<- 1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Moo! Flap! Hug!
UA: yes, I completely understand what you're saying. I was just responding to Mike's comment that SGDQ game selection hasn't been as exclusive as AGDQ's. I think if you want to expand SGDQ to be another AGDQ, then SDA really needs to have a serious discussion about how/if people who play less-popular games can contribute to marathons. Will there be an effort to include those games? Will those people who run games that weren't popular enough for AGDQ (but could play at SGDQ) just be told to blow off, in the future? I just wanted to bring up the point that SDA is a large and diverse community, and (in my opinion) we're at a precipice where we could risk forgetting that.
Not a walrus
Considering some of the weird shit that made it into this last AGDQ, I don't think we need to be too concerned about that yet, but I get what you mean.

Let's at least wait until the game thread starts up before we start worrying too much about what games make it in.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Yeah, agreed. I wasn't trying to complain about a games thread that hasn't even been made yet Smiley I just meant that this is something we're going to have to be cognizant of when we start the discussion, if we want to expand SGDQ. Because phrases along the lines of, "That game isn't popular enough" and, "That game is fine for SGDQ but not for AGDQ" have oft been uttered in the past. Just remember that -- that's all I was trying to convey.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-02-17 03:02:41 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-02-17 02:58:12 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-02-17 02:57:43 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
If my only criteria for adding games at AGDQ was how popular they were, then Umihara Kawase, MegaMari, and Gimmick! would have never made it. Also, if the game list for SGDQ was mostly the same as AGDQ, then I think I would (deservedly) get a LOT of complaints.

I understand what you mean Poxnor, but at the same time, let's wait until people sign up and I make the games topic.

EDIT: Oh yeah, dates. I would personally prefer the earlier range just because ending on a Sunday seems like  a better idea, but I don't have a strong opinion. If ESA is really going to be just a week before us, we might even want to consider moving the marathon a week later instead.

Double EDIT: In response to UA's post at the end of the first page. There's a third alternative, which is attendance caps, and I don't think that's something we should even remotely consider at this point.
Insane Killer Robot
I'll chip in that as far as dates go, I'm ok with any date range.
that Metroidvania guy
Either of those date choices work for me as of right now.
I'm the keeper of Time.
I'd be alright with either of those dates. I really want to participate this year instead of watching.
Haters gonna hate
I would love to go to this, but I'll have no idea if I can go until about April or May.
ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ
would megaman 6 have a high chance to get in because I'd be heart broken if I can't play in SGDQ 2014 for my high school graduation gift.
Claimh Happy
Wait for the games topic. Especially since you seem to be asking a year in advance?
That hotel is like 20 minutes away from where I live, I would love to attend live to this one, if the general public is still allowed to come.
Not a walrus
Next person who asks about games is getting their post nuked. Patience please.

Anybody who drops the necessary funds can come, not sure what we'll do about the event itself since the sleeping arrangements will be paid for separately. We'll have a separate thread for people who want to share rooms, but if you have any general questions feel free to ask. I'll try to get some videos of the conference and sleeping rooms when I go there tomorrow.
ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ
I'm sorry for posting about games I guess I got over zealous.
The Speedrunning Teacher
As for the dates, I'm good for either of the dates listed. If we do want to move it a week later, I'd only be able to stay until about the 5th, as I have teacher training on the 7th and 8th.
Either range seems fine for me. I might be looking into an internship this summer which would put any attendance in question but even with that maybe I can beg for a couple days and get like a Wed-Sun visit.
Feudal Family Lord
I have to look into plane if i want to come (i've never taken a  plane by myself...ever). If the cost is manageable, and there is room. I'd love to come. My plans during the summer are up in the air, depending on gaining an internship/etc. Estimated chance of coming: 60%
Well if I wasn't already looking forward to SGDQ, holding it only an hour away from my house has certainly sealed the deal! The venue looks sweet, and I greatly appreciate the later dates for this year.
Pudding%
I definitely want to come, but can't give a strong "I'll be there" until I have a better handle on my job situation. Realistically I'll make either date range work if I can make it.
HELLO!
I'd love to come but it really depends on how much it'll cost vs much work I get in the next couple of months. Smiley
aka forte27
I'd love to come, and the dates are ok for me as it stands right now.  I had kinda wanted to come to AGDQ, but by the time I decided, it was too late.  I'd also love to run a game, but that's for another topic.  Wink

I'm only concerned that I might not want to travel so far so soon after EVO, which I'm also planning to attend (two weeks beforehand).  I may have to pick one or the other, but I really want to come to SGDQ and actually meet some of you guys.
No guarantees that I can make it:

1)  I will be on vacation very shortly before the marathon and getting back to salt lake on the 22nd, so my vote would be for later rather than earlier.

2)  Will have to see if i can afford it.  If there is a carpool from salt lake that would make me more likely to come also.

3)  Games to run.  I can always offer SM64, but it would be tough to follow Sig's act.  My other games are Mario Golf (has been vetoed 2 years running) and Age of Empires 2 (lol... but i did hear someone at the last marathon say they'd watch it).  The point here is I may not have a good game to run anyways, in which case I wouldn't come.
Not a walrus
Ok, so, one of the hotel guys I was gonna go talk to tonight is not working today, so I'm probably going by tomorrow instead. I'm going to see if I can get a quick video of a sleeping room so people have a good idea of how it's laid out, but there might not be any open ones to look at by the time I get down there, apparently they're pretty booked up lately. I'll definitely get a video of at least one of the conference rooms, though.
Thinker & Dreamer
Yeah, Funkdoc and I will be able to make it out to SGDQ due to the perfect timing of the late July date (since EVO's the week before and we can just drive over to Denver from Vegas).
Gimme some sugar Shaggy!
If its much more expensive than SGDQ last year I might not be able to make it. That was the main reason why I could make SGDQ over AGDQ Sad
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from deathfire123:
If its much more expensive than SGDQ last year I might not be able to make it. That was the main reason why I could make SGDQ over AGDQ Sad

Given you're paying for a hotel room, it's gonna be, unfortunately. Plus you have to go out and get food, since we won't have Denton's awesome cooking this year. The hotel room itself, if divided by 4 people (and you're staying for most/all the marathon), would be at least $150-200. So unless you eat super cheap, you're likely not going to get by on what was paid last year.

It sucks, I know.