Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 12 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Zallard you are a fuckin baller sir.  Great job.  I am inspired!  I love this game to death and I'd love to learn to run it casually someday.  You make it look so fun even with all the frustraiting RNG towards the back end.  Great job on this run boss!

Also seriously anyone who sees this please go subscribe to Z's channel.  It's criminal how low his viewer count is during some of these insane attempts!
The Great Farming Empire
Congrats zallard1! Accept IMMEDIATELY.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
!!!!!!!!!!
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Holy essssssss.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
@ Heid.  LOL, no, I need king zallard's permission after all.  Wink  Just an idea I had, check your PMs...
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Thanks everyone!

Quote from Klaige:
I love this game to death and I'd love to learn to run it casually someday.  You make it look so fun even with all the frustraiting RNG towards the back end.

Klaige, if you ever want to learn anything about running Super Punch Out, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll tell you everything I know about the game.

This run is gonna have double commentary action when it gets published on SDA. Don't miss it!
Holy...
Speedrunner
I'm a bit upset right now, I just had a perfect seg 4 attempt lost at the very end of Nick Bruiser. He blocked the last punch that mattered before I would for sure finish the attempt. Narcis was 9.3x, Hoy was 8.6, Rick was 10.9x, and Nick would have been 9.4x. Lost a ton of motivation because I know I will never have an attempt that good again. :<
Willing to teach you the impossible
Look one page back. You just never know what can happen.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Oh man, that segment sounded awesome Sad

That sucks man, it can be really rare to get a Narcis that low, especially followed up by perfect Hoy and Rick patterns. Mr K and Omnigamer are trying to figure out how the RNG in the game works at the moment, hopefully we'll be able to figure out if it's possible to manipulate RNG in real time (might be asking too much for that to be doable). Could I see what happened in your Nick fight anyways?
Speedrunner
Edit history:
zallard1: 2013-03-24 02:15:14 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Did you hold Up+Y on Nick for phase 2? I didn't even know that would actually counter him if he attacks high, I usually just get blocked from it. However, that delay/attack he gave you happened to be the perfect one for you to land an uppercut at the beginning of the fight if you had just held Up+A. Check out my IL run for phase 2 to see what I mean. I'm suggesting this because it seemed like you were banking on him attacking high and immediately at the start of phase 2 anyways, so this should work out better for you if you're still going to attempt that method.
Speedrunner
Actually I was supposed to land a punch on him before he punched at me at all like this
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Ahhh ok, I see what's going on. Nick has a variable delay at the start of phase 2, what happened in the strat you just linked is he delayed slightly before attacking high, which allowed you to throw that punch. What happened in your segment attempt is that he had no delay at all; you can see his sprite readying up to attack you the instant the fight starts, unlike in your strategy where he was "idle" for a moment before he got ready. When a boxer is about to attack you and you throw a punch before the window where it would be a counter, the opponent will just autoblock your attack.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Don't give up Pokey!  When you're so close you can taste it is exactly when you can't quit...
I just saw Zallard's new speedrun and I had to join the site to personally congratulate him!  I grew up playing this game and started speedrunning it in 2005 for a bounty competition that Twin Galaxies was holding (it was an easy $100).  Unfortunately, I didn't win because the tape didn't get there before the end of the year, so I missed out on the $100 but got 13 out of the 16 WRs for the characters.  Here are my times from 2005:

Minor Circuit
Gabby Jay                00:06.66
Bear Hugger            00:13.65
Piston Hurricane      00:05.50
Bald Bull                 00:08.75
Major Circuit
Bob Charlie         00:05.52
Dragon Chan         00:07.69
Masked Muscle         00:06.41
Mr. Sandman         00:13.37
World Circuit
Aran Ryan         00:08.49
Heike Kagero         00:10.77
Mad Clown         00:09.94
Super Machoman 00:09.73
Special Circuit
Narcis Prince         00:09.64
Hoy Quarlow         00:08.50
Rick Bruiser         00:10.84
Nick Bruiser         00:08.60

It is crazy to see how much these times have improved, and makes me want to play this game again!  Note that since TG doesn't allow any pausing during the video, I could not make use of the pause glitch to improve some times.  Nevertheless, my times look like crap compared to the times today, 8 years later.  I may have to get back in the lab!  Smiley

Great job Zallard!
Edit history:
zallard1: 2013-05-14 03:18:29 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Thank you Kasht! I don't really know anything about the history of the competition in this game since I'm pretty new to time attacking SPO, so I essentially used the current published TAS as my guide to get my IL times. It's neat to see that TG had a bounty on the game to inspire some competition; those are pretty great times! The only fight out of my times that uses a pause is Gabby Jay, however I paused for Narcis in my single segment run to make certain my Super Bar filled up fully before I threw rapid punches (his dizzy meter is a bit finicky with most of the strategies that he forces me to use).

The only strategy I didn't use from that was for Narice Prince, because he requires a hefty amount of luck and a frame perfect punch to get to 8.43, so I used the strategy from a previous TAS by adelikat that maxes out at 8.47 that doesn't utilize a frame perfect punch, which is pretty worth it considering I only got the luck to get 8.66 once out of many, many attempts. The other fights on the IL table that aren't perfect are: Dragon Chan, Keike Kagero, and Mad Clown, which would be alot tougher to improve since they can only possibly be improved by 0.02 each while Narcis can be improved by 0.19 (0.23 if you're crazy enough to attempt the current strategy). If you want to take a crack at the remaining IL times, be my guest! Or if you just want to improve your own times for fun, that's fine too. Feel free to contact me if you want help with anything, I'm always happy to get more people playing this game Wink
Hi zallard1, I used this very old TAS by Genisto and Phil back in the day.  I was also in conversations with Jarboo and Jeff Romanko from Jarboo's SPO page.  I did a lot of research back then and since my time was limited, I couldn't get the TAS times.  It is still amazing how far adelikat, Genisto, and Phil have pushed this game to come up with the fastest times, and a lot of the strategies are different from what I was using way back then so I'm motivated to play this again.

Narcis Prince is a bitch!  However, that is the one I'll be going after.  Luckily I'm a very patient guy so I'll give it a shot as time allows.  I will most likely stream it so I can go back to it later and get some stats like you did once for some of your attempts.

I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get back in the game so stay tuned, I will be hitting you up soon!  Smiley
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Yeah I figured you were using an older version of the TAS, which makes sense considering most of your times are approaching those times.

It's real interesting to see this ranking page. It pains me to see that the current Narcis Prince IL is slower than 1st and 2nd place on their chart. It makes me really want to improve it, but it's such a grind to get the luck to do so. I actually have a trick or 2 for Narcis, but I need to make some informative videos to show them off and explain how they work so the strategy is more accessible to people (I've been a bit lazy on putting them together). Sometime soon I actually want to get everyone who's even remotely interested in running Super Punch Out to join in and stream IL attempts simultaneously for a day or so (dubbed Narcis Prince Day). Mr K suggested this to me a while ago, which seems like a good idea to have multiple people running it instead of just one; it'll greatly increase the odds of success. It could be a fun event I think and hopefully one of us could get the luck to smash the current IL time Smiley

Also those times that Bryan Christenson tried to submit makes me laugh; just totally outrageous/impossible times, haha.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from zallard1:
Also those times that Bryan Christenson tried to submit makes me laugh; just totally outrageous/impossible times, haha.

I also like how 6 people matched the TAS time on Heike Kagero Roll Eyes
Note that Jarboo's site is very very old!!!  And when I mean old, I mean that the times in that site were most likely achieved between 2002 and 2005.  Unfortunately it seems like the site is down, but thanks to archive.org you can browse through the entire website and look at their strategies for each fighter as well as the rankings.  He even has a section on emulation lol.  Here is the full URL in case you guys wanna check it out: http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://membres.multimania.fr/jarboo/IndexGB.html

Zallard, we should talk sometime.  I'm trying to get streaming setup so any help there will be appreciated.  I like the Narcis Prince IL event for the TAS time!  Oh and Bryan Christenson's times are a joke.  I even tried to reach him many years ago but no response. 

As for Heike Kagero's time, I'm not surprised so many people hit the TAS time.  The TAS strategy has been around for at least 11 years. Smiley
Edit history:
zallard1: 2013-05-16 01:20:08 pm
zallard1: 2013-05-16 01:11:48 pm
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Yeah that Heike time has been around since like, at the very least the first TAS by Phil & Genisto in 2004 (and I suppose even earlier than that according to Kasht). It'd be cool to know about the history of some of the old strategies, like who found what for each fight before the first Phil & Genisto TAS was created. Yeah I bet Bryan didn't respond, haha. Those times are far and away 100% impossible. It makes me laugh because his Aran Ryan and Heike Kagero times (7"93 and 8"42 respectively), don't even exist on the NTSC timer. You can only get 7"92 -> 7"94 or 8"41 -> 8"43.

You probably don't want to emulate my streaming setup, because it barely works and reeks of issues every other day. If I had one suggestion though, get a DVD recorder. It'll make streaming/recording at the same time very simple. If you wanna talk about anything else strategy wise or w/e, just let me know in this thread or shoot me a PM. I'll respond to either.

EDIT: That full URL for the Jarboo website isn't working for me, just the SPO times page works.
Edit history:
Akiteru: 2013-05-22 07:08:53 pm
Akiteru: 2013-05-22 07:08:39 pm
Akiteru: 2013-05-22 05:15:55 pm
Akiteru: 2013-05-22 05:14:37 pm
I'm not sure if this is known or not or just common sense, but I think it's a neat trick. It seems pausing can be used to manipulate the opponent's guard at the start of a phase depending on what you're holding. Holding up would keep the opponents guard up, holding down would keep it down and it doesn't waste any frames if you need to enter a phase right away with a punch. It also seems like it may be easier to hit some frame perfect punches with it. It's used in three of my videos:

Of course this is completely useless for ILs if you're planning on submitting due to how ugly it is, but it may be useful for people who want to match already frame perfect times as a personal goal.

Looking forward to the Narcis Prince day, that bastard needs to be put in his place.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Yeah I do know about that trick, however I just never used it because it breaks the flow of the game too much, and yeah it looks ugly. Especially if I did like a single segment run where I did that for 14 of the 16 fights, it'd just be really annoying to watch I feel. Nice times btw! I hope you'll join in for Narcis day whenever I figure it all out, because you would definitely be a big help in cutting those frames!
That second uppercut on Heike's second phase is brutal to time. Are there visual cues to look out for? Having a frame perfect phase 1 ruined because of it is pretty annoying.