Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Slyse'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/robinhoodprinceofthieves-20141105/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 5, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
9:20 Could probably have done the grinding while moving further south at the same time unless the spawns are just that much better in that area. I get that getting the level-up sooner gives you a greater agility sooner. This would have required keeping track of the exact exp ofc.

20:00 This fight looks like more aggression could cut some time.

27:03 Saddles work best in conjunction with horses.

30:10 Indications Robin is actually gay, he's just conforming to social norms.

Okay this has quite good execution for the most part.

accept
A/V seems to be good, but there is one strange thing. Many times, it looks like the game just stops for 10-15 frames. See for example 9:32. At first, I thought it was inserted frames, but there is no jump in the video when movement starts again. I could also have understood if it were the runner having to release the d-pad because of finger fatigue, but the enemies also seem to stop. I played the game on emulator for a few minutes, but couldn't observe this. It would be interesting to hear the runner's opinion of what this is.

Gameplay: The game looks pretty neat from a viewer perspective, but the controls are very floaty and it's easy to get stuck on corners and such. From what I could see, the route seemed efficient and it was overall well played, even though there is some room for improvement (got stuck for a bit in a few places and so on). But as mentioned, this game doesn't handle too well, so it might be hard to improve the execution by much. More time was lost due to rng-factors (especially some of the sword fights). A lot of these places come late in the game though, so resetting your way to good luck would be quite the task.

Accept
Now with 23% more reset!
Hi,

Thanks for veryfying the run. The stop you see at 9:32 is a feature of the game, usually happens just before enemies spawn on the screen / enemy type changes. It's very inconsistent, and I don't really know what triggers it. As for the movement, yes it is very floaty and it's easy to get stuck on objects. There's still a lot to improve in this run, especially menuing, and I still keep trying to squeeze out a perfect run out of this.

I've already expressed my concerns about the encode quality, and they will re-encode these files with the raw material.
SGL Scrublord
Having played the game myself, the slight load delay is indeed a real thing. I'll be verifying this properly over the next few days.
SGL Scrublord
Knock knock knock…the telltale sound of Robin Hood floating through Sherwood Forest!

Raced the game a bit with Svenne about a year ago, played it a ton as a kid.

A/V has been discussed with a raw encode on the way, so that’s been handled.

No cheating from what I see, items hold up over the run.

Crusader’s Remorse: Knock knock! Quick set up on the Executioner fight, walking into guards is risky, as one can decide to start a duel scene with a low % chance. Melee 1 was handled well.

Jolly Old England: Guy Melee skip is failed, but the fight is done well, Robin speeds around for arrows and daddy issues. Wolf screws up the exit.

Maid in the Shade:  Almost gets locked into a duel with a soldier, minor fumbling in the menu, then its HORSEY TIME!!!!!! I once game over’d  on the last non-chase horse scene. That was a bummer.

Ghosts in the Woods:  Robin makes two friends, one by his potent aroma, and one by multiple lacerations to the knee. Excellent set up on Little John.

Backpage Job Lackeys: Levels up in the forest, excellent Marriage melee, the last guard gives him the business. Baron duel goes well with the corner strategy.

Bacon R Us: Wild boars are no fun, GigaBoar is laid low by tenderizing thoroughly.

All’s Well That Ends Well: Robin steals from the poor to give to his potion habit. He shoots another one, jumps down a well and sees a giant skeleton. His Merry Men are understandably concerned with his addiction. Good speed in this section.

Daggerfall: A calm portion with little risk of combat, picking up the weapon that can fight the big bad skelly.

His Favorite Hobby: Guy is a bit less receptive to the corner strat but is eventually convinced to have his groin ventilated. Heirlooms are left in the woods to become the Master Sword.

If No One Lives Near You, You Can be the Best Swordsman Too!: Quick Forest run, quick corner trap on the Emerald Hermit. Ravenous Robin robs his house for more potions, Friar Tuck suggests an intervention.

The Magic Lake you Walked Past 20 times: The fish men hit each other too and their hitboxes eat arrows while hiding. So standing in the right spots makes this fight trivial. Robin finds both potions are made from the lake, and promptly drinks it all. Little John watches his friend come down from his high and holds him in the night as he trembles and shakes. He swears off the stuff.

Baron in the Village: To save the village, Robin immediately downs a potion while his men groan. The melee goes well, but the Baron is not high on potions and nearly kills Robin before he sees a vision of the lovely Maid Moron! His senses restored, he carves the Baron in twain! He also discovers if he doesn’t eat the bottle, he doesn’t get high off the potions any longer.

Celtic Pride: Left side held up good by Robin, but Blind Man Duncan dominates the right side of the field.

Gallows Humor: Good forest run, no dying on the “No Pressure but One Hit Kills” horse scene. Melee goes well!

Saddle Up: Robin first tries to ride Duncan to victory, but comes to his senses. Arrows like lasers end the melee. Bone Daddy gets wrecked, and Nottingham gets corner trapped.

Ending: Dat PG rated kissing scene.

I ACCEPT this run, but note about 30 seconds to a minute of improvement possible.
Now with 23% more reset!
Thanks for the humorous vefirication Smiley

As noted, there's still a lot to improve in this run, sadly there's little to no community to help out with this, but most of it has to do with menuing IMO. Every time you enter the menu it's a 5-10sec minimum lost on the time, so I really gotta figure out how to run this with minimal menuing, especially with potions.

Gisbourne skip is still hard as hell to get constantly, but since you get a speed potion from the chest afterwards, it kinda evens out on the timing. Still, it would've been nice to get it. Getting the speed potion before Little John is a little trivial for me, since getting it takes about 15sec, so I'm probably gonna scratch that in future runs.
SGL Scrublord
Last I checked the only person who was REEEEALLY into it was Svenne. He might have some more info or runners for you.
You did check the TAS didn't you? Maybe the TASer knows something about the skip.
http://tasvideos.org/1524S.html
Now with 23% more reset!
Yeah we've discussed the game a couple of times with Svenne. I need to get in contact with the TASer as well, if probably has a well of information I'm missing, especially with specific enemy spawns and whatnot.
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A / V : Good , Aside from the pauses by the game itself. Which I believe Slyse is correct when saying that it is caused by spawning (Due to the fact it seems to only happen in areas with monsters) it does seem to be a viable explanation and not caused by Slyse himself.

Cheating : None detected

Gameplay : Very good from what I can see, some manoeuvring is VERY tight and I'm kind of shocked there were not a few MORE bumps along the way, Sword fights / bosses seemed to go pretty well, no real complaints.

ACCEPT 
Decision posted.