Sad
1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
that Metroidvania guy
I've had a much longer process of finding the right hotel and negotiating prices than I expected, but we finally have a good fit for SGDQ that I am 99.9999% sure we're sticking with. The Crowne Plaza DIA has produced some great offers, and based on UA's tour of the place and internet check, it should work out perfectly for us.

General Info

- This is a Crowne that is not very far from the Denver airport (although it is further than the AGDQ Crowne was from Dulles) and has a free 24/7 shuttle. Yes, this means you can arrive at ass o' clock and still make it to the hotel ok. A few people last year had an issue with this, and it won't be as big of a deal now.

- Speaking of free shuttle, you can also take one from the hotel to anywhere in a 5 mile radius. The location is already good for restaurants, but this opens up even more possibilities.

- There is a restaurant on-site that is open from 6 am to 10 pm, as well as a lounge/bar that is open from 4 pm to 12 am.

- Here are a couple pictures of the lobby/dining area, courtesy of UraniumAnchor: http://imgur.com/a/uqOVd

Rooms

Quad rooms are $109 + tax. Considering it's the summer, this is a great deal. For comparison, the Sheraton's rooms last SGDQ were $119 + tax. The rooms appear to be very much the same as the AGDQ Crowne, coming with all the same standard features, along with a microwave.

Video courtesy of UraniumAnchor:

Conference Rooms

The conference room situation was a little surprising (in a good way). The conference room space we have is over twice the size of AGDQ's (2 big rooms with 17,500 sq. ft.) and can suit basically any size crowd that attends. You might be thinking "Wow, that must be expensive! Our registration fee is going to be ridiculous!". Aside from the fact that the price actually turned out to be cheaper anyway, you don't have to worry about this adding to the registration fee at all because Doctors Without Borders is so based. I anticipate the setup to be similar to AGDQ, with 4 major sections: main marathon room, practice room, casual gaming room, and lounge with the stream going.

Here is a video courtesy of UA again. Keep in mind this is about half of one room, and we have two of these rooms:

Restaurants

Besides the restaurant in the hotel, there are about 20 within walking distance and an additional 15 that can be accessed with the free shuttle. We unfortunately won't have the same pho restaurant as last SGDQ, but the overall selection is a lot better than before. Here is a full list of nearby restaurants:

Casual & Fine Dining within walking distance
- Wine & Roses Jazz Club – 3995 Lewiston Street
- Outback Steakhouse – 16301 E 40th Ave
- Ted’s Montana Grill – 16495 E 40th Circle
- Uno’s Chicago Grill – 16375 E 40th Ave
- Urban Sombrero Mexican Grille – 16221 E 40th Ave
- Applebees – 16485 E 40th Circle
- Chu’s Asian Café – 15470 Andrews Dr.
- Thai Chili Sushi Bar – 16221 E 40th Ave

Fast Food within walking distance
- Wendy’s – 4020 N Chambers Road
- KFC / A&W – 15495 Andrews Drive
- Taco Bell / Long John Silver’s – 4105 Chambers Road
- Sonic – 4400 Chambers Road
- Subway – 15470 Andrews Drive
- Qdoba – 15470 Andrews Drive
- Pizza Hut – 15470 Andrews Drive
- Einstein’s Bagels – 16495 # 40th Circle
- Jimmy John’s Sandwiches – 3995 Lewiston Street
- Anthony’s Pizza & Pasta – 16221 E 40th Ave

Restaurants within a 5 mile radius via complimentary shuttle
- Emil-ene’s Steakhouse (owner has own shuttle & will pick up at hotel as well) – 16000 Smith Road
- Improv Comedy Club & Dinner Theatre – 8246 E 49th Ave. #1400
- Texas de Brazil – 8390 Northfield Blvd. #1800
- Twisted Martini
- Toby Keith’s “I Love This Bar” and Grill – 8260 Northfield Blvd. #1370
- La Sandia Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar – 8340 Northfield Blvd. #1690
- Islamorado Fish Co. – 7970 E 49th Ave
- Ling & Louie’s Asian Bar & Grille – 8354 Northfield Blvd. #1710
- Olive Garden – 8314 Northfield Blvd.
- Red Lobster – 8268 Northfield Blvd.
- TGI Friday’s – 8104 E 49th Ave.
- Jim ‘n Nicks BBQ – 8264 E 49th Ave.
- Chili’s – 3451 Tower Road
- Bar Louie – 8332 Northfield Blvd. #1595
- McAllister’s Deli – 3471 Salida Street

I am still negotiating the food situation and some service (mostly internet and some electronics stuff) charges, so while I can't give a 100% accurate idea of the registration fee yet, I can tell you that it will be a lot lower than AGDQ's just because of the conference rooms being covered. Overall, I think this hotel is a pretty good fit for us. Of course, if you have any particular questions/concerns, I can address them or bring them up to the sales manager as I talk to her more this week and in the future.

Even though you could technically start booking rooms now, I would highly recommend you wait until our group rate is finalized and we have a code for you to use. I will post info about booking rooms when that is available.
Thread title:  
This looks incredible! Can't wait.
Twitch Guy
I'm liking this restaurant list.
Voice
Wow.
Yum
If I'm not staying at the hotel (because I live near Denver) I can still buy a ticket right?
Stay frosty my friends!
Nice work, rom! Love what I'm seeing!
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from TuxedoMob:
If I'm not staying at the hotel (because I live near Denver) I can still buy a ticket right?

yes
Yum
Quote from romscout:
Quote from TuxedoMob:

yes

right on, see you guys there (even though I got cut)
Does anyone from that area know of a good place to buy various allergen free stuff?  I'm sure there's something out there, but it's always good to go in knowing with certainty I'll be able to find something.
Edit history:
romscout: 2014-03-03 10:57:25 pm
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from mrcab:
Does anyone from that area know of a good place to buy various allergen free stuff?  I'm sure there's something out there, but it's always good to go in knowing with certainty I'll be able to find something.

I responded to your tweet about this, but yea, I'll check up about that this week. It's definitely a valid concern.
<(^_^)>
Holy crap... that conference room seems almost too big o.o LOL

Thanks a lot romscout and UA for all the work you've put in for hunting this hotel down! I'm really hyped Cheesy
Cube Throw = OoB
wendy's

almost died when i saw that

hotel looks sick though, nice job romscout and co
Holy shit it looks amazing. Does this mean we can start booking rooms now?
Just a guy
This is somehow so surprising, and I'm really excited now. When this all goes through and we're set on a hotel/somewhat solid schedule for SGDQ, expect the roommate thread :^)
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Yashichi: 2014-03-03 11:03:40 pm
this thread has gotten me fully erect
that Metroidvania guy
heehee: last sentence in the post, buddy
oops im an idiot and didn't see the last sentence haha
<(^_^)>
Jimmy Johns :O

Also, I don't see a ihop there. Automatically worse than SGDQ2013.
@tiburonCS
This looks really friggin awesome. Based rom
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
This is terrible.... terribly awesome that is.
Edit history:
thadarkman78: 2014-03-03 11:11:27 pm
I don't think you fully considered our needs Romscout, there's no bowling alley within walking distance..................

Other than that nice looking place Smiley
Not a walrus
Quote from kirbymastah:
Jimmy Johns :O

Also, I don't see a ihop there. Automatically worse than SGDQ2013.

There's one about 3 miles away, never fear.
Edit history:
xfullmetal17: 2014-03-03 11:52:06 pm
xfullmetal17: 2014-03-03 11:50:40 pm
xfullmetal17: 2014-03-03 11:49:50 pm
wibbly wobbly timey wimey
And to think, the family plan this year is to go to LibertyCon (which happens to be the same weekend).  Then I walk into this thread.

I might be able to attend some of Day One, but that'd be it.  But that looks mighty nice, and this feels like it'll be an AMAZING SGDQ!

One question though: Do we have guaranteed bandwidth like at the Sheraton last year for the marathon?

edit: Ling & Louie's gets my personal recommendation, that place has some amazing food.
Not a walrus
Quote from xfullmetal17:
One question though: Do we have guaranteed bandwidth like at the Sheraton last year for the marathon?

Yes. The hotel as a whole has 150mbps and they said 10mbps guaranteed was not a problem. That said I haven't tested a wired connection yet, but I plan on going back just to be sure.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from romscout:
- This is a Crowne that is not very far from the Denver airport (although it is further than the AGDQ Crowne was from Dulles) and has a free 24/7 shuttle. Yes, this means you can arrive at ass o' clock and still make it to the hotel ok. A few people last year had an issue with this, and it won't be as big of a deal now.

This. I like.

And that restaurant list. Holy smokes.