--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Tide: 2016-01-21 09:21:30 am
Insanity Prelude
Hi everyone,

Having received interest from all the players that I am aware of, I wanted to make this topic to figure out the logistics of the event. As you may recall, last year, we had a relay showcase of each of the three games. Since we had a few more people picking up different games in the series, I figured that we will try to do a race this year to spice things up a little.

To do:
The primary thing that needs to be determined is a date that works for all the runners. Tentatively, I'm thinking that Saturday is probably the best time because 1) The relay will probably take at least 16 hours in total 2) Because of the above, putting this on a weekday is just not feasible. April will probably be a bad month for me, but February/March are ok options. If both of those don't work, I would suggest having this take place after RPG Limit Break, maybe again in July. This will give all the players additional time to practice since I know a few of us have games in RPG Limit Break and would need to practice those games instead. 

Second, I want to finalize what I predict will be teams. This isn't difficult since we only have a handful runners, some of which only run 1 game in the series. That way people know which game they are running and can get ready for it, come time for the relay. Note that I am not opposed to having more than 2 teams - just that to my knowledge, there are only around 6 players which is just enough for 2 teams:

Team 1                              Team 2
Shadow Hearts                        Dylaneka (6:50:XX)          Gerrick        (6:18:XX)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant          TheLCC  (6:16:XX)      BowietheHero  (6:33:XX)
Shadow Hearts: FtNW            TideRuglia (4:19:XX)          Tranq89      (4:44:XX)

Estimated +/- Diff'n: Team 1: -8:XX

These are the best times for each runner that I am aware of. Please let me know if you've PB'd since then OR you picked up another game in the series since it could change whose on whose team. Note that I am aware that LCC recently rerouted Shadow Hearts: Covenant, so I anticipate the difference between his and Bowie's time to possibly be lower. Also, despite the difference in my time and Tranq's time, FtNW is a little more volatile, so the difference in times there are probably not as significant.

Third, it would be nice if we could get additional people to help with the commentary. While Gerrick and LCC can do commentary for Covenant and FtNW respectively, I rather not have them be up for 10 hours. Please let me know if you are interested. Since the differences between each game is pretty significant, I rather not have the runners commentate on their own since it can be very confusing for the audience.

Fourth, I've spoken to elmagus about this already, but if someone can help me work out how to set up a relay properly, that would be terrific. I plan to speak to Puwexil about using RPG Limit Break's channel once we figure out a date, but just in case, I also want to be familiar with what the set up is going to be so we can stream it in case that doesn't work. I know it's not too complicated (mainly restreaming through HitBbox and using OBS to capture both windows), but someone else probably also needs to be able to do this since my internet quality is Rogers.jpg.

Fifth, determine what the pass off point to each game should be. End of credits is good since it gives the next runner ample time to get ready after their team mate is done. But I am up for alternatives since JRPGs endings can be quite lengthy. Some discussion here would be good.

Finally, layouts. If someone wants to make one for this or let me know of an artist, that would cool. I'm not too concerned about this for now, but it will be nice to have something a little better looking for the audience.

And with that, that's it! A little lengthy, but I've never actually done something like this before, so I wanted to get all my concerns out. Thanks for reading and let's hope this thing is successful Cheesy
Thread title:  
This sounds good. I'm sure I can get someone to make the layouts for it. As far as re-streaming and such, I'm useless because I'm not familiar with the process. But I'm in. I would prefer to do it on a Saturday, as Work during the week, but whenever is probably fine. We did the relay last year on the Limit Break channel so I doubt it will be hard to get it on there again. Worse case we can always just do a relay of all three games again.
Insanity Prelude
Yeah, I don't imagine there to be any real problems. I think most likely at this point waiting until July is a better idea. I rather do  a better job, but take longer than do one sloppier just to say that its done. In the meantime, Gerrik, can you contact the artist you're thinking of? It would give him/her like 6 months to prepare a layout, which should be more than enough. Assuming I don't hear back from people in a few weeks, I'm going to assume that everyone is onboard for waiting till the summer.

It will almost definitely be on the weekend just because people have work, so yeah. I'll contact elmagus a bit later to get more details although the date is still the first thing I need to confirm with folks
Edit history:
Tide: 2016-02-04 07:30:05 am
Insanity Prelude
Just to make sure that this idea doesn't die before it gets going, I've sent a tweet to those of you that have twitter and a twitch PM to those that don't. Please pick a date that works for you. I was originally thinking of July but LCC reminded me that 2 very important events are happening that time so we can either do weekend of March 5 or weekend of June 4. June is a bit farther away so its harder to predict what will happen then, but the plus side is that there doesn't seem to be any speedrunning events scheduled that period and RPGLB would be over.

On the other hand, March is closer and we can probably just finalize some stuff while the runs are still fresh with a few of us and not needing as much de-rust. I don't have anybody really lined up for commentary, but I know Aithere has done Asia% for SH1 so maybe I'll contact him and see if he wants to help out. I can also maybe help out with a portion of Shadow Hearts 2 commentary. Otherwise, we're most likely going to be commentating on each of our own runs so it will be a little different.

As for cut off points, my suggestion is that the pass occur before the ending credits play. Meaning for example, in SH2, the pass be handed before the ending song plays (basically after Yuri gets impaled more or less). This should give about 2-3 minutes before the switch occurs. If someone has a better solution, please list it.
Edit history:
Gerrick: 2016-02-04 08:51:48 pm
That's probably fine for SH2. SH1 swap can happen after the drawn scenes are done. i think it's like 3 minutes long. It's been a while since I've timed it. I'm good with either day, just need to derust I haven't run SH1 in months.

As for Commentary, I can do commentary for all three games if necessary. I know the mechanics well enough. I need to become more familiar with some of the route changes in SH2, and FtNW though, as some improvements have been made since I was intimate with the games.
Insanity Prelude
Seems like most people are okay with March 5th, so it will be within a month from now. I've spoken to Puwexil about using RPGLB to showcase the runs and he's okay with it. Just need to figure out the logistics there. So I think we're mostly ready to go. I'll send a confirmation once I figure out the last bits of the logistics since it seems we have our cut off points as well.

I'll see if we can have some people onboard for the commentary. Gerrick and I can help out with SH2 commentary and I will see if Aithere can help out with SH1 commentary for a little bit. Is there any objections to bringing people who have played the game but may not necessary be runners themselves? That will open up the pool greatly.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from Tide:
Is there any objections to bringing people who have played the game but may not necessary be runners themselves? That will open up the pool greatly.

I can talk about Koudelka for 15 hours if you want.
Insanity Prelude
Date is set to March 5th, starting at 9:00 am. See you all there!
twitch.tv/Symm_
Quote from rudyxx:
Quote from Tide:
Is there any objections to bringing people who have played the game but may not necessary be runners themselves? That will open up the pool greatly.

I can talk about Koudelka for 15 hours if you want.

I mean Koudelka is technically apart of the main Shadow Hearts series, but I think you are currently the only runner xD