Sad
<- 123456
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I want off the ride....
mannnn i'm feeling soo bad about this upcoming race x-x; I haven't had luck in doing anything serious from start to finish. And W2-w3 confuse me what with the new potion strats.. >< Darn it. Oh well... work isn't busy this week.. >.>
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-02-02 11:21:16 pm
Professional Second Banana
Practice and safety saves are your best friends.

Side note to FF5 runners: both Deln and I have now discovered the hard way that saving/resetting before the grinding segment (after getting the black chocobo in world 1) seems to produce a 100% encounter rate for Ramuh in the Istory region forest.  So if you're planning to grind on MiniDragons and have to reset in the early game, I'd recommend planning to either kill Ramuh (throwing 7-8 flame scrolls usually does the job) or grind on Black Flames instead.
I must simply laugh.
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, im getting all nervous just looking at the layout :3
Edit history:
Neerrm: 2014-02-03 09:03:25 am
I'm excited to watch this race! Puwexil, the layout looks good, but at the same time I also feel like there's too much blank space in the middle there. For example, I'm not sure it's necessary to have timers for all of the separate runners set up from the get-go, but at the same time I realize that since you're running a game that's smack dab in the middle of everything and you need to optimize it in such a way that you can update everything on the fly. Hmm.

Also, I think it'd be cool to have a custom made Final Fantasy banner for this; could be something simple, or if someone photoshop savvy wanted to go all out that'd be cool too!
So Hype about this race, hopefully this goes off well!
We now have some banner artwork courtesy of the always-awesome Kari Fry!  Going to put that in the center of the layout along with some text titles (maybe killing the FF4-6 logos on the top & bottom to free space for text).

Image is 320px wide, so if anyone wants to use it on your Twitch channel to promote the relay, go right ahead.
this banner is incredible
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Man! Another PB from eLmaGus! 3:32:37! Congrats to him!

That banner is perfect, and the fact that we are getting onto Nico is AMAZING. Great work puwexil! On a side note, a guy I work with hooked my up with a TV this morning so I can practice for the next couple days before I get home !! I will be setting my RTA PB on Thursday!
Very awesome banner! The hupe levels are rising.
Updated banner with titles:

I feel like the characters on the banner should run from left (rydia) to right (terra) to match the title "FF IV-V-VI relay race", otherwise it's awesome. I'm really looking forward to watch the race.
Can we rename the FF6 Opera incentive the Spooniest Bard contest?
I like that name!
Personal text
That's awesome

I wish we had a banner Sad
Edit history:
Rilko: 2014-02-09 03:22:03 am
Hey everyone Smiley

Just wanted to say thanks for this amazing relay race!
It was really entertaining to watch and I was honestly surprised by how great chat was throughout the event (especially given that it was > 3k viewers for the most part). You could actually discuss the game, ask questions, make jokes and everything and would get actual responses instead of emote-spam Cheesy

/edit: Also Keefry posted an awesome picture with "team logos". in the stream's chat. I don't find it at the moment, but it would be worth re-posting here if someone saved it.
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2014-02-09 08:52:09 am
Sir VG: 2014-02-09 08:47:20 am
Fucking Weeaboo
Here they are, from the Kee_fry twitter: https://twitter.com/kee_fry/status/432268112218443776/photo/1
I want off the ride....
http://www.redbubble.com/people/misskari/collections/267056-speed-running
https://twitter.com/kee_fry/status/432596422047703041
https://twitter.com/kee_fry/status/432596777686937600

I'm just gonna drop these here...
RACE T-SHIRTS
Those shirts are amazing.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-02-14 02:06:38 pm
puwexil: 2014-02-14 02:03:04 pm
A bit late, but wanted to say thanks to everyone who played in and/or helped with the relay, especially Kari Fry for the banner artwork and cookie for running the Japanese restream!  I was hoping to peak at 2k viewers and have a sub-hour spread between the teams at the end; and we met the latter and smashed the former (5219 viewer peak during FF4!).  Here's a couple of retrospective thoughts:

Team balance: Pretty good for the most part, though if we really wanted optimally balanced teams then the 'bad luck' team wouldn't have worked (putting Rane+MV together meant that when obdajr joined, I had to either put him with me, LCC, or Essentia, giving that team a bit of an edge based on at-the-time PBs).

Stream/tech setup: I thought the restreaming setup worked out really well (compared to using Multitwitch or some equivalent), since it brought all of the viewers together and made it a lot easier to promote the event (5k viewers wouldn't have happened if Twitch hadn't approved my application to be on their front page); and other than a few hiccups with buffering, the fact that my FF5 run had artificial lead because of the setup, and the commentary being offset by Twitch streaming delay, it seemed like the layout helped the viewers follow the races pretty well.

1 drawback to the restreaming setup is that it limits the relay to 4 teams; but after thinking it over, I think having 4 teams of really good runners makes for a much more hype race that's easier for viewers to follow than something larger-scale and more varied in skill level would be.

Incentives: I'm a bit iffy on this.  Having some charity marathon-style incentives definitely added some fun to the runs (especially the opera - I LOVED how each FF6 runner put their own unique twist on it); but having them change the run times definitely made it confusing for the viewers to follow who was actually ahead (especially with incentives like NeoExdeath that make the run slower in real-time but faster in relay time).

Another idea I came up with a few days ago is instead of having incentives directly affect the FF4-6 runs, to have them be votes towards adding another SNES RPG to the relay (something like Chrono Trigger, Lufia II, etc that's reasonably popular and has an active speedrunning scene that overlaps with the FF4-6 community), though this would have to be the next day or weekend - having the bonus game directly follow FF6 would make scheduling impossible (all possible bonus game runners would need to be available on the same date on top of the FF4-6 runners); and plus I think that a 13-14 hour stream is long enough already.

If anybody else has feedback let me know - I'm probably going to shoot to have another FF4-6 relay later this year (maybe August or September, after SGDQ), possibly with different categories for some of the games if we have enough possbile runners for them.

Also, here's the VOD links if anyone's interested:

FF4: http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/c/3692933
FF5: http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/c/3692990
FF6: http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/c/3693109
Entire stream (for the hardcore only!): http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil/b/501743422
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Very well said Puwexil. Thanks again for having us!
I must simply laugh.
Well i'll join the ranks and say this was an amazing event and thank you all for making this so special! For my personal feedback, for simplicity i will use a similar structure as puwexil did:

Team balance: honestly i didnt think that would be the case, but the balance was great. people were neck in neck for the most part of the entire Relay, did not expect that at all.

Stream/tech setup:i cannot see a better way for this to be done. the only thing that i would say could be improved would be a small incentive counter or something for the teams so people could follow how many minutes a team made up by incentives so far. Also i have to agree that 4 teams should be the maximum for this, any more would make it impossible to get a good overview on what is happening.

Incentives: i liked the incentives, was pretty intense going for them. if there was a way to keep track of them for the viewers (like i mentioned earlier) this could be done in the next relay aswell, and i hope it does. it gives this race character and difference from normal runs.

Misc:I was amazed by how good the chat was, kudos to the viewers that was amazing. Also the joining in/out of the skype call was awesome, people could join if they felt something need to be added or it was too quiet on the stream. we could even make it possible for more runners of the games to join the skype next time(brossentia comes to mind first for example, always good on commentating).

As for the bonus game i see two possibilities here:
1)What puwexil said: play the bonus game out later that week/next weekend while incentives are being met.
2)Have people vote a month beforehand and add the bonus game then, giving potential runners a month to prepare.

All in all this was a great erxperience for me, especially being able to lurk in the skype call all the time and i want to thank everybody again for making this possible. im looking forward to future events of this Smiley

cheers eLmaGus-
Edit history:
Khobahi: 2014-02-14 03:17:17 pm
Khobahi: 2014-02-14 03:16:55 pm
Thanks for the relay is was very entertaining as i managed to catch the entire thing.

The stream layout was awesome and i agree anything more than 4 teams would take away from the feel of this.

I was thinking the same thing eLmaGus said and having another small timer (if possible to fit) to just show how much incentive time would get take off. (if you still have them) I caught a lot of people in chat asking which incentives were met and tried to answer as often as i could.

As a viewer, the constant commentary and everything that was happening on the Skype call was awesome and i think very well received by all the people in the stream!

I look forward to you running this again in the future, and maybe even joining a future on as this event alone pretty much brought me from the cusp of thinking of speed running to actually practicing and fully learning the routes myself =)
Since the Twitch VOD of the full relay stream will be expiring in a few weeks, I've made a Youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxmuedQTLk9284jCFgfDoHccX0k_8zsxC

And if you're not aware, the next SNES FF Relay will be on September 13th at 10AM EDT - more info at https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/fall_2014_snes_final_fantasy_relay_race__saturday_september_13th__10am_edt_gmt4.html.