Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]
Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Wizard]
Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Fighter]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Fighter]
Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Wizard]
Quest for Glory III: Wages of War () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/questforglory3-20150305/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by June 16, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
I'll do this one.
What's that gemma?
I'm pretty familiar with this game, though I've never speedrun it.  I'll pitch in, too.
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with this game, though I've never speedrun it.  I'll pitch in, too.

To put it simply, this is nowhere near the RNG difficulty of QFG1.  hehehe
Background: I've done speedruns of all the QFG games, and am the moderator of the QFG pages on Speedrun.com.

AV Quality: Excellent.
Verified no cheating.
DOSBox settings are legit.
Routes and execution are great.
Text notes are detailed and note all aspects of the runs.

ACCEPT for all three runs.
I don't think there's a problem with what the runner did to make the game more stable and apparently it was already discussed.

The hippy? C'mon!

Wizard %:
AV and everything checks out. Can't judge RNG so let's say it was good enough Cheesy

accept

Thief %
Also looks okay for execution.

Warrior %
Also okay.

Accept

PS puri_puri: you're right the notes are really good and help to see the planning and testing but they're not required for SDA (in case you weren't sure).
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V: Good
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Looks good I've played the game but wasn't familiar with the speedrun of it, any questions I had were cleared up by the comments so that was nice :3

Accept, Accept, Accept
Edit history:
Crow!: 2015-06-08 11:32:23 pm
What's that gemma?
I agree with the DosBox settings.  No cheating, A/V is good.

I've played this game casually many times.

In general:

The game hanging in the World Tree climb is a matter of the game's pathing algorithm getting confused by the twisting and forking path.  If you move in shorter segments, you can avoid that hang.  With perfect execution you can probably save a second here.

I think his handling of fleeing from battles could be  improved.  Most enemies have one direction where they can be immediately identified if they are approaching from there, so if you don't see them from that angle you can just go that way immediately.

Also, the way he flees from battles seems to suggest he thinks that e.g. running left will move you left on the world map; I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but it doesn't really cost time either.

Fighter:

The Running Death Dinosaur fight and the Dumb Demon fight were painful to watch.  I have to imagine it would be better to take more Weapon Use, and make up the lost Throwing skill by practicing somewhere (probably with rocks in the savannah, possibly at the spear range).

He waited to determine which of 4 directions the Demon Worm was coming from, but he waited longer than it would have taken to run from the fight.

Anyway, the rest of the run is well done.  Accept.

Wizard:

I'm not particularly impressed with his execution in the initial stay in Tarna, there was some akwardness around Johari, and he seemed not to know when he would be allowed to cast his next spell in the leopardman duel.  The orchid RNG was quite good, however, and that's a big part of this run.

Sitting around for several seconds to determine that the Demon Worm must be coming from the south, and still getting the encounter anyway, is embarassing.  Simply guessing a random direction would always be better than this strategy, even in the 25% case where the guess is wrong.

I'll go ahead and give an accept to this run, but I don't feel as good about it as the other two.

Thief:

I can't find anything to complain about here.  Accept.
Decision posted.
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Want to thank all of the verifiers for their work, and address comments too.  Smiley  You guys are fantastic, and have sped up the game in the past.
Quote:
The game hanging in the World Tree climb is a matter of the game's pathing algorithm getting confused by the twisting and forking path.  If you move in shorter segments, you can avoid that hang.  With perfect execution you can probably save a second here.

That was my suspicion too.  The lag seems to exist on anything off of the bottom level.  By the time I manage to work my way far enough up the tree to eliminate any lag, I may as well have just waited through it.
Quote:
I think his handling of fleeing from battles could be  improved.  Most enemies have one direction where they can be immediately identified if they are approaching from there, so if you don't see them from that angle you can just go that way immediately.  Also, the way he flees from battles seems to suggest he thinks that e.g. running left will move you left on the world map; I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but it doesn't really cost time either.

Yeah, I agree about the battles.  Since submitting these months ago, I've found that moving diagonally right from the start avoids pretty much every battle (rarely you might have an ant that catches you at a weird angle).  And you are right about the fleeing as well, it is more instinct.  There's negligible time loss at all, because you always have an extra click to show you the time of day when you exit battle and in that time you can always get the mouse back to where you need to go anyway.  I think it could look prettier, though.
Quote:
The Running Death Dinosaur fight and the Dumb Demon fight were painful to watch.  I have to imagine it would be better to take more Weapon Use, and make up the lost Throwing skill by practicing somewhere (probably with rocks in the savannah, possibly at the spear range).

I have submitted an updated run with these strats already.  It did save time, but I was surprised at how little time it did save.  It does, however, have a lot to do with RNG encounters, which stack up and eat up a lot of time if you get a bad draw.  Gaining Throwing skill was lightning fast in the savannah.  I can go from 100 to 150 in about a little less than a minute throwing rocks because of the speed of the animation.  The fights in my run that I am submitting are just much, much smoother looking.  Those battles in these accepted runs are pretty much the sore spot of this entire QFG3 speedrun series, in my opinion.
Quote:
The orchid RNG was quite good, however, and that's a big part of this run.

I did not realize how difficult that RNG would be, and it is a little excessive, to put it lightly.  I will probably grind this one out for an improvement at some point soon.
Quote:
Sitting around for several seconds to determine that the Demon Worm must be coming from the south, and still getting the encounter anyway, is embarassing.

Utterly annoying when you take the time to look for it, only to realize it when the encounter starts that it never actually appeared on the screen.  I handle these encounters differently now, but when you get that orchid RNG you just want the pain to stop.  Cheesy
Quote:
I'll go ahead and give an accept to this run, but I don't feel as good about it as the other two.

I appreciate it, but anytime you tell me that, you are basically telling me, "Go back and make it better."  Cheesy  Challenge accepted.
Quote:
I can't find anything to complain about here.  Accept.

The thief route is the most stable, by far, and unless a sequence break is found (I am playing with one break, but haven't found a good use for it yet) none of the other classes will ever have a time that comes remotely close to it.  It becomes an RNG grind in the world map, really.