--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/RedFaction.html

Red Faction (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Segmented] [Impossible]

Verifier Responses

Quote from Elgu:
Good Audio/Visual -wise. Good execution and all as well.
Accept

Quote from LotBlind:
time: 59:17 minus 00:02 = 59:15.

A/V good
cheating: inconsistencies were explained.

Curious as to why the runner looks down every time they jump and especially every time they land. Doesn't affect time. Otherwise I feel the run isn't THE tightest in terms of sheer movement optimization (I thought ramp boosting was missing from places and the runner is jumping or not jumping pretty haphazardly) but judging by the "roundtable" and written comments more than enough justification exists for 144 segments otherwise. Maybe scripted Half-Life runs are an unfair comparison Tongue

1:23 Doesn't really need to get this ammo.
9:09 No way to employ water boost here?
13:00 Missed some ramp boosting?
15:27 What's this little wiggle on the rail for?

accept

Quote:
Looked through this run, A/V good, no cheating that I can see.

Overall the run I think is OK, Maybe a few missed shots at close range, costing a second or two. I quite liked that shortcut up the hill, maybe with a bit more luck the runner might have shaved 10-15 seconds of false jumps in there. I think for this one is an accept. A good starting point, hope the runner comes back to improve it.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Zach 'Duane Jones' R!
Thread title:  
Not a walrus
Something to note is that this run has been done on an unofficial patch, but it seems to only be stability fixes for running on modern systems. If there's any reason to think it affects the gameplay significantly, we'll have to reject this.
Currently occupying the grey area.
I played without the patch, and the sub dropping into the water kept crashing my game. something about the computer running too fast. had to god mode through the water section Wink wish id known about the patch then. side note, tried Red Faction 2, crashes before the start menu :/
Woo hoo!  Thanks guys.  Let me address some of the questions brought up:

Quote from LotBlind:
time: 59:17 minus 00:02 = 59:15.

A/V good
cheating: inconsistencies were explained.

Curious as to why the runner looks down every time they jump and especially every time they land. Doesn't affect time. Otherwise I feel the run isn't THE tightest in terms of sheer movement optimization (I thought ramp boosting was missing from places and the runner is jumping or not jumping pretty haphazardly) but judging by the "roundtable" and written comments more than enough justification exists for 144 segments otherwise. Maybe scripted Half-Life runs are an unfair comparison Tongue

1:23 Doesn't really need to get this ammo.
9:09 No way to employ water boost here?
13:00 Missed some ramp boosting?
15:27 What's this little wiggle on the rail for?

accept

I look at the ground a lot when I jump and land because, in my head, it kinda feels like I'm flinging the character.  I look at the ground a lot when I'm landing just to make sure I'm landing where I want.  I guess it does look at little funny.

I should've been more consistent with jumping on inclined surfaces.  That and movement optimization could've been tighter for sure, but since the combat is so difficult and rng based, those two things did get a little less attention than they could have.

1:23 -- You're actually pretty correct.  I go out of the way for a second there to get armor actually, not ammo, but it does look like I could skip that.

9:09 --  To get a good water boost there would require taking too much damage and the player's speed after the boost falls off pretty quickly.  It's faster just to swim over to the wall and start jumping up it. 

13:00 -- Yeah, totally missed a little bit of jumping there.

15:27 -- Th e wiggle on the rail is to keep out of range of triggering the nearby guard on the floor below.  And also to bump off that pillar a little bit, which changes my velocity and prevents me from taking fall damage.

Quote:
Looked through this run, A/V good, no cheating that I can see.

Overall the run I think is OK, Maybe a few missed shots at close range, costing a second or two. I quite liked that shortcut up the hill, maybe with a bit more luck the runner might have shaved 10-15 seconds of false jumps in there. I think for this one is an accept. A good starting point, hope the runner comes back to improve it.

[/quote]

That tunnel skip was brutal.  As sloppy as it looks there, though, that's the fastest I could get it done out of hundreds of attempts over weeks.  The random nature of the shape of the holes created by explosions and being limited by how many rockets/grenades I have, make that part ridiculous.  I'd say about 50% of the time, the tunnel isn't even clime-able or doesn't make it all the way to the top of that hill. 

Could that part be done faster?  Absolutely yes.

In the course of doing the run myself and others found a large number of new, significant skips and techniques, got a final time well below the easy difficulty segmented run here on SDA, and came relatively close to the times of current single segment easy runs where combat is a complete non issue.  I'd like to think it's more than just a good start and closer to a breakthrough and kinda sets the bar up a little higher for the game with the new tech that was found.  I hope to improve the time at some point, but I'll have to become even more of a masochist than I already am first.

Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Something to note is that this run has been done on an unofficial patch, but it seems to only be stability fixes for running on modern systems. If there's any reason to think it affects the gameplay significantly, we'll have to reject this.

Understood.  As far as I know the patch is entirely for stability issues and bug fixes/anti-cheat stuff for the multiplayer.  Which doesn't enter into this at all.

Quote from Ghoti:
I played without the patch, and the sub dropping into the water kept crashing my game. something about the computer running too fast. had to god mode through the water section Wink wish id known about the patch then. side note, tried Red Faction 2, crashes before the start menu :/

Yeah, I had the same problem with the sub exploding as well, which is what lead to me finding the pure faction patch that makes the game actually playable.  From what I've heard, there are several areas in the game that are totally busted and unplayable on modern machines without the patch. 

I haven't tried Red Faction 2 on PC yet, and probably won't if it's busted to the point it wont even start.

Anyway, thanks again dudes.  Let me pimp my commentary video here real quick

Next up do a run of Descent III and expansion, which don't have an SDA run yet and are really quite good. Because I've told you to.

You will get... a toy Yoda! Oh damn that only works in spoken form...