List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-06-16 10:59:56 pm
Manocheese: 2017-06-14 10:15:26 pm
Manocheese: 2017-06-02 10:57:22 pm
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
I found some nice timesavers. I also found a very cool (but useless) trick in the Echoing Caves.

EDIT: A useless trick in Sanctuary of Stone and Fire:

EDIT2: I came close to finding a good timesaver in the Echoing Caves, but it was not to be. I thought that if you could avoid the green lum in the area with the propellor platforms, you could death warp after getting the lums and go straight back to the beginning of the level, saving time. I found that if you look away from the green lum and walk backwards, you can get much closer to it without collecting it, so you can get the lums in the room. Unfortunately, there's an invisible checkpoint in the area that seems impossible to avoid. Even if you avoid the green lum, you will still respawn in the same area. =(
Manocheese, I was trying the same with swimming clip and yes - there is an invisible checkpoint...
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-06-24 11:41:34 pm
Huge progress today! I had a great run attempt. Pretty much all the tricks went perfectly and there were no unintentional deaths. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake in Sanctuary of Rock and Lava. In the spinning platform room, I looked at the lums from the cage to make them come toward me, but only two out of three came. I didn't notice I was missing a lum until I finished the level and the total said 49/50. However, I kept going just to see what time I would get. The final time:

2:29:58

A great milestone for the 999-lum category. =P Now, I just have to do the same thing without missing any lums. The run probably had 45+ seconds of mistakes, so with a cleaner run and the Water and Ice door clip, even sub-2:29 would be possible. I don't think I'll try for that, though.
Edit history:
Darnok_PL: 2017-06-25 09:07:23 am
Darnok_PL: 2017-06-25 07:59:11 am
It is to say: "The game tells you to go f*ck yourself". Cry Thats why I usually do that section 1-2s slower to make sure that I got all those lums.
Grats on time, I wish I was able to do runs with 0 unintentional deaths (my minimum (in any%) was 1 up to now)...
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-08-05 05:23:37 pm
I found a way to skip the miniboss fight in the Precipice:

I don't think this would save time, though.

EDIT: Looks like ThatGermanGuitarDude already found this trick:

Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-08-19 10:12:38 pm
Manocheese: 2017-08-19 10:12:21 pm
I did a 2:30:43 just now. The time was surprisingly low given that I had six deaths totalling about 90-100 seconds of time loss. Outside of the deaths, I'd say the run was perhaps a little cleaner than my 2:29:58 999-lum run. In any case, sub-2:30 is definitely within reach. Sub-2:29 is still tough, but possible.
You should easily get it soon. GL
I don't know, when I improve my PB - no willingness for now...
Not much progress lately, though I did do a 2:30:35 (8 seconds faster than my previous best). Here's a video of some useless tricks:

Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-10-30 05:19:39 pm
Manocheese: 2017-10-15 04:23:25 pm
Manocheese: 2017-10-15 04:23:14 pm
2:30:23

This could've been the one... But I had a pair of ugly deaths in the Jano fight, costing me 50 seconds. Aside from that, there was a 15-second death in Sanctuary of Stone and Fire and a few other 10-second mistakes. I've been doing a lot of runs in the 2:30-2:31 range lately. Hopefully I can get this done pretty soon.

EDIT: 2:30:04. So close... Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

EDIT2: Just did my first ever deathless 100% run (not counting intentional deaths). Sadly, some of the tricks went really slowly, and the time was 2:31:09.
Hey Mano, are you still going for sub 2:30? Don't you want to change to any%?
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-11-29 09:55:16 pm
Yep, I'm still working on it. I've come very close a few times. I feel like I'll get it soon. After I'm done, I plan on taking a break and playing other games for a while, then coming back and doing any%.

EDIT: Ugh, just had one of the most painful failures ever. I was in the Iron Mountains, on pace for about 2:29:40. I was at the very end of the walking shell section, jumping to the exit. I made the jump to the first platform, then the walking shell exploded for no reason. Rayman 2 is a cruel mistress...
Yey, I am always stressed on shell section in Iron Moutain. On PC it is important not to hold 'jump' key when shell is about to jump to the exit - it can even result in softlock (on PC, no clue how about N64). Also boosting increases a chance to crash there (but you're probably not doing it).
Indeed, I've also noticed that boosting can make you crash there, so I don't boost.
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2017-12-03 11:01:38 pm
Quote from Manocheese:
Huge progress today! I had a great run attempt. Pretty much all the tricks went perfectly and there were no unintentional deaths. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake in Sanctuary of Rock and Lava. In the spinning platform room, I looked at the lums from the cage to make them come toward me, but only two out of three came. I didn't notice I was missing a lum until I finished the level and the total said 49/50. However, I kept going just to see what time I would get. The final time:

2:29:58

Quote from Manocheese:
2:30:04. So close... Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Quote from Manocheese:
Ugh, just had one of the most painful failures ever. I was in the Iron Mountains, on pace for about 2:29:40. I was at the very end of the walking shell section, jumping to the exit. I made the jump to the first platform, then the walking shell exploded for no reason. Rayman 2 is a cruel mistress...

Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up...

2:29:47... It's done!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wow, what a journey. I think I started working on this run in the middle of 2013--four and a half years ago. I haven't been working on it the whole time, but even when I wasn't working on it, it was always in my mind as my main gaming project. As I went longer and longer without getting a satisfactory run, I wondered if I would ever do it. There's so much that needs to go right--the airswims, the Canopy pirate and bush skips, the Iron Mountains walking shell section, the Prison Ship sliding section, and more. No matter how long you play this game, it always comes up with new ways to screw you, like the Iron Mountains mishap I described the other day. But whatever happened, I always reminded myself that the run I wanted to do was within my abilities. The game is unforgiving and my failures were painful, but in the end, it was all worth it.
Congratz, that was a long story but effort gives effects. I remember my troubles getting sub 2:30 in 100% and even worse hardcore going for first world sub 2 in any%. Now I can dream about sub 1:50 in any% - no clue, if it ever happens.

I believe you are going to share your vid soon, because I've not found a link.
Thanks. I plan on uploading the run later today. In the mean time, I put together a video of some amusing things that have happened to me:

Here's the run:

The Great Farming Empire
Holy crap dude. You are the Man...ocheese.

Seriously though, congrats! It's crazy to think that this category used to be a half-hour longer. Goes to show how much has changed.
It's safe to say this is the most impressive 100% run up to this point. Congrats ManoCheese!
Thanks, everyone.

The run is now up for verification:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/runs_needing_verifiers_14_new_runs_dec._10_2017.html
There is an in-game possibility to take screenshots with F8 game on PC. Taking a single screen makes a game pause for nearly half a second. However, it seems you can make some use of it while doing tricks:

(played on 60 fps, nGlide 1.05)

1. It seems spamming F8 lengthens range of bullets. You can use it to get pole skip way easier.
2. You can spam F8 to play in slowmotion, to make some movement more precise.
Nice find. Can this trick be used to make skipping the third rising platform in Tomb of the Ancients easier?
Well, skipping this platform requires getting a good jump with good damage boost. However, spamming F8 doesn't lenghten range of your jumps, so it doesn't help.
I've watched your 100% speedrun til the end, ManoCheese. This run should be accepted. You got my vote!

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/rayman_2_the_great_escape_available_for_verification__due_2018.01.302_3.html
Edit history:
Darnok_PL: 2018-02-13 08:56:54 am
I have found a timesaver in Top of the World 2 by simply going out of your way for short to activate platform cycle earlier.

Saves ~9s + 1 extra lum