<- 1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
SGDQ in Minnesota? Hell yeah!

time to get practicing
New game incoming! The Talos Principle should most def be at SGDQ. We're building a community right now, and finding new strats every single day! We're coming for ya!
Well, I'm really nervous, but I am SUPREMELY wanting to be a part of this marathon. I've been practicing speedrunning the Japanese version of the NES Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Houma Ga Toki), and I really want to be the one to run this title for the first time in a marathon. I'm hoping to have a really, really good time on a video for it beforehand, and I'd love to explain a ton of the complex mechanics of this often very confusing game.

Words can't express how much I want to be a part of this. I just hope that I'm allowed to join so I can meet a lot of you guys in person!
Wobble Di Bubble Di Doo~
I've pretty much been screaming ever since this announcement was made last month.

I'm going to try my darnedest to get Starfox Adventures down to a science so I can submit myself to this upcoming event. I live in Minnesota and Minneapolis is practically my next door neighbor so even if I don't make it into the list, at least I can be there to support the cause anyway! With my friends and family as well, of course!

But let's hope I can make you all suffer through SFA with me. B)
Apes o[8(|)
Time to get WR for Ape Escape so that I can be considered for this marathon Kappa

This is really convenient for me that it is in Minnesota though because I live about a half hour from the venue this time.  Even if my run doesn't make it in I will definitely be attending this year because of the amazing convenience of location.

I'll definitely be practicing my commentary for a while in order to get hyped for the marathon thumbsup
In the same boat as you Ryusuta, but for a different japanese game! UFO Kamen Yakisoban! I have the current WR, and it is a really good run. I would love to explain it, especially things like how dying on purpose is actually faster in certain spots.  Unfortunately my video quality is crappy, but I am trying adamently to improve that somehow in time to submit a better quality run on march 15th. I hope that video quality of the submission isnt means for rejection Sad
I'm hoping I can get in on this I've been playing Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu everyday for the past year I hope I make the cut.
I am really interested in submitting for the first time also. I will write down these dates, I am glad I found this thread.

I play Wave Race 64, and have most of the world records in time trial (22/24) and all 6/6 in RTA categories. I am not sure, but I don't think Wave Race has been at a GDQ before. Even if it has, no one in the world has spent as much time with this game as I have Smiley
Bringing characters off the sreen
I have some prizes I wanted to donate.  Just curious when the prize donation page will be up or if it is already can you link it to me?  I couldn't find it.
I've been practicing my runs of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for two weeks so far, in hopes of being able to play at SGDQ 2015, which is a dream of mine. They played the original Shantae at SGDQ 2014, and Risky's Revenge at AGDQ 2015, so it seems like Pirate's Curse is due. I've got world records in any% and 100%, and I'm trying to bring the times down further. Fingers crossed!
Dude Hype
Wasn't there supposed to be
Quote:
...a thread posted on March 1 as a reminder with more details and guidelines
?  Is it posted somewhere I didn't look?
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2015-03-05 07:05:59 pm
Cool Matty: 2015-03-05 07:03:47 pm
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Romscout will be posting soon with more submission details, but in the meantime, here's some basic prep you can do.

1. Make sure you have a video recorded of the run you want to do. If you are submitting multiple categories for a game, we encourage you to make videos for each. Quality of the recordings isn't too important, as long as it's not edited and easy to see what's going on. Twitch highlights are acceptable.
2. Make sure the video shows the full run, and has a good competitive time. It doesn't have to be WR, but it helps. Tongue
3. Prepare your category estimates. Every run category you submit should have an estimate for it. This estimate SHOULD NOT include setup time. Measure the time from power on, until last input.
4. Get an idea for when you will be at the event, especially if you're not going to be there the whole time. We need this information for scheduling.

You don't need to post here telling us what you're planning on submitting or anything like that. We won't be using posts here for deciding submissions. Just get your information ready. Also, one last note: submissions are not "first come, first serve". You gain nothing by rushing your submission. Take your time, make sure it's correct and easy to read, and THEN submit it.
All the things
To clarify, does this mean that videos are now required with submissions, or just strongly encouraged?
Quote from Omnigamer:
To clarify, does this mean that videos are now required with submissions, or just strongly encouraged?

The form will not require them but uh, yes ... strongly encouraged.
Just a suggestion, you guys should put the SDGQ dates up on https://gamesdonequick.com/ - it still says TBD.
Site's going to get a slight overhaul with the game submission launch. That info will be part of it.
curious: i have a twitch highlight of the run i'd like to submit, but i also recorded locally for safety's sake. because the video is better quality and because i can add post commentary to it where i really explain the specifics, i'd prefer to submit my local recording, but it would be without splits. is this really an issue considering that this category uses in-game time anyway?
Is PJ
IGT is fine for attempts, but the marathon uses real time because, you know, it actually exists.  Either way, I don't think lack of splits is an issue if the entire run is available for viewing.
Claimh Happy
Quote from Cool Matty:
Also, one last note: submissions are not "first come, first serve". You gain nothing by rushing your submission. Take your time, make sure it's correct and easy to read, and THEN submit it.

Does this mean no more round one cuts with the reason "It won't make it through round 2 because we already have better options." ? I don't care whether the people involved want to make cuts like that or not, but it's dishonest to do that and still claim that it makes no difference to submit late.
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2015-03-14 09:09:40 pm
Quote from Marche_Fighter_Paladin:
Does this mean no more round one cuts with the reason "It won't make it through round 2 because we already have better options." ? I don't care whether the people involved want to make cuts like that or not, but it's dishonest to do that and still claim that it makes no difference to submit late.

No, that's just poor logical reasoning.

If Game X is cut because there are "better options", those better options would matter regardless if they were submitted before or after. It just changes the timestamp of when Game X is cut. Getting to "round 2" or whatever is really meaningless in the long run, it doesn't net you anything. You don't get points for being "close". Tongue
Claimh Happy
It matters when conflicts occur in later stages of the process, and the games that were rejected for that reason aren't even considered as substitutes for the game that led to them being rejected.

EDIT: I wasn't sure whether to use "aren't" or "can't be".  I can't actually prove that they aren't considered, but in many cases it's not reasonable at that point.
Claimh Happy
Messed up, please delete this
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2015-03-14 09:38:46 pm
There was a separate status for games that were considered for substitutes.
Claimh Happy
I seem to recall the final waitlist being primarily round 2 'cuts'? I'm not really sure how to check any of that so I can't speak any further about it.

Anyway, when the Round 1 cuts and Round 2 cuts have different goals (or at least different requirements), I don't think it's reasonable to say that making it past Round 1 doesn't matter. I don't know how I can argue that point further without sounding petty. Telling people that it doesn't matter how early they submit their run, but you'll make round 1 cuts based on the state of submissions when that submission is processed just seems false to me. The only way it could be true is if further submissions can only impact existing submissions negatively if at all, and I just don't think that's true.