--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/QuestForGlory.html

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero () (pc) [Low %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero () (pc) [Low %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/questforglory1-20150324/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by June 23, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V: good
Cheating: None
Game-play: Good, runner knows what he is doing clearly, and the hero achieves the task of throwing a knife at inanimate objects to be rewarded with the phrase "So you've become a hero". nice work!

accept
What's that gemma?
A/V is good, no cheating.  I also speedrun this game.

Low% is not an accurate description of this run.  There are ways to get your score even lower than this (either by doing actions which reduce your score, or by doing even fewer actions which generate score than what he does here).  "With large skip glitches" is probably accurate, as this run circumvents the primary quest of the game (assembling and using the Dispel potion).  A case could also be made for saying this is just the normal "any%" category, and I'm on the fence there.

Category definitions aside, the run is stellar.  There's about 2 seconds lost to early menu pulls in Fred's cave, and that's it as far as execution errors.

Accept the run, but there's going to have to be some decisions by the mods regarding what to call the category.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-11 09:18:24 pm
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Agree with Crow! entirely on the definition of Low%. Even when I was writing my comments for this I wasn't entirely happy with it.  Whatever the community or verifiers want this categorized as is fine by me, but I would be disappointed with this replacing Any%. See my comments for why I believe this should be a different category.
Re categories, this run will be labeled as "with large skips" (or similar wording).

mrprmiller, I can also see that you have improved the time of this run since it was submitted. If you'd like to submit the improvement right away, we can keep this topic open a bit longer.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-12 12:45:19 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-12 12:35:26 pm
Give me until Saturday evening and I will. The new time is almost 15 seconds faster; way to be up to speed ktwo. Cheesy I'm on vacation and don't get back to my hard drive until then.
No problem, I think we can wait that long. :-)
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-14 08:59:58 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-13 12:56:14 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-13 12:54:45 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-13 12:52:51 pm
New run is uploaded under the series named QFG1VGA_THIEFLOW2.  (I accidentally uploaded the files to Verification first, rather than Final Encode.  Please ignore/delete the Verification files.)

The route is pretty much the same, save a few details:
1. The run uses a more aggressive route which I opted out of in the previous run, and grinds out a perfect encounter RNG for East and West.
2.  Better understanding of the Brigand's Cafeteria to make the brigands appear at the door faster.

Technically speaking, there is a major difference, however.  This uses Roland MT-32 sound emulation, which was the original soundtrack intended by the creators of the game.  There is an interview online where Cory and Lori Cole discuss that Roland is the real way to hear the game.  Play the two side by side and you will see what I mean.

The emulation of Roland MT-32 may need to be discussed, because while the game is played in DOSBox GOG.com released settings, the sound driver (which is separate from DOSBox) is being emulated.  It does not affect the actual DOSBox configuration file in any technical respect as far as framerate/cycles/etc.; the only change is a pointer to the correct hardware profile (which is technically not hardware at all but emulated) to get the Roland MT-32 sound playing through the speakers. 

I believe Crow! and I discussed this a little before, but it wasn't a live issue for my submitted runs at the time because they were only using the Soundblaster drivers; I did not even realize Roland MT-32 emulation was available.  Of course, I will bow to the community, as always.  Cheesy
Just a quick post to say that the video link above has been updated with the new files. So the verification technically starts over.
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
RE-Verification

A/V : Good
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Better understanding of events and riskier strats make a faster result Tongue

Accept

Note: As for the sound emulation thing I see it as a-kin to using different graphics options for running any PC game, so long as the DOSbox settings such as frame rate and cycles have not been altered (which they haven't) I'm fine with it.
I don't know the puzzle solutions of this game, so I can't comment on those. However, the execution is close to flawless from what I can see and the run is an improvement of a run that already got good feedback.

Accept
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-15 12:34:44 pm
Great to hear, and I appreciate everything.  Cheesy
Decision posted.
Excited to hear it.  This glitch was exciting as hell for me when I found it by sheer accident.  Usually my kids don't sit on my lap at the computer, so the fact that my youngest was sitting with me at that exact moment was pretty providential.  I saw at and had one of those great sequence-break moments: "What just happened, and can I make it happen again?"

To take the game from just over 9-minutes, which is considered fast, all the way down to 4 minutes was unexpected.  Thanks for all the verifiers and their help.  Cheesy