Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Character: Thief]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/questforglory2-20150303/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by June 16, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
I just finished watching the run for my second time - the first time was when it was posted in the game's thread, and although I didn't comment on it then, I will now.    NOTE: I haven't played this game in over 10 years, but I do remember it fairly well, because I used to play this series a lot as a kid.

The audio and video were perfectly fine to me, and I see no obvious signs of cheating or splicing.  The music doesn't skip, the cursor doesn't randomly change positions, or anything like that.  It looks, to me, to be 100% genuine.  Since this is a run done on DOSBox, I am curious about the settings.  Do you know what the CPU cycles and frameskip were set to?  These settings are important to ensure that any future runs done by a different runner don't gain any advantages/disadvantages due to slightly faster or slower emulator settings. 

As for the run itself, the route seems solid.  It's mentioned in the comments that a slightly faster but more RNG-dependent route is available (throwing dirt at the wind elemental instead of levitating and dropping the dirt), and that the Earth elemental can possible appear a little bit sooner, but I can't blame you for not wanting to grind out tons of runs for a minuscule time improvement.  There were a few typos when typing in commands, maybe totaling up to 10 to 20 seconds lost if I had to guess, but besides that, it looks good.  It's a shame that you have to stand around waiting in Raseir for almost half the total duration of the run, but it looks like you've tried everything to get around that, to no avail. 

As long as the DOSBox config is included (I assume this is a requirement for DOSBox-emulated runs anyway?), I say to ACCEPT this run.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-02 07:13:48 pm
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Quote:
Since this is a run done on DOSBox, I am curious about the settings.  Do you know what the CPU cycles and frameskip were set to?

I did mention they were the GOG.com default release settings in my comments file, but when I double-checked you are right, I didn't specifically mention the cycles details.  Cycles were 10,000 (GOG default).  To be honest, I didn't even know frameskip was an option; they were GOG.com defaults as well, therefore.  And of course, the DOSBox config is available.  Cheesy
Background: I've done speedruns of all the QFG games, and am the moderator of the QFG pages on Speedrun.com.

AV Quality: Excellent.
Verified no cheating.
DOSBox settings are legit.
Route and execution are great.
Text notes are detailed and note all aspects of the run.

ACCEPT.
What's that gemma?
A/V is good.  No cheating.  Dosbox settings seem correct.

Most of the routing execution are excellent.

The one execution complaint I must make is that typing had some issues throughout the run - correcting misspellings, or realizing that the wrong verb was used, cost a second or two each time, which adds up.

I've not worked out if this actually pays off, but I suspect that burning your stamina somehow during the Raseir waits so you can use the Rest command might save some time.  On the first day, you could get in a fight and spam dodge.  On the second day, you might be able to practice throwing or something (you can't exit the town after the Zayishah event, and IIRC, contrary to what his notes say, time spent before completing the Zayishah event is time wasted because the clock gets advanced to a particular point in time there).

(Also, I think Puri_Puri told me something about finding out in the last couple days that swirling the mouse around the screen advances time slightly faster, which would be a big deal in Rasier, but that's a non-obvious and super-recent find).

Anyway, the run is good in general and would take some serious work to beat.  Accept is my vote.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-06-05 08:13:17 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-05 08:07:54 pm
mrprmiller: 2015-06-05 08:07:21 pm
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Quote:
I've not worked out if this actually pays off, but I suspect that burning your stamina somehow during the Raseir waits so you can use the Rest command might save some time.  On the first day, you could get in a fight and spam dodge.  On the second day, you might be able to practice throwing or something (you can't exit the town after the Zayishah event, and IIRC, contrary to what his notes say, time spent before completing the Zayishah event is time wasted because the clock gets advanced to a particular point in time there).

Completely right on the time-advance on day two, although my tests seem like it advances by a particular amount; these notes are from a couple of months ago, unfortunately, and I have learned a few new tricks.  Also, it seems as if there is an advance after talking to Signor Ferrari on day one of Raseir.  However, none of any new tricks work in Raseir.  The rest command does not work at all in Raseir, even outdoors.  Also, you can't exit at all during day two, before or after the Zayisha event; I just tested it yesterday while looking for ways to advance time.  I also checked with the folks at the Quest for More Glory forums and they did not know of a way to advance time either there.

Also, screen transitioning seems to slow down the timer down slightly.  Funny that puri_puri mentions moving the mouse, because I've found that button mashing seems to cut the time... that, or that I am using Roland MT32 sound on my newer attempts.  For lack of a better way to put it, it seems as though making the game do something else while waiting makes time advance a little faster.  I'd love to find the memory address that affects time and watch it... But it is very difficult to find that memory address, and I'm not the best at searching.

That, or skip Raseir day two entirely, but we need that mirror.  I have made it to the Forbidden City without the mirror, but can't find a way into the city. 
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V : Good
Cheating : None
Gameplay: All looked good a few slips in typing some of the actions but all-in-all looks good, don't really have anything to add in addition to what has already been said by others.

Accept
Decision posted.