Studio: 2015-06-18 01:54:43 am
Studio: 2015-06-18 01:54:43 am
Studio: 2015-06-03 10:46:38 am
Studio: 2015-06-03 10:44:07 am
Studio: 2015-06-03 09:04:21 am
Studio: 2015-05-18 11:10:18 pm
Schedule Here

What this thread is for:
This thread is for filling out couch commentators for for all SGDQ 2015 runs. Commentator names do appear on the schedule, so posting in this thread will help fill out the schedule.

There have been occasional issues with couch commentators and runners in the past. For this reason, runners have the ultimate control of who is on the couch and who is mic'd up. It is up to you the runner to know what's going on with your couch. It's not about planning every detail, but making sure you'll be comfortable playing with the conversations going on. This is especially important if you don't know the couch commentators well. We're an awesome community, but we're also a huge community - making sure everyone is on the same wavelength is important.

Also, if you feel uncomfortable with anything related to couch commentary, PM me and I'll help you out.

If you're not sure how to build your couch, leave it open, and when people sign up we can coordinate and make sure everyone knows what's going on :D.

As per usual this is the intro I've stolen from Mike with minor edits.

Quote:
Know a lot about some of the games being run and have a good rapport with runners? Then this is the topic for you.

What makes good couch commentary?

Here are the four basics

-Be informative about in-game mechanics.

-Don't interrupt the runner, but make sure to fill in gaps if the runner didn't explain something or elaborate.

-Build a rapport with the runner, get in skype or mumble calls with them.

-Have fun! If you're excited to give a serious breakdown of a game, there have been tons of awesome and informative runs in the past. A sillier or fun run is fine as well, just as long as everyone involved knows.

A good example of good couch commentary would be the Yoshi's Island run from AGDQ 2013.

I also wrote a bit on commentary in a blog post: http://theroadtogdq.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-dealbreaker-marathon-commentary.html

Some basic guidelines for applying:

-Both the runner and commentator need to say they're okay with each other. We don't want any awkward commentary incidents.

-If you're a quiet runner then please post in this thread and say you need a commentator. We have plenty of people who want to help out at the marathon, so I'm sure one of them would be interested in learning about a game and commentating about it.

-If you're a runner who likes commentating during your game without much interruption, or if you already have a couch commentator planned, then please say so and I'll lock out commentary for that game.

Now I'm going to reinforce how important it is to have a couch prepared. If you plan to commentate the run primarily by yourself, similarly to FieryBlizzard at AGDQ2014, then get some friends to hang on the couch and be happy. If you’re going to be focused on a run and need someone to help talk while you’re focusing on the difficult part of the game, that’s perfectly fine too, and was done by Jadin and Darkman during SGDQ 2013. Is your run is going to be jokes and goofing off? That’s great! Just have a general plan for what you want to do.

If you don’t have any idea for who you want for commentary, don’t be afraid  to reach out in this thread, and if there’s a particular run you’re interested in commentating same thing applies.

If you already have plans and would like to have your game listed as being open or closed for commentators, inform me via PM or post here.

Open Couch- Anyone can sign up and will be added
F-Zero GX (Not Fully Open, but looking for commentators, message UchihaSasuke)
Gargoyles Quest - Open to Memesters, GnG Runners, Studio.
Panic Restaurant
Spica Adventure
Super Turrican
TASBlock Mega Man, Ikaruga - Not Fully Open, message dwangoAC

Pending Couch - A Runner/Commentator has shown interest and is awaiting response
(Awaiting Runner Approval)
Banjo Tooie - sagev3
Batman: Arkham Origins - EvenSteven02
Bioshock Infinite - EvanSteven02, z1mb0bw4y
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - MechaRichter, Satoryu
Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers - CosmykTheDolfyn
Crash Bandicoot 2 - Kollin7
Crash Bandicoot: Warped - BubblesDelFuego, EvenSteven02
Dark Souls 2 - BubblesDelFuego, saintmillion
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - EvenSteven02
Donkey Kong Country - ShiningDragoon
Dungeon Magic - MURPHAGATOR!
Earthbound - virtualboyness
F.E.A.R. - BubblesDelFeugo
Gargoyle's Quest - virtualboyness, altabiscuit
Gauntlet (NES) - MechaRichter, ERROR
Legend of Zelda (NES) (Swordless) - ERROR
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - virtualboyness
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes - Habreno
Lovely Planet - z1mb0bw4y
Kirby Superstar - ShiningDragoon
Krion Conquest, The - PJ
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - kirbymastah
Mario Kart 64 - ShiningDragoon
Mega Man The Wily Wars - virtualboyness
Mega Man X2 - The Sid
Mega Man X3 - The Sid
Mega Man X8 - The Sid
Metal Storm - Puwexil, z1mb0bw4y
Metroid - Dragondarch
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - UchihaSasuke
Mighty Switch Force 2 - Duke, Satoryu, Mr_Shasta, TheSoundDefense
Minecraft - MolluskMoth
Portal - BubblesDelFuego
Quantic Conundrum - BubblesDelFuego
Resident Evil 3 - Dragondarch
Shenmue II - DrTChops
Sonic Boom: Ryse of Lyric - EvanSteven02
Space Station Silicon Valley - virtualboyness
Stretch Panic - CosmykTheDolfyn, WanderingMind
Super Castlevania IV - puwexil
Super Mario Bros. 3 - ShiningDragoon
Wheel of Time, The - DrTChops, MolluskMoth
TASBot - kirbymastah (Sonic Advance)

(Awaiting Commentator Approval)
Rygar - DarkwingDuck, Feasel
Fallout 3 - Romscout

Approved Couch - Both runner and commentator(s) have agreed to do commentary
Binding of Isaac Rebirth - sagev3, BubblesDelFuego, Twinge
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 - MURPHAGATOR!, Satoryu
Bioshock Infinite - ZachSK
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - MolluskMoth, Abahbob, RaysFire
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - virtualboyness,
Crash Bandicoot: Warped -BubblesDelFuego, ChrisLBC
Digimon World - Kheartz, ShiningDragoon
Disney Extreme Skate Adventure - moofin
Dustforce - altabiscuit, Vulajin, sideshowdave
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - TheFunCannon, Puri_Puri, DrTChops
Fallout 3: DrTChops
Freedom Planet - AlecK47, Ghoul02
Gauntlet (PC) - MechaRichter, Klaige
Ghouls 'N Ghosts - PJ, Edobean
Ghosts N Goblins - PresJPolk, PJ
Legend of Zelda (Swordless) - LackAttack24, Darkwing Duck
Kid Icarus - LackAttack24
Kirby Super Star: Countdown42 (if usedpizza showers)
Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble - kirbymastah, Mr_Shasta, Altabiscuit
Half-Minute Hero - WanderingMind, Puwexil, Vulajin
Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga - 2dos, Dragondarch, AlbinoAlbatross
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow - PJ, Murphgator, Klaige
Mega Man 4 - Duckfist, cleartonic
Mega Man X3 - Thataintfalco, SlurpeeNinja, Plum
Mega Man X4 - Osra_numbers, Kirbymastah
Metroid Prime: Hunters - Kirbymastah, DarkTerrex, Munchakoopas
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - kirbymastah
Octodad: Dadliest Catch - CyclopsDragon, Mintcup, Gutesy, Curbstompers
Oregon Trail - Authorblues, LackAttack24
Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell - Cirno, MolluskMoth, Mr_Shasta, BubblesDelFuego
Shantae and the Pirates Curse - Nosraef, Tonyogbot
Shovel Knight - The RSS Feed, Kaahlan, Vulajin, Twinge
Space Station Silicon Valley - mashystrr
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - kirbymastah
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Aweglib, Skybilz
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe - Cyclopsdragon, Vespher, and Misskaddykins
Super Turrican - Dragondarch
TASBlock - Ikaruga - ShinerCCC
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - chrno
Wings of Vi - faux_show, Cirno_TV
Wizards & Warriors - PJ, Puwexil

Closed Couches - The Couch is locked.
Bastion - BubblesDelFuego, DrTChops, SnowySnowWolf
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - PJ, MechaRichter, MURPHAGATOR!, Satoryu
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - FuriousPaul, Kissmyafrocard
Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest - Panda, vulz, Trihex, tony_ogbot, People Wearing Sunglasses
Donkey Kong 64 - Bunch of Memesters, altabiscuit, Ciyon.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Snowysnowwolf, Cirno_tv, Puri_puri, DrTChops
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Poliscigirl, Overfiendvip, RaikouRider
Ecco: The Tides of Time - CosmykTheDolfyn
Halo 3 - z1mb0bw4y and Blackfiresin
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - TrowwWW, Wixyurns, abahbob
Kirby's Avalanche Bid War -  CardsOfTheHeart, Philsoraptor42, Seckswrecks
Ori and the Blind Forest - Andy, TheOurobori
Pokemon Puzzle League - altabiscuit, bbforky
Roundabout - Jeffrey the Skeleton
StarTropics - DarkTerrex, Philosoraptor42, Darkwing_Duck
Thread title:  
Question?  I have no plans for couch commentary, but what about the seats behind the couch?  Do you have to have permission from the runner or higher ups to sit in those seats?
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
Rotorstorm331, unless the runner says otherwise when you get back there, if the seats behind the couch are empty, you can sit in an empty seat (from my understanding).

For Kirby's Avalanche/Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine bid war, my couch will be CardsOfTheHeart, Philsoraptor42 and Seckswrecks (unless one of them posts otherwise in this thread and I highly doubt it).  I'll call couch locked for now.

I've already spoken with Dolfihn and will be couching Ecco: The Tides Of Time unless something changes.

I would also like to express interest in couching Metroid Prime Hunters, Strech Panic and Chip And Dale:Rescue Rangers.  I have always enjoyed Mr. Shasta streaming Hunters and can provide some commentary based on that and learn more about the game as time moves forward.
I also really enjoyed watching Ion's youtube video of Stretch Panic and understand the basic game mechanics and watched some of Caveman's run to see the differences of playing on the Japanese Hippa Linda vs. the English Stretch Panic such as enemy placement, quicker bosses and less grinding for points before bosses, etc.
I have watched philsoraptor run Chip and Dale All zones quite a few times at this point and understand how the catagory works, how damage boost work, important tricks like Jorf boost on the falling steel ball, the boss patterns, etc
Edit: I'd like to add that if runners of the games I mentioned offer to couch, I'll retract my offers.
Yo, I've talked to these guys about it, can i request Cirno and MolluskMoth, and then potentially a skype call with redemption99.
I'd need to talk to them about it but, Rygar doesn't have the most amount of runners for the game. So maybe DarkwingDuck and Feasel for the couch? They are the two who put the most effort into the game itself.
Edit history:
Supreme: 2015-05-20 08:49:43 am
Supreme: 2015-05-19 07:11:22 am
Dixie Kong Fan Club
Donkey Kong Country 3: My wife (Poliscigirl) will be on the couch as well as Overfiendvip and RaikouRider. Potential for 4th spot since I'm near-sighted/will need to sit closer, but for now it's a closed couch.

I don't know who all from the DKC community will be there, but I can also couch for the DKC1 race if they're interested.  I'm not as knowledgeable as I am with DKC3, but I do run the game and understand a majority of the tech (and could easily fill in the gaps by end of July Smiley )
HELLO!
If Error needs it I'll do Ghosts n Goblins.
Edit history:
molluskmoth: 2015-06-05 04:46:03 am
molluskmoth: 2015-05-23 09:21:14 am
MoMo
Quote from BystanderTim:
Yo, I've talked to these guys about it, can i request Cirno and MolluskMoth, and then potentially a skype call with redemption99.

I'm up for it
I can commentate for Banjo Tooie and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth if they're needed.
I am just going to copy and paste other posts i've made regarding this.

Quote:
Hello All,

First Id like to introduce myself. I am "heart of a lion" although if people would like to call me by my handle "Lion" will suffice. I'm a 26 year old dude that lives in the chicagoland area. I've been enjoying your events for about a year and a half and finally decided to attend (and I plan on volunteering to be a tech). I know I am new around these parts, but I was looking at last years schedule and noticed that some of the less popular/less known games didnt have people scheduled for couch commentary. I would like to offer to be a couch commentator for any runner that would like one. If any runner is interested in this reach out to me and I would be happy to watch your runs and learn the ins and outs so I can speak to your various strats and methods during your run. I do have a full time job, but I am more than happy in my free time to learn some runs and provide commentary live so the runner can focus.

So if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM and we can get the ball rolling. I am super excited to be part of such an awesome event!

-Lion
That's "Mr." Speedrunner, to you
I would gladly help with commentary on any of these following games:

Crash Bandicoot: Warped race (I know the game pretty well, I'm friends with Roach, and the runners will most likely be busy racing)
Mega Man X4 (I've watched many runs, I know Mopey Joe)
Bastion (I run the game and have been running it for quite a while now, I have a good NG any% time)
F.E.A.R. + Quantum Conundrum (Bl00d_Thunder and myself make a great team, and there won't be too many other runners of either of these games there)
Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell (I request to drape myself across the godlike bodies of MolluskMoth and Cirno, I'm totally certain everyone is ok with this, especially Tim (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 ) [kidding]
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (I have a decent 7 character time and I compete in Balls of Steel races, so I'll know what I'm talking about)
Shadow of the Colossus (I run the game offline, doing IL's and such, so Meow might want another voice by his side for that hour of gameplay)
Portal (I can play it and I know it, but not as well as the runners, so they can probably cover everything)
Dark Souls 2 (I know the game, I did some routing during the release of it, and I'm friends with both runners, and they might be busy not dying. The chemistry of Oginam and I worked great at AGDQ)

EDIT: I forgot to add who I'd like on my couch, so here they are

Fallout 3: DrTChops, Romscout (he ran it long ago, I'd like to catch him up), friends in the chairs
Oblivion: TheFunCannon, Puri_Puri, DrTChops, friends in the chairs
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
since i'm really bad at playing and commentating at the same time, having a couch commentator that is very well versed in F-Zero GX could be a big help.
so far there's almost none of the usual F-Zero guys attending this year so i'm pretty much on my own at the moment. things could change later if some of them end up coming but it's better to be prepared since bad commentary has killed good runs in past marathons.
Yeah, let's throw bubbles and also I asked MrShasta, so let's keep it at that. Calling Couch closed on that
For my Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest run, I will have FuriousPaul and Kissmyafrocard on couch.
Down for being on your couch Tim. Glad you want to have me! I will warn I haven't beaten Saints Row 4, but I've beaten 3 a few times, so hopefully I can still provide some sort of decent commentary with that knowledge haha.

Also Cosmyk, you can be on my couch. I actually need a few more people for it myself. I've asked Amhite, who was the main guy who ran Metroid Prime Hunters for a while before I came along, but he hasn't been around in a little bit. He expressed major interest when I submitted the run to AGDQ and got rejected, so I'm hoping he'll be down for this whenever he does come back. I still need 2 more people though other than that, preferably at least 1 person who's run a Prime game. Keep in mind my run is before Miles' Prime 2 run, so hopefully someone who's on that couch would like to just stay on there for both runs or something. I'll be the 1st to admit I don't know much about the other Prime games, with having only played a little of Prime 1, so it'd be nice to have that other perspective there for when I ask for differences between Hunters and the rest of the Prime series.

Also I'd be down to couch for anyone in the Kirby block that needs it. I have lots of knowledge about all the runs, but most for Super Star and Canvas Curse. And if anyone else needs a spot filled, I know a lot about random speedruns and am willing to learn more about your run.
Edit history:
Countdown42: 2015-05-19 01:41:11 pm
I guess I'll couch for that dweeb used pizzas kirby game if I have to

Make sure he showers first
For Shovel Knight I will have The RSS Feed, Kaahlan, and Vulajin if he isn't too busy. Any other Shovel Knight runners are welcome, I am just not sure if any others are going.
Why walk when you can go fast?
I can couch for Oblivion if there's room and I've already talked to Altabiscuit about being on couch for Superstar Saga.
That's "Mr." Speedrunner, to you
Quote from AlbinoAlbatross:
I can couch for Oblivion if there's room and I've already talked to Altabiscuit about being on couch for Superstar Saga.

yeah you're on the couch for oblivion, I just didn't know if you're going
Stay chill, be cool.
I'm more than happy to offer commentary for Half Minute Hero.
Edit history:
Studio: 2015-05-19 04:06:56 pm
Quote from BystanderTim:

Edit: Woops, this posted by itself.

I don't believe we're doing Skype calls outside of developer commentary, but I'll check into this
I've already talked to Dragondarch and he says I can be on the couch for Aria of Sorrow, so that's good.

I'm also gonna ask some other runners about being on their couch, I'll edit this post when I get a response.
Something witty
For MMX4, I would like Orsa_numbers and Kirbymastah on the couch. BubblesDelFeugo is another person I'm considering for the couch.
Snow Problem
I am couching for chrno's DESA and he is couching for me. Anyone who has run Tony Hawk in any meaningful way is on my couch, as well as anyone from the #vg on srl irc. I want the couch to be packed!
Cirno said he'd couch for wings of vi!

Also stick on a dude faux_show for vi couch and if anyone else actually knows the game and will be at event feel free to ask me personally otherwise probably couch closed for now