--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Driscollad: 2017-03-02 02:46:50 pm
RPG Limit Break 2017 Schedule:
https://horaro.org/rpglb/2017

Please feel free to sign up for as many runs as you'd like, so that I can compile a full list of both commentators and backups to pinch-hit in any required cases. The goal is to have at least two people accompanying the runner for each run, so if you see one of the runs light on signups, contemplate volunteering to learn a new run, and contact the runner for help. There are exceptions to this, such as the Earthbound and FF Mystic Quest races, etc. which will be discussed and documented, naturally. Also following is the general tips from last year for anyone new to the couch who would like to get involved.

General Considerations:

-The marathon will be adhering to a PG policy. Ensure all commentary and actions are in accordance.
-Read up on NAMI. Understand why we’ve all come together to support them. Feel free, if comfortable, to share any personal experiences with mental illness that can help bring light to NAMI’s work.
-Marathon commentary of an RPG will differ significantly from the average 15-30 minute run at a GDQ. It’s extremely hard to talk about a run only for 3+ hours, so don’t! Mix it up. Work with the host to allow time for incentive plugs, prizes, upcoming games, and NAMI info sessions.
-Factor in the time of day. Graveyard (UTC - 7:00) runs will generally have more dead air to fill, and will benefit from a more conversational approach.
-Having more information than you can comfortably use is better than the alternative.
-The more natural and human the commentary, the more relatable you are, such as “I could never figure out this boss fight as a kid”
-Many attendees (and especially the organizers) are very gifted at entertaining an audience in a marathon setting. You can and should approach them for some pointers on marathon commentary.

Runner Tips:

-Not everyone will be familiar with you, your run, or even the game to begin with. The simplified solution is to make the run accessible to everyone. You may have to explain some topics in layman’s terms, even more so than usual.
-Introduce yourself and your couch mates. Trust me, it’s quite easy to forget this step. But take it further. Sometime during the run, talk about what got you into speedrunning, or running this game. It’s your chance to grow the community of your speedgame of choice, take advantage.
-The first 5 minutes is the best time to touch on the particulars of the game itself. Release date, reception, similar titles if obscure, size of speedrun community, maybe the run history even.
-The folks that have offered to commentate your run have done so because they enjoy watching you, the game, the particulars of the run, or a combination of it all. Therefore they likely don’t need a 100 page document detailing the route ad nauseum. A simple point form outline of the route / tech is more than enough, because the couch crew should be preparing too.
-Whether you’re great at leading the commentary (many of you are) or prefer to focus on the run while your co-pilots talk for you, meet up with the crew to set a general plan of how the play-by-play will be split.
-In the 3 months leading up to your run, take note of the most common questions that come up in your chat during run attempts. Chances are they will be asked during RPG Limit Break.
-Start setting stream time to no-reset runs. Practice rolling with the punches, and commentating along with them.
-A great flow to commentary is simply setting up the topic (“So coming up, I’m about to skip the boss fight”) and then letting a co-commentator follow through (“and maybe Vulajin here can explain how I’m going to do that.”) Having a variety of voices in conversation is much easier to follow and listen to. It also allows you to focus on more difficult moments.
-HAVE FUN! It’s not going to be WR pace with the incentives anyway, so focus on actually enjoying the run. Smile and laugh through the good and bad. Everyone else will too. Promise.

Commentator Tips:

-Watch your runner’s attempts. Many times. Pay attention to how he or she commentates, because you’ll need to compliment it.
-While on site, meet up with your runner. If they get some practice in, sit in with them.
-The task of explaining the more specific tech, skips, etc. may fall on you, so beyond understanding it fully, practice breaking it down to someone that may not necessarily follow the run in question.
-On the contrary, you might find the right opportunity to demystify the most brain-busting enigmas of speedrunning elements, such as “What is RNG?” I’m sure your runner would appreciate if you could answer that, as well as the most common questions he or she might be tired of answering.
-If the runner is nervous, you’re going to be their crutch until they feel comfortable. Maybe keep the mood light, or even do the bulk of the beginning commentary until they catch their breath.
-Perhaps you’re nervous. Simply put, don’t be. You have the easier job here, and with 2 or more on the couch, you’ll get your stride. Just go with the flow.

The dreaded DON’TS!

-This is pretty straightforward, but any divisive commentary at all is off limits, including but not limited to: racism, misogyny, misandry, LGBT, politics, religion, and most importantly, mental health in a negative light. It is not a desired method of getting famous, and it'll only earn you a muted mic and an invitation out of the stream room.
-Don’t Spectate. The viewers are doing that. The attendees behind you are doing that. You are on the couch, so you’re the entertainment. Entertain! Dead air is baaaad. If it’s not a great cutscene, a tense boss battle, or the host, it’s you.
-Don’t absolutely dump as much information as possible, as quickly as possible. It’s an RPG speedrun, often 3+ hours. You'll both never cover everything, nor be able to fill all your time with insightful information. Spread it out with an even pace.
-Don’t Pass it on to the host if they’re not ready. There’s a slim chance the host may not have a donation to read at the time, or may have very recently talked about the charity.
-Don’t fall asleep. Haha!! Ok, seriously though, don’t fall asleep.
-Don’t get salty. The people that enjoy that are far outweighed by the people that get uncomfortable by it. Do, however, be amused as possible by the brutal RNG.
-Don’t have a conversation with the game. By that, I mean “really game? Seriously??? C’mon, game!! Terrible…”
-Please don’t crap all over your game. Many of the viewers are probably tuning in because it was a favourite of theirs as a kid. If, as an example, something in the control scheme makes an aspect of the run difficult or irritating, simply say that.
Thread title:  
I'd like to sign up for commentating the Dragon quest block (Dragon Warrior 3, Monsters 2, Dragon Quest 5), also Final Fantasy Legend 2.  if there is room I'd be glad to sit on the couch with my buddy Bowie for Terranigma.
Also, don't hesitate to send me a private message if you have any sensitive questions or suggestions
Edit history:
GhostKingG1: 2017-03-01 04:00:42 pm
GhostKingG1: 2017-03-01 04:00:16 pm
GhostKingG1: 2017-03-01 03:59:26 pm
GhostKingG1: 2017-03-01 11:11:28 am
Why Hello it is Me
I've brought most of these up with the runners themselves but for the sake of transparency I'll post all of them here too.

Basically legally obligated to couch by the state of Utah: Cthulhu Saves the World, Saturday Morning RPG

Can and would very much like to couch: Super Mario RPG

Can and willing to couch if additional couch commentators are desired: Dragon Quest Monsters 2, Dragon Quest V

If Paper Mario ends up being moved to later on the schedule I can (and would love to) also couch that run but alas I will probably be checking into the hotel at least an hour after it starts with where it is right now.
I'd like to couch YsCelceta
steak Steak STEAK!!!
I can do StarTropics; if it's ST 2 that gets selected, I'm not going to know quite as much about the run, but I can still do a passable commentary.

Unfortunately, there aren't any more runs where I both know the run and don't have personality conflicts with the runner(-s).
Drifting Skies, absolutely feel inclined to reach out to Dark Terrex for any prep on Zoda's Revenge, so you can be involved either way
Why Hello it is Me
At this point my couch for Ys: Memories of Celceta is Tuxdev and Osey889 which I can roll with but if someone is interested just let me know and we can talk about it :3
I am willing and have been asked to couch for: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Pokemon X/Y
I am willing to learn and couch, if the runner will have me: Pokemon Sapphire, World of Final Fantasy

I currently have no one slated for Fable 2 couch and am open to offers. At a minimum I'm looking for people who have played the game at least a fair bit casually. I don't have a specific preference for people I'm already friends with, as long as you're willing to learn the run and provide solid commentary.
I would love to be involved in any games I  knowledge of secret of mana, shining force, earthbound,  and secret of evermore and would love to help with any of those also willing to learn any run enough to be able to talk intelligently. I live in Utah and have tv, radio and Theatre experience so am well spoken and would just love to be involved hit me up if anyone is looking for commentators but would really love to do secret of mana or shining force.
You can never run enough games
I've been asked to couch Final Fantasy XIII-2, and I'm more than happy to do so.

I currently don't have many people to couch Xenoblade, so I'm open to offers. I would prefer it if it's people that are willing to learn more about how the run works and can handle explaining things on their own given that I tell you enough about it. At least a basic knowledge of the game would be nice though, so that you can ask more "basic" questions for things that I might not explain well enough.
@Jeadite

We only have room for 2 since there are 4 headsets and each of us runners will require one. Right now we have confirmed one and are awaiting confirmation on the second who may or may not be able to attend the event. I don't want to tease you, but I do want to let you know that we may need you to commentate for Shining Force. In the meantime, we stream fairly often during mornings (Americas) or afternoons if EU. Stop on in to either myself or Ty2358 and share with us your knowledge though mate. twitch.tv/tskisoccer or twitch.tv/ty2358
MLSTRM - I'm up for helping out on Xenoblade, if you'll have me. I will need to spend some extra time learning the run's ins and outs. Can make sure that happens, if you'll have me Smiley

The Mystic Boys - Have all four of you got it on lock for the race? Or will you all want to focus? If it's the latter, I'd like to put my name down to assist in the commentary. Smiley

DavidK5 - Would you want/need a support for comms for Dragon Quarter? I am more than up for helping you out if you do. Smiley

Requests for Terranigma: Currently unsure on my couch set-up. Will get back to you next week when I've thought about how I want to approach it! Smiley

Smiley

:^)
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
Confirming I did indeed write into the law books of Utah that GhostKing needs to be on the couch for Saturday Morning RPG.  Other people are welcome if they don't mind the late shift, havig a less serious tone (again, graveyard) and making as many 80s references as possible.  I think we'll be able to cover all the "tech" the run has pretty well between myself and GhostKing.  I know that Ghoul also learned the route at one point and would get high priority if he so desires Cheesy

Willing to learn anything about and that game that might have a Ys title but is really a Sonic The Hedgehog game or Chutulu Saves The World if those couches need anyone.  I actually loved Chutulu casually.
I must simply laugh.
Signing up for:
Diablo II
Terranigma
Final Fantasy Legend 3

currently pending on FF7, Ely is asking a lot of people that are way more knowledgable but i can be the backup for the backup on that one
Quote from BOWIEtheHERO:

DavidK5 - Would you want/need a support for comms for Dragon Quarter? I am more than up for helping you out if you do. Smiley

I already replied to you in Discord, but yes, I would love for you to help with DQ Smiley
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
Signing up for:
Fire Emblem
Fable 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Edit history:
puwexil: 2017-03-11 12:41:36 pm
Professional Second Banana
Final Fantasy VII
Terranigma
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Final Fantasy Legend III

Will happily defer on any game if lots of other people offer and/or the runner has other plans.
bichGOAL
Saga Frontier - I have talked to cha0s and obda already and this should be set.
Final Fantasy Legend 2 - I've actually run this, but at the end of the day, gyre and HS talk enough as it is.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - I suggest y'all let runners handle this because no one else knows the game as well as we do.

If it's necessary to say, I accept both elmagus and puwexil for my glorious FFL3 run.
I'd like to nominate DanielRGT, HelloBoing, and GhostKingG1 for couch commentary for SMRPG!
ホイシンソース
about my runs
DQ5: HighSpirits and tonic have been commentating DQ5 PS2 in my marathon runs (JRTA3 and RTA in Japan) so I'd like them to commentate my run again.
FF12: there will be a lot of FF12 runners on site, so we have to figure out who will have headset to commentate. will update after talking to Roosta.

about others runs
I'm willing to join commentating for Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games if any of the games needs commentator.
Live and Learn, Die and Learn Faster
I do not speedrun them, but I have lots of casual experience playing Baldur's Gate II and Final Fantasy Tactics (and others, but they are already clearly stocked with commentators) and would love to learn the run for commentary.  Less experience with it, but Legend of Grimrock as well.

If anyone else needs a commentary, I learn very quickly, love to learn new runs/games, and love to talk (too much) about things that I study and learn.
Insanity Prelude
I'll join elmag00se for FFT and of course, mah boi aithere for SO3 assuming both are cool with it.
If need be I can learn commentary for Fable 2 I play the crap out of that game.
Stream monster
If needed, I can also couch SO3 and FFT. My goals before Limit Break do involve learning both runs before the event itself takes place.

As for Mystic Quest, like bichphuongballz has stated we (the runners) can handle commentary for the run ourselves. But, since there's only 4 mic setups for the stream, I'd be fine with giving up mic for a dedicated race commentator.