Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Spider-Man (2000) (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote from CBenni:
Run time: 27:11

A/V Quality: Perfect. No lags or stutters from capturing, great resolution and bitrate.

About technical issues:
The game seems to be running faster than other versions or PCs. This is due to the fact that the game runs faster with higher framerate/performance.
This might mean that PC runs of Spiderman (2000)cannot be accepted until a fix has been found that lets the game run at an equal speed for everyone on every PC, since SDA standards require framerate independent gameplay.
Large amounts of timesaves originate in this increased execution speed.
The runner did not capture the ending cutscenes, which are important to verify if the game was truly played on a new save, since having a NG+ save gives you the symbiote suit (I am not sure if credits need to be included in the render regardless in SDA ruling)

About the run:
The general gameplay is good with only minor slips in the first part, however there are certain skips that got omitted, most notably, scorpion skip. However, in the second half there are few bigger chokes, yet nothing run-killing, obviously. Still, the overall execution could be improved by quite a margin.

I am sorry to say that I have to reject this run, mainly because the technical issues make the run uncomparable to other runs. Since the category would be segmented, a way higher level of optimisation would be required.
Until a working and agreed-upon method of equalizing the speed on the PC platforms, there should be no runs submitted via this platform, because any run might suffer from these issues, eventhough it is possible to align the PC version to other versions, such as PS1 or N64.

Quote:
As a slave of running this game for six months, a perfect run of this game (on any category) is impossible. Typically I would have the proper differences of times when determining the value of certain tricks or glitches. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do that with this particular run.

First off, I see no evidence of any kind of cheating. Webbing values check out in every level and chapter. It appears there is no evidence of splicing. Any% of this game just entitles beating the game as fast as possible. Timing begins when you first take control of Spider-Man and ends when the final cutscene begins. According to my timing, the run is 27 minutes and 11 seconds long , making it the fastest time to be posted thus far on the Internet.

Audio and visual quality is fantastic. Any audio issues you encounter from viewing this run will be caused by the game itself. The music and sound effects do tend to loop or get bugged in some way quite a bit.

Just to be clear, the PC port of this game is the worst overall made. The PC port of this game is very similar if not the same as the engine in Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro which followed this title. Certain tricks and glitches found in the console versions of this game cannot be reproduced in the PC version. With this being the PC version, I was astonished at the lack of game crashes that the runner encountered.

Despite the great achievements I have mentioned so far, there are some issues with the play quality that was exhibited in this run.

1. 'Scorpion Skip' was not achieved. 'Scorpion Skip' is defined as defeating Scorpion completely before Jameson escapes the room, skipping the brief in-game cutscene that features Scorpion breaking down the door and pursuing Jameson. The common version of this trick just entails defeating Scorpion before the escape, while the advanced version requires a tighter window to clip Scorpion inside Jameson, trapping Scorpion and allowing for an even faster fight. Personally, I only expect the more difficult version of the trick for a segmented run. I do feel that the basic Scorpion Skip trick is essential for any single segment run.

2. In 'Chase Venom', the runner was unfortunately affected by a path glitch when exiting the hospital building, which is unavoidable on all systems if it does happen during a run. The N64 version features a worse outcome, as the player falls to their death uncontrollably. In addition, playing this level too fast will cause you to fail the mission.

3. The worst part of speedrunning Kid Mode and Easy is that run depends too heavily on movement optimization over skill and knowledge of the game. There are a few specific areas of movement that were mishandled
-In 'Race To The Bugle' the tallest building with the two henchman can be skipped simply by swinging to the left of the building. Climbing is the slowest form of movement in the game and should be avoided whenever necessary.
-In 'Sewer Cavern' do not need to be targeted. Not only is targeting slow to activate, adjusting the camera and target is as well. Ideally, this is how you want to advance through the pipes section
-Sticky swinging and canceling the sticky swing is difficult for players at first. For the most part, the runner stuck to leaping.

I say there is much room for improvement for this run and play in general. I hate to reject a Spider-Man run since I've been anticipating it for so long. On the contrary, I want the highest quality possible by human ability for the site. Even then, I would highly suggest the runner try his or her hand in 'Normal' difficulty runs as they offer more fun in terms of running.

If this run does not end up getting accepted, don't be discouraged! All of us would be happy to help you out or improve in any way possible!

Good luck and thanks for submitting!

Quote from Topottsel:
Firstly I would like to say what a good job the mystery runner did on the game. It was a pretty solid run which sadly degraded in quality a bit as it went on.

My biggest issue with the run is that the game is running way too fast. Many of Spider-Man's movements are frame based and on PC there is no frame limiter. This means a faster PC will make the character go faster. This can been seen everywhere in the run, some telltale signs are:

After the bank safe Spider-Man drops off screen when swinging in the cutscene, because falling is sped up. (2:14 in the run)

During the chopper chase Spider-man climbs so fast that the sniper scope can't keep up with him. (4:18 & 5:24 in the run)

During the Doc Ock chase, Doc Ock was unable to rubber band and catch up with the player for most of it, at normal speed this would never happen unless you clipped out of bounds somehow. (26:20 till end of run)

In Chase Venom, after the mid-way cutscene, Spider-Man walks around the interior of the building, rather than jumping out (8:16 in the run). Also at the end scene where Venom jumps through the billboard, Spider-Man walks off the edge and is heard dying, again as the falling animation is going too fast (8:50 in the run).

That aside, there are some well-known skips missing in the run.

The scorpion skip was not performed, JJJ was able to walk into the other room, this should be standard on a single segment run. (3:17 in the run)

During the sewers auto target was used to between vertical pipes, cut swinging should be used to save time.(10:29 in the run)

Later in the run there was a lot of 'paniced' web zipping which looked messy in an otherwise smooth run. (13:34 in the run)

At the moment PC versions of the game run depending on the PC, there is no standard set. Until there is a way to limit the PC games frame rate and create a stable platform only console runs should be submitted.

Again I think the runner did an good job, I would suggest they play the PS1/Dreamcast/N64 version of the game on a real console to see the correct speed the game should run at, with practise they could get a very good run on those.

Though I am voting to reject this run I really hope the runner picks up the game on console, more Spider-Man game runs is always a good thing =]

Decision: Reject

Reason: Besides the technical problems (the game runs too fast if not frame limited), there are missing skips that save a decent amount of time

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/817/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
MidouriPlays: 2013-12-03 02:35:50 pm
MidouriPlays: 2013-12-03 02:32:59 pm
Never Stop Gaming
Mystery Runner here Smiley
Thank you guys so much for reviewing the run Smiley I really appreciate it!
I always kind of knew that I was moving a bit faster as spider-man, but I never really paid too much attention to it. I have a Cyperpower PC so that is probably why. I will definitely try to get a PSX some time and play the game on there!!
As for the skips, there was an older version of my speedrun where I did kill Scorpion before JJ left the room, but I just wasn't good enough this time. However, I did not know about the sewer swinging! That'll be helpful for my PSX run Smiley
I record my game with Fraps, do you think if I tell fraps to not go beyond 30 FPS, it'll maybe slow down spider? hmm, probably not as its all internal with framerates, but I could give it a try later. I’m sure there is a way to temporarily limit the frames the computer can do.
I did not mean for 13:34 to seem like I panicked, I simply thought it'd speed things along. heh. And the leaping is the same thing, due to how fast spider-man was going, it seemed a pretty fast way to travelling.
while I find time to buy a psx, for now, I think the best way to accurately show my “realtime” is to find some way of comparing the PsX spide-rman speed with my spiders (however I still know the run will remain rejected lol)
To explain
Let’s say, for example, we see how long PSX and PC spider-man take to move from one side of the building to another.
Purely for example, lets say it takes 3 seconds for PC spider and 5 seconds for PSX spider. We would divide 5 by 3 to get 1.66666666667 (thus saying that the PC moves 1.67 times faster)… we then take every second in my run where I was running, climbing, or jumping, and combine that time together. After that, we’d times it by 1.67. we then add the answer to my overall time and it’d be the “unofficial” run time. So, for easy math, let's say the run was 30 minutes, and i spent 25 of those minutes doing such. I would do 25(x.1.66)-25 = 16.66 (16 minutes 45 seconds). This would make the "unofficial" speed run 46 minutes and 45 seconds. However, this is all for example. The math would probably be off by a few seconds though so yeah.. I should find a way to buy a psx…
Again, thank you all for contributing your thoughts and telling me what I could do to improve! SDA community is a lot nicer than others Cheesy
Not a walrus
It's not included in the comments but one of the verifiers suggested DXTory (a Fraps-like program) to limit the framerate if the limiter in Fraps doesn't work.
Never Stop Gaming
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
It's not included in the comments but one of the verifiers suggested DXTory (a Fraps-like program) to limit the framerate if the limiter in Fraps doesn't work.

Alright I'll give that a look soon Grin thx!
Quote from MidouriPlays:
Mystery Runner here Smiley
Thank you guys so much for reviewing the run Smiley I really appreciate it!
I always kind of knew that I was moving a bit faster as spider-man, but I never really paid too much attention to it. I have a Cyperpower PC so that is probably why. I will definitely try to get a PSX some time and play the game on there!!
As for the skips, there was an older version of my speedrun where I did kill Scorpion before JJ left the room, but I just wasn't good enough this time. However, I did not know about the sewer swinging! That'll be helpful for my PSX run Smiley
I record my game with Fraps, do you think if I tell fraps to not go beyond 30 FPS, it'll maybe slow down spider? hmm, probably not as its all internal with framerates, but I could give it a try later. I’m sure there is a way to temporarily limit the frames the computer can do.
I did not mean for 13:34 to seem like I panicked, I simply thought it'd speed things along. heh. And the leaping is the same thing, due to how fast spider-man was going, it seemed a pretty fast way to travelling.
while I find time to buy a psx, for now, I think the best way to accurately show my “realtime” is to find some way of comparing the PsX spide-rman speed with my spiders (however I still know the run will remain rejected lol)
To explain
Let’s say, for example, we see how long PSX and PC spider-man take to move from one side of the building to another.
Purely for example, lets say it takes 3 seconds for PC spider and 5 seconds for PSX spider. We would divide 5 by 3 to get 1.66666666667 (thus saying that the PC moves 1.67 times faster)… we then take every second in my run where I was running, climbing, or jumping, and combine that time together. After that, we’d times it by 1.67. we then add the answer to my overall time and it’d be the “unofficial” run time. So, for easy math, let's say the run was 30 minutes, and i spent 25 of those minutes doing such. I would do 25(x.1.66)-25 = 16.66 (16 minutes 45 seconds). This would make the "unofficial" speed run 46 minutes and 45 seconds. However, this is all for example. The math would probably be off by a few seconds though so yeah.. I should find a way to buy a psx…
Again, thank you all for contributing your thoughts and telling me what I could do to improve! SDA community is a lot nicer than others Cheesy

Hi mystery runner!

It was a pleasure to review the run, thank you for submitting it, we were very excited to see the run and it was of a lovely video quality, made the game seem HD!

Playing the game on console will really show you how almost comically fast he is going on your PC xD

There is another skip i didn't mention as it is rather new and people don't use it in runs yet, but it is very usable. It is in the lizards maze and allows you to skip loads of slow crawling.
http://www.twitch.tv/abahbob/c/2769911

If you wanna 'convert' your time to real you can do that but it's not really worth it =P Best to just run PSX and have a time that doesn't need to be adjusted.