Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-03-14 01:18:45 pm
Vulajin: 2016-03-14 01:18:29 pm
sumichu: 2016-03-06 07:34:16 pm
sumichu: 2016-02-19 03:09:50 pm
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Submissions are now closed! Thanks for submitting your runs - we'll be back with the final selections by April 3!

http://gamesdonequick.com/profile
http://gamesdonequick.com/submission-guide

Per the feedback we've received, the committee worked on some detailed guidelines for a GDQ submission, and we've placed it (along with upcoming deadlines) on the website. Smiley

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here, or send us an email through our contact page.

Please note that we don't accept submission pitches via email.  Everything must be submitted through the form when submissions open.
Thread title:  
Thanks for the updated submissions guide Sumichu.  Hoping to get Final Fight 2 into SGDQ successfully this time; through trial and effort that is.
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Welp, I gotta submit early as half of the submission week is during another marathon I'm going to.
Thank you for the submission guide. This answers a ton of questions, and gives everyone an idea of what the submissions committee is looking for. Very helpful. Thanks.
Sonic's biggest fan at heart
So, submissions are starting in April, right? Will the link be posted here?
Dapper as fuck.
March 6th actually, and the Games Done Quick website referenced in the first post is where you do it.
Oh my, those submissions are quite soon.  I suppose it's good that you guys are giving yourselves a lot of buffer time this go around.  We're gonna have to #bookit if we wanna get in new runs before that deadline though!
I had a quick question. I was wondering if there was a bias against submitting GB games or a preference for NES/SNES/N64 games over them? I have a number of GB submissions I believe would be fitting in terms of consistency/time/content, etc., but I'm wondering if they will be a longer shot to get in because of being on GB. Also, would it be silly to submit a run I performed at the event last year if nothing significant has changed in the run?

Thanks so much guys for all the work you do! Can't wait for the event!
Is there a specific reason that multiple runs shown simultaneously must be a race (Same exact game, same exact category), or is this a case of "We've never tried something else and don't know how well it would go."
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from johncarls:
I had a quick question. I was wondering if there was a bias against submitting GB games or a preference for NES/SNES/N64 games over them? I have a number of GB submissions I believe would be fitting in terms of consistency/time/content, etc., but I'm wondering if they will be a longer shot to get in because of being on GB. Also, would it be silly to submit a run I performed at the event last year if nothing significant has changed in the run?

Thanks so much guys for all the work you do! Can't wait for the event!

First, the easy answer: a repeat run without major changes is not a strong candidate, unless it's an extremely popular game.

Second, the hard answer: there's no "console filter". As long as there's no technical restriction keeping it from being played, it can be considered. Gameboy games can be considered, absolutely. However, given the magnitude of the gameboy library, just make sure to keep in mind the number of people who would be familiar with a specific game. While obscure games aren't an automatic reject, we can only dedicate so much time to them.
Thanks Cool Matty. I have a Mega Man game, a possible awful game and a known-enough game, so I think I feel comfortable submitting them. I just wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for. It seems you are saying that you prefer popular/known GB titles (say in the Mario/Mega Man/Zelda series) which I can understand/is expected.

I look forward to seeing if I can run again, and if not still enjoying the event Smiley Which charity is this year for?
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
The summer's charity is posted on the website: Doctors Without Borders. We have not finalized a charity for next AGDQ yet, those discussions are ongoing.
Thanks Matty. Same as last year. Cool charity. Appreciate the advice Smiley
Wooooo! I get to submit a run to a GDQ for my first time. Smiley

The submission guidelines are amazing. Good work everyone involved. thumbsup
Edit history:
Skybilz: 2016-03-02 10:32:43 pm
I'm going to be submitting two SMW categories. One of the categories will be a No Star World race. About six months (or less) ago, there was a SMW No Star World tournament. The person who I will be submitting with (Authorblues) and myself had a close race. The video I would be linking is from one of my team channels (Southern Speedruns) with some people who would probably be doing commentary for our race should it be accepted. My question is that is it okay to use this race video from the tournament. There is commentary from three of our friends who will be there as well as me and Auth. Auth and I race this game almost weekly and figured that this video exhibits a far better showing than any ordinary race that was done. Please let me know if it's okay to submit with a video from my team channel. Thank you!
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-03-02 10:36:43 pm
Quote from Skybilz:
I'm going to be submitting two SMW categories. One of the categories will be a No Star World race. About six months (or less) ago, there was a SMW No Star World tournament. The person who I will be submitting with (Authorblues) and myself had a close race. The video I would be linking is from one of my team channels (Southern Speedruns) with some people who would probably be doing commentary for our race should it be accepted. My question is that is it okay to use this race video from the tournament. There is commentary from three of our friends who will be there as well as me and Auth. Auth and I race this game almost weekly and figured that this video exhibits a far better showing than any ordinary race that was done. Please let me know if it's okay to submit with a video from my team channel. Thank you!

All of that is fine assuming the commentary isn't somehow inappropriate. The intent of the video is to demonstrate that you have completed a run of the game, under the estimate you've provided, and also to show us what the category being proposed looks like as a speedrun. It would be hard to say that what you've described wouldn't meet those criteria.
I'll go back and listen to it. I'm pretty sure things were kept to pg-13 standards because that is my typical audience and the three people doing commentary are fairly clean on their own streams.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-03-02 10:44:02 pm
Quote from Skybilz:
I'll go back and listen to it. I'm pretty sure things were kept to pg-13 standards because that is my typical audience and the three people doing commentary are fairly clean on their own streams.

I'll go ahead and clear this up now, because I know it's been an oft-repeated concern. One swear word buried in your submission video is not going to get anybody instantly rejected. When we're screening submissions, we're looking to be confident that we can have the runner represent our event and the associated charity. If the runner has an established track record of participating in community events, especially GDQs or charity events, while conducting themselves appropriately, then we don't necessarily need to closely scrutinize the language in a specific run submission. If a runner has no such track record, that's when we use the video as an opportunity for the runner to show us that they can adhere to our standards.
Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up too Smiley
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Submissions are now open and accessible through your profile: http://gamesdonequick.com/profile
So I can't access the SGDQ submission page. It prompts me that I am banned from SGDQ but i'd still like to submit in case I get unbanned before SGDQ.
Just to confirm, is it allowed to submit an emulator run as your submission video, as long as you'll play it on console in the marathon?
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Submitted. Wish this would've happened after I ran my run at SRX on Sunday, but oh well. Paws crossed.
Quote from garbanzoguy:
Just to confirm, is it allowed to submit an emulator run as your submission video, as long as you'll play it on console in the marathon?

Yes, this is permitted.
Edit history:
Poochy.EXE: 2016-03-10 04:25:07 am
Poochy.EXE: 2016-03-10 04:11:20 am
Poochy.EXE: 2016-03-10 03:42:52 am
Poochy.EXE: 2016-03-10 03:42:44 am
Poochy.EXE: 2016-03-10 03:37:54 am
Two sorta-last-minute questions:

1. Is it OK if the video has no commentary at all? I'm a quiet runner and I don't plan on doing any commentary. (Also I need sound cues since it's a blindfolded run.)

2. If I want to submit a blindfolded run, does the video have to of a blindfolded run as well, or is it acceptable to have a video that wasn't recorded blindfolded, but uses the same route and only tricks that could be consistently done blindfolded?