Frezy_man: 2012-06-11 03:20:20 am
Frezy_man: 2012-06-11 03:19:25 am
Frezy_man: 2012-06-11 03:18:19 am
Frezy_man: 2012-06-08 03:09:00 pm
Frezy_man: 2012-06-08 02:57:32 pm
Frezy_man: 2012-06-08 01:48:44 pm
Frezy_man: 2012-02-07 11:33:59 am
bläää
Welcome to Swedes of Speed! ( The name is in progress and it looks like the name will change to ESA - European Speedster Assembly )
We have decided to have a speedrun gathering in Skövde, Sweden. We are aiming for an international gathering, so please don´t be too confused by the name. We are excpecting international visitors participators. So far all official information about the gathering can be seen at:
http://ludendi.se/en_swedesofspeed.php

It is a couple of different discussions going on and here is a list with links to all discussion topics:
Main thread
(This one)

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sk%C3%B6vde_swedes_of_speed_sign_up_thread.html

Practice thread
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/esa_2012_practice_thread.html

Equipment thread
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/esa_2012_equipment_thread.html

Travel thread
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/esa_2012_travel_thread.html

Date:
15-19th August. The Gaming area is booked 13-20th August so we might have to use all this days for meeting each other.
What is this gathering about?
We are aiming on have something similar to AGDQ as the main event. We will be streaming, commentators, crouds, playing one player at the time or two, three people racing eachother.
We will also have another area for gaming in general. We are aiming for gather a lot of people even if they are running or not. So a lot of TVs and consoles will be hooked up on spot for casual gaming. We will also try to have some side events like smaller competitions but nothing is decided yet.

Do you have runners signed up?
Runners have been signed up. We have a few days with full schedule already. I am trying to make a list of everyone planning to attend at the event.
This is a list of people that are planning to come. Runners or not. Please help me with this.
(Send me a PM and I can adjust your status on the list).

Frezy Man (skövde, Sweden)
Svenne (Skövde, Sweden)
Crippe (Skövde, Sweden)
John Nurminen (Skövde, Sweden)
Jinny (Gothenburg, Sweden)
Dxtr (Stockholm, Sweden) Driving with car.
Kennyman  (Gothenburg, Sweden)
Tompa  (Mullsjö, Sweden)
Edenal  (Växjö, Sweden)
Robosparkle
Toothache
Alko (Germany)
Ozzy88 (Sweden)
CpKaka (Skövde, Sweden)
Tigger77 (Germany)
Artic Eagle (Oslo, Norway)
Dalfen
TimpZ (Sweden)
Airrider
Wery (Gothenburg, Sweden)
DRsynj(England)
ktwo
nisse (Sweden)
Neo (Skövde, Sweden)
Cyprus
Kotti (Finland)
Dan Lindblad(Skövde, Sweden)
Martin Rudmarker(Skövde, Sweden)
Andreas Rudmarker(Tidaholm, Sweden)
Richard Karlsson(Bollebygden/borås, Sweden)

Why Skövde?
The name of a town that few people can pronounce is probably not the most optimal place for a gathering if you ask some people. But I would say Skövde is great for hosting big meetups.
First of and personally I would not start this wheel rolling for another town right now. I will most likely be, and so far I am the main organizer. At least no one else have actually started the ball rolling more then talking about it. Organizing something like this have to be in your closer area if you are the main organizer.  Everyone that wants to be a part of organizing this is very welcome, we need a lot of people for this. But It will first off be my responsibility that the network of people and information is working. I have all contacts here. People that help this event being created have already started supporting. We have a bunch of runner in this region too and I have contacts with them and they have already signed up. I can´t organize this in England or Munchen (At least not right now, without experience, money and contacts in these regions).
Skövde is an easy town to reach. It is right between the biggest towns of Sweden. about 150 Km. From Gothenburg and 350km. From Stockholm. The train connections are great. Trains and buses goes regularly from the international airports to the main station of these two Cities. And trains from these cities to Skövde goes every hour as well. I would guess traveling time would be about 2-2.5 hours from Landvetter (Gothenburg)airport to Skövde with one transfer at Gothenburg trainstation. People in Sweden are speaking English well compared to many other countries in Europe so guiding would be no problem if you speak English in case you got trouble finding. The gaming area is 50 meters from the trainstation in Skövde. I would say Skövde is a great location for this event. We don´t have to bothering driving people all over the place. Everyone can get here by there own.
If 5-6 People would be entering the Landvetter airport at the same time we could pick everyone up in a minivan or something. But otherwise we would not bother driving.
We have great opportunities for hosting people here. You can sleep for free on the floor in the sleeping room or check into hotels or hostels close by if you like. We have shops, restaurants and pretty much everything within a few hundred meters. The population in the town is about 50 000 people. All the information will be gathered on out website.

Charity?
Yes, we will be working on this. One suggested Charity foundation is called "Hand in Hand". A fastly growing found with great statistics and opinion. The concept is: "Reduce poverty by job creation".
http://www.hihinternational.org/

Who is Organizing this?
This event is first of all organized by Ludendi gaming association. Ludendi are renting the gaming area, organizing and managing everything legally and are first of all most responsible for the event. By organizing an event like this trough a videogame association we can get a lot of subsidies to cover costs.

Why Ludendi?
A lot of money will be involved. Renting the building costs about 1200 Euros for a week and we have a lots of other costs to cover. We are aiming on finding subsidies, sponsors, donators and we will have to take some kind of entrance fees. Many details will have to be discussed and decided. Ludendi videogame association will have the rights for pretty much everything for this event. The association is built on democracy. Everyone can be a member of the community if you pay the membership for 100kr / year (about 13.5 USD). All the members have the right to vote on the annual meeting when the board of the year is elected. Surplus will go back to the association and most likely back to investments in creating a better scene for speedrunning and similar activities.

What about SDA?
It would be possible to start a new association in the name of SDA in Sweden. But as we already have an association that fits well for organizing this event I don´t see a reason for not using that opportunity. And we don´t want this to be within closed doors for a specific part of the community. We hope that many players that is not active on the forums or creating runs will feel welcome to attending at the event.
We are aiming to hold this event for people who enjoy speedrunning and that kind of competitive gaming. I am not sure yet how the Co-operation with the SDA community and SDA crew will look like but we will be promoting SDA as much as possible and we hope that we can impress the community so much that this event can be promoted by this site in the future, and hopefully already for this first event too. We would like the event to be discussed here on the forum to be as great as possible.
As it looks like right now – Ludendi gaming association will be streaming and archive the show and material primarily trough or own website. But we would gladly do as much as possible with the help of SDA. We are working on streaming other events during spring and summer 2012 so we will most likely be well prepared in August.

What is Ludendis ambition?
The event-crew at Ludendi are aiming for doing more E-sport activities (competetive gaming).
We are arranging competitive gaming for a widespread of titles. Our vision (or maybe most my own vision) is to start a huge community for all kinds of competitive videogaming for titles that have no place for competition today. This vision is wider than speedrunning. It includes speedrunning, high scores, fighting, racing and more. Even normal gaming that includes challenge and creativity fits in this vision. That is why I think the Ludendi videogame association is a good idea and a good organization for creating this event. By having other activities outside but close to the SDA community I think it can lift the speedrun-community itself. We are trying to create a bunch of competition and tournaments 2012 so we will see how things turns out later.
Thread title:  
Speedrunner
Im totally with you Frezy. I know we cant cover as much time and games as AGDQ, but we sure hell can try. With Ludendi, this is a great start to establish something good over here in europe.

We have decent couple of runners, many of them here in Sweden. Even if its only a weekend, its a start for something fresh and new. Something to build our ground on! Man... im so excited right now. Smiley
Edit history:
Chrno: 2012-02-06 03:12:17 pm
Chrno: 2012-02-06 03:11:55 pm
Chrno: 2012-02-06 03:11:34 pm
WOW.
Yay, organisation! I will have to see how my money is treating me to see if I can come. I'm saving up for Washington next year too (if it happens) and that kinda takes a higher priority, but I would love to come if I could. Maybe a donation stream could help.
Precursor
First point to order: The name. If we're trying to make this an international or at least multi-European event, the name "Swedes of Speed" needs to go.
Edit history:
mike89: 2012-02-06 04:17:48 pm
SEGA Junkie
I'm just going to post my collected thoughts on this in a stream-of-consciousness kind of way:

I know people have expressed concern about the location's proximity, or lack thereof, from the major airports in Sweden. However I've got no problem with long train rides, or long travel at all, really (I think I spent about 40 hours door-to-door getting to AGDQ, so anything's an improvement on that :P), so that's not a deterrent for me personally. The other sticking point about the location itself seems to be the sleeping and showering arrangements, but considering the suitability of other aspects of the location (I'm at least assuming the internet will meet Swedish standards Wink ), as well as the fact that there was an alternative presented, I think Freddy's done pretty well here.

Charity
This is the big one for me. The next step from here is to determine whether the stream is going to be a charity event for starters! If it is then determining a charity to work with should be the top priority, followed very closely by PRIZES. We all saw at AGDQ how much prizes affect the overall donation count (I'm willing to attribute well more than half of the donations to prizes).

The name
As mentioned above, if you want this to be an international event then calling it "Swedes of Speed" isn't really helping your case. Which is a shame, because it rolls off the tongue so nicely. Tongue

Affiliation with SDA
This very much depends on what Freddy wants to do with the event, but the current read I'm getting from the OP is that this isn't really an SDA-sanctioned event, per se, instead existing to further Ludendi's own ends. If that's what Freddy wants to do with it then that's fine, and I'm sure there would still be no shortage of SDA people who would be willing to help in some capacity, but at that point I don't think it could really be considered an SDA marathon, and as such wouldn't get the front-page exposure on SDA. (how relevant this is to viewer/donation count is subject to debate)

If the kinks in this are ironed out, I'll be happy to attend. As it stands, I'm still on the fence.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Return of Frezy_man thumbsup

I must say that is pretty exciting all by itself, and another marathon will be awesome. Good luck guys, looking forward to this!
Mike Dawson For President
I would love to attend this event! How do I sign up for this?  And will there be a seperate thread for managing the speedruns? (like the locked thread = EGDQ quest for runs)
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Sign me up, guys!
Hockey enthusiast
      Travel information:

Flying to Sweden:

If you are planning to fly to Sweden, there are 4 major cities and 6 airports in close proximity to these cities. The cities are Stockholm (Arlanda / Bromma airport), Gothenburg (Landvetter / City Airport), Malmoe (Sturup) and Copenhagen (Kastrup). From selected destinations you might also be able to fly to Växjö (Småland Airport), Jönköping (Axamo Airport) and Linköping (Linköping Airport). And when I say selected destinations I mean like 1-2 (Amsterdam + Copenhagen to Linköping for example).

You might search for cheap tickets at this website. www.skyscanner.com

If you can find a flight with Norwegian, Fly Småland, Skyways, City Airlines, Malmö Aviation. That’s good! They are all great airliners with good services (and hopefully good prices…) You should beware of Ryanair, their prices might be lucrative they are what they are because their flights sometimes land in the middle of nowhere with really bad further connections.

The airports you want to aim for are Arlanda and Kastrup. (City Airport maybe?) Why is that?
It’s because you and can board a train without riding the buss to the train station! This is the easiest way to get to the marathon. The train station in Skövde 100 meters from the marathon HQ, and 500-700 meters from a hostel.

(Landvetter, Sturup, Bromma are all located a few miles outside the city and the connection to a train stations are not as simple. There are “Flightbusses” which will take you to the closes train station, but these tickets have to be bought separate. Not expensive at all, just something to think about if you are really lazy. Roll Eyes

I checked some prices on flights from England (London Stansted) to Malmoe (Sturup) and this flight will according to Skyscanner run you 666 SEK (No kidding…) This flight is to and back I might add.

If you can find a flight for 1000 SEK to and back it’s a good deal! (Currency translation below)

When in Sweden. How do I get to Skövde!?

There are three alternatives.

(1) You ride a train to Skövde.
(2) You take a buss to Skövde.
(3) You hook up with a Swede who is traveling and car-pool.

(1) You ride by train
Tickets are bought online at this website. www.sj.se You can preorder your ticket today. But I do recommend that you hold on until 90 days before the marathon. Why? Cheaper tickets are sold at this point. This is just how the system is.

If you preorder now, the ticket will run you about 1000 SEK one way. If you wait and preorder with 90 days to go. A ticked will run you 700-900 for a two way ticket. This example is for a coach-ticket (great standard though) from Kastrup to Skövde. The ride lasts 4-5 hours with 1 swap.

My guesses are that it’s a few hundred SEK cheaper to travel from any other locations.

(2) You ride by buss. This is somewhat more complicated and a lot less comfortable to ride by train. But you might save enough momey for a pizza, hamburger or something…

There are two ways to check for tickets.
Though www.swebuss.se or through the region/municipality where you will depart from.
(Skånetrafiken (Malmoe region) www.skanetrafiken.se
SL, Stockholms länstrafik (Stockholm region) www.sl.se
Västtrafik (Gothenburg region). www.vasttrafik.se

(3) Car-pool.

This is up for discussion later. Some Swedes might prefer to drive to Skövde. I think it would be a good idea to announce this 100 days before the marathon so any international guys can schedule their flights and trips and car-pool. A nice chance to hang out?

Also, trains and busses are expensive. Share the gas bill with a fellow gamer. And you will both be a lot happier! You might be able to take a more expensive flight which fits your schedule better?

tl;dr

Total cost for flight + traveling within Sweden to Skövde will run you somewhere between 1500-2500 SEK. 2000+ is realistic. And still very cheap! Translated in other currencies (€ 210-220) ($ 230-240). These assumptions are not including travels within your country!

Precursor
700-900 for a two way trip from the airport to Skövde? Just to note, going Landvetter-Skövde, even with two changes and going via Gothenburg, you can get away with about 400 SEK in total (there and back again), it being about a 2½-hour trip, if you order well in advance. Unless they jack up the summer prices by a ton, I checked for about three months from now.
bläää
Quote:
the name "Swedes of Speed" needs to go.

Quote:
if you want this to be an international event then calling it "Swedes of Speed" isn't really helping your case. Which is a shame, because it rolls off the tongue so nicely. Tongue

Yea, it sounds nice in itself so that´s why I set that name. So far only players from Sweden have signed up. We can change the name if we want to, and I was trying to figuring out another opinion. Any suggestions?

Quote:
The other sticking point about the location itself seems to be the sleeping and showering arrangements, but considering the suitability of other aspects of the location (I'm at least assuming the internet will meet Swedish standards Wink ), as well as the fact that there was an alternative presented, I think Freddy's done pretty well here.

We found showers in the building that we can use. So far I have found 4 Hotels within 800 meters. I heard there was cheap rooms for rent. 100 Euro for a room. It might be outdated information but we will do a research on that soon. But it might take a few weeks if I can´t find someone else to do the research Tongue
We have 300Mbit broadband cable. So I would say it is a lot better then Swedish standard Smiley

Quote:
I don't think it could really be considered an SDA marathon, and as such wouldn't get the front-page exposure on SDA. (how relevant this is to viewer/donation count is subject to debate)

So far it is not an official SDA marathon. I am not a crew member and I am not the community by itself so I can not decide that. But I will try to co-operate as much as I can and I would say it might turn into an official SDA marathon if the sommunity wants to - but Ludendi is the main organizer so far, we are paying the rents, the Contract for the Locale is signed.

Quote:
      Travel information:

Awesome Edenal!
If you somehow would find a cheap ticket to Arlanda, Stockholm. the chepest way to reach Skövde is most likely from www.Skovdebuss.se. That bus is departing three times / week but costs only 200SEK if you are under 21 (€ 21-22) ($ 23-24) or 260SEK if you are older.
Precursor
I'm still partial to, IF and only IF this becomes an actual SDA-backed marathon, EGDQ. Of course, the E doesn't need to stand for European - in fact, probably better if it doesn't, so that the marathon is named, say... "Extreme Games Done Quick". So the E in "EGDQ" kind of takes on two meanings.
SEGA Junkie
Couldn't be "Excellent Games Done Quick"? That would mirror Awesome Games Done Quick kind of nicely.

(but then what to call the inevitable awful games bracket...)
There are some truly Evil games thou.

Me and Alko loved Epic*  Perhaps "Euro, Epic & Evil"

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/definition/E

Edit: I would love to see John and artic_eagle duke it out!
Edit history:
KennyMan666: 2012-02-07 12:50:58 pm
Precursor
No, not epic. Definitely not epic. Epic is a word that has been overused far too fucking much.

Excellent works, though! Better than Extreme.

mike89: Excretal.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
I'll stay with epic xD
And I'm a non-Swede who will be there (unless I break both legs and both arms or something), and will sign up to run as soon as minor issues have been taken care of ^^
I survived MIKE-Fest 1
I like the separation and the name a lot SDA members can use this marathon to get known each other and next year we may be ready to do a EGDQ

btw: I'm in my exams right now so I will post if I came later because I have to calculate money time etc.
Professional Second Banana
Moving this thread to the Gaming Discussion forum since Ludendi is the main organizer of the event.
bläää
My opinion is that this marathon-topic should be located in the marathong forum. As it looks like right now the topic totally dissapeared from that forum without no one knows where... And if everyone would have my own opinion: I hope and guess this marathon will be an official SDA-marathon. Because the organizers and the participators are a part of the SDA community.
Edit history:
moooh: 2012-02-07 02:23:11 pm
moooh: 2012-02-07 02:22:43 pm
Exoray
I'm pretty sure people are smart enough to locate it here.
This being a Ludendi thing, it would only be fair to treat it the same like we do with all other community marathons like TSG, bonusstage marathons, returners marathons etc and host it in gaming discussion.

The part where you said "Ludendi owns all rights" to the marathon makes it pretty clear that it is not a SDA marathon Smiley

Don't get us wrong, we highly support the event like we do with all other organizations hosting their own marathons. If asked, we will surely plug you in a news post a few days prior to the event.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from moooh:
The part where you said "Ludendi owns all rights" to the marathon makes it pretty clear that it is not a SDA marathon Smiley

Not to mention the fact that they are paying for the more expensive things like location.
Audio-guy. twitchtv:ohgoddamnit
At least toss a "Click here to get info about the one Euro thing happening" link into the main Marathon forum.
Edit history:
KenDeep: 2012-02-08 12:44:30 pm
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
To be quite honest, I really don't like this. I'd still be able to travel to Sweden, that is not the problem. The problem is that an event has been planned on pretty much the same timeline as the initially planned European Marathon, which gives us two options:

We either join your event, Frezy, making the whole discussion and effort about finding an alternative to sweden go to waste(even with low results), which would result in a certain percentage of people not be able to attend the marathon due to time restraints(because flexibility is an important aspect) or money-restraints(travelling to the netherlands, germany etc is so much cheaper than travelling to sweden). It would also result in making this marathon seem much less professional and official, and it even might hurt the rep of SDA if anybody happens to read this stuff, as they will think authority and organisation is pretty much random and wild and going according to the "be-happy-go-lucky"-route.
Either that, or we will make an official SDA-Marathon which will result in a split of viewer-counts and efficiency concerning donations, since there will be two marathons either at the same time, or pretty much close to each other.

I don't like this. Not one bit.
Edit history:
Frezy_man: 2012-02-08 01:24:44 pm
bläää
Quote:
This being a Ludendi thing, it would only be fair to treat it the same like we do with all other community marathons like TSG, bonusstage marathons, returners marathons etc and host it in gaming discussion.
Accepted.

It is not my purpose to upset anyone. My ambition is to create a great speedrun marathon for this community. Full credits to you, Kennyman, Alko and other people who was trying to get an official european SDA marathon to happend. I was also for the idea and tried to discuss it and find solutions. But not much was happeing. Leading Crew members didn´t said very much or pushed the marathon to happen. People on forums often talk about that things have to happend without doing anything. We where talking about a european gathering already in 2006-2007 but still it has not happend. sometihing like this have to be planned long beforehand so I still have the feeling of me to release the event was the best thing to do.. As I write in my first topic, I can´t organize this thing in Germany. But here in Sweden I feel like having enough network for doing this. You can still arrenge another European marathon earlier och afterward - thumbs up from me. But then I don´t really know If I could help very much. I have seen two or three people coming with bad comments for the event to happen in Sweden. But 50 people who stand up and says: "finnally this is going to happend!"
And we need to anounce it already now. And we need to have an organizer for it too. Somewhere to put it up officially. Ludendi is the only choice so far. Anounce it on the SDA-forum only is not enough if we are aiming high - Everyone in the speedruncommunity simply is not hanging out or sending their runs to SDA either. We who organize this simply don´t have access for doing this to an SDA official event as it looks like right now.
Edit history:
KenDeep: 2012-02-08 01:33:05 pm
KenDeep: 2012-02-08 01:32:32 pm
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
Quote:
You can still arrenge another European marathon earlier och afterward

That's the problem: We can't. Remember how there was a huge discussion about the date for the european marathon being so close to the Summer Marathon? People don't have endless money to donate to. We have to keep that in mind.
And, yeah we need an organizer. But we already HAD an organizer. You didn't need to take that position in the first place, so it wasn't about you needing to be able to organize an event IN germany(or any country for that matter).