Sad
12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I am Essentia's man
Now for my second thread on SDA though, alas, I seem to be monothematic so far.  I will be in charge of the food for the RPG Limit Break 2015 marathon.  Suggestions are welcome to any portion of the outline below and I will do what I can to accommodate.  I am also aware of those who indicated food allergies when signing up and will do what I can to accommodate you (feel free to PM me with specific requests/suggestions).  With that introduction, here is what I have come up with:

- Available all day (and night)
      - breakfast cereal
      - fruit
      - snacks
      - sandwich materials (lunch meat and fixings, peanut butter and jam, etc.)
      - drinks (soft drinks and juices)
      - leftovers (I tend to cook more than everyone will/can eat)

General food schedule
- Monday May 11th
      - Sandwiches, snacks, and cereal
      - kick off dinner at a local pizza buffet
- Tuesday May 12th through Saturday May 16th
      - prepared meal in the morning, about 10:00
      - prepared meal in the evening, about 6:30
- Sunday May 17th
      - prepared meal in the morning, about 10:00
      - leftovers, sandwiches, cereal, and snacks since most will be sightseeing/eating out/returning home
- Monday May 18th and Tuesday May 19th
      - leftovers, sandwiches, cereal, and snacks since most will be sightseeing/eating out/returning home

The next order of business is what food to have:

- Breakfast meals (six meals)
      - pancakes
      - waffles
      - french toast
      - eggs, hash browns, meat (ham slices, bacon, sausage)
      - breakfast burritos
      - suggestions, repeats of the above, or cereal
  - Dinner meals (five meals)
      - spaghetti
      - hamburgers and hot dogs
      - sloppy joes and possibly another shredded meat with sauce
      - tacos
      - steak, chicken, and rolls
  - Breakfast Cereal (hot or cold)
      - make requests and we will see what we end up with
  - Fruit
      - bananas
      - apples
      - oranges
      - others as needed/requested
  - Snacks
      - chips - make requests
      - cookies, donuts, etc. - make requests and we'll see where we end up
      - candy - Swedish fish (of course) and other requests
  - Sandwich materials
      - bread
      - assorted lunch meats
      - assorted cheeses
      - lettuce and pickles
      - mustard, mayo, miracle whip
  - By request
      - grilled cheese, possibly grilled muenster
      - quesadillas
  - Drinks
      - apple and orange juice
      - soda - make requests and we'll see where we end up
      - all the water you can drink
      - coffee (if anyone can bring a coffee maker or suggest an inexpensive one that would help - I do not own one)

If you are interested in helping with meal preparation, feel free to sign up when the RPGLB volunteer form is posted.

If there is interest, the spaghetti meal can be opened up if someone wants to prepare a special sauce to share.  If there is a desire to do something special with some other portion of a meal, we can discuss details.

I will keep track of requests and suggestions here:

I'll keep this post updated as best I can.  Keep the suggestions rolling.
Thread title:  
Not a walrus
Should just replace the entire OP with "Swedish Fish".
I should be able to help out in the kitchen when i am not dealing with either of my runs. I do have culinary training so it would be nice to put it to use.
I would bring my own coffee maker but i think my family would hate me forever, so i suggest a Cheap Black & Decker coffee maker. The digital version would be a little cheaper and while the Programmable one has nice features i doubt you would use them, more then anything i found these to do allright and they are easy to clean.
I am Essentia's man
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Should just replace the entire OP with "Swedish Fish".

While that is tempting, I think the ensuing sugar buzz would negatively impact gameplay quality.  I will, however, make sure I keep enough on hand to keep your sugar level as elevated as you want it.

Quote from osey889:
I would bring my own coffee maker but i think my family would hate me forever, so i suggest a Cheap Black & Decker coffee maker. The digital version would be a little cheaper and while the Programmable one has nice features i doubt you would use them, more then anything i found these to do allright and they are easy to clean.

I just had a coffee maker offered for use during the marathon, so we should be in luck (thanks Brossentia).  If we end up needing another I am sure I can go to a local store and pick up another.

Quote from osey889:
I should be able to help out in the kitchen when i am not dealing with either of my runs.

Thanks for the offer - I appreciate the help.  There will be a place for attendees to sign up for helping prepare food (and other marathon support opportunities) posted soon, so you and anyone else interested in helping can sign up there.
Not a walrus
In all seriousness I'll probably bring my electric kettle again unless you have something like that already. For people to make tea and such with.
I am Essentia's man
We do have a coffee maker coming, but beyond that it would be the microwave or a pan on the stove for hot water above 120 degrees.
berserker status
Oh man this thread takes me back.  Denton's cooking alone is worth the price of admission plus the homemade root beer and that mountain of bacon D:  Good times!
I am Essentia's man
Quote from Riskbreaker Y:
Oh man this thread takes me back.  Denton's cooking alone is worth the price of admission plus the homemade root beer and that mountain of bacon D:  Good times!

I'm glad I've created good memories.  There will be at least one evening with rootbeer and I just bought 10 pounds of bacon to re-create the mountain.  Too bad we can't transmit the wonderful smell along with the video.
I am Essentia's man
The first food purchases have been made - bacon, various meats, ice cream, a few snacks, and assorted fruit juices.  I hope you're hungry.
Professional Second Banana
Quote from YellowBug:
The first food purchases have been made - bacon, various meats, ice cream, a few snacks, and assorted fruit juices.  I hope you're hungry.

Shocked
<(^_^)>
Quote from YellowBug:

I'm coming over as a Kirby. Is that any concern?
I am Essentia's man
Quote from kirbymastah:

I'm coming over as a Kirby. Is that any concern?

I would love it if everything I bought and cooked for the marathon got eaten.  So far I am zero for two on that count.
I am Essentia's man
Food purchases are continuing and the second fridge is nearly full.  I've also used up a full shelf of the pantry and a significant corner of the basement.  Anyone else want to volunteer to be a Kirby?

I do need some input from attendees on favorite soft drinks, breakfast cereals, and snacks.  I'll do what I can to fill any requests that come in, though it will be easier to accommodate requests the sooner I get them.

Also, for those who want coffee I saw Folgers at Costco and was thinking I'd get that brand.  As always, input is appreciated.
Professional Second Banana
Diet Mt. Dew and Coke Zero are my liquid vices of choice.  I mostly prefer unsweetened corn cereals like Cheerios/Crispix and granola bars for snacks, but I'm not picky.
I try to avoid sugar for the most part, so I'm all for unsweetened cereals and granola bars too.  I'll drink mostly water and unsweet tea if its available.  Have to save my limited sugar intake for those fish.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2015-04-27 12:51:55 am
I will need Mountain Dew (non-diet) or I will actually die.
Insanity Prelude
So Vulajins run on Mountain Drew. Interesting...

On topic: I'm a heavy tea drinker but not particular picky about it. Green Tea is my favourite if I need to be specific. I third granola bars as a snack, especially during a run. Its filling and relatively healthy compared to other choices and would be my preferred "go to" option.
<(^_^)>
Standard coke/pepsi will be fine for me.
I'll probably drink tea and water for the most part.  And I'm not sure how many other people would eat healthy snacks, but I'd like to have some mixed nuts and/or berries around.  Peanuts are good too, and a bit more crowd-pleasing.
I am Essentia's man
Quote from Vulajin:
I will need Mountain Dew (non-diet) or I will actually die.

This sounds like a very serious request, so I must ask - standard green, some other color, or every color of the rainbow?

Quote from Tide:
On topic: I'm a heavy tea drinker but not particular picky about it. Green Tea is my favourite if I need to be specific.

I can get some green tea bags on hand easy enough.  I'll see about others flavors of tea bags as well to mix it up.

Quote from AlecK47:
I'll probably drink tea and water for the most part.  And I'm not sure how many other people would eat healthy snacks, but I'd like to have some mixed nuts and/or berries around.  Peanuts are good too, and a bit more crowd-pleasing.

I'll be sure to have a variety of snacks including fresh fruit and some dried fruit (banana chips are one of my favorites).  A bag of nuts and or trail mix is easy enough.

Thanks for all the requests.  I'll be making several more shopping trips, so keep the requests coming.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2015-04-28 11:26:05 am
Standard green Mountain Dew. Throwback (the cane sugar variety) is even better if available, but I'll be very thankful either way.
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
I'll take Sprite, gonna need a lot of it to stay up through the marathon.
I got a pretty good Spaghetti Pasta sauce recipe thats sure to be a crowd pleaser. also something i can do if we got alot of leftover (meats,cheeses,veggies,) i can make omelets or make quiche if we got the oven space. As for the spaghetti sauce, should i send you a recipe card or list of ingredients? 
I am Essentia's man
Quote from osey889:
I got a pretty good Spaghetti Pasta sauce recipe thats sure to be a crowd pleaser. also something i can do if we got alot of leftover (meats,cheeses,veggies,) i can make omelets or make quiche if we got the oven space. As for the spaghetti sauce, should i send you a recipe card or list of ingredients? 

The spaghetti sauces currently on tap are Essentia's family specialty, store bought alfredo, and canned tomato based sauce.  If you wanted to contribute your own and are willing to make it, I'd be happy to help gather ingredients.

On one of the bonus days we could do omelets.  We'll have to see how the food is looking at that point.

In general though the cooking will be outside for one primary reason - the AC has a hard enough time keeping up with all the people and electronics.  As long as it can be cooked by pot, pan, griddle, crock pot, or grill we should be good to go.

Quote from Vulajin:
Standard green Mountain Dew. Throwback (the cane sugar variety) is even better if available, but I'll be very thankful either way.

Green it is then.  We don't want to lose our tech master.

Quote from PX_:
I'll take Sprite, gonna need a lot of it to stay up through the marathon.

10 liters of Sprite already stocked plus a variety of other flavors to sample.  36 two liter bottles in total, though mostly Coke products.  Never fear Vulajin - a significant stock of green Mountain Dew will be added.

In case I forgot to mention, there will also be homemade root beer on at least one occasion.

Thanks for all the input.  Keep it coming.
Edit history:
YellowBug: 2015-05-01 10:42:49 pm
I am Essentia's man
Made another shopping trip today.  Now we have nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, some cereal, oatmeal, and three Costco size packs of granola bars.  I think it totals around 180 granola bars.  Please eat them all.  Really.  That many would take forever to eat after you guys leave.

We are rapidly approaching your last chance for input.  I have one, maybe two more shopping trips left before the marathon starts.  Speak now and your food wish may be fulfilled.  We do not want to contemplate the consequences of silence.