--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2010-03-12 09:43:09 am
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
6 ranks you say? Just gone through the route, and with everything I'm planning to do, I'll only need to grab 3 ranks, which is much more feasible :D. I'm not wanting to have to go into Gloria's mind to then go straight out, so I'll have to get those 3 ranks before I finish Edgar's mind.

It's looking very realistic for me, though I imagine it'll take a fair while till I'm done D:

Really looking forward to seeing your run fully dude :D, good luck with it

EDIT: Oh, and also, I've bought a mental magnet in my run. Not totally necessary, but it's actually REALLY useful when you're fighting the monster in Boyd's mind, since all the ammo and health comes scrambling towards you in one go, and just overall it's really good. I get around 1300 arrowheads from when Linda is chasing me, so it's no time lost for it apart from buying, which is a couple of seconds extra, but really makes up for it.

EDIT2: And please. Is there ANY way to stop it crashing so much? It wasn't a problem early in the game, but now I'm finding it very hard to get THROUGH a segment without a crash happening. I'll try reinstalling, but this is awful.
Procrastination Nation!
I havn't had any problems with crashing on my PC.  I also bought it from steam... I dunno why it would crash.
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2010-03-13 08:19:31 am
I'm done with that segment, reinstalling helped for a while, but then it started going just as frequently. It was mainly if I pressed any buttons just before a loading screen, but other stuff crashed it too. It was just that segment it seems, from where you're first in your own mind to coming out to talk to Ford, then going to Sasha's mind and it was crashing like hell. But that's over with now. I'm now up to about halfway through Sasha's mind. I've segmented just before the shoebox part of it, and it's looking good so far Cheesy

EDIT: Completed Sasha's mind. All the segments from the end of Oleander's up to the end of Sasha's are uploaded On Youtube Cheesy
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2010-03-13 02:54:12 pm
Woah. I just found something that has the potential to make the run FAR faster. I can get to Milla without a boat and without levitation. I'm not on a computer that I can test it on, but if you can talk to Milla and get levitation before you're supposed to, it has the potential to skip out a lot of the run :|.

It's very hard to do, but it works. What you do is try a jump to get there, you'll normally fall just short as the hand tries to grab you and on the third time, pull you under. When it pulls you under, start INSANELY spamming jump and skip. The skip usually just gets rid of the animation of you drowning and places you at the beach, but if you hit it at the right time, and jump as well, you'll remain in place and you can get another jump across to Milla. I did it when I was meant to be able to get to Milla, but I didn't get chance to test it when I'm not meant to. I'll use a save like the one before I even get psi blast, see what happens, as soon as I get access to a computer I can play Psychonauts on.

This trick could also be useful in Lungfishopolis. There was a shortcut where you could manage to get to Kochamara island with a double-jump across the water and the hand lifting you up twice so you could get across, so the creators made it so that the hand only lifted you up once before pulling you under. Since we can now just keep going across, we can do this skip again :D.

I might have to redo a fair bit of my run if it turns out that you can get levitation very early. See how it goes, maybe it'll bring skips into earlier levels that weren't possible before it.

EDIT: Tested it, you get to Milla, but you can't talk to her or get into her mind, so no early levitation. Though the cutscenes do occur, so it shows a bunch of campers around her, then it goes to normal and nobody's there :D. Damn though, no extra skips. Though I'll definitely use it in Lungfishopolis to get to Kochamara Island early.

EDIT2: Video of it
Strange days, incredible days
Nice work, glad to see this game getting some attention Smiley

BTW, if you're using the non-steam PC version, there's a patch that should fix the constant crashing. Unless you already have it, in which case I dunno.
That sounds pretty weird. I have the steam version (2$ discount Smiley ) and it doesn't seem to crash that often. Could you tell us a bit more about when it crashes? In the middle of a level or while saving/loading?

Because when it crashed for me there was this certain zone that loading seemed to break the game and made it crash. It stinks that it crashes though + that is quite a cool glitch that you found there. IMO if there was a way to skip being level 30 this game would lead to a super fast run.

Also Update on my run : I had no power last weekend so I couldn't due any work on it. Stupid windstorms.
Yeah, the minimum requirement would be level 20 for Boyd. There HAS to be a way past Gloria without invisibility. If we can find a way, it'd be so brilliant.

So, our choices are this:

Get into Gloria's Room without invisibility
Get the candle without going into Gloria's room for the door to be open
Find some other way to change the set.

I've just had a thought, I'm not sure if it'd work. What if you were to find a way up to the very top, where you beat Jasper right at the end. Aren't there candles there? I'm not sure if it's the same level there though :/. If it is, then perhaps that could work, and we'd be one candle short for the spotlight thing, and perhaps at that point the door might be open for some reason, since we've messed the game up? I have no idea, I'm just thinking things very quickly Tongue
In re: repetitive crashes - something not generally known is that graphics-related crashes can be "sticky" (I'm a software engineer). Basically what happens is that a rare bug can crop up in the GPU's kernel memory space and overwrite a structure there. Next time the user program accesses that structure, it crashes.

But the thing is, that structure stays resident, even after the program crashes.  It's in kernel space, not user space. So it doesn't matter if the game restarts, it's still broken. Only a reboot fixes it.

Heh, my little contribution to these runs. Good luck with your run, inex.

BTW I thought you couldn't get to the sets part of that level without opening the muse door. But maybe I'm misremembering.
Quote from Inexistence:
I've just had a thought, I'm not sure if it'd work. What if you were to find a way up to the very top, where you beat Jasper right at the end. Aren't there candles there? I'm not sure if it's the same level there though :/. If it is, then perhaps that could work, and we'd be one candle short for the spotlight thing, and perhaps at that point the door might be open for some reason, since we've messed the game up? I have no idea, I'm just thinking things very quickly

Nope. Sadly that won't work. The candles spawn on the ground near Jasper at the start of the fight so even if you could get up to the balcony it wouldn't help much at all. Even though I already beat the stage the proper way I wonder what the area to get to the part after the baloon requires, because if you don't have to wait at the blimp at all and could just jump there to speed it up the candles and everything else would be unnececary.

Quote from usernameguy:
In re: repetitive crashes - something not generally known is that graphics-related crashes can be "sticky" (I'm a software engineer). Basically what happens is that a rare bug can crop up in the GPU's kernel memory space and overwrite a structure there. Next time the user program accesses that structure, it crashes.

But the thing is, that structure stays resident, even after the program crashes.  It's in kernel space, not user space. So it doesn't matter if the game restarts, it's still broken. Only a reboot fixes it.

Heh, my little contribution to these runs. Good luck with your run, inex.

BTW I thought you couldn't get to the sets part of that level without opening the muse door. But maybe I'm misremembering.

Thanks a lot for that explination, it explains why sometimes the game requires a computer restart Smiley (though I'm kind of sad the developers didn't notice how often it could occur)
Also you have to walk backstage to get to the sets part (after talking to Gloria). I think Inexistence thought that the candles to fight Jasper the boss were next to the lanturns you have to light which isn't correct sadly Sad so you would be remembering correctly I think.
Yeah, I was going by memory which obviously failed me. I just really wish we had a way to do that, so getting to level 20 is all that would be necessary and the run would be far faster.

I'm now up to the segment just before getting to Milla. It's a short segment, maybe 23 seconds or so, but it involves the water skip which is quite hard to do. Also, I checked and it doesn't work for Lungfishopolis unfortunately :(. I hate those planes. Guess it gives me chance to collect more figments though. Still, I'd prefer not to have to ¬_¬

I'm on 47 arrowheads I think. I'm easily going to get the 50 I need for the dowsing rod, and it should be all done without going off route too far at all, which is all good :). I'm not looking forward to Milla's mind at all, that's going to be horrible.

How goes your run bloodisblue?
Oh, that's easy, bloodisblue. Every piece of software ever developed has bugs in them. Bugs start as assumptions by the programmer that don't hold up. The thing about that is, it's very hard to test your own assumptions. There are so many of them.

And no matter how much testing you do, there will always be more.

To put it another way: after a certain point, finding the next bug in a piece of software gets to be exponentially expensive. So no matter where you start, actually finishing debugging simply becomes not worth it.
Yhea, thanks for the explanation usernameguy.

Also I worked on my run some more today, I'll might post the tower + tank boss fight as a "level" seeing that it basically is.

Also right now I'm stuck at the first part after the tank boss fight, I've tried it about 70 times but can't manage to get it done in the time frame that I'm looking for (actually I've never finished it yet because I quit whenever I mess up).

Also the tank boss I'm really proud of, I finished it in 1:30 minutes and it was a basically flawless fight imo. (but it still took me >50 tries. I wish there was a different run which I could have learned stratagies from)
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
good to see you guys going at it =D would love to see both runs finished.
Update : Progress -- Sorry that progress has been slow, I only really have time to play on the weekends now due to school sports (lacrosse). Also I am going to be away for about 1 week. But since hopefully I can finish Easter or the day before, but I'm not making any promises.
Finally! I got segment 12. Maybe a second could be shaved off, but I can't do that without going insane.

Segment 12: 26 seconds

Very very hard to do. The water skip was killing me for this segment, along with accomplishing everything else. I have to mash skip at the beginning to skip a cutscene straight away. If I don't skip it fast enough, I spawn facing another direction that's slower, so I have to get that. Then the flips to the arrowhead are easy. You have to roll up that hill at the right angle else it won't let you up it. Then when you do the flip to the card, you have to be just far enough to the left to be able to hit F and grab that arrowhead, and also far enough right to land on the slant.

Jumping at the right time then is hard to get the bunnyhop to the marker. Then you have to flip early enough that you slide down the back of the rock, but not too early as you might activate a cutscene which would get rid of the speed you have. Then skimming across the water isn't too bad, but timing the doublejump just right so that you land onto the ledge is difficult.

Then the water skip... oh god ¬_¬. I was getting so annoyed with the water skip. After the other difficult stuff, I just had this. Only got it a couple of times, and this time I managed not to mess up with the campers too much.

So now onto the levitation level. I'm not going to enjoy this..
Oh my god. I sent an email to DoubleFine about me doing the speedrun. I finally got a response! Cheesy

"Holy cow. You are the officially the most insane player of Psychonauts of all time.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Very impressed with your speedrun.

Sorry about the glitches. Thanks for telling us.

I’m going to pass along your mail to the team.

Thanks for playing!

-Info Cow"

THe glitches they mention are when I was experiencing it crashing a bunch of times. But yeah, I'm really happy about getting the email back. I love getting developer feedback Cheesy
I've been watching what you've been posting on youtube and it seems very impressive Smiley it looks like you're run could beat mine by about 8-12 minutes if you're plan goes correctly. Also I'm happy that they still are an active developer.

Thinking about it I beleive that you have a "very" good chance of getting the required level to beat Gloria's stage. You have 2 "free" levels from the outside world. 2 levels from psi cards. That leaves you with 6 levels to gain in Boyd's mind + Edgar's mind (I'd forget about waterloo, its figments are worth alomst nothing) This leveling goal seems a little difficult to acomplish without going to far out of you're way, but still manageable so good luck.

Also progress on my run is going very slowly. The Meat Circus is slowly whittling my patience down, I'm starting to hate it which is weird because it was one of my favorite parts in an actual run of the game.
Well, I've checked our times against each other, and after beating Kochamara, I'm 11:22 ahead of you.

I finish Kochamara island on Rank 20, with 87 figments. I have 2 markers I'm going to get, enough cards eventually for 2 markers to create, which puts me at 24. Then just 13 more figments which is nothing, and I need to gain 5 ranks. If worst comes to worst, I can gather some more cards I guess and make another marker. I'm going to test where I'll get up to just doing my fastest route, see if I can get to 30 by Gloria.

ExplodingCabbage, thanks for your Youtube comments, I've replied to each of them
Sorry to double-post so soon, but I'm really excited about this. I just ran through the game up to Gloria, and without going out of my way to collect any cards or cobwebs, only the necessary ones, I came to exactly 18, which is the exact amount needed for 2 markers to be created. I also collected figments. I think I can grab some extra ones I missed in Boyd's mind, and I managed to get to rank 28 with 4 figment points left over by collecting as many as I could en route in Edgar's mind and in Waterloo World. The extra two markers push me up to rank 30 with invisibility. I'm planning to collect the figments to make it so I get rank 30 exactly, just before I finish Black Velvetopia. I think it'll look really good in the run when I accomplish it just barely.

I'm so glad I won't have to go into Gloria's mind and get some from the audience. It'd waste time and look bad I think, not like the effortless win a speedrun should look like. So yeah, I'm really excited to get onto this. At the moment I've just finished the Kochamara battle. My next segment is just collecting the Fire and Telekinisis powerups, buying the Cobweb Duster, the Mental Magnet and 2 psi cores, then heading down to the beach and getting into Boyd's mind. It's quite annoying to be honest, a few conversations, which are awful since it's so easy to select the wrong one, and just a lot of precision moves in it. I'll be glad to get to Boyd's Mind.
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2010-05-26 08:07:16 am
Sorry this has gone so long without an update, and sorry for the triple post. I figured I'd give an update on my progress with this. I haven't had much time to work on it lately due to exams and schoolwork, but hopefully some time should free up after this. I've finally uploaded Linda's segments and also the finished Boyd's mind. hope you enjoy.

Linda
Boyd

I just realised I cut a video wrongly on part 2. This might mean that it comes underneath 11 minutes, so I can get it all in one part Cheesy
Quote from Inexistence:
Boyd Part 1 & Boyd Part 2

I just realised I cut a video wrongly on part 2. This might mean that it comes underneath 11 minutes, so I can get it all in one part Cheesy

Part 2 seems to be deleted. Maybe you'l upload it back or the whole Boyd's segment instead?
How's your progress now?
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2010-05-26 08:07:42 am
I've re-encoded the video with the correct segment in. What happened is that I left one of my previous attempts in the recording, so I did my attempt, failed, loaded and got the correct segment. This doubled the length of that segment, and pushed it over 11 minutes. I'll upload the full Boyd's mind as soon as I can Smiley

EDIT:

Boyd. There you go ^_^
Yeah, that's me!
Oh man, so many people working on this game oO

Been secretly working on this game for quite a while now, too. Started running it last summer... Made quite a lot of progress until my mainboard and other stuff blew to pieces. After almost a year of not being able to play the game, I finally managed to retrieve the data from the old hdds yesterday and was about to do the last 6 missing segements until I saw this. The planning is quite impressive, bug usage is nice, too. But there's still room for improvement.

Even though my run may be up to 10 mins slower (final time will be around 1:07:00), I'll finish it within the next couple of weeks and upload it so maybe I can help you guys optimize your runs even more.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Great to know you've been running it dude! I can't wait to see your run of it, hopefully you haven't beaten mine :P, and I'm on the fence on whether or not I want you to have found glitches that would force me to go back and rerun because of them :P.

Looking forward to seeing it!
Edit history:
butt3rs: 2010-05-30 02:14:26 pm
Yeah, that's me!
I don't think mine will be faster than yours. I used a totally different approach getting to lvl 30 than you did. I collected the psi upgrades and a lot of the scavenger hunt stuff while getting the arrow heads needed for the cobweb duster instead of focussing on collecting figments and getting the arrowheads in lair of the lung fish.

Greetz, Butt3rs