--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2013-04-07 01:38:43 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Saturn Bomberman (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run has good planning and execution throughout.

Congratulations to Tony 'ZenicReverie' Foster!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

Saturn Bomberman (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/saturnbomberman-v.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 4, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Is it wrong to say my only experience with the "Old School" bomberman was only the SNES version of the first?  I admit I never really got into bomberman, but the object of the game was simple enough.  That said, this is a rather interesting approach to make it where you have to reach the exit by taking out the beacons rather than to eliminate everyone before you move on.

Runner makes good use of farming for better stats before proceeding through the game.  While there are a few minor slip ups, the run is still done fairly well all things considered.  Also, kudos for well placed bomb throws used throughout the run.  The 3rd boss though was a bit hard to watch since it looked like the runner should have got his shots in, but barely misses.  Other than that, the run was very well completed, and the 2nd half was very entertaining to watch considering how the runner runs through walls and use the multibombs to clear out many rows at a time.

While it might be improved on in the future, luck would really have to be on that runner's side if they wish to improve on this run. Accept.
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
This game has an in game timer in levels that always starts with 6:00

1-1:  5:24 (0:36)  format i will show where first time is what in game time reads and 2nd is [6:00 - in game timer reading] to get accurate time for all levels and total time
1-2:  5:12 (0:48)
1-3:  5:14 (0:46)
1-4:  5:16 (0:44)
1-5:  5:18 (0:42)
1-6:  5:26 (0:34)
1-B:  5:37 (0:23)

World 1 Total Time = 4:33

2-1:  5:42 (0:18)
2-2:  5:12 (0:48)
        Missed orb.  Pretty sloppy to see but it's not as bad as it sounds since there was a power up author had to get.
2-3:  5:27 (0:33)
2-4:  5:48 (0:12)
2-5:  5:17 (0:43)
2-6:  4:53 (1:07)
2-7:  5:16 (0:44)
2-8:  5:22 (0:38)
2-B:  5:41 (0:19)
        Holy shit that was fast fight

World 2 Total Time = 5:22

3-1:  5:37 (0:23)
3-2:  5:34 (0:26)
3-3:  5:04 (0:56)
        A bit sloppy but not much can be done
3-4:  5:44 (0:16)
3-5:  5:39 (0:21)
3-6:  5:29 (0:31)
3-7:  5:41 (0:19)
        LOL Author just tanks everything and destroys this level
3-8:  5:31 (0:29)
3-B:  4:18 (1:42)
        Very bad RNG and bad hit detection >_>

World 3 Total Time = 5:23

4-1:  5:48 (0:12)
4-2:  5:37 (0:23)
4-3:  5:46 (0:14)
4-4:  5:31 (0:29)
4-B1: 5:26 (0:34)
4-5:  5:42 (0:18)
4-6:  5:46 (0:14)
4-7:  5:42 (0:18)
4-8:  5:35 (0:25)
4-B2: 5:10 (0:50)

World 4 Total Time = 3:57

5-1:  5:28 (0:32)
5-2:  5:45 (0:15)
5-3:  5:34 (0:26)
5-4:  5:26 (0:34)
S-1:  5:46 (0:14)
S-2:  5:39 (0:21)
S-3:  5:32 (0:28)
S-4:  5:15 (0:45)
S-B1: 5:06 (0:54)
S-B2: 5:18 (0:42)

World 5/S Total Time = 5:11

Total Run Time =24:26

A/V was great throughout.  Very impressive run despite the bad luck.  Run really picks up starting in world 3 and early level stat boosts made last worlds really fast.  Walk through walls power up is pricelss and essential. 

I would ACCEPT this run
Willing to teach you the impossible
WOW. That ability to lay out all bombs at once is WAY overpowered. The start was a bit awkward from power up hunting, but once the runner got a few, it was much for fluent of a run. Easy accept.
This is definitely not the kind of game I envy speedrunning. I'm pretty familiar with the Bomberman series, but I haven't played this one. The audio and the video seemed good to me.

The fact that there's such a high degree of randomness and over such a long period of play makes the mistakes completely understandable. The runner plays this as fast as they reasonably can and much riskier than most people would, and that high risk throughout the entire run makes it simultaneously refreshing and nervewracking.

My favorite part was how gradually the strategy evolved over the course of the run as new items presented themselves: it started with the simple upgrade of the glove to make for some nice lobs, followed by the line bomb clearing away more soft blocks, followed by remote bombs giving more control and speeding up the entire process, and then finally getting the block power to just bypass everything. It was surprisingly satisfying to see it progress like that.

Also, that was an amazing recovery on 3-6 with the throw to destroy the orb. If I hadn't read the notes, I would've thought it was intentional!

Otherwise, the runner's notes are very transparent about the amount of time lost on individual levels, so it seems that they're well aware of issues and possible improvements. For the most part, errors are apparent to the average viewer, but as a whole, they don't overwhelm the gameplay or make it seem unskilled in the least.

As a little complaint, I wondered if grabbing the dinos was all that valuable in the grand scheme of the run, although they do provide that extra hit and move faster. It seemed to me like they were generally distracting, and you would lose tiny bits of time jumping on and off of them and watching them evolve. This is basically a subjective issue since it depends entirely on how you play it and also how the luck treats you. I suppose realistically, they serve better as that safety net for devastating mistakes, and this would probably only cut some small number of seconds.

A quick and fairly reckless run that utilizes some nice strategies, occasionally suffering a bit in the random nature of the game. Since it's single-segment for a fairly lengthy game, the mistakes look pretty minor.

Decision: Accept
Weegee Time
The video and audio quality are very good.  There is no extra footage at either.  This cut of the video is a good template for the final encode.  I didn't notice any cheating.

1-1: Good 3-bomb L to maximize item harvesting.
1-2: Maybe faster to stay on the left side halfway through to minimize travel time?  Time is lost waiting for a failed item drop early in the run.
1-3: Going right when setting the vertical 3 line might have saved a little time, but the RNG might have trapped Bomberman.
1-4: Doubles back very quickly for a bomb pickup.  Nice reflexes.
1-5: Good use of the power glove to speed up clearing, especially in inaccessible locations.  Still early in the run and the runner gets trapped by a bomb.
1-6: Cuts it REALLY close evading an enemy for the last tower.  Way to commit!  Uses dino dash to save a little walking time to the exit.
1-B: Well that boss was easy to manipulate.  Losing the dino from hurrying might look a little messy, but as the run notes say it would have been ditched soon after.

2-1: I might have prelaid a bomb to take care of the enemy closest to the exit instead of waiting for it to path.  If it saves anything, it'd be fractions of a second.  It could have pathed right too, in which case it wouldn't matter.  This might be my most pedantic comment.
2-2: Forgetting the tower and the bomb walker is cringeworthy, but the runner does well cleaning up the mistake.
2-3: Heh, the runner can't throw a bomb up top at 5:40 because he'd kill the heart.  That was probably annoying.  The heart spawning during normal stage progression definitely saves a little time though.
2-4: Seems like the runner hesitates to go for the bomb toss across the map, but the level is done very well otherwise.
2-5: Runner sacrifices the P-Bomb because it makes the flames last longer.  Nice try avoiding the beetle trap.  It manages to take two of the beetles down in the process, though, and they disrupt bomb places a lot.  A fair trade.  The runner then plays it risky running down dead-ends twice with the last beetle nearby, saving a bit of time.
2-6: This stage was a bit messy.  It's an enclosed area and the bombs have long flames now, so you can see the runner putting some more care into bomb placement.  The runner earns Line Bomb here, which can cut down on travel time quite a bit.  Also, the jumping dino is worth picking up here.
2-7: A bit messy again.  The runner has really bad luck trying to kill the geisha on the left and loses the dino in the process.  Picking up the last bomb instead of laying it in passing might have wasted a second or two, but it might have sacrificed a heart as well.
2-8: The runner picks up Remotes here, which as any Bomberman player knows is extremely useful.  It's also a killer combination with Line Bomb.  Again, some good reflexes as the runner squeezes past the appearing exit for another bomb pickup.
2-B: This is why Remote + Line Bomb is totally broken.

3-1: Yay, another dino.  Looks like it's possible to drop a Line Bomb into an enemy square with good timing, cool.
3-2: The runner loses the dino to a revolver enemy, and I think the enemy was invincible at the time.  Ah well, it was cute while it lasted.
3-3: Wow, curse punishes the heck out of you in this game.  Lots of time leaked out here.
3-4: And then the runner gets back in the game and dominates this level.
3-5: A split second might have been saved by throwing to the right during one of the early Line Bombs, instead of waiting until the end.  There's a bomb drop at the very end that might look a little silly since there's a path to the exit open, but I'm pretty sure the runner is still looking for pickups.
3-6: DINO!  And then he's gone.  Itchy trigger finger?  There's a nice blind toss at the end to save the stage clear.
3-7: Bomberman makes excellent use of the Vest to turn himself into a walking death trap.  Very lucky and very well played.
3-8: The runner can now walk through walls and gets the powerup VERY quickly.  Well there goes the rest of the game.  Also... DINO!
3-B: This is a neat mechanic.  The cannons fire when you light the fuse along the middle row with your bombs.  All the flame pickups come in useful here, because a bomb can be placed almost anywhere and trigger both cannons.  That boss hitbox seems pretty wonky to me though.  Laying a wall of bombs is a good strategy for destroying the boss's bullets.

4-1: Looks like Bomberman is a pretty good meat shield.
4-2: Our faithful companion is sacrificed to get to the last two towers a little more easily.  Good strategy, but I'll miss poor Bluey.
4-3: Very efficient clear.
4-4: Good job trapping the enemy on the middle platform.  Another stage bites the dust.
4-M: Bomberman takes a hit, but the Remote + Line Bomb combination just can't be beat.
4-5: Oh, I like this snowball mechanic as well.  The runner takes a moment to nab a yellow dino at the very end.  Not as good as blue, but it'll make a good sacrifice.
4-6: There's a slight mislay at the last tower, but with remote bombs it doesn't waste much time.  Other than that a very effective clear.
4-7: Slight lapse in judgement trying to walk through a tower.  It's got to be nice being able to walk across such long stages without blowing up a single block.
4-8: There's an attempt taken at getting a blind kill on the northeast tower.  It wasn't possible this time, but definitely worth trying.  You can't throw on a dinosaur so Bomberman dismounts twice.  The animation takes a little time, but I think the small extra speed is worth it though.
4-B: Yellie is lost to a bomb again.  The runner gets stuck in the boss's cold breath, but the alternative was probably losing a heart, so good call.  Bomberman also narrowly avoids another hit (HOW!?) later in the fight.  Nerf Line Bomb + Remote please.

5-1: A little too much hurrying leads to another self-hit.  I guess the heart counter only goes up to 9?  The runner takes time to find the heart before clearing the stage.
5-2: Good, quick clear, which takes a risk at losing another heart to save time.
5-3: Some more risk taking almost traps Bomberman into a hit in the upper right corner.  Way to keep cool under pressure.  Some time is lost dancing around the enemy patrolling the exit.
5-4: There's a bit of trouble taking down the northwest tower, but the runner pulls through.
S-1: Nerves of steel.
S-2: Bad luck on that Penetrator.
S-3: Really good clear with no damage taken.
S-4: Runner picks up Old Yellie and another heart from the cache at the bottom.  These stages are brutal, but the runner has good pathing under pressure.
S-M: Holy crap this boss.  Line Bombs save the day again, allowing Bomberman to attack from anywhere.  Yellerino bites it, and there's a bit of hesitation on the last hit, but it's a very clean fight.
S-B: Haha, pretty awesome to see all the cannon fodder die at once.  This boss seems like an absolute cakewalk compared to the previous fight.

There are a few glaring errors in the run which are pointed out here and in the run notes.  There's also a lot of little mistakes that add up over the course of the run.  The game ends with at least 9 hearts left, which means some could have been sacrificed for faster clears.

However, many of those minor mistakes are judgement calls or things that you probably wouldn't notice while playing the game.  In addition, the RNG in this game can completely hose the run, especially with all the item pickups.  I feel some conservative playing is justified to potentially save time and the run later on.  World 1 and 2 are rough but Worlds 3-5 GREATLY make up for them.  The runner clearly has excellent understanding of the game mechanics, the general power-up plan, and performs well under the constant pressure of snap decisions.  I greatly enjoyed the run and I am happy to ACCEPT it.
Edit history:
Ghostwheel: 2013-03-24 04:04:28 pm
The artist formerly known as Qxy
I haven't played any of the bomberman games, but I do enjoy runs of strategy based games where randomness forces the runner to have good judgment and reaction time. My comments echo those above for the most part. The route is well planned, the luck is okay, and the execution is great. This is most apparent when the remote detonator is acquired, as the runner times his bomb usage very well. My decision is to Accept
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2013-03-24 06:58:14 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
Well this got a good number of verifiers. I wasn't expecting that.

Glad to hear video quality is good even though I didn't have an S-video cable for this run. I still don't, but plan to make more attempts once I get it. I should be able to offset the cost by selling this game, so ignore the part about not running the game anymore for now.

Quote from Setz:
As a little complaint, I wondered if grabbing the dinos was all that valuable in the grand scheme of the run, although they do provide that extra hit and move faster. It seemed to me like they were generally distracting, and you would lose tiny bits of time jumping on and off of them and watching them evolve. This is basically a subjective issue since it depends entirely on how you play it and also how the luck treats you. I suppose realistically, they serve better as that safety net for devastating mistakes, and this would probably only cut some small number of seconds.

I've thought about this too, and future attempts will avoid the majority of dino eggs, except those before bosses that might let me tank an extra hit. I agree the time to get on and jump off is better spent getting around the levels. The abilities for some are nice, but I hardly use them. I just need to get better at dodging hits.

Quote from Rakuen:
There are a few glaring errors in the run which are pointed out here and in the run notes.  There's also a lot of little mistakes that add up over the course of the run.  The game ends with at least 9 hearts left, which means some could have been sacrificed for faster clears.

Those hearts displayed are extra lives. The hearts to take hits are hidden, and I keep track of them in my head. I think I could take 1 more hit by the end, not counting the hit I took by accidentally walking into the boss while he gives his speech.
1-Up!
Decision posted.
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
Congrats on run Zenic
Waiting hurts my soul...
Thanks, hopefully it won't be the last this year.
Weegee Time
Awesome job, congratulations on the accept! ^_^
Formerly known as Skullboy
Congrats Zenic!