Sad
<- 123
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Gets the cake.
I just wanted to say that this was by far my most positive GDQ experience overall. The location was great, the event spaces were MASSIVE, and the hotel was otherwise really nice. The moments that I caught of the stream were good (amazing layout, imo. This just keeps getting better every event) and when I was on couch it felt like oldschool GDQ fun.

Only negative I'd say is the breakfast, but it's only really a negative to me because it was so small I didn't even bother trying to eat it. I just went to panera or the shop in the lobby every day (and real talk the girl at Panera bread was so cute I was totally okay with this :P)

Biggest positive for me is still the arcade. I'm still always willing to pay more registration for this to be a big focus of the event, because for a lot of us there aren't arcades with most of those games anywhere nearby.

Also wanted to echo the stuff about board games. I don't think having a sponsor for board games is a necessary use of funds, because a LOT of people bring board games and people are typically respectful of the games they grab and play. Maybe having a small banner above the table where all the games are laid out reminding people to be respectful of property that's not there can mitigate anything bad that could happen. Also, not sure this is necessarily something we can request, but having more of the round tables is better for a vast majority of board games so it would be nice to see more of those at AGDQ.

My only other minor complaint is about announcements leading up to the event. Can we get a news feed with reminders somewhere on the GDQ website, or something similar? I now know to keep an eye on the GDQ twitter and/or my GDQ account page, but I still feel like everything needs to be in a single location and imo a news feed with archives is the optimal solution.
While I unfortunately wasn't able to attend this GDQ, I was overall happy with how the event went from a viewing standpoint. I am continually impressed and enjoy the updates that come to the layouts for the runs (although one suggestion I may make is would it be possible to vary it up and have something like a different color scheme for every day, or perhaps based on console? I realize this would be more scenes to manage, but believe it should be doable. I'll make the suggestion in Tech feedback as well).

The biggest "gripe" I would have has already been mentioned, and it deals with the way that the ending of the marathon was handled. While I completely understand the incentive behind the race at the end of the marathon, I believe it was fairly unprofessional with how it was gone about. Announcing the race as an incentive when it was announced, there was a ton of pressure put on Skybilz hosting to plug as much as possible to hit incentive. The biggest issue I had with all of it is because it seemed rather contradictory to one of the golden rules of the marathon (or at least something that I thought was considered a big rule) and that is distracting from the run/runner currently performing. I feel like Lack's run became overshadowed by the incentive to hit the mark for the Super Mario 64 race. Selling it as an incentive for the race and not just to beat last year's number made it slightly more offensive, IMO. Lack is a greatly respected runner, and being listed as the finale, even if he didn't get to close the event, should have had at least a little more respect given to him in those regards. My suggestion would be to make the incentive known from day one. Make it that anytime a GDQ surpasses the previous high (whether you compare it to all GDQs or AGDQ and SGDQ, respectively), there will be a special "bonus" race or run at the end as an encore. Being mindful of the runner and not subjecting them to a "secondary focus" would look a great deal better and be better received.
The only thing I can complain about, as a viewer, is stop egging the crowd on. When the crowd gets noisy, it detracts from the run (this was a real problem during Super Metroid). I'm not sure what can be done about the crowd being noisy in general (guidelines?), but staff should not be egging them on. It's fine clapping when a runner performs a glitch/trick/something, but when the crowd starts shouting or chanting, it starts to get real annoying.

Other than that, another nice marathon. Great work, you all!
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
Don't ever say the word HOIP again, I forgot to put this in my feedback but just no more, please
Everyone else covered my notes except for one thing -- it would be sweet if the GDQ stream was broadcast on the hotel's TV system. I'd rather have seen the stream in Sky Water than whatever other sports fluff was on that week. It would be a lot more convenient upstairs as well, not dedicating someone's phone to the stream.

If SGDQ goes back to the Hilton, there should be some GDQ branding along the skyway path through the hotel as well. I gave the 15 second "what is GDQ" speech several times during the event to random passers-by going to & from work who were curious what all the ruckus was coming from the arcade room.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Have SGDQ in Minnesota again next year, 2017!!!