Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Sonic3Knuckles.html

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (ntscus) (genesis) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Sonic]

Verifier Responses

Quote from Sonikkustar:
A/V Quality - Good
No cheating here.

Excellent run. The only real mistake I saw is Lava Reef 2 where the runner missed the monitor and didn't get into the ground, thus missing the level wrap. Other than that, This run was nothing short of amazing. Launch Base 2 was especially awesome.

Accept, and good luck to the runner on his future endeavors.

Quote from AlecK47:
A/V excellent, no cheating detected

AI1:  A bit of slop here, which surprises me.  It's still a good time, but was probably a near-reset.
AI2:  Solid.
HC1:  Very good stage; even better boss fight.
HC2:  I think this is an ideal time (including the death to set up the wrap).
MG:  Beautiful stuff.
CN1:  Textbook wheel glitch.
CN2:  Love this level as it is now with Sonic solo.  Very solid level.
IC1:  Missed the slope for the wrap on the first try, but that's a very minor time loss.
IC2:  Glad I don't have to reject this run because the timer hit 1 second. Wink
LB1:  Almost got knocked the wrong way here... almost.
LB2:  I think I may need to change my pants now...  This level is fucking SICK!
MH1:  Third try to get in the wall.  Not ideal, but could have been much worse.
MH2:  No midair jump, but otherwise very good.
FB1:  Walls are just suggestions so they are often ignored in speedruns.  The only hope is that you can ignore them as fast as is done here.  Love this glitch!
FB2:  Pay attention kids, this is how you go fast.
SO1:  Missed a couple tight cycles, but that's almost to be expected.
SO2:  I can only imagine how it must have felt to lose the lightning shield early here.  Fortunately the level wasn't bad otherwise, but that one must sting.
LR1:  Stair clip took a few tries and the level as a whole had some slop, but nothing too bad here.
LR2:  Missed the wrap, which isn't surprising as Sonic, but still unfortunate. Sad  At least the stair clip/zip and spindash through the barrier were fast, and the rest of the level good.
HP:  Solid.  Moving on.
SS:  Missed the spindash jump off the retracting springboard, but otherwise good.
DE1:  Good stage except for losing the shield just before Red Eye, but the fight was pretty good considering the circumstances.
DE2:  And the run finishes strong.

There's still a decent amount of time to gain in this run, but improving it will be anything but easy, and not just because of LB2.  An excellent run and an easy accept

Quote from CyberBotX:
A/V good, no cheating detected. Even with some of the minor mistakes that came up, this run is really solid. It's a good addition to the site, so I'm giving it an accept.

Quote:
A/V is good, no cheating.
Run had some rather sloppy mistakes, but I believe these are fully outweighed by the simply amazing moments, not the least of which was LBZ2.

Accept, and I hope someone cuts this time down even further!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Mike 'mike89' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
SEGA Junkie
Thanks everyone!

Some clarifications:

Quote from AlecK47:
CN2:  Love this level as it is now with Sonic solo.  Very solid level.

This is actually home to the biggest "mistake" in the run: if you can sneak past all the bumpers in Knuckles's section AND hit a very narrow stretch up the top you can skip the Knuckles cutscene entirely similar to the co-op run, and that saves around 20 seconds. I never once hit it though, and I tried it for quite a bit. The largest problem is that it'll only work if the bumpers are in just the right spot, and they're universal timer objects that start their timing from act 1... so you can't even use the timer to tell with certainty where it is in the cycle.

Quote from AlecK47:
MH2:  No midair jump, but otherwise very good.

I don't go for this one, there's no real benefit. Unlike Tails who can fly up to the platform above, all that's likely to happen to Sonic is he'll land straight on the chicken enemy up ahead.

Quote from AlecK47:
LR2:  Missed the wrap, which isn't surprising as Sonic, but still unfortunate. Sad  At least the stair clip/zip and spindash through the barrier were fast, and the rest of the level good.

Another one I've never hit in a run, haha. It would save a minute or more but holy shit getting it would be something else. You have to roll under the box as it gets up to the height of its bounce and stop at just the right time before it lands on you.

Quote from AlecK47:
DE1:  Good stage except for losing the shield just before Red Eye, but the fight was pretty good considering the circumstances.

This one's on purpose: using insta-shield for this fight is actually marginally faster than the lightning shield if you do it right. If you used the lightning shield you wouldn't be able to get any hits until after you already have four with the insta-shield.
I didn't expect you to get the ideal CN2, honestly.  It's almost in the same boat as LR2, which I almost declined to mention.

Thinking the midair jump was useful is a derp, in hindsight.  Similar with Red Eye, I guess, in that I didn't realize that strat was faster.
Excellent!
Congrats on the run mike! I'll be watching it out.
Exoray
What's this? A  S3&K run with Sonic? Way to go! Smiley
Maybe my insistent donations towards you playing as Sonic during all the marathon runs (and failing to have it win) did pay off after all Cheesy
SEGA Junkie
Oh, it was you? You monster! Grin

Seriously this run is the furthest thing from marathon safe, anyone who tried it would be a hell of a lot braver than me!
Congrats!

Despite your insistence that you won't ever touch this game again with a stick, everyone knows you'll be back. Tongue