List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-06-30 09:53:38 pm
Kitin: 2013-06-30 09:52:13 pm
*failed attempt to edit my previous post*
Quote from Kitin:
Edit: Just found a record demo feature, the commands are: demorecord, demostop and demoplay. When i write demorecord in the console it responds "Recording demos/demo00001.demo" but when i write demostop it doesen't say anything. When i write "demoplay demos/demo00001.demo" the game starts the loading screen of the particular area I recorded the demo in and then the game crashes. I suspect that I'm not using "demostop" correctly since the console doesen't respond anything and the .demo files end up 1kb. Anyone with knowledge about these stuff? Guess it's similar in quake 4, which i never got into.
In quake 4 demos were never accepted in SDA, there was some possibility of merging 2 demos into one or something similar which could have been theoretically abused, therefore only segments recorded by external tools were accepted.
I'm in the middle of watching your vid and it looks great, however, I might be wrong here, but isn't Crimson Elite suit a preorder object, if so, you shouldn't use it since it's impossible to legally obtain it anymore. If not, ignore me, this is looking so great that I'll ignore myself too.
Ok, finished watching it through and here's what I think, I'm going to separate this into good and bad sections, good coming first;
Good:
-Planning
-Execution of the plan
-Aiming and shooting generally
-Movement, just beatiful in a single segment, seriously, please consider again the segmented Smiley

Bad: (In alphabetical order)
-Nothing
Quote from BhaaL:
Quote from Kitin:
Edit: Just found a record demo feature, the commands are: demorecord, demostop and demoplay. When i write demorecord in the console it responds "Recording demos/demo00001.demo" but when i write demostop it doesen't say anything. When i write "demoplay demos/demo00001.demo" the game starts the loading screen of the particular area I recorded the demo in and then the game crashes. I suspect that I'm not using "demostop" correctly since the console doesen't respond anything and the .demo files end up 1kb. Anyone with knowledge about these stuff? Guess it's similar in quake 4, which i never got into.
In quake 4 demos were never accepted in SDA, there was some possibility of merging 2 demos into one or something similar which could have been theoretically abused, therefore only segments recorded by external tools were accepted.

Oh okey, it doesen't seem to work anyway.
Quote from BhaaL:
I'm in the middle of watching your vid and it looks great, however, I might be wrong here, but isn't Crimson Elite suit a preorder object, if so, you shouldn't use it since it's impossible to legally obtain it anymore. If not, ignore me, this is looking so great that I'll ignore myself too.

Yeah that's true, never thought about that. :/ Both Halfcoordinated and BWoods used it in their speedruns as well though, and you can obtain it legally: "As of February 15, 2012 the Anarchy Edition content is available for purchase on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 160 MSP and the Playstation Store for $1.99." I searchead it and there are still retailers here in Sweden that sells it for PC as well. Might not be optimal if someone decides to try and beat my time in like 10 years though so I'll probably not use it for the final runs I make. Thanks for bringing it up, would've missed it otherwise.
Quote from BhaaL:
Ok, finished watching it through and here's what I think, I'm going to separate this into good and bad sections, good coming first;
Good:
-Planning
-Execution of the plan
-Aiming and shooting generally
-Movement, just beatiful in a single segment, seriously, please consider again the segmented Smiley

Bad: (In alphabetical order)
-Nothing

Haha great, thanks! There are lots of misstakes though, the most embarrassing one being in the end where I lost about 6 seconds for not pushing the final button because my brain blacked out. Would've been sub 1:35:00 otherwise.

Consider the segmented? A segmented run WILL be done. Cheesy

---

Here's a better quality 1080p version:

Just shoved the raw 98.5gb .avi file in to VirtualDub so this is completely uncut with loading screens unfortunately.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-07-08 07:53:34 am
OOB skip that requires very consistent jumping:

This was done by using a script that just spams the jump button but i might find a way to do it SDA legitimate by using the scroll wheel. A good excuse to finally get a new mouse with "frictionless" mousewheel. Cheesy

This was done using the scroll wheel upside down draged across my desk so I'm sure its possible:
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-07-09 12:06:16 am
Now that is interesting, I can't imagine how you would discover something like that.
Out of curiosity, why are you committing suicide via grenade rather than cratering?
Quote from Endless:
Now that is interesting, I can't imagine how you would discover something like that.
Out of curiosity, why are you committing suicide via grenade rather than cratering?

Found the way to get OOB a while ago and posted a video about it on page 4 of this thread. I went back after I found out how the jumpclimb/wallclimb glitch works and it turned out to be jumpclimb heaven out there. Cheesy

Cratering kills you instantly, you don't get the chance to defib when you die that way. 
That's a Cool skip !
It doesen't save that much time unfortunately, about 20-30 sec i believe. Would really like to use it though since id tried so hard keeping stuff like this impossible by putting invisible walls everywhere. I have reason to believe that the majority of Jackal Canyon can be skipped as well. Lots of spots where you can clip through the map and fall down, hopefully I can make it so that I clip out and land just by the Ark. Smiley
Awesome run!
Quote from Sebastiaaaaan:
Awesome run!

Thanks Sebastian!

---

FUCK YEAH

Don't know how i could've missed this. The pulse cannon, grenades and dynamite bolts has a small knock back, hardly noticable with "default damage". The pulse cannon is by far the most powerfull so I tried it with the Authority Augmenter (increases damage) and it works really well, and the best thing about it is that you don't take damage from doing it with the pulse cannon. The stuff in the video was just things that spontaneously came to mind, probably lots of better ways to use it.
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-07-18 12:10:52 pm
Endless: 2013-07-18 12:10:39 pm
O BOY O BOY O BOY
The pulse cannon is obtained really late though; can other explosive weapons be used with the augmenter without gibbing yourself?
Also, what version of the game are you using? I'd like to start messing around with the game, although I doubt I'll be able to compete with a proper Quake vet like yourself.
Quote from Endless:
O BOY O BOY O BOY
The pulse cannon is obtained really late though; can other explosive weapons be used with the augmenter without gibbing yourself?
Also, what version of the game are you using? I'd like to start messing around with the game, although I doubt I'll be able to compete with a proper Quake vet like yourself.

They can, but the knockback is hardly noticable even with the augmenter. It's possible to reach descent height if you stack like 5 rc bomb cars on eachother and blow them up while using the augmenter, but this requires the adrenaline thingy that doubles health, upgraded armor might work as well.

I'm switching between the newest version and the release version, I run the game with the newest and use the old version to easier find skips and try things out since more of the cvars/commands are accesable in that version. Please do! Cheesy Lots of stuff could probably be found if more people messed around with this game. I'm no quake vet, started playing some defrag a couple of years ago to pass the time on boring classes. Cheesy You'll catch up with my mediocre skill in no time.
Ok, what the flying fuck

Can someone comfirm that it isn't just my game acting up somehow?
Edit history:
Endless: 2013-07-18 05:12:05 pm
Endless: 2013-07-18 05:12:04 pm
Endless: 2013-07-18 05:06:11 pm
Heh, "flying fuck," I see what you did there... but I don't understand what happened in the video at all. I'll be able to play the game in a little over two hours; if no one else has tried it by then, I'll see if it does it for me as well.
Did you do anything special to trigger that?
Also, what are some useful commands for testing that are only available in earlier versions?
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-07-18 08:03:22 pm
Kitin: 2013-07-18 05:24:06 pm
Quote from Endless:
Heh, "flying fuck," I see what you did there... but I don't understand what happened in the video at all. I'll be able to play the game in a little over two hours; if no one else has tried it by then, I'll see if it does it for me as well.
Did you do anything special to trigger that?
Also, what are some useful commands for testing that are only available in earlier versions?

I walked in to the laser fence and it launched me 45 degrees up in the air due to knockback that all fences have, the difference with this fence being that the knockback is really really strong so it launched me to the upper level. Skips a nice amount of time. Just confirmed it myself and it isn't my game acting up, that fence is special for some reason. Cheesy

Stuff like pm_jumpheight, g_permagodmode etc. It's great for trying out if stuff is possible before you try and do it legitimate. If I suspect that it's possible to make a ramp jump up somewhere I try it first with increased pm_jumpheight to see so there's no invisible walls and stuff there, if there is i won't have to bother trying to make the ramp jump. Write "listcvars [some search term, jump for example]" in the console to find different cvars that affect things in the game. When you want to adjust a value you write "cvaradd pm_jumpheight 100" if you wan't to add 100 to the jumpvalue for example. Everything resets once you restart so don't worry about remebering the default values.

Edit: Some commands i use sometimes to figure out how triggers work, check invisible walls, play around etc.
cvaradd g_stopTime 1 // freezes everything but the character can still move around
cvaradd pm_sprintspeed 450 // doubles sprintspeed
cvaradd pm_jumpheight 52 // doubles jumpheight
cvaradd g_permagodmode 1 // makes you immortal
cvaradd g_knockback 1000 // increases knockback from 50 to 1050
cvaradd pm_thirdperson 1 // thirdperson
bind K "cvaradd pm_thirdpersonrange 1" // increases the camera range in thirdperson by 1 for every time you click "K"
bind L "cvaradd pm_thirdpersonrange -1" // decreases the camera range in thirdperson by 1 for every time you click "L"
cvaradd pm_thirdpersonclip -1 // removes the clipping of the thirdperson camera

Edit history:
Endless: 2013-07-18 08:03:26 pm
Well then, that's a nice skip under your belt.
How are you changing between the two versions?
I should probably PM you these little questions, but I think they'd be useful if anyone else wants to get into speedrunning this game.
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-07-18 08:10:37 pm
Quote from Endless:
Well then, that's a nice skip under your belt.
How are you changing between the two versions?
I should probably PM you these little questions, but I think they'd be useful if anyone else wants to get into speedrunning this game.

I install the newest version of the game and then I just switch between the different .exe files in the game folder.

Edit: there's two commands in the new version than can be usefull if you don't want to switch between versions, "God" (same thing as godmode) and "noclip" (doesen't exist in the older version).
Kind thanks, and the executable alone determines version?
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-07-19 01:05:45 am
Kitin: 2013-07-19 01:05:23 am
Kitin: 2013-07-18 08:14:44 pm
Quote from Endless:
Kind thanks, and the executable alone determines version?

Yes I believe so, at least when it comes to accesable commands and cvars. If you make a save with the new .exe you can't load that up with the old .exe. The menu changes between the versions is there as well.

---

Edit:

Apperantly the bomb cars works to boost jumps as well, the authority augmenter doesen't even affect them so this means that more parts from earlier in the game might be breakable. This was done with the fabricator suit and without the Adrenaline Overdrive so health isn't a problem.
I'm on a roll:

I included the end for the lulz.
Stalker!
id say you are on a rampage through the game =)

very good, im looking forward to the final segmented run.

dont forget to the final video to id too. Cheesy
Edit history:
Kitin: 2013-07-20 01:55:26 am
Quote from cortez:
id say you are on a rampage through the game =)

very good, im looking forward to the final segmented run.

dont forget to the final video to id too. Cheesy

Thanks! Haha yeah, id/bethesda shared my "Rage DeFRaG" video on Rage's Official FB page, they might do the same with this one. Cheesy Will be a looong while before it's done though, I'll probably start studying at the university in a couple of weeks.

---

Two new skips in the authority prison:

Saves 20-30 sec combined, you really have to work hard for seconds in rage. Cheesy
Definitely material for a segmented speedrun, but it looks impressive as hell. Can you afford enough RC cars to do all this in a speedrun?