--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Serious Sam: The First Encounter (Any %) (Single Segment) [Co-Op]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Anders 'DenLillePige' Hansen & 'Momfy'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Serious Sam: The First Encounter (Any %) (Single Segment) [Co-Op]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/SeriousSamTFECoop

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Oct. 9, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Dragon Power Supreme
I recorded this run from the .dem files provided and encoded using yua7. Quality-wise it should be just fine.
There is nothing I can do about the "waiting for server to continue" message in the middle of the screen, so ignore that.
Edit history:
DenLillePige: 2014-09-25 12:42:51 pm
waiting for server to continue message seems to be a problem that occours with every demo on multiplayer. atleast from our end
How to run Space Marine: Run fast
I’ve played Serious Sam casually half a dozen times. So I know what is and isn’t possible from that point of view, but I don’t have extensive knowledge of the speedrunning of the game.

A/V Quality: Recording good quality. Unsure whether there is a slight jutter at 14:22 on Momfy’s PoV.

Cheating: None

Thoughts:

Sand Canyon: Very nice. Unfortunate about those headless rocketeers getting in Momfy’s way at the end of the level.

Tomb of Rameses III   Freak getting knocked off the top of the arena wall the first time by a stray Kleer was really unlucky, otherwise very nice.

Valley of the Kings: Love the use of Sirian Werebulls to catapult yourself towards the boss trigger. Nice quick kill of the boss. Wondering how you managed to jump to the platform at 5:17. That seems way too high for a normal jump. Don’t think failing the jump at 6:24 costs time.

Dunes: The trick to get into the compound seems very tricky so the time it takes to complete is entirely reasonable. I’d like someone to explain how you complete this level, as the door doesn’t seem to open… Does the rocket push you into the loading trigger for the next level?

Sewers: Electro fish causing some problems here for Freak. Doesn’t seem to make a difference to the time as Momfy gets through quickly.

Luxor: A slight hiccup from Freak getting to his relic. Costs about 5-10 seconds?

Decision: Accept.

Small errors but an enjoyable run to watch and highly skilled use of cannons to jump over obstacles.
to answer your question UtterNutter
in valley of the kings the reason i am able to get ontop og the platform is cause of slopejumping, also the reason why you see both of us jump so much, it increase the speed of the jump

in dunes the reason we can end the level without the door opening is the level trigger is in just big enough that the rocket or a kleer will be able to clip us a little through the door and make us hit the level trigger
Edit history:
moooh: 2014-10-02 12:03:57 pm
Exoray
Hatshepsut: Ties the Tourist IL time. Since co-op has advantage with one player going for the trigger at the shotgun, this level was probably with a 1 second loss.

Sand canyon: Swift stacking and room clearing.

Tomb of Ramses: That flying gnaar sure annoyed the heck out of you. You should have just killed it rather than leave it around since Freak's role is over after that stack and doesn't have to use it. Doing it like this cost you around 5 seconds extra now.

Valley of the Kings: Phew, that gold ankh jump always looks so close. Freak misses a lot of opportunities for good kleer boosting. Jump at the right time when getting hit by them and you would have been launched way further each hit. Could have saved a couple of seconds with it, seeing as it would have shortened the time Momfy would have to wait at the darkness door. Like someone brought up during verification of the previous submission; just dropping down into the water straight away is faster than trying to walk over the bridge and have it break.

Oasis: Some nice coordinated fights going on here.

Dunes: Takes awhile getting the bull boosts right. They can be so uncooperatively at times. It is unfortunate that both of you have problems getting over at the same time.

Suburbs: Quick and nice. Not much to say here.

Sewers: Making full use of being 2 players this time. Good! Smiley

Metropolis: Momfy wastes a bit of time during the desert walk by turning around a couple of times instead of just walking in a straight line. I'm guessing they didn't have a direct communication and he wanted to make sure that Freak made it over the wall? A good tip for future coop: Have the player further back just shoot a rocket straight forward to signal to the front player that he's right behind. Coordination for the arena fight seemed a lot better this time around.

Alley of the Sphinxes: Can get over the first wall using bull boosts instead of a cannon, but I reckon it's not reliable enough in an SS run. Lost a couple of seconds with Freak getting killed, since the walk to the placement spot was longer. Sucks when there's that last stray mob hiding somewhere. This happened countless of times for me when recording the IL run which obviously led to a reset. The runners don't have that kind of luxury in an SS though. Around 10 seconds lost because of it.

Karnak: Not much to say here. Harpy killing could have been a bit faster by switching targets when they dropped down half-dead behind the walls.

Luxor: Yeah that stacking trouble was a bit ugly. Enemies don't quite always cooperate so not much to do.

The Great Pyramid: Nice job getting the cannon jump first try this time (at least one of you)! To save some more time and not have to wait for the HP to tick up above the safe leve, I can recommend learning cannon strafing. With a proper cannon strafe, you can perform a successful boost with as little as 80 HP on your meter. It's pretty finicky though, so I guess for a SS that might be a too difficult trick to include so late in a run. End fight seems to have been around 20 seconds slower than the SS solo run this time around.

All in all this run has its flaws, but you can tell that the runners are competent and have made a good effort at getting this run. Compared to last time, they seem pretty well coordinated and have managed to save roughly 4 more minutes over the previous submission.

This run is definitely good enough to accept
Decision posted.