Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/QuestForGlory.html

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (EGA) () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]
Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (EGA) () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Fighter]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (EGA) () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Fighter]
Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (EGA) () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/QuestForGlory-20151016/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
What's that gemma?
I'm much less familiar with this EGA version than the VGA one for this game.  This game uses text interpreting rather than a point-and-click interface like the VGA one.

A/V: The music stutters in some areas, with a pop in between each stutter.  I believe this is just what happens to the game when being played at the maximum game speed.  The video is solid.

In general, the movement speed is too fast for a human to be expected not to bump into things.  There are probably seconds to be saved over the course of the run by moving the cursor to the right spot for the next screen while walking with the keyboard on the current one so that you can go to the optimal place after the screen transition.  I do wonder why the trip though Spielburg is made with right angles rather than diagonal walking, though.

RNG is spectacular.  Unlike the VGA version of this game, if an enemy shows up in your path, there is no opportunity to react before it attacks you, and much less options for juking it after fleeing the fight, plus the encounter rate seems to just be higher.  That no enemies interrupted him in either run shows dedication.

Both runs have some typing trouble during Yorick's fun house, the fighter one more so than the thief.  Otherwise, the text parser is handled well.

Overall, these are both solid runs that would require a lot of work to defeat.  ACCEPT is my vote.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-10-22 12:09:28 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-10-22 12:07:41 pm
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Thanks for the review and vote, Crow!  Always appreciate the input.

Quote:
I do wonder why the trip though Spielburg is made with right angles rather than diagonal walking, though.

Part of the reason you already mentioned, and it is the biggest reason: game speed.  But also, diagonal walking isn't always "diagonal".  Right angles are (literally) straight forward when handling, but the diagonals work more like 30 degrees in many cases rather than 45 degrees... and then you miss the door or exit, and have to back up, and then move, and time is wasted.  I experimented quite a bit with collisions trying to maneuver fast and consistent.  There is almost always a way to make it happen with 90 degree angles at this speed, and in those places where it doesn't, you'll see me use the mouse.  It also seems to be different based on how you are facing before you move as to what angle you are getting.

I know this game is playable without the mouse, but I cannot see how anyone could handle Yorick's room with just a keyboard.  That seems impossible on any speed, but at max speed, it is definitely too fast.

Quote:
RNG is spectacular.  Unlike the VGA version of this game, if an enemy shows up in your path, there is no opportunity to react before it attacks you, and much less options for juking it after fleeing the fight, plus the encounter rate seems to just be higher.  That no enemies interrupted him in either run shows dedication.

This is actually far more technical than I original thought.  In the VGA, north/south is safer.  In the EGA, it's south/east/west usually.  North is very dangerous but unavoidable.  You are absolutely right about the higher encounter rate.  It's brutal.  Juking, like you mentioned, is pretty much impossible at this game speed.  Escaping, if you automatically run east/west is usually safe, but if you are escaping north, forget it.  The characters escape north at 90 degree angles when the northern exits are just slightly skewed to the right or left.  This route pretty much mirrors my VGA run, and just like in that run, there are certain areas that RNG encounters (goblin camp or where the white deer normally would be) don't happen.  I use those places as safety zones, because it also seems as thought this makes encounters less likely on the next screen.  Not always, but more frequent.

Quote:
Both runs have some typing trouble during Yorick's fun house, the fighter one more so than the thief.

Especially at the beginning of parsing.  It's frustrating when I begin to type (and I type pretty fast professionally, 90+wpm) and I realize that first letter didn't type.  That has ended probably the majority of my runs.
The runner says he's never run into a troll on SDA forums.

reject

Okay, okay. The typing has gotten faster since Quest 2 submission I feel. Maybe someone with snappy mouse skills could do the movement even faster than keyboard but I imagine getting stuck in walls is more than frequent with that.

accept both
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-11-01 10:43:59 am
LOL, more specifically, when I'm asking for technical help, I don't run into trolls.  Wink  Thanks, LotBlind.  You should check out the out the other QFG1EGA run in verification, though.  It's major-skips, and will only take up 2:10 or so of your time to verify.  Wink
A/V: looks really old and pixelated good
cheating: no
seems fairly simple. point and click and type fast. do stuff to get to the end. only small mistakes are almost mistyping words, like in Thief run at 1:20 almost typed 'floor' instead of 'flowers' huehuehue.
Accept both runs.
A/V: Good, even though the game sound is pretty terrible.

Gameplay: The routes look well though out, but I can't really comment much on them in a game like this. As has been mentioned, there are a couple of execution mistakes in both runs. The typing in the game seems a bit awkward and the errors are explained in the comments. It's pretty obvious that playing at max speed makes it impossible to move the character properly. Most movement mistakes are small, but there are some that look to be over a second as well. Both runs look good in my eyes (and that's without knowing anything about the rng, which was apparently excellent in both runs).

2x Accept
Decision posted.
Thanks to all the reviewers.  Smiley