Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Fighter]
Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Magic-User]
Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]

Verifier Responses

Quote from gammadragon:
Audio and video good. There are a couple of graphical glitches through the game but I can confirm that happen regularly in the game and are not a result of the video encoding.

No cheating detected in any of the individual runs. The default DOSBox settings were modified in order to prevent a crash at a specific point in the game, which would normally make a single-segment run impossible with the default settings. It seems well justified in this case but an official ruling will need to be made on that.

There are a small amount of interface errors, but it's expected in this type of Sierra game - they weren't designed for speedrunning! Quality of play is generally very good and the routes have been carefully planned.

Fighter: I particularly like the synergy of strategies in this run - using throwing skill to kill the bear, which raises it high enough to knock the nest to grab the ring, which then raises it high enough so that the throw to knock the spiria seed works first time. This is all done while keeping the agility skill low enough to allow the fast fairy dance. It's also funny that the only specifically fighter-related strategy that takes place in this run is the horrendous act of killing the shackled bear with a sword Smiley

Calculated time: first control at 0:30 and last control at 10:36, total time 10m 06s

Magic-User: Route seems sound and as described in the run notes, it uses fairly exact timing in terms of resting and has some good RNG for the fetch spell to work first time. Not much to say that hasn't been said in the run comments.

Calculated time: first control at 0:29 and last control at 10:50, total time 10m 31s

Thief: Very well executed - it feels like there are less small errors in this run and the route is simpler due to the advantage of the thief's starting skills.

Calculated time: first control at 0:28 and last control at 09:36, total time 9m 08s

Accept all

Decision: Accept

Reason: Accepting Magic-User and Thief, but rejecting Fighter per another verifier's response (see below).

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
One verifier's response wouldn't show up in the post above, but here's what they said:

Quote:
A/V is good, no cheating.

-----

Thief: A solid improvement of the recently accepted run.  It features better execution and better understanding of how the game works.  Easy accept.

-----

Fighter: A clever route in principle, and good execution.  Unfortunately, it loses a massive amount of time completing the lost ring quest to acquire 2 health potions and 2 vigor potions, and some more time actually drinking them later on.

There is no such thing as negative health or stamina, and unlike future games in the series, spending stamina while at zero stamina does not cost health.  Also, you're allowed to rest in the Bear room of the Kobold's cave.  He should therefore purchase 2 flasks like the thief run and do his first 30 minute rest right in front of the Bear's face moments before pulling out his sword to deal the final blow.

For a minor improvement, the points in vitality should be points in something else (probably strength).  Vitality accomplishes nothing here.

I'd reject this run.  Unlike the other two classes which involve a hard RNG grind, getting new runs of this route is pretty easy, so that about 25 seconds of routing errors is a big deal.

-----

Magic User: He understands that buying multiple potions too quickly can lead some of the potions to not be given, but he's delaying a lot longer than needed.  About a 5 second loss to this, but it's not that big a deal.  He also lost a couple seconds getting his character stuck in Yorick's room.

The route is clever, and the run is well executed overall.  Accept.

-----

My understanding of SDA timing rules is that timing starts when you gain control of the character (which is right when he goes to the options menu to increase game speed) and ends when you lose control.

"When you lose control" is not quite clear in this game; the last important input is when you walk to the door after dispelling Elsa, but you're still allowed to use the Look command in the congratulatory screen until the cursor becomes a dragon (at which point Yorick starts cartwheeling in).  The times I give below assume that the ending point is when the final Dragon cursor appears.

Thief: 9:34
Fighter: 10:28
Magic User: 10:44
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
I'll take the 2/3 victory.  Cheesy  Thanks to all the verifiers.  Will be posting specific replies shortly.  Cheesy
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-06 09:15:35 pm
Wish I knew who this verifier was:
Quote:
A clever route in principle, and good execution.  Unfortunately, it loses a massive amount of time completing the lost ring quest to acquire 2 health potions and 2 vigor potions, and some more time actually drinking them later on.

There is no such thing as negative health or stamina, and unlike future games in the series, spending stamina while at zero stamina does not cost health.  Also, you're allowed to rest in the Bear room of the Kobold's cave.  He should therefore purchase 2 flasks like the thief run and do his first 30 minute rest right in front of the Bear's face moments before pulling out his sword to deal the final blow.

It's been about three months since these runs were done, and already I am a little fuzzy on the details.  What you are saying sounds totally valid, and would probably work out well.  The only thing that could hiccup the system is having the game tell you, "You're too impatient to rest..." because of the closer proximity of rests in that change.  Also, if you need to stab more than a few times to actually hit the bear because of the lower Weapon Skill, that will automatically kill your character when you reach Stamina=0 in battle.  If that's the only risk, though, I'll take it, and if it works, it should cut off at least a minute if not a bit more.  The Fighter might end up being faster somehow.  Cheesy Cheesy  I'll have to try this when a get a few free hours.  That would drop the time pretty nicely.  I was pretty much working blind, though, because no one really had come up with a Fighter strat before.  Cheesy  When I first started it, I thought the Fighter would be the longest run.  Surprise.
Quote:
He understands that buying multiple potions too quickly can lead some of the potions to not be given, but he's delaying a lot longer than needed.  About a 5 second loss to this, but it's not that big a deal.  He also lost a couple seconds getting his character stuck in Yorick's room.

Yup, and I'll never grind this run again.  LOL; what a nightmare!  I haven't touched the Magic-User route since I stopped the recording of this one.  FAR too many things can go wrong that you cannot control or measure, and don't know about until it is too late and requires a restart.
Quote:
"When you lose control" is not quite clear in this game;

Fair assessment, but I looked at it as, "I can't die anymore, no matter what happens."  Even if I walk away from the keyboard, the game ends in victory.  Plus, the screen at the top proclaims me a hero.  Cheesy

I want to thank you, though for your awesome suggestions and thoughts, Mystery Verifier.  Cheesy
Thanks for your help on so much, gammadragon.  QFG2 especially, but here as well:
Quote:
Route seems sound and as described in the run notes, it uses fairly exact timing in terms of resting and has some good RNG for the fetch spell to work first time. Not much to say that hasn't been said in the run comments.

May God have mercy on the poor soul that tries to grind this route out to save time.
Quote:
I particularly like the synergy of strategies in this run - using throwing skill to kill the bear, which raises it high enough to knock the nest to grab the ring, which then raises it high enough so that the throw to knock the spiria seed works first time. This is all done while keeping the agility skill low enough to allow the fast fairy dance. It's also funny that the only specifically fighter-related strategy that takes place in this run is the horrendous act of killing the shackled bear with a sword

The Fighter was such a pain, because none of his stats line up to save the bear in anyway easy.  Get Stealth, and you still have to grind out Throwing.  Get Climbing to get the Spirea Seed, and then you cannot have Stealth or Magic.  Once my wife suggesting killing the bear, it opened up a pretty neat little situation.

I'm a little disappointed the Fighter run is being rejected, partly because it is a very fast time when compared to the Thief and Mage and moreover because it is VERY different from the Thief or Mage.  I love when the Score counter goes negative.  That being said, I totally agree with why and am interested to see how much time that newer strat would save.
What's that gemma?
If your stamina is below 50%, you are never too impatient to rest, so that is likely not to become an issue if you kill the bear.
Tested the heck out of the Fighter change and found it is (unsurprisingly) very, very doable.  So much so that I spent a few hours this morning grinding out the run.

I will be submitting a new Fighter run clocking in at about 9:25 shortly that uses the new route.