Rabi-Ribi () (pc) [Low %] [Single Segment] [Post-game Ending]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'triblast55'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Rabi-Ribi () (pc) [Low %] [Single Segment] [Post-game Ending]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/rabiribi-20170424/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
This is not the giant
Audio: Very good
Video: Good
Cheating: None

Gameplay: Good as it can be given the stupid tricks you need to do for 0% clear. The route looks solid with the exception of the money grind which I feel like could have been worked into the run better.

This category is silly

Accept
Nice. I always wanted to see someone speedrun this game this way but I thought it would never happen. I was surprised how well you did the last few areas. I've never tried speedrunning this game but I have played it for a few hundred hours & done a 0% run & it's crazy hard so I was impressed.

There were a lot of deaths but the post-game run I saw on Youtube had a similar amount of deaths too & it was any%.

Did you know you can use Cocoa bombs to hurt Irisu while she's in the background? It's a great way to skip some of her attacks but I've never seen anyone other than me do it.

I'd like an accept.
Decision posted.
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2018-10-09 01:11:31 pm
Thanks for the verification. I wasn't aware that Cocoa bombs can damage Irisu when she's back there. But I don't think it's feasible since Cocoa bombs are expensive, especially when money is scarce at the end
Tri: Could you help me with the categories a bit, for the game page? Could we go with simply "Main Game" and "Post Game" for those two categories? Also the rules on Speedrun.com say something about "use standard mode"... what does that mean? Is it the alternative to Speedrun mode? Speaking of which can you play Post Game without speedrun mode and if so would anyone ever do so? Can one run the game segmented or only SS across any of its play modes?

Is there any other things that can have varying % other than items?
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2018-10-09 01:11:38 pm
Standard mode is a setting that affects boss level aside from the difficulty selected. As far as I know, I have never seen anyone else using anything aside from Standard mode. It is not an alternative to speedrun mode.

Post game can be played without speedrun mode, but I think everyone uses speedrun mode. Its like its name says, for speedrunning. I think everyone else uses single-segment when speedrunning.

I don’t think there are any other % aside from items.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2017-07-07 01:04:55 pm
How about Main Game? Can it be run in speedrun mode and if so does everyone run it like that? If so, we should probably ban non-speedrun mode runs if it's the same thing but with cutscenes. What do you think?

You're saying no-one seems to do segmented runs, but does the game technically allow it?

Here's a summary of how I think this game should be categorized:
any%/100%/low%
SS or segmented (I assume it's possible so we'll allow it)
Main Game/Post Game
Casual/Impossible
Speedrun Mode only
Standard Mode only

Sometimes other difficulty options are allowed as well so that we may slide from. Otherwise do you agree with this or is something missing? BTW: Does switching away from Standard Mode make the bosses easier or tougher? If it's tougher, we could allow using the toughest setting for that for impossible difficulty runs, but I doubt anyone wants to see a run that's just a little different around the boss fights but otherwise the same so if it doesn't change it in any interesting way, I'm all for dropping that option completely.
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2018-10-09 01:11:17 pm
Yeah, there are other people who run Main game. It’s also in speedrun mode.

Yes, the game does allow segmented runs.

So far, that looks fine. However, Impossible mode is a DLC difficulty. I only have the base game, which the highest difficulty is Bunny Extinction.

Switching away from Standard mode can make the bosses easier or tougher, depending on which one is used. Tbh, standard mode should be used since it prevents too many categories being made.
Okay, seeing as Impossible is DLC, we never enforce buying DLC, thus the second highest setting has to be accepted as well. And Standard mode it is.

Thanks for the advice!
One more question: Does it actually affect your final time in any way if you don't choose Speedrun Mode? In case someone should specifically want to show off the cutscenes, because we're going in-game timing with this (I'm assuming it's accurate), I don't suppose it really makes a difference. Are there other differences at all that you know of?
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2018-10-09 01:11:22 pm
It doesn't appear to affect the in-game time, but it does affect the real time timer.
Okay, then there's no real reason to ban it per se. Good.