--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-11-11 11:32:45 am
<(^_^)>
As a note puwexil, the WR holder (gwimpage) for fire emblem: radiant dawn recently got a better quality run up on youtube here if you want a better video example - (current record for the category I offered)
I looked at the google document myself. is it possible for the category to put Any % / Any % Co- Op for my submission in case I'm the only one to go. Also I forgot to mention in the video link that I'm the WR holder for said game
The document you guys are referring to is not an official document, as Gymfreak made clear on the previous page. Donation incentives will be sorted out later, and it doesn't matter if they're wrong on that document anyway.
Just to make everything clear, I am NOT an organizer for this event. The doc was made for an easy way to see everything. It is not an official page for the event. If you want to make changes, tell puwexil.
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
For Valkyria Chronicles, PC is going to be the version played, and the estimate should be dropped to 2:40 without extra content

New WR on PC version here http://www.twitch.tv/pxtfd/c/5537147
Professional Second Banana
Here we go!  To cut right to the chase:

Game List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_0T8klBbAFBn8nbESBut9YiXyDTp-pGnTspNWojLfzU/edit?usp=sharing

We're looking for the marathon to run from roughly noon on May 12th until evening on May 16th, for about 106 total hours (the 120 hour # I threw out earlier was based on faulty math - my apologies).  The current list adds up to about 103 total hours between gameplay and bonus content, and should get us where we need to be when we factor in setup time.

Goals in game selection were:
1. Have a schedule strong for attracting viewers and raising donations
2. Give several games that aren't quite GDQ material a chance to be in an onsite marathon
3. Maximize the # of runners that can participate

Games on the 'Waitlist' will be candidates to replace accepted runs whose runners drop out.  If we have a lot of drops, declined runs will be re-evaluated as well.

Notes on specific games:
Baldur's Gate Trilogy = run of all 3 Baldur's Gate games using the same file.

Child of Light - we talked to olystice about NG instead of NG+ (NG will be a much better watch in a marathon) and raised the estimate to 2 1/2 hours.

Final Fantasy IV - with how many good runners offered the game, how close the FF4 part of the last SNES FF Relay was, and the game having been in numerous previous marathons, we all agreed that it would be a waste not to make this some kind of race.  We decided to go with the No Stairs Glitch category since that's been in fewer recent marathons (all of which predate the current route) and has a much more climactic ending; and we'd like to try to make it a 4-way race between Khobahi, nocashnocash, the_roth, and Neerrm (tech details are still being discussed, but will likely involve using a restreaming server ala the FF Relay, so the runners can be more spread out within the room or house).  I'm really excited at this prospect, and think it can easily be our equivalent to the super-hype 4-way Super Metroid race from last AGDQ.

Final Fantasy Tactics - If both Tide and Chessjerk are able to make it, I'm fine with this being a co-op/relay run.  I'd also like it if No Math could be a donation incentive (would add some more fundraising & commentary potential to the run, and marathon viewers have a pretty solid history of donating to make runs more challenging); but I'll leave that to the runners to decide.

PSX 3D RPGs - To maximize the variety in the schedule and the # of runners than can participate, we decided to limit it to one 8+ hour run, and for that we decided to go with Lunar 2 instead of FF7, 8, or 9.  This was not an easy decision, but we ultimately felt that the longer RPG slot should go to a strong franchise/run that's not quite up to GDQ standards for acceptance.

Mega Man Battle Network - Tentatively accepted MMBN3, but I more like the idea of a bidding war between multiple MMBN games if the logistics can work out.

Suikoden - Like with FFT, I'll leave it to the runners that offered it to hash out who's doing the run, or if it would work for a co-op run.

The Demon Rush - This game has enough notoriety and history within the speedrunning community that we decided it was worth a shot.  Hoping the estimate can be lowered with practice (current fastest known time is under 4 hours).

Valkyria Chronicles - I'd strongly prefer the PC version as I've heard the loading times are significantly faster.

Wild Arms - As WA1 hasn't been in a marathon before and has a lot of highly technical glitches/tricks in rapid succession, I rather not have this as a race.  If both cha0sSDA and EnkerBlues can make it, same deal as FFT and Suikoden.

The amount of submissions we received definitely blew away my expectations - picking ~25% for the accept list definitely wasn't easy for me or the 4 people that helped me; but I'm very happy with how the accepted lineup is looking, along with the pool of fresh content we'll have to choose from in 2016 and beyond!

Any other questions about specific games - feel free to ask.
Pudding%
Firstly, I give you a big "Tsk Tsk" for using faulty math. Hasn't FF5 taught you anything?
Secondly, you missed having this done by Dec. 1st by 38:06 in your time zone. That earns you another "Tsk Tsk." Wink

Curiosities:
I won't ask about Crystalis GBC, because it's lolCrystalisGBC.
Legacy of the Wizard I'm guessing because at best it's on the very outer edge of being an RPG. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I'm a little surprised Crystalis NES isn't donation incentive for 100%.
Big one I wanna know about, naturally, is Paladin's Quest given that I put more time into that one than the rest of my submissions.
Game schedule looks great!

I can handle whatever MMBN game comes my way, as I submitted any of them prepared for any and all of them, and I can prepare for whichever one comes last second if necessary and can also manage a bidding war if logistics can work out. I'm guessing you wanted to put MMBN3 on the schedule due to it being the longest of my submissions that I gave? In any case, I'll go ahead and get ready for preparing between four different runs.

Shouldn't be too tough, I imagine. I'm hoping I can bring notes to this thing, just in case (because I MIGHT get things mixed up by the time the event comes...).
Ate the extra spicy banana
A solid schedule without any complaints here. Sad I don't got a game to play but will be awesome to see some runs I've yet to see in a marathon setting before such as FFT
0-10
Figures... Well, good luck to everyone that got in. Smiley
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:42:03 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:26:07 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:13:25 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:13:18 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:13:10 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:13:03 am
kirbymastah: 2014-12-01 08:09:27 am
<(^_^)>
Great schedule, tons of variety! Happy that fire emblem got in but also a bit sad about the huge list of rejects, but that can't really be helped :/

Also I've significantly improved my personal best for fire emblem down to 2:48:40 and it had the worst luck possible so it's a crappy run Tongue There have been a few new strats found to shave off a little bit of time too (and still are being found at this moment). I think you can cut my estimate down to 3:05:00 safely as I consistently finish runs in under 3 hours, if that matters in the long run. Could cut it down more but I definitely want to be safe

Current PB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq6Ww5pTUx0

Obligatory Salt: How dare you reject crystalis GBC, it's an amazingly well-programmed game!
Quote from kirbymastah:

Obligatory Salt: How dare you reject crystalis GBC, it's an amazingly well-programmed game!

Don't forget amazing soundtrack
No pain, no gain

I can feel the rush.

(also, yeah, estimate will most likely go down)
Talk to the Hand
Quote from Highspirits:
Quote from kirbymastah:

Don't forget amazing soundtrack

He had to cut it, otherwise everybody would've had to SAMBA! and the run would never have been finished.
DO THE MEATEO
Awesome! Looking forward to coming over Cheesy
The artist formerly known as Qxy
A bit sad that I couldn't get at least one game in, but I know my submissions were a little odd. Maybe next year.

How does this put us on the attendance cap? It's still really easy for me to go and while I would have rather ran a game, I still want to meet you guys.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2014-12-01 11:35:17 am
puwexil: 2014-12-01 11:24:17 am
Professional Second Banana
Quote from Dragondarch:
Firstly, I give you a big "Tsk Tsk" for using faulty math. Hasn't FF5 taught you anything?

It's taught me that math is a deadly power that shouldn't be trifled with.
Quote:
Secondly, you missed having this done by Dec. 1st by 38:06 in your time zone. That earns you another "Tsk Tsk." Wink

You can thank DW and Baramos/Zoma for that, who were clearly in league to distract me last night. Cheesy

Quote:
Curiosities:
I won't ask about Crystalis GBC, because it's lolCrystalisGBC.

Sadly no one else on the committee liked my idea of making the loser of the NES Crystalis race run the GBC version afterwards.
Quote:
Legacy of the Wizard I'm guessing because at best it's on the very outer edge of being an RPG. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Correct - it wasn't flat out declined for not having enough enough RPG elements, but we ultimately decided that other games on the list were better choices for the schedule.
Quote:
I'm a little surprised Crystalis NES isn't donation incentive for 100%.

We can have 100% be an incentive (along with filenames, maybe using the top 2 since it's a race) - I just put 100% on the list so the 100% estimate would be used in the formulas.
Quote:
Big one I wanna know about, naturally, is Paladin's Quest given that I put more time into that one than the rest of my submissions.

We decided other non-FF SNES RPGs that were offered (Earthbound, Lufia 2, Secret of Mana, etc) were better fits.  5 hours also felt a bit long relative to the game's popularity and donation incentives.

Quote from doicm:
Whatever MMBN game comes my way, as I submitted any of them prepared for any and all of them, and I can prepare for whichever one comes last second if necessary and can also manage a bidding war if logistics can work out. I'm guessing you wanted to put MMBN3 on the schedule due to it being the longest of my submissions that I gave? In any case, I'll go ahead and get ready for preparing between four different runs.

Could we go with what you consider your 2 best MMBN games (both for popularity and how entertaining the speedruns are)?  I don't want to overload either the viewers for choices or you in having to practice too many runs.

Quote from Ghostwheel:
How does this put us on the attendance cap? It's still really easy for me to go and while I would have rather ran a game, I still want to meet you guys.

We'll start signups probably late winter/early spring, and by that time we'll have a formal policy for how we'll handle attendance if we get more than 45 signups.  If we end up having to turn a lot of people away because of the cap, that will likely lead to RPG LB 2016 being in a different venue with more capacity (which wasn't an option for our first event due to that making the costs less stable).
SDA Speedruns: 1
We should implement a death counter onto the stream for the Mystic Quest run/race. Who knows, maybe this will be the year we die to the first enemy in the game. Hasn't happened at a marathon yet but still makes for a good laugh.
Quote from FFgamer86:
We should implement a death counter onto the stream for the Mystic Quest run/race. Who knows, maybe this will be the year we die to the first enemy in the game. Hasn't happened at a marathon yet but still makes for a good laugh.

Don't think I can trick Vulajin and Loren into dishing out that kind of money again this year Sad
<(^_^)>
For my fire emblem run we should have a "wasted crit/skill proc" counter. that would be fun.
I'm sure we could implement all sorts of counters this years. Maybe an "overall counter of counters"?
That counter should also include whenever Vulajin or myself get a legendary gear piece in diablo 3 that neither of us can use.
Quote from Highspirits:
Quote from FFgamer86:

Don't think I can trick Vulajin and Loren into dishing out that kind of money again this year Sad

$200 if it goes deathless, otherwise $5 per death LOL.
Edit history:
FFgamer86: 2014-12-01 01:09:14 pm
Quote from FFgamer86:
Quote from Highspirits:
Quote from FFgamer86:

$200 if it goes deathless, otherwise $5 per death LOL.

EDIT: Technically, Last year's run ended up dieing on a boss that won't be in the new route.

OOPS that was suppose to be an edit, not a quote. My bad.
The counter also needs to keep track of RNG misses in secret of mana.