Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Professional Second Banana
The incentives are all very possible to do reliably with practice, so either practice until you're confident or don't go for them. 

If I broke up Team Bad Luck I'd never hear the end of it from the runners! Cry  I'll go ahead and switch obdajr and eLmaGus- to try to improve the balance.

Re: the streaming layout, my plan is for everyone to stream to their normal channels, with me screencapping the game captures (cropping out timers/webcams/etc) to make a race view.  If anyone's not planning to stream with a mic I'll play their stream audio, otherwise I'll make a playlist of Final Fantasy music to play under the Skype call.  Expect a PM soon to collect stream layout samples and Skype info.
will you manage to screencap the other teams while you're running FF5 ?
also if you stream your FF5 run directly from game capture while restreaming the other teams from twitch, your run will be at least 20s ahead due to twitch delay (but that's not really important because the race won't be that close and it's not the last game)
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-01-19 04:55:44 pm
Exactly - shouldn't really matter once we're several hours in.  Plus, we'll be using a timer of some sorts to capture the final time for each run in case of a close finish.

Also, to shorten the event by about an hour, I don't think we need to watch game endings - once a runner beats their final boss, they should wait 1 minute to make sure the kill is caught on stream, then we'll switch off to the new runner.
Been looking forward to this race since I heard about it.

Just to provide some helpful links for when the race is on (what i will be using)

http://www.multitwitch.tv/elmagus/obdajr/crumps2/deuceler

http://www.multitwitch.tv/puwexil/inkalex/raneofsotn/deln

http://www.multitwitch.tv/dreamboum/thelcc/mistermv/essentiafour

Each link is the list of runners running each game. Though the runs will finish at different times you can manually edit a name in the link to change to a different runner.

Good luck to all the runners and hopefully i can learn from this so i can start running myself.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I agree all the incentives are possible with practice, I suppose I was playing Devil's Advocate and throwing scenarios out there? Either way, after reading my posts it seemed kind of like a moot point as I will more then likely be going for all the incentives haha.

I will just stream normally  but be directing people towards your stream, Puwexil. (which I'm assuming will be the "re-stream")
Zeromus is the only TERRIBLE time loss if we fail it.  Honestly, that one scares me since I don't ever count damage, I just go by feel.  Calbrena is a few minutes, but nothing horrendous, Zeromus at that point is 15+ lost if you fail and cant cycle the same encounter to kill him
I want off the ride....
Quote from crumps2:
Zeromus is the only TERRIBLE time loss if we fail it.  Honestly, that one scares me since I don't ever count damage, I just go by feel.  Calbrena is a few minutes, but nothing horrendous, Zeromus at that point is 15+ lost if you fail and cant cycle the same encounter to kill him

Meh, real men own up and drop Zeromus, cause after this point you can just Zerk Kain and let him start working on the 'Mus. He will still wreck him. If you really need backup strats for this I can fully detail how to rebound as much as possible. The only thing that can screw this is a badly timed flare but if you are good, you should know when its coming and you can easily fit in a wall pre-flare and prevent Rosa from dropping. If Kain falls it isn't that hard to recover. Then the only troubles is meteo, but if he does that there is a trick to avoiding that (he uses a subpar version that usually is pretty weak).

So ultimately the only real challenge is recovering from the counter weak if you use White, but if you use Flare, the counter won't be AS BAD (it'll still be hairy).
basically ( asking if Im reading it right) you trigger specific counters based on your attack, or did you just mean timing-wise? This is how little I truly know that fight.  Hell, having heard so many different health numbers, I never have known his true HP either... 

To me, there's no backup strats to that fight, I win it like I should or its over.  No WR would have Zeromus regen his health, so I never bothered to learn past there as its a waste, baring races like these.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
"Real men" haha whatever, with the way damage works in this game it's a crap shoot. The only real way to do it is to play it safe which I've never been a fan of, this may be the only incentive I don't go after just because of the risk. It would be a horrible pain in the ass to go back through the lunar subterranean area just to prove your masculinity. I have used this strat before in practice and gotten it, but like Crumps I go off feel, and rebounding if you miss isn't the end of the world, just another time waster. Like I said before I like the idea of incentives, but I like the idea of having a faster end time much better.
Im with Dueceler here.  Depends on where the race stands right then.  Since Obda's in it, I get the feeling I'll be behind anyways (usually am) so I'll most likely go for it knowing he will. 
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Oh man, congrats to Deln on a 4:29:14 in Final fantasy V last night!! My team just leveled up!
I'm a scrubby noob
Quote from Deuceler:
Oh man, congrats to Deln on a 4:29:14 in Final fantasy V last night!! My team just leveled up!

Aaaand, he beat his PB again! Congrats again to Deln on a 4:27:39 in Final Fantasy V!
So here's my first draft of the time rewards for the challenges (I made the Calbrena and NeoExdeath ones higher because doing those battles adds time to the run).  Also, to make the FF6 Joker Doom challenge more meaningful, I'm thinking it should mean hitting each reel the 1st time they spin by (on the currently active reel) in addition to getting 7|7|BAR 1st try.

Any thoughts before I finalize?

FF4
Direct airship landing at Troia (-1 minute)
Defeat Calbrena (merged doll) (-3 minutes)
Final hit on Zeromus with direct attack/spell (no reflected spells) (-2 minutes)

FF5
Direct airship landing at Crescent Island Base (1st visit) (-1 minute)
Avoid all skippable Big Bridge battles without stopping (-2 minutes)
Defeat NeoExdeath (no Kiss of Blessing on either form) (-5 minutes)

FF6
Direct airship landing at Kefka's Tower (-1 minute)
1st try Reverse Joker Doom on Ultros/Chupon (-2 minutes)
SDA's Got Talent (viewers vote for best opera performance - no tool-assistance allowed MV Wink ) (-3 minutes for 1st place, -1 minute for 2nd place)
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Those all look just fine to me, it's enough time to be rewarding without dicking over people who don't do them. Well done, sir.

Also just to throw it out there, my run starts at 6am my time, so if I'm cranky or lethargic for a little bit - that's why!
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
This is going to be kind of long, just fair warning to everyone -

So I currently work two week on two weeks off, outside of town - staying at a camp for the two weeks I'm at work. I have a normal room that I stay in, and I have a room alternate for the two weeks I'm off. I'm staying an extra week (so working three weeks, taking one week off), and since my alternate came back to work I had to switch rooms for the week. That's all fine and dandy, except the room I'm staying in HAS NO TV. This normally wouldn't be a problem, except now I have my SNES and FFIV with nowhere to practice/play. Basically I won't be playing the game for the next week, and considering I was practicing everything up to the D.Machin and planning on hammering late game stuff this entire week - that really sucks ass. I will still be participating of course, I was just bummed out and figured I would have to share that with everyone - although the 5/6/7 should be plenty of time to de-rust all that stuff, it sucks.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Crumps PB - 3:32:41

eLmaGus PB - 3:35:50 !!!!!

Nice work gents!
Nice!  I'm definitely getting more and more hyped for the relay with how close the times are getting.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-01-31 03:43:54 pm
Speaking of hype, I think we need some better team names than boring numbers.  Here's some quick ideas I thought of - anybody have any better ones (preferably short-ish so they fit into the 4-way race stream layout)?

Team Y Burn:
FF4-eLmaGus-
FF5-puwexil
FF6-Dreamboum

Team EGG:
FF4-obdajr
FF5-Incalex
FF6-LCC

Team WaterHag:
FF4-crumps2
FF5-RaneOfSoTN
FF6-mistermv

Team Ralse:
FF4-Deuceler
FF5-Deln
FF6-Essentia
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
lol Team WaterHag
Team EGG sounds FABULous~
I want off the ride....
WaterHag doesn't make sense anymore since DEADward is no longer a thing. I need to converse with my team and we'll get a new one shortly.
Everything's better with Magitek
I'm just glad I'm not team Draco. Wink
I'm a scrubby noob
Quote from LCC:
Team EGG sounds FABULous~

More like, it sounds EGGcellent!
Excited to announce that we're going to have a restream of at least part of the relay on Nico Live (the main video sharing/streaming community in Japan), courtesy of cookie!

Nico broadcast URL (live broadcasts on Nico have unique URLs): http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv168019141
cookie's community (Nico equivalent of a Twitch/Youtube channel): http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co1286632
Also, here's my 1st draft of the stream layout - any feedback?

I'm going to see if I can hit up one of my artist friends to do some kind of banner to go in the black space in the middle, or if that fails just put some text titles there.