List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
flicky: 2015-01-21 06:57:15 am
flicky: 2015-01-21 06:56:58 am
flicky: 2014-12-19 01:10:18 pm
$15 per rant/allegory
Hey guys, continuing the European meetups we've been organising, there's going to be another one in Brighton on the 24th and 25th of January at Sticky Mike's Frog Bar in Brighton!

See this post for up to date info! https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/speedrun_meetup__brighton_uk__24th__25th_january_2015_18.html#speedrun_meetup__brighton_uk__24th__25th_january_2015_18

Old info in spoiler below.
I've been visiting I Am Arcade's fighting game events in Brighton for a few weeks now and after talking with one of the organisers, he's really interested in some speedrun events at the bar. So naturally, we started work on it right away. The plan is still flexible, but for now, we're going to have a simple on-site exhibition series on games: if you come, you can play your game (probably on a projector for attendees and visitors to watch!). Due to bad internet at the venue, these will be recording locally and then uploaded later.

For free entry, we're pretty much free to do what we want at the bar with regards to speedrunning things. It serves drinks (£4~ pints, £4-5 cocktails, £1.50 coke (or 65p if the waitress likes you) and damn good pizza for £5-8. There's also all you can eat sushi practically next door and a great Thai place down the street. The venue is right on the seafront near the pier and there's a ton of great places in Brighton to eat and see (they make great chocolate here). We'll have access to CRTs and HD monitors as we'll be sharing with a Smash/Fighting game tournament. You'll need to bring some consoles, I'll be bring my PC and other HD consoles that are required.

So the idea is to get together with people and hang out for a fun weekend! There's a hostel almost next door (Hostel Point Brighton and there are more nearby here).

Brighton is pretty easy to get to:
Quote:
If you're coming from past London or in London, grab a bus or train to London Victoria, London Bridge, Clapham Junction or East Croydon and take one of the many buses or trains down to Brighton.
If you're coming from somewhere else on the South coast, you should be able to get trains straight to Brighton.
If you're coming from abroad, the nearest (and cheapest airport) is London Gatwick. It has loads of flights with Easyjet and Norwegian and is incredibly affordable. From there, you can take a 20 minute train straight to Brighton. If you need help or advice here, let me know!

To get from the train Station to the venue (or Hostel Point), simply walk south toward the seafront, then after 7-8 minutes, take a left onto Boyce's Street opposite "The Bright Helm" and next to Boutique. Walk down there, take a right onto Middle Street and Sticky Mike's will be just down here on your right.

If walking to Hostel Point, go past Sticky Mike's and take a left onto King's Street (along the seafront) and walk until you pass the Queen's Hotel (about four minutes), HostelPoint will be on your left just after this.

For those driving, you can either park at Churchill Square and follow the walking directions for the train station, or park on the seafront at Madeira drive (free after 8pm) and walk along the seafront to Sticky Mike's.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on what you'd like to do, let me know. I know Brighton decently well so if you're looking to sight-see or shop as well while there, let me know! This is a meetup, not a marathon but we will be able to show off some runs. If you're interested or have suggestions of games you'd like to do, post here and spread the word!
Thread title:  
I live in brighton so if there's anything I can do to help let me know. I'll come for sure and I'd be happy to do a run (metroid zero mission)
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Oh wow, this sounds like fun =D I might just think of investing a week-end to drop by since I don't have any other plans then afaik ^^ But let me check train/plane prices before I commit to anything ^^'
You can never run enough games
I should be able to make it along to this. I guess I better practice a game over Christmas now heh.
I'll look into going, will keep you posted.
Edit history:
Samtastic: 2014-12-25 07:49:14 am
Samtastic: 2014-12-22 11:49:41 am
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
Hmmm sounds interesting. I would run Abe's Oddysee on PC there if my Mum is able to take me.

Update: That date looks promising for me. I will run Abe's Oddysee ant it will be a glitches any% run.
http://www.twitch.tv/lildingus
Dammit, i go to Iceland on the 25th
Sounds like a bit of fun. Need more speedrunning events in the UK!
I may attend depending on work Smiley
I may come up for the weekend if my schedule allows Smiley sounds fun.
Edit history:
kitty: 2015-01-03 12:29:03 pm
Sounds pretty cool. Josh and I would be interested. So it's just for 2 days? We would probably try and stay at the hotel next door since it'll make things easier but if we don't then if anyone wants to go to the event but can't afford the hotel I'm sure we could house them at our flat in Portsmouth. There's a special double decker bus that goes from Portsmouth to Brighton all along the coast.
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
Unfortunately, i won't be able to go as my Mum has something planned on that day. Dammit. Oh well.
You can never run enough games
So I don't think I'm going to make it to this, Time and Money aren't really working out, there's something that's come up on the Sunday. Sad
$15 per rant/allegory
Just to let you guys know, the original event at the bar might be cancelled now, but my friend is working on getting us something for just ourselves. I only just found out but sharing this in case people were only coming for the speedrun event section.

However! We will still be having a meetup. Event or no event, we'll still be hanging out in Brighton on those dates or possibly going to places in the surrounding area. There's plenty to do in the city still!

I'll let you know if we're getting our own smaller event at the bar or not if that's what you're interested it, I just figured it was unfair to hide this info from people if you're coming for the bar event only.
I'll have fun as long as there'll be a smoke-free place to hang out with you guys and hopefully drink some alcohol Wink

That said, I will be leaving for England on Wednesday morning, and I don't know if I will have internet once I'm on a train or Thu/Fri. (Okay, I don't even know what I'll be doing on Thursday, yet xD) If you could tell me where to meet people when on the 23rd by Wednesday, that would be great. If you can't, but still have my mobile number (it has a total of four 9's after the country code and ends in 529), then you can just give me a call/send me a text later, too ^^
I should probably check on here more often. I would have love to have come down but I can't get the time off work Sad
Might be a bit late to this, but is there someone I could stay at Friday to Monday for this? Where will you be staying at, Alko?
I'm staying at the hostel flicky suggested.
$15 per rant/allegory
Alright, so I can confirm that there won't be an event at the bar and because the bar opens specially for these events we're going to arrange other ideas.

We'll meet on Saturday at 2pm at The Fortune of War pub on the seafront, it is about 100 metres from Sticky Mike's. If you walk towards the seafront from Sticky Mikes, head down the ramps onto the seafront and it will be right there. The pub is shaped designed to look like a ship. Head inside somewhere warm and we'll meet there.

My phone number is +44 7756 142 328.

We'll probably head for lunch after that, spend the day around Brighton before grabbing Sushi (if accepted) in the evening. We'll plan Sunday when we've met up. Brighton won't be that busy at this time (winter) so there will be our pick of things like bowling, laser quest, shops, cinema and whatever else we can think of.
Aight, well I should be around Sunday. Will get an early train and should be in Brighton for about midday. Work saturday night, so wont be able to come down that night.
On the train there right now =3
Shame I couldn't make it - it's a bit too far down south for me to get to easily! Hope you all enjoy your weekend! Smiley
Edit history:
Alko: 2015-05-21 03:38:05 pm
Shame I'm already back home. Hope you're still having fun. And did any sushis arrive meanwhile? Kappa

Meaningless edit and thereby bump to include pictures!
Password is Cupcakes