--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Driscollad: 2016-02-05 01:07:13 pm
Driscollad: 2016-02-05 01:06:55 pm
RPG Limit Break 2016 Schedule: http://bombch.us/B3WZ

There won't be a form this year, but simply this thread to express interest in commentary. Please feel free to sign up for as many runs as you'd like, so that I can compile a full list of both commentators and backups to pinch-hit in any required cases. The goal is to have at least two people accompanying the runner for each run, so if you see one of the runs light on signups, contemplate volunteering to learn a new run, and contact the runner for help. There are exceptions to this, such as the Legend of Mana race, etc. which will be discussed and documented, naturally. Also following is the general tips from last year, with slight changes, namely Darch is running the "game" this year and Brossentia is actually running non-concentrated evil.

General Considerations:

-The marathon will be adhering to a PG policy. Ensure all commentary and actions are in accordance.
-Read up on NAMI. Understand why we’ve all come together to support them. Feel free, if comfortable, to share any personal experiences with mental illness that can help bring light to NAMI’s work.
-Marathon commentary of an RPG will differ significantly from the average 15-30 minute run at a GDQ. It’s extremely hard to talk about a run only for 3+ hours, so don’t! Mix it up. Work with the host to allow time for incentive plugs, prizes, upcoming games, and NAMI info sessions.
-Factor in the time of day. Graveyard (UTC - 7:00) runs will generally have more dead air to fill, and will benefit from a more conversational approach.
-Having more information than you can comfortably use is better than the alternative.
-The more natural and human the commentary, the more relatable you are, such as “I could never figure out this boss fight as a kid”
-Many attendees (and especially the organizers) are very gifted at entertaining an audience in a marathon setting. You can and should approach them for some pointers on marathon commentary.

Runner Tips:

-Not everyone will be familiar with you, your run, or even the game to begin with. The simplified solution is to make the run accessible to everyone. You may have to explain some topics in layman’s terms, even more so than usual.
-Introduce yourself and your couch mates. Trust me, it’s quite easy to forget this step. But take it further. Sometime during the run, talk about what got you into speedrunning, or running this game. It’s your chance to grow the community of your speedgame of choice, take advantage.
-The first 5 minutes is the best time to touch on the particulars of the game itself. Release date, reception, similar titles if obscure, size of speedrun community, maybe the run history even.
-The folks that have offered to commentate your run have done so because they enjoy watching you, the game, the particulars of the run, or a combination of it all. Therefore they likely don’t need a 100 page document detailing the route ad nauseum. A simple point form outline of the route / tech is more than enough, because the couch crew should be preparing too.
-Whether you’re great at leading the commentary (many of you are) or prefer to focus on the run while your co-pilots talk for you, meet up with the crew to set a general plan of how the play-by-play will be split.
-In the 3 months leading up to your run, take note of the most common questions that come up in your chat during run attempts. Chances are they will be asked during RPG Limit Break.
-Start setting stream time to no-reset runs. Practice rolling with the punches, and commentating along with them.
-A great flow to commentary is simply setting up the topic (“So coming up, I’m about to skip the boss fight”) and then letting a co-commentator follow through (“and maybe Vulajin here can explain how I’m going to do that.”) Having a variety of voices in conversation is much easier to follow and listen to. It also allows you to focus on more difficult moments.
-HAVE FUN! It’s not going to be WR pace with the incentives anyway, so focus on actually enjoying the run. Smile and laugh through the good and bad. Everyone else will too. Promise.

Commentator Tips:

-Watch your runner’s attempts. Many times. Pay attention to how he or she commentates, because you’ll need to compliment it.
-While on site, meet up with your runner. If they get some practice in, sit in with them.
-The task of explaining the more specific tech, skips, etc. may fall on you, so beyond understanding it fully, practice breaking it down to someone that may not necessarily follow the run in question.
-On the contrary, you might find the right opportunity to demystify the most brain-busting enigmas of speedrunning elements, such as “What is RNG?” I’m sure your runner would appreciate if you could answer that, as well as the most common questions he or she might be tired of answering.
-If the runner is nervous, you’re going to be their crutch until they feel comfortable. Maybe keep the mood light, or even do the bulk of the beginning commentary until they catch their breath.
-Perhaps you’re nervous. Simply put, don’t be. You have the easier job here, and with 2 or more on the couch, you’ll get your stride. Just go with the flow.

The dreaded DON’TS!

-Don’t Spectate. The viewers are doing that. The attendees behind you are doing that. You are on the couch, so you’re the entertainment. Entertain! Dead air is baaaad. If it’s not a great cutscene, a tense boss battle, or the host, it’s you.
-Don’t absolutely dump as much information as possible, as quickly as possible. It’s an RPG speedrun, likely 3+ hours. You'll both never cover everything, nor be able to fill all your time with insightful information. Spread it out with an even pace.
-Don’t Pass it on to the host if they’re not ready. There’s a slim chance the host may not have a donation to read at the time, or may have very recently talked about the charity.
-Don’t fall asleep. Haha!! Ok, seriously though, don’t fall asleep.
-Don’t get salty. The people that enjoy that are far outweighed by the people that get uncomfortable by it.
-Don’t have a conversation with the game. By that, I mean “really game? Seriously??? C’mon, game!! Terrible…”
-With one obvious exception, please don’t crap all over your game. Many of the viewers are probably tuning in because they love the game. If something in the control scheme makes an aspect of the run difficult or irritating, simply say that. The preceding clearly does not apply to the one obvious exception. (Hint: It's NOT BROSSENTIA THIS YEAR! HE'S PLAYING A GOOD GAME THIS TIME!!)
Thread title:  
I'm signing up for Soul Blazer and Saturday Morning RPG
All the things
I'd like to sign up for Robotrek.
I'm very happy to see that, Omni Wink
Is PJ
I happily accept Omnigamer for Robotrek!
bichGOAL
I'd like to sign up for phantasy star 4 and final fantasy 6
I offer to commentate for Child of Light and Final Fantasy 13.
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
I had already spoken to Ghoul about him commentating Saturday Morning RPG, which he had accepted.  I expect him to help explain some of the technical stuff.  Driscollad, I'll also be needing help point out as many 80s references as possible and being conversational as possible (since it's graveyard shift), so if you can do that, I'll gladly take your help!
Professional Second Banana
Might add some more later, but for now I'll offer for Child of Light, Parasite Eve, and Final Fantasy V.
The artist formerly known as Qxy
I'll offer to commentate for the Kingdom Hearts runs if the runners are willing to have me, I've certainly been around the scene and following runs long enough.
Why Hello it is Me
I brought it up in Ghostwheels stream but Ill offer to commentate for Radiant Historia.
Edit history:
osey889: 2016-02-06 12:16:54 am
Soul Blazer (recently learned the route), Radiant Historia(currently been working with ghostwheel with how to work commentary), and Disgaea 3 (If pink doesn't mind a casual player of the game around :P)

twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
Doing Eternal Sonata and Youkai Watch, I can offer for FFX-2 and Battle Network 6
Edit history:
doicm: 2016-02-06 05:46:32 pm
I'd like to sign up for Battle Network 6, Child of Light (which will probably be full), and FFXIII. I had the record on one version of Battle Network 6 for a while, so I have pretty solid knowledge of it. I had been routing Child of Light while I was not able to run it on my really slow computer, both any% and "100%". FFXIII is just that run that is fun to watch for me that I know some strats here and there about.

Also, if Vulajin gets in for Child of Light, he must rhyme with all his might.
Doicm and Terra are both gonna be on the Battle Network 6 couch for sure.

I talked to Rosael and he okayed me for the Etrian Odyssey 3 couch.
I'm looking for additional people to couch for Superstar Saga.  Right now the tentative plan is to have DarkTerrex couch if he's able to go but the rest of the spots are open.
I could also couch for Superstar Saga. You know how I'm willing to grill you with questions and the like.
Pudding%
I'll offer to couch for Superstar Saga, and possibly pinch hit for FFV if it ends up not having enough. I'd probably be last on the priority list for FF5 though.

For Drakkhen I'm planning on having Metasigma and PJ on the couch. PJ if he accepts, of course. Meta doesn't have a say in this matter Wink
Is PJ
Quote from Dragondarch:
I'll offer to couch for Superstar Saga, and possibly pinch hit for FFV if it ends up not having enough. I'd probably be last on the priority list for FF5 though.

For Drakkhen I'm planning on having Metasigma and PJ on the couch. PJ if he accepts, of course. Meta doesn't have a say in this matter Wink

Gladly!  Count me in.
Evermore Extrodinare ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ
Quote from Dragondarch:

It's true Tongue

Also I spoke with PJ and he graciously said I could join him and Omni on the couch for Robotrek.
Stay chill, be cool.
I'm also going to be on couch for Yokai Watch.  If it's okay with Obda, I'd like to be on the couch for Bravely Default as well.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2016-02-09 02:09:26 pm
<(^_^)>
Only runs I'd feel comfortable commentating for is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Bravely Default, but since I likely won't be there for the first half of the event, probably just Bravely Default.
I brought it up to him directly, but if ThatsFairZack would like additional commentary on the couch for Lufia 2 Ancient Cave I'd be happy to assist. I would also understand if others with more experience are present.
I'd like to be on the couch for FF13 as well, :).
Is PJ
Quote from MetaSigma:
Also I spoke with PJ and he graciously said I could join him and Omni on the couch for Robotrek.

Confirming this!