thought about limiting killing to a further minimum since it upgrades teammate health, but that would likely only cost more speed and it would be rather arbitrary... killing will only occur when it is quickest to do so anyway.

Last I'm thinking about Expert Mode.... Normal Mode provides a major health advantage and overall ease compared to Expert Mode, so I think choosing Expert Mode is a natural decision, but this would be up to the runner of course.  The lack of health upgrades would make Expert Mode the worst.... that also brings up wing upgrades.  I think these should be forbidden in low% since it's an aid to the character.  If you're limited to single laser anyway, missing wings is often just a slight nuisance.

Ok, so taking your suggestion Matrix, my idea of a low score run would be this:

Expert Mode (optional)
No Silver Rings, Gold Rings, or Supply Rings
No Laser Upgrades
No Bombs (used or collected)
No wing repairs
No Extra Arwings (why not...)

That's a pretty tidy list of all the collectable items really.  It would make a neat run that's for sure... sorry for going off on a tirade about the other dudes uber run idea, I'm thinking this low% thing just might work! What do you all think?

Quote:
You also forgot to mention Bill saying "See if I help you again!".

Yeah I was thinking of just Bill's fleet and not the psychodelic Bill himself.  Good one though!
Edit history:
MatrixTN: 2006-11-30 02:27:32 pm
You got a deletion wish?
What's the supply ring, the super recharge one?  Also, if we were to try this on the redline, there's a gold ring in the last arch in Corneria (required for alt path); is it possible to avoid collecting it?

Edit: Just remembered, you said no bombs; does this include the 3 you start with?  And as far as quicker to kill than avoid, does that include getting heat off of your buddies?
Long live SF64!
Quote:
What's the supply ring, the super recharge one?

Arwing Landing calls it a Middle Supply Ring... I guess because they're like a better silver ring, but don't provide the bonuses of a gold ring...

Quote:
Also, if we were to try this on the redline, there's a gold ring in the last arch in Corneria (required for alt path); is it possible to avoid collecting it?

unless this were declared to be a redline low% run then I doubt that path would be taken.  I think the low% criteria should be decided and then the runner would have to choose the route just like for the any% and 100%.  I'm pretty sure you could avoid the ring if you really wanted to... though it might mean clipping the arch in the process... I would test it, but I don't think it really matters.

Quote:
Edit: Just remembered, you said no bombs; does this include the 3 you start with?

I said no collecting or using bombs.  This means the 3 you start with will remain with you un-used for the whole run.  I considered ditching them at the start, but that would be kinda hokey and arbitrary... it's cleaner and simpler to just never used them.

Quote:
And as far as quicker to kill than avoid, does that include getting heat off of your buddies?

In the end I was trying to say that hits don't really matter for low% since there's no simple rule to place on it.  The runner will most likely want to keeping shooting to a minimum since that often proves to be the fastest strategy.  How the runner handles saving wingmates is totally up to the runner.

Do we have any reason to believe that a low% route would be any different than an any% route?  I don't think the low% criteria I mentioned above actually changes much in that sense, but I'm not sure.

What will be affected by low%... we can't do Zoness, we wouldn't want to do redline anyway still... we can't use bombs on the core at Bolse or on the core at Katina.  No Bombs in Fortuna does make that more difficult.  No health for certain levels could be a strain.  Who knows.  Those are my thoughts so far on a low% run for the game.  I'm not fully convinced of it being a category yet, but it's good to talk about.

Any thoughts?
You got a deletion wish?
Just been screwing around, either trying to see what good a score I can get on Expert and/or minimalist (expert).  The only kills I was making on the latter were to get them off wingmates and/or problematic points (those butterfly thingies [I'm bad at enemy names] in Meteo after you pass the "grid", I swear those are very annoying), kept dying in Meteo.

If redline in this fashion were allowed, that gold ring is definitely going to be a pain in the ass to avoid (at the expense of a clip)  If I don't do the arches, Peppy gets some pressure several seconds afterward, most of the time ending up with him at 1/4 health, plus some in Meteo leaving him at a major disadvantage going into Katina/Fortuna.

I think we need another player's opinion on this.  Where's Insipid hiding?
Long live SF64!
Quote:
those butterfly thingies [I'm bad at enemy names] in Meteo after you pass the "grid", I swear those are very annoying), kept dying in Meteo.

I call them butterflies too, and yeah they are annoying when trying to speedrun... or anytime... that's another place that bombing was useful which will have to be handled with single lasers...

Quote:
If redline in this fashion were allowed, that gold ring is definitely going to be a pain in the ass to avoid (at the expense of a clip)  If I don't do the arches, Peppy gets some pressure several seconds afterward, most of the time ending up with him at 1/4 health, plus some in Meteo leaving him at a major disadvantage going into Katina/Fortuna.

If you're ready for Peppy's pursuer just after that last arch get over to the left you can lock-on and charge shot him immediately... the same goes with being ready for Peppy's pursuers in Meteo after ROB64's item box and being chased by the 3 enemies, just hold a charge shot at the ready and stay towards to bottom right quadrant of the screen and you should be able to get a good lock onto his followers.  If you're stuck with single lasers then being effective with the charge shots is the best thing.  Of course memorizing the levels and what to do in different situations is the first thing, but that comes with practice.

Quote:
I think we need another player's opinion on this.  Where's Insipid hiding?

He's most likely putting in more time to catch up on schoolwork before finals and still having to work as many if not more hours during the holiday season.  Since I think he's an English/liberal artsy dude he's likely having to write a lot of papers around this time.  I figured we'd hear from him over the weekend if not sooner.

Someone else... maybe even a lurker... is bound to chime in at some point...

...and of course discussion about my recently posted runs is still welcome... I'd be glad to answer any questions or hear any comments anyone has...
I also want to say that I finally watched all 3 Speedruns and they were very nicely done Smiley Some minor mistakes in the 100% but nothing mayor (As far as I can tell), great job!
You got a deletion wish?
I think Expert mode just enjoys humiliating me.  I was going for a decent score, and I died at Katina.  Came into it with hypers and no bombs (used them in Meteo's warp), was downing fighters left and right, lost my wings twice (collision with an enemy, repaired them courtesy of a supply box, collided into Falco a bit later), waited until the minute warning came up to blow the hatches, blew up the core in the last 10 seconds and collided into something killing me immediately after!
Long live SF64!
Quote:
I also want to say that I finally watched all 3 Speedruns and they were very nicely done Smiley Some minor mistakes in the 100% but nothing mayor (As far as I can tell), great job!

Awesome!  Thanks a bunch for watching all of them - I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Ok, now I see InsipidMuckyWater has begun his weekend posting, so there's no reason he shouldn't stop by shortly to offer his oppinion on the low% run that was discussed above...
Very good run, good job Smiley
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Quote:
Ok, now I see InsipidMuckyWater has begun his weekend posting, so there's no reason he shouldn't stop by shortly to offer his oppinion on the low% run that was discussed above...

Oh, you fiesty devils!!  (LMAO over here ;))  It's good to be missed.

Well, you know I'm interested.  Even if the run would only be hosted at archive, I'd download the sucker almost immediately.  The paucity of StarFox media on the internet is appalling.  Matrix: If you're a SF zealot, check out Psonar's minimalist kill count run.  Good stuff (with some slightly languid boss fights at times).  Other run ideas:  Training Mode run, No Damage run, Cockpit View Only run.

So, no bombs, no health pickups, no lasers?  Hmmm.  Intriguing.  I agree bombs and rings of any nature should be avoided.  Checkpoints, as well.  Well, Zoness is out, obviously.  So, no Aquas, either.  EDIT: Oops, you already said that. 

I tried avoiding the gold ring in the arch, and it is quite possible.  Don't forget to avoid the bomb in the first arch (maybe that's just normal difficulty, however... I know, Psonar, I'm such a coward.)

So, with Sector Y back in the mix, why don't we raise the goal a notch and make this a most-difficult-sequence-of-levels-avoiding-Aquas-and-Zoness-no-collections-run?
Long live SF64!
Quote:
Very good run, good job Smiley

Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
So, with Sector Y back in the mix, why don't we raise the goal a notch and make this a most-difficult-sequence-of-levels-avoiding-Aquas-and-Zoness-no-collections[-no-lasers]-run?

....and collecting 7 medals perhaps?  Or just plain speed?  CO-SY-KA-SX-SZ-A6-VE?

....oh yeah and you've wanted that training mode run for a while....maybe I can get some interest elswhere online... in attempting to seek out verious locations of Star Fox 64 activity I've become at least slightly active in many places around the internet. . .
Oh, really?  That's cool.  What places might those be?

Yeah, and I'm contemplating resurrecting my no-damage run, but it'll probably be quite some time before I try that again.
Would a training mode speedrun be defined as the fastest time to destroy a wolfen?  I think that's the best that wouldn't get to be completely tedious(going to 999 kills is just insane and doesn't get you anything).
^That's what I first suggested, yes.  We also kicked around all rings and kills up to the wolfen.  However, if we were seriously attempting to attract SDA attention, we'd need a less arbitrary ending.  After 999 kills, the player could no longer accomplish anything, so it's a consideration for a complete run. 

That being said, I think we all know the chances of any kind of training mode run being accepted as an official run..
Long live SF64!
999 kills run would be one of the more boring things possible in Star Fox 64... it takes forever... it'd be interesting and all and I've done it many times, but it's just not sensible to watch... I tried it a while back for fun (I'm in a no video games phase at the moment...end semester crunch time) and got bored around 300-400...It's like Katina except 3 times lamer and 10 times longer and zero team chatter... just the boring sound of text at the bottom of the screen as ROB 64 tells you good job every few minutes... I can come up with 10 different types of more worthwhile challnges before we would ever get a competition going along those lines. 

Training mode run designed to last until killing the first wolfen and mandating 100 rings would be neat.  A point stipulation before the all-range-mode was something I toyed with, but really there's no point because that's all part of the strategy... if I can et 20 more points than someone else while going through the rings then I'm that much closer to 100 hits which is what triggers the wolfen fighter... yeah that settles as a decent idea now that I think about it...

I'm almost certain I could crank out something this simple over Christmas holiday even with a single day of downtime... until after Christmas though there's not a chance... I've got class until the 13th or so, then I'm in this big choir that has 6 peformances, a drama team thingy, and then I've suddenly become hugely busy at work causing me to work until the 22nd (cooperative education internship thing...).  Then I'll have family whatnot, but there will surely be some days of downtime at home between the 25th and the 6th... so maybe expect a digital camera challenge run of some sort... that'd be good fun.

Other places on the internet with Star Fox 64 activity?  Well if you count me as activity too then there are several...
Gamespot/gameFAQs forums
Arwing Landing forums
Nsider forums
Neoseeker Forums (abysmally low activity)
Twin Galaxies forums (abysmally low activity > click forums on left, then find wii/cube/n64 forum)
Star Fox 64 Wikipedia article (see discussion tab - low activity)
Youtube... search Star Fox 64 or for a lead, look for Zallard1, a active high scorer with a good "channel" page.
N64 High Scores (updated when new high scores are submitted...the main page (delete the SF64 part of the URL) shows the news posts corresponding to any new scores)
Other than that there are just a few other places like Arwing Landing that are fansites, but many of them are now solely dedicated to fanart, fan fiction, Star Fox based RPGs, or generally noobish stuff not relating to hardcore gameplay...

Places where TSA's video has shown up... youtube, google video, tv.com (?) which is a mirror of Gamespot videos... and others (yes others...one was a sort of media portal (?) which would show archive.org entries so TSA's run and mine showed up there) I've tried to find all sitings of TSAs old video to sort of inform the masses that it has now been beaten and that they are welcome to see the new run in addition to two others here at SDA... I actually got the youtube person who posted TSA's run to update the comment to say that there were newer runs at SDA... everywhere else I just leave a comment humbly stating that there is a new best time and so on.... TSA has racked up hundreds of comments across the web so I found it a good move to simply inform folks that they're watching an obsoleted run...

Besides all of that, just do a google search and you'll possibly find something else, but I think I've looked through the first 20 or so pages of a simple google search, so that's most of it besides reviews and whatnot that doesn't count as "activity" relating to the game.  GameFAQs and Nsider are by far the most active with regard to Star Fox 64.

sorry for the long post... I tend to ramble...
Edit history:
Psonar: 2007-04-03 12:26:30 pm
Long live SF64!
Woohoo, topic revival!

I am proud to herald to all who haven't heard that Star Fox 64 has been released on the wii virtual console!

While I'm not planning anything at the moment, I have been busting out the old N64 a little more lately, and I can't wait to get my hands on a wii to try out the new member of the virtual console family.  I hope that others enjoy SF64 on the wii as well, and perhaps... just maybe! ... someone would like to try a speedrun?

I just thought I'd bump the old topic here to see if it gets any attention.  Sorry if I'm again guilty of blogging in this topic, but I wouldn't have to if someone would try and beat my runs and generate some cool discussion!
just Cross your fingers for your PALs to get the game next friday
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Sorry about the completely unnecassary 3 month bump, but I'm extremely behind on downloading what's hip-and-now at SDA.

I just downloaded your min% SS Psonar, I haven't finished yet, as I'm short on time, but your "fortana" manuever you mentioned for Awards IV absolutely BLEW. MY. MIND!

I had downloaded StarFox 64 for Virtual Console recently, which is what interested me in seeing your run to get a scale of how much I suck (very).

It took me about 15-20 minutes to do StarWolf's mission. You manage to kill them all within less than 30 seconds, almost up to half of the damage was done off-screen! HOLY SHIT!

So ... yeah, you rock. I'll comment on more whenever I get time to finish watching. And I still haven't gotten to the critically-acclaimed 100% SS. ;P
^  I'm glad to know you recognize the kickassery of Psonar's run, ye honorable Trihex.  And I'm sure he'll appreciate it, as well.

Yeah, the Fortuna Maneuver impressed me too, when he mentioned it oh so many pages ago. You'd think a glitch like that would be highly publicized, but until he started using it (and actually making it essential to his runs), I was never aware of it, myself. 

Needless to say, I voted for this as the best trick or glitch or whatever in your award thread (and that's IV, and NOT VI, in case you hadn't noticed yet, Trihex)  Wink
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Quote:
^  I'm glad to know you recognize the kickassery of Psonar's run, ye honorable Trihex.  And I'm sure he'll appreciate it, as well.

Yeah, the Fortuna Maneuver impressed me too, when he mentioned it oh so many pages ago. You'd think a glitch like that would be highly publicized, but until he started using it (and actually making it essential to his runs), I was never aware of it, myself. 

Needless to say, I voted for this as the best trick or glitch or whatever in your award thread (and that's IV, and NOT VI, in case you hadn't noticed yet, Trihex)  Wink

I noticed. I'm not changing the titles. I'm suspecting it's Lag.com or Nate. And I'm not changing the title since they'd probably expect the results within 3 minutes of doing that ...
Haha.  Fair point. 

And anyway, Psonar, did you ever talk to any of your SF64 alumni about the training mode run *points to page before*?  Just curious if anyone out there had produced such a run or had at least considered it. Though, now that I think about it, I would like a Cockpit-Only run more, but beggars can't be choosers.
Edit history:
Psonar: 2007-06-10 07:24:54 am
Long live SF64!
The closest thing to a training mode run out there is Zallard's Youtube Challenge.  Zallard1 is a somewhat recent high scorer who's youtube channel recieved a lot of popularity.  His top total hits score is 2509 which is well above mine, just to give you an idea.

His youtube challenge is to play the training mode for 9:59 and get as many points as possible.  The initial training part of training mode takes only a few minutes, while the latter chunk is just repetitive all range mode.  The time limit is where the speed comes in.  If the first part can be completed more quickly, then there's more time for taking out enemies in all range mode.  However, slower and higher scoring tactics may be used in the training portion to get a higher score at a sacrifice of speed, so it's a tradeoff.

It's a great challenge to be sure. I tried it some unofficially and managed to beat him by 2 points.  He asked me repeatedly (we talk on aim some; SN: Zallard1) to submit a video reply, but I got lazy and frustrated with it and never followed through.  I've lost so much skill at those precise high scoring strategies, that I can't do what I'd like to on the training portion.  Yeah, I've been lazy about it... I hate admitting being burnt out on the game, because I still love it at the same time.

Trihex:
Glad you enjoyed it!  It's good to hear comments after it's been a while!  Vorpal Edge also told me he missed those runs the first time around and was watching them recently.

Interestingly he pointed out a very slight timesaver in Sector X for the any% run... a bomb usage (right at the swarm before the mines) that I actually employed in my 100% run.  Unfortunately none of that will help me, because I just can't seem to duplicate the acclaimed Fortuna Maneuver as well as I did for the run!  I'm always 10 or more seconds behind it!  I'm still happy that I found that, because it's about the closest thing to a sequence break that you can get in the game!
Long live SF64!
I was just checking out some of my old threads and reminiscing a little...

Anyone out there played any Star Fox 64 lately?
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Psonar:
I was just checking out some of my old threads and reminiscing a little...

Anyone out there played any Star Fox 64 lately?

Me, but not in a few months since I picked it up again.