1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-04-15 08:59:29 am
Star Fox 64 (Any %) (Single Segment) (ntscus) (n64)

Verifier Responses

Quote from zallard1:
Zallard1 here. A/V is good, although I saw some weird pixelation at 2:25, 2:54, 4:37, and 11:56. It might just be my computer failing me or something though, it is very brief. No cheating whatsoever.

I am real glad that the run is being submitted, as it is way more representative of the community that has sprung up for speedrunning this game than my 2009 run.

I won't break this run down in a ton of depth, but just my general thoughts on certain points:

- That Katina mothership quick kill is ultra difficult to do and I have never once been able to skip the cutscene. It is real impressive how Dsx gets the full cutscene skip at about a 50% success rate.

- It is almost baffling how no one found out that half boosting seems so much faster than full boosts, considering Psonar did ALOT of testing with this run. I had pretty much assumed that he must've tested it before, but it seems I was mistaken.

- Bolse started off a little rough, but the 1 pass core kill more than makes up for it.

- The golem kill was pretty nice. It seems if you kill him at the wrong point in his running script, he will continue running while dead until he reaches a certain point, so it's good that he just pretty fell & died immediately in this run. Andross kill was not the fastest, but the hit detection on that robot is dumb. Even my old run had a similar kill.

Overall, run is pretty great. He improves the current SF64 run by over 2 minutes; it is pretty amazing how far things have come in speedrunning.

Accept. I hope to see more.

Quote from CyberBotX:
A/V good, no cheating detected. Very smooth run, nice route and great boss fights, especially the very, very close Katina mothership. I think the Any% is going to have a hard time getting beaten now. Accept!

Quote:
Audio Quality - Good
Video Quality - Good

Nothing much to say here. Very clean run with several new improvements. I don't expect this to get any lower any time soon.

Accept

Quote:
Impressive. Now will someone please improve the 100% expert mode please.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jonathan 'dsx' Hotinski!
Thread title:  
Never thought I'd see the day SDA would host autoscroller games :|

(gj btw)
Talk to the Hand
Quote from Onin:

Yeah, I know, clearly this is the jump the shark moment for SDA, it's heading down to road to casualness, you definitely can't...

Oh, wait, what's that you say? SDA has hosted runs of this game dating back to 2005? Uh, well, damn, guess I'll take my "Sky Is Falling" routine elsewhere then.
You're not very good at ironic comments Sad
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Emptyeye:
Quote from Onin:

Yeah, I know, clearly this is the jump the shark moment for SDA, it's heading down to road to casualness, you definitely can't...

Oh, wait, what's that you say? SDA has hosted runs of this game dating back to 2005? Uh, well, damn, guess I'll take my "Sky Is Falling" routine elsewhere then.

What are you talking about? THE SKY IS FALLING INDEED.
Waiting hurts my soul...
SDAVerification misses game pages more often than Flip did. What kind of robot masters are we serving? Wink
0-10
I heard they used to work for this guy:
HELLO!
Quote from ZenicReverie:
SDAVerification misses game pages more often than Flip did. What kind of robot masters are we serving? Wink

REMOVE PUWEXIL
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from presjpolk:
Quote from ZenicReverie:

REMOVE PUWEXIL

Except everything was programmed by UA.

REMOVE UA.
Not a walrus
puwexil is the one that makes the Game entries in the database, so blame him. Tongue
Professional Second Banana
Evidence REMOVEd Tongue
Edit history:
dsx: 2014-04-28 03:27:30 am
dsx: 2014-04-28 03:27:12 am

I no longer hold world record

What normally happens in situations like this? Will I need to retake world record and resubmit? I'm assuming so.
SDA isn't a world record site, it's a site that hosts great speedruns. Your run is still great. :F
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from dsx:
I no longer hold world record

What normally happens in situations like this? Will I need to retake world record and resubmit? I'm assuming so.

We burn you at the stake for wasting our time.

Just kidding.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
You can always try to beat it and submit a new run if you want. However, keep in mind that if FHR locally recorded his run and submitted it to SDA, it would obsolete your run. It is up to you on if you want to improve it for SDA's game page or not.
Edit history:
Psonar: 2016-08-13 02:11:49 am
Long live SF64!
Quote from zallard1:
- It is almost baffling how no one found out that half boosting seems so much faster than full boosts, considering Psonar did ALOT of testing with this run. I had pretty much assumed that he must've tested it before, but it seems I was mistaken.

I am ashamed.... I specifically remembered having discussed this and thanks to Google I found one of my first posts!

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/star_fox_64_red_line__video_on_p.52.html

Quote from Psonar:
I've been a Star Fox 64 fan forever, but I'm just now looking into the speedrun community....I've been spending all these years getting high scores and didn't know much about speedruns until lately.  I noticed there haven't been many posts in while?  Did the topic move?

Anyway...I've  been thinking a lot about a more "epic" kind of 100% speedrun.  Go into Expert mode and play the game as many times as needed to get all medals on every level...I've already been thinking about this, and there is a bit of strategy beyond a 1 play-through speedrun because there will be some levels you will cover twice, and Corneria 3 times...you would need to do a bit of complex route planning as well as medal planning...I would keep going on this, but I want to see if there's some interest first...oh and should I put this in a seperate new topic?

Besides that new idea, I've tried a few speedruns just to get the feel of it, though I was too lazy to time myself very accurately...I think being a high score kinda person I can do bosses pretty efficiently...I know I'm a nube to speedrunning, but not to Star Fox!

I also want to try and verify the full boosts vs. partial boosts.  I know with braking, doing little brakes is more efficient than fuuullllll brake...wait...fuuulll brake....wait, I think the meter penalizes you for using up the whole thing in one boost/brake...we shall see...I may test it in Sector Z from the exit of the Great Fox until I'm forced to U-turn since that'd be a fixed distance and I come out of Great Fox perfectly straight (you can go in the back for a powerup)...

anyway, I read the posts, sounds awesome...look forward to checking out those videos and I love seeing the SF64 nostalgia as everyone dusts off their old skills! 

Good stuff!