page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from amzblk:
Quote from CptBrian:
You can increase the save cap from 20 to like 100+ if you want. It's just in the config files as "<Saving MaxAutoSaves="20" />" located at "Documents\My Games\Soma\Main", but anyway..
Can we get a zip containing a save for the start of each area? I feel that would be extremely helpful, considering the game is somewhat large and that this can be done by simply backing up your save files that are at the start of each area. I believe the save files are even titled properly. This could be put up in the resources section of the speedrun.com page. So you could pretty much do this:
Increase save cap to ~100 > Make your saves folder only consist of saves at the start of each area so you can just hop between any area at will through loading saves > Practice more easily this way. You can also edit the date in the save file name to more easily differentiate said saves from the rest of them.
http://i.imgur.com/G9pXV91.png
^And no, I haven't played the game since then.
Here's the result of editing the date/time: http://i.imgur.com/hm4awRJ.png
AutoSave_03-01-omicron-outside_9999_99_99_99_99_99_9.sav
More: http://i.imgur.com/b02cYbw.png
3-1 Omicron Outside Speed Edits.sav
AutoSave_03-01-omicron-outside_0_0_0_0_0_0_0.sav

It doesn't let you edit the name and date/time at the same time, you'll have to choose one. If you edit both, the name will be blank and show up as "- -".
This is what it looks like when you edit both: http://i.imgur.com/oAFpSH0.png
AutoSave_03-01-omicron-zzzside_0_0_0_0_0_0_0
AutoSave_03-01-omizzzz-outside_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

If you remove a required value from the end such as a "_0," it will bug out and just show the full file name as the save title and then show the save file's date/time as the actual file's date/time.

There's no real need for autosaves as launching the game in Debug mode allows you to load any map, allows you to speed up the game, skip dialogue, fly around the maps with camera and teleport yourself to the camera.
It also has built in quicksave (F9) and quickload (F10)

Except for a few times when there are issues with the debug not working like the normal game (i.e. your omicron_inside strat).

Also, debug mode breaks the game for me in many situations as well. For example, the chapter 0 lab has basically no object collision on the walls leading up to Munshi.
Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-07 10:01:29 pm

Possible route/clip that is useful for omicron_inside. I did a couple recordings trying to get a perfect run with both routes, but I ran out of time today. Let me know if you guys find out which one is faster, or find a better clip.

Time loss from using this route is likely only picking up the fire extinguisher and any time lost when setting up the clip back in bounds. The time save is time spent running out of the top room, the prop hover down to the middle platform, and the time running to the hallway.
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-08 01:14:27 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-08 11:41:01 am
amzblk: 2015-10-08 11:40:19 am
Quote from sychotix:
Possible route/clip that is useful for omicron_inside. I did a couple recordings trying to get a perfect run with both routes, but I ran out of time today. Let me know if you guys find out which one is faster, or find a better clip.

Time loss from using this route is likely only picking up the fire extinguisher and any time lost when setting up the clip back in bounds. The time save is time spent running out of the top room, the prop hover down to the middle platform, and the time running to the hallway.

I did some rough timing and it's ~10 seconds faster. I hovered up from the 1st floor to the 2nd instead of taking the stairs. You only drop held objects when you enter the midsection having collected all 3 items.
To be faster you have to fast ascend with the Carthage box/Fire extinguisher - if you don't you'll be slower because there was no time critical prop hover ascension in the previous route.
It also requires you to get the clip back in bounds fast.

EDIT: Ok, there's a big problem with this route. You are unable to perform the 2nd dialogue skip without dying to the monster. This route makes the monster spawn by the door and she stays there. Taking a death isn't an option since Tau has a lot of walking. I think this route is slower.
Quote from amzblk:
EDIT: Ok, there's a big problem with this route. You are unable to perform the 2nd dialogue skip without dying to the monster. This route makes the monster spawn by the door and she stays there. Taking a death isn't an option since Tau has a lot of walking. I think this route is slower.

Damn. Maybe we can use the clip for something else, but I'm starting to have doubts =( Thanks for checking it out.
Omicron outside segmented strat:

Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-10 01:13:44 pm

A quick Any% tutorial... basically a compilation of what we have found so far for single segment with a bit more explanation.
Edit history:
Nosferatu: 2015-10-11 06:24:40 am
Upsilon_Inside hover done with a little box instead of the chair:

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to jump a couple times after grabbing the object while you're pulling it towards you. I have jump bound to mousewheel down so I get both inputs at once, but if you have normal keybinds just jump as you're down-scrolling
Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-10 06:55:12 pm
@Nosferatu, I can't seem to get the box to be very stable.

I believe using this strat will be at least 5 seconds faster if done quickly. If you are slow with your hover, it should be of equal speed. Make sure you don't take damage when falling, or you will be at 90% hp until your next heal.

This is a modification of Nomi's prop hover ofc, but there is an invisible platform that you need to land on to make this faster than the current route.

A lot of people know about this already, but just to let everyone know there is a faster route in Omicron_outside using the sheet metal originally found by Nosferatu. It saves around 10 seconds unless you are doing the segmented strat of juggling the dead robot.
Edit history:
Teravortryx: 2015-10-14 10:19:26 pm
Alternate SS Tau inside route + optional door skip (not so SS friendly)

EDIT: Sorry ShadowDraft, didn't see your obsoleted route, which uses similar tricks.

Small Tau shortcut I found:

Found a way to skip the vent in upsilon inside:

This may not work if your computer is good enough to instantly load upsilon inside since you may not be able to escape the vent's "no jumping" trigger, but I can't test that since my computer is shit.
Also, I did this on the GOG version of SOMA on patch 1.02
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-12 02:46:43 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-12 10:02:51 am
amzblk: 2015-10-12 10:01:46 am
amzblk: 2015-10-12 10:01:44 am
amzblk: 2015-10-12 10:01:43 am
Quote from Nosferatu:

This may not work if your computer is good enough to instantly load upsilon inside since you may not be able to escape the vent's "no jumping" trigger, but I can't test that since my computer is shit.

The preload trigger is actually right outside inside the window (0:27 in the video). The trigger you talk about in the video is not the preload, it is the autosave.
I think there's no time lost going back into the room and doing the route as we do it now with one clip instead of two.
EDIT: Also works fine on fast computers because the load starts after the animation.
EDIT2: New route should look something like this
Edit history:
Teravortryx: 2015-10-12 07:06:15 pm
Teravortryx: 2015-10-12 01:45:42 pm
Quote from Nosferatu:

andyrockin123 uploaded a video of the OoB first a couple of weeks ago, but offered no way to continue.
I found some Outside Curie strats, and I made a comparison video:

If you are going to use my new SS strat, note that the textures don't match perfectly with the physics. Make sure you land on the invisible box, or when you jump, you might clip your feet on the side of the box!
Quote from amzblk:
Quote from Nosferatu:

The preload trigger is actually right outside inside the window (0:27 in the video). The trigger you talk about in the video is not the preload, it is the autosave.
I think there's no time lost going back into the room and doing the route as we do it now with one clip instead of two.
EDIT: Also works fine on fast computers because the load starts after the animation.
EDIT2: New route should look something like this

Nice improvement for getting on the vent, but note that if you mess it up, you might hit the vent mode trigger where you can't lean, jump, or stand up.
Found a weird transition skip in theta_outside. You jam the big outside doors with the "authorized personnel" cover - this can be set right after completing the puzzle (we then grab the omnitool from outside the zeppelin).
After jamming the doors, you jump out and then back in - this should trigger the next level earlier than intended for some reason. Works both in debug and non-debug modes.

From what I timed, saves around 13 seconds. If you fail to get back inside the airlock however, there's no recovery.

Also, sometimes one of the entrance doors appears in theta_inside as a side effect of this skip.

Quote from amzblk:
Found a weird transition skip in theta_outside. You jam the big outside doors with the "authorized personnel" cover - this can be set right after completing the puzzle (we then grab the omnitool from outside the zeppelin).
After jamming the doors, you jump out and then back in - this should trigger the next level earlier than intended for some reason. Works both in debug and non-debug modes.

From what I timed, saves around 13 seconds. If you fail to get back inside the airlock however, there's no recovery.

Also, sometimes one of the entrance doors appears in theta_inside as a side effect of this skip.

For some reason, I can't get through. There is always an invisible wall blocking me.
Quote from sychotix:
For some reason, I can't get through. There is always an invisible wall blocking me.

I'm running the initial version of the game. The only thing I can think of is that they patched in the invisible wall?
Nosferatu and I both have GOG 1.02, and he doesn't have the invis wall and I do. I'll have to test if the invis wall is there every time I go to Theta.
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-16 09:31:38 am
Quote from Teravortryx:
Nosferatu and I both have GOG 1.02, and he doesn't have the invis wall and I do. I'll have to test if the invis wall is there every time I go to Theta.

Could you upload your /maps/chapter02/02_04_theta_outside/02_04_theta_outside.hps file so I run a diff with what I have? I'm pretty sure there would be additional handling in the map script for the invisible wall toggling.
Possibly in void SequenceEndLevel(const tString &in asTimer) or void SequenceAirlockDrains(const tString &in asTimer)

EDIT: Unrelated, but you can escape the airlock during the transition from transport_station to curie_outside.
I've not been able to find it useful in any way though - no objects persist through the transition and the transition kinda softlocks in level transition mode until you go back into the airlock trigger which can be reached from OOB as well.
You're also not able to crouch during the level transition.
http://pastebin.com/eszGXzSe Here is mine.
I came up with some new stuff in tau_outside and tau_inside today. Using both new strats, there should be about 46 seconds of time saved here.

Things to note about this stuff:
-The storm trigger slows you down from 4.19 movespeed to 3.3 (a 21.3% movespeed drop)
-There are storm triggers throughout the level so it's worth it to stay high up
-The trigger to preload tau_inside is also high up so it doesn't take long to descend and hit it then fly back up
-If you don't stand on the box at the omnitool swipe, the water makes it rise into the air
-This also means that if you try to re-grab the object while to water is still draining, the thing has a tendency to fly up, out of your control
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-16 04:57:35 pm
Quote from Teravortryx:

If you get the invisible wall in theta_outside then you are running a patched version of the game. I did run a diff on my script and sychotix's and here's what I found:

Entity_SetActive("BlockExitAirlock",true); addition in the OnChange_AirlockButton function which toggles the invisible clip.
MATHEMATICS
@OP can you please turn this thread into a regular thread? It's a pain in the ass to read in static mode.