Edit history:
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-16 11:05:36 am
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-15 03:01:11 am
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-15 01:56:53 am
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-14 10:10:00 pm
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-14 08:01:03 pm
Overfiendvip: 2016-01-14 07:59:49 pm
           never a frown
I made a better "spikesuit" pastebin, which touches on potential applications (including the theoretical 14% Speed one I mentioned in my previous post): http://pastebin.com/qUaVXHpv

---

Here are my X-Ray hall calculations, using room times executed by myself (seconds.frames):

X-Ray hall with single shinespark

X-Ray hall, using the shinespark - 4.10
X-Ray hall return (no speedkeep) - 7.20
X-Ray hall return (speedkeep) - 6.10
Movement between rooms (sparking through door transition into X-Ray hall and running into X-Ray hall return) - 0.08 and 0.36

Total (no speedkeep) - 12.14
Total (speedkeep) - 11.04

X-Ray hall with double shinespark

X-Ray hall, hover shinespark - 5.50
X-Ray hall return (shinespark suit) - 4.05
Movement between rooms (running through door transition into X-Ray hall and sparking into X-Ray hall on return) - 0.18 and 0.17

Total - 10.30

Surprisingly not the amount of time I was expecting it to save. I suppose that would be a relief to some people.

Some other interesting details regarding X-Ray hall that perhaps some are aware of is that it seems like, assuming you do not have a shinespark suit for the room when you get there, going for speedkeep on the way to X-Ray is totally worth doing. Even if you miss the speedkeep, the amount of speed you can build on the spikes can save up to 20 frames based on my initial testing, and actually acquiring the speedkeep would add about another 40 onto that. The room takes slightly under 10 seconds to get through without a shinespark suit and without a speedkeep on the way towards X-Ray, meaning the shinespark suit from Crocomire's room saves slightly under 5 seconds compared to speedkeep, and about 5.5 compared to no speedkeep, minus the time from whatever input errors occur as a result of carrying the shinespark suit to that location.
Edit history:
Reeve: 2016-01-15 02:41:34 pm
Really cool stuff, man! 16 seconds is crazy!!! If it saves this much, a place you could get a spark glitch is the sandpit right before leaving Maridia, which probably could be set without loosing that much time. Problem is, by watching Zoast's run on deertier, he uses a shinespark to reach the top door in Mt. Doom. If there's any other way to reach that door without loosing too much time, then it could be tested.

Coincidentaly I was talking to Behemoth today in regards of finding a way to setup the spark glitch to skip the Big Metroid with a shinespark. It would save less time than the 16 seconds for low%, but would still be interesting if it could be done. I'll try looking into it and see if I can come up with something.

---

Yeah, I remember when the glitch was found and the possibility of saving time in Mt. Doom. I think it would save around 25 seconds over Saturn's RBO iirc due to the time it takes to setup the glitch in the most optimal way, yet it is pretty big. Of course this is not the case anymore in terms of TAS due to the new findings for the any%, but it would be pretty cool if realtime runners could use it. The best spot I can think of to perform the spike glitch is the spikes where the seahorses emerge, the one right after the one you mentioned. You could charge the shinespark while going through the door, kill the first seahorse and use the spikes on the ground to set up the trick. The spot you mentioned seems a cool idea, but you would have to kill the head on the wall, otherwise it would keep shooting that annoying beam that takes a lot of health from Samus.

---

Damn! I really thought a double spark there would save more than that. That's a shame, but at the same time it is a relief. Definitely not worth trying a trick like that for almost nothing.

---

Thanks for testing these stuff, Overfiend!
Edit history:
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2016-01-17 12:13:44 am
lxx4xNx6xxl: 2016-01-16 11:16:06 pm
My name is 4N6/Forensics.
So here is an old 100% WIP play through minimal save state TAS my brother made a long time ago. I think it was only 200 rerecords or less. He was really tired around lower norfair and tourian is when he just got so tired he didn't care anymore not like that matters because there would be anything you could take from there anyway. It does however have some good strategies that can be used to this day so enjoy!!!

https://www.mediafire.com/?1z7clw9y825b8v8

Also something else to note is this video was mainly focused on In-Game time.
I'll check this video as soon as I get home today! Thanks for posting, Forensics!

Btw, for anyone that wants to try, I was wondering if it wouldn't be faster in a 100% run to get the Super Missile pack in the left of Wrecked Ship (After defeating Phantoon) and then use a super short charge to get rid of the blocks on the way to the Super Missile on the right side. In this case you could use the beam to clean the blocks when returning from Phantoon instead of a Power Bomb (if that even makes any difference).
My name is 4N6/Forensics.
Quote from Reeve:
I'll check this video as soon as I get home today! Thanks for posting, Forensics!

Btw, for anyone that wants to try, I was wondering if it wouldn't be faster in a 100% run to get the Super Missile pack in the left of Wrecked Ship (After defeating Phantoon) and then use a super short charge to get rid of the blocks on the way to the Super Missile on the right side. In this case you could use the beam to clean the blocks when returning from Phantoon instead of a Power Bomb (if that even makes any difference).

I've tested it a long time ago and it was slower overall.
Here's a comparison video of the bowling room done normally and a consistent setup for the strat to clear the robots and missile statue in the room below. I've seen this trick attempted in runs before but not with any clear strategy in place, just shoot and hope for the best springs to mind. This however seems to work if you carefully follow the exact set of imputs. A detailed description is contained within on Youtube but the video should be pretty self explanatory. Slowing it down to see when all the imputs are made really helps for this. This is potentially a fairly big time saver (up to 7 seconds) as the robots can sometimes be in much worse positions (far left) than in this video so it shouldn't go unsused imo. While I performed the two videos and the description, credits go to Reeve for coming up with the strategy, and Smokey for encoding the videos and putting them on Youtube.

Good luck !