Smiley
Sad
<- 12
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
@LotBlind you're seeing this thread from a long time but have not replied yet...... Is there any thing that is not clear, pls ask me if I get you wrong and missed something to explain.

Thanks! 🙂
"Quick save" means there's a hotkey like F5.

The save option it gives you on easy and normal: Is it something that takes a lot of time to use?

I guess we can simplify it to this: you can do ILs by using the default starts. You can also do a full-game segmented run that has to have the exact same starting conditions for every mission as if you had done it all in one session without ever leaving the game or reloading any save files. If possible, during the segmented run, you can and should also use the in-mission save option to save more time in each segment.

Yes, that's the standard SDA timing, from start of control to the point when you can no longer die/lose. I don't know whether IsraeliRD timed it to when that message appears or when the cutscene starts but he'll do it the exact same way every time.
Umair, I have a few questions I hope you can clarify.

1. It sounds like the "Ctrl+Shift+F9" code would be the best way to define a base state. Since the base state for each level appears to be non-trivial, would it be possible to list what those base states?
2. In your opinion, how different is running the levels from the base state compared to the segmented approach 'horned' did for IGI2? Do you know if he e.g. went out of his way in one level to collect a powerful gun that helped save time in an upcoming level?
3. You mentioned above that IGI2 is similar to IGI1. Do the weapons carry over in the same way in IGI1? Do you know if 'horned' did proper runs from a "Ctrl+Shift+F9" base state (or similar) in his IGI1 runs? Or do we need to look at those more closely to ensure he didn't use any weapons collected in earlier levels?
Edit history:
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 02:03:39 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 01:00:37 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 01:00:24 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 12:59:20 am
Quote from LotBlind:
"Quick save" means there's a hotkey like F5.

The save option it gives you on easy and normal: Is it something that takes a lot of time to use?

I guess we can simplify it to this: you can do ILs by using the default starts. You can also do a full-game segmented run that has to have the exact same starting conditions for every mission as if you had done it all in one session without ever leaving the game or reloading any save files. If possible, during the segmented run, you can and should also use the in-mission save option to save more time in each segment.

Yes, that's the standard SDA timing, from start of control to the point when you can no longer die/lose. I don't know whether IsraeliRD timed it to when that message appears or when the cutscene starts but he'll do it the exact same way every time.

No, it doesn't take much time. You just have to press 'I' button for IGI H.Q (the key can be changed in controls also) and then hit enter it takes 2sec to show uploading data and game saved immediately.
Then you can load it from there anytime.

Yes, I think the same what you've said. IL runs can be done with default weapons whether it were carried from old missions or by that code but no one should be allowed to carry enemies weapon in next mission (it should be used in the same mission, if needed same like as Horned use Mac-10 to open the gate in mission 1 at last) in IL runs otherwise the player may get an advantage by enemies weapon.
For example, if someone doesn't use that code and play first mission he must have to complete three missions with those same default weapons in starting or without weapons (in case, he thrown all weapons except knifecto run faster) which were given in mission 1.
So, IL runs should be completed by playing once each mission by unlocking all of them through Ctrl+shift+f9 and full runs should be completed in one sequence as Horned done in it's full Speedrun.

In short: Runners can open all missions through that code or by playing them normally but at the starting, he should either have default weapons or if he thrown them in the preceding level he can complete it without weapon and if use enemies weapon for sometime, don't carry it to next mission.

No, quick save option should not be used in both IL and Full Speedrun and it would conflict the timing and rise the chance of cheating and most of the runs are done from starting to end not from the middle saved game to end.

Don't know who IsraeliRD is..... Never seen his name or run anywhere.
Edit history:
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 02:25:51 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-15 02:22:49 am
Quote from ktwo:

1. It sounds like the "Ctrl+Shift+F9" code would be the best way to define a base state. Since the base state for each level appears to be non-trivial, would it be possible to list what those base states?
2. In your opinion, how different is running the levels from the base state compared to the segmented approach 'horned' did for IGI2? Do you know if he e.g. went out of his way in one level to collect a powerful gun that helped save time in an upcoming level?
3. You mentioned above that IGI2 is similar to IGI1. Do the weapons carry over in the same way in IGI1? Do you know if 'horned' did proper runs from a "Ctrl+Shift+F9" base state (or similar) in his IGI1 runs? Or do we need to look at those more closely to ensure he didn't use any weapons collected in earlier levels?

Quote from ktwo:

1. Yes, through this code, all missions get unlocked to their default state and even if you play that mission which provides weapons according to what we had in preceding level, we get default weapons by game it that missions too.
But for example, if I complete mission 1, game gets the data from mission 1 if I play mission 2 after it.
So, if I need default weapons not preceding mission in mission 2, I had to first delete my profile in game and had to recreate it and then again use that code to open them in their default state then I can play mission 2 with default weapons (as when I recreate my profile, old mission 1 data gets cleared).

But this process is little bit longer. It's better to follow these rules.:
Runners can open all missions through that code or by playing them normally but at the starting, he should either have default weapons or if he thrown them in the preceding level he can complete it without weapon and if use enemies weapon for sometime, don't carry it to next mission.

2. It would not be too much different. The difference is just of throwing weapons.
For example, Horned thrown weapons in first mission and in second mission, he don't have weapon, he don't need to throw any weapon but if we play through base state we had to throw the weapons everytime we start to increase running speed as it gives a huge advantage by throwing the weapons.
But yes, a little important difference as I given you the example above of mission 1 and 2. If someone start mission 2 with default weapons and want to use it at starting (if needed) can give an advantage over those runners who will play a full Speedrun in a sequence as in most of the time, player will surely throw the weapon in first mission and in second mission he will not going to have any weapon whereas those people who play IL run will have a weapon at starting.
Some levels like level 1,4,6,7,8,9,13,14,16,18 have default weapons starting. In these levels, we don't get weapons in a sequence, always provided default weapons.
These are the only difference I think at my last.

And you are correct that Horned could have obtained a powerful weapon for next mission but he didn't did this and if he had done this there should be no problem.
This thing should be allowed for full SpeedRUN as everyone has their own different strategies go complete the game. But I think we're not going to compare full runs with IL ones. Carrying weapons mission to mission should be allowed in full runs but for IL runs, the rules should be as follow:-
IL Runners can open all missions through that code or by playing them normally but at the starting, he should either have default weapons or if he thrown them in the preceding level he can complete it without weapon and if use enemies weapon for sometime, don't carry it to next mission.

3. By saying IGI 2 is similar to IGI while talking with @LotBlind, I mean IGI 2 menu and mission selecting is similar. The only difference is that in IGI 2 weapons are carried to next mission but not in all missions.
The mission in which weapons are carried from preceding missions are mission 2,3,5,10,11,12,15 & 17 and the missions in which default weapons given are mission 1,4,6,7,8,9,13,14,16,18.

There is no such code that developers leaved in IGI 1 to open all missions like IGI 2.
Don't worry..... In IGI 1, developers didn't made the game to carry weapons in succeeding missions in sequence. Each missions give you default weapons at starting no matter what you do.
And I've seen his IGI 1 run, it's legit and he used default weapons at starting everytime.
Using save files in the middle of the missions in a segmented run is a perfectly standard feature. That's always been encouraged on SDA and has never been banned anywhere in general, and if it saves time, it should be done to make it stand out more from SS runs (or in this case, ILs as well). Cheating is not such a big concern. Someone should probably have asked horned about this option when he submitted his runs.

IsraeliRD is the one who times runs on SDA.

The default starts: Can't you go to the game files and keep a back-up of a fresh file where no weapons are stored in the profile (if I understood what you said), then copy it over the profile in Windows every time you want to reset? Does that make it any the faster? That's sometimes done with other games as well.

Hang on, but if that's the only difference between ILs and segmented runs, do we really need both? If you could save the game far more frequently than just a few times every mission (with a time penalty that's not accounted for in the in-game timer that would otherwise be used), it would make sense to run it segmented, but if throwing some weapons away is the only difference... What's the point? So you run a bit faster. No-one wants to watch two runs that are ultimately so similar. There have to be other differences as well. What we usually have done (I believe) is we allow one or the other to exist on the game page at once and obsolete the other run. Usually the runners themselves have arrived at some kind of consensus about which one to do.

So yeah, I don't like the idea of having both side-by-side. If it's ILs, they should use the one and only default starting state given by the game when you select them from the menu. It seems the ILs will be faster because of what you said about having more flexibility about if you keep your starting weapons or discard them. So unless there are things you can do in a segmented run that make it faster than the ILs, or significantly different somehow, I wonder if we should forget about that category completely going forwards? It also has the bonus of making runs easier to obsolete one mission at a time (though, as before, we always prefer a larger number of missions in every submission).
Quote from LotBlind:
Using save files in the middle of the missions in a segmented run is a perfectly standard feature. That's always been encouraged on SDA and has never been banned anywhere in general, and if it saves time, it should be done to make it stand out more from SS runs (or in this case, ILs as well). Cheating is not such a big concern. Someone should probably have asked horned about this option when he submitted his runs.

IsraeliRD is the one who times runs on SDA.

The default starts: Can't you go to the game files and keep a back-up of a fresh file where no weapons are stored in the profile (if I understood what you said), then copy it over the profile in Windows every time you want to reset? Does that make it any the faster? That's sometimes done with other games as well.

Hang on, but if that's the only difference between ILs and segmented runs, do we really need both? If you could save the game far more frequently than just a few times every mission (with a time penalty that's not accounted for in the in-game timer that would otherwise be used), it would make sense to run it segmented, but if throwing some weapons away is the only difference... What's the point? So you run a bit faster. No-one wants to watch two runs that are ultimately so similar. There have to be other differences as well. What we usually have done (I believe) is we allow one or the other to exist on the game page at once and obsolete the other run. Usually the runners themselves have arrived at some kind of consensus about which one to do.

So yeah, I don't like the idea of having both side-by-side. If it's ILs, they should use the one and only default starting state given by the game when you select them from the menu. It seems the ILs will be faster because of what you said about having more flexibility about if you keep your starting weapons or discard them. So unless there are things you can do in a segmented run that make it faster than the ILs, or significantly different somehow, I wonder if we should forget about that category completely going forwards? It also has the bonus of making runs easier to obsolete one mission at a time (though, as before, we always prefer a larger number of missions in every submission).

But it we use middle save game option, it would vary a lot since we actually don't know when the mission started and what already played before saving the game.

Don't know whether IsraeliRD timed them like Horned but Horned himself wrote all timings in information according to that message.

Yes, your idea if copy-pasting save game is perfect. The default location of IGI 2 save games is at: IGI2\pc\savegames\
We can copy all data in it and then can repaste it.

Forgot to tell you that the save option have some limitations on easy and medium difficulty too.
On Easy you can save 4or5 times.
And on Medium you can save only 3 times.
And throwing weapons is just for running faster whether we throw it in full run or IL run.
You can make two categories with a full run submission and with IL also. If a runner uses any new glitch to cutoff some time in full run which is not known yet, it's his responsibility to post that IL mission run with that glitch also otherwise anyone can copy it.
And yes, the same run with same glitches and strategies should not be accepted once it is submitted by first real owner.

It was all that I thought.... Don't know what to say anymore.
And I am little bit not be able to understand by your last statment.
However, if I've not answered any of your question, pls ask me، I would try to answer you.

But my opinion, there should be an option for IL runs also to make a historic records of them like other games runs aslo.
1. I think I understand what you're saying, but just to make sure, let me rephrase what I was specifically wondering about.
In level 1, I can see you start with:
- MP3A3 (330 bullets)
- G-17 (81)
- Knife

If you unlock all levels from a new profile with the "ctrl+shift+F9" code, would you then get exactly these same weapons and ammo in level 2 and 3?

Is this generally the case? (so the level 5 "base state" is the same as the starting configuration of level 4, the level 10 "base state" is the same as the starting configuration of level 9 etc)

Quote:
It's better to follow these rules.: Runners can open all missions through that code or by playing them normally but at the starting, he should either have default weapons or if he thrown them in the preceding level he can complete it without weapon and if use enemies weapon for sometime, don't carry it to next mission.

Based on the understanding I have right now, I disagree. Throwing away weapons in a previous level gives you an advantage in the next level. By watching some of the runs, it takes up to a few seconds to throw away the unwanted weapons when you start a level. Since you're saying that running can only be done without carrying any weapons, you're losing a little bit of time if you were starting from a fresh "ctrl+shift+F9" by having to walk for a brief moment until the weapons have been thrown away. But starting from "ctrl+shift+F9" gives you a well-defined base state and that's a fundamental rule in individual level (IL) speedrunning. Not using the base state (such as throwing away weapons in a previous level) should not give an advantage, if it is to be allowed. That's why I disagree with you on this point.

2. Thank you for the information. I went through the levels 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17 in horned's run. There is (unfortunately) one level, where he starts with more weapons than what the base state should be (assuming I have understood the concept of base states correctly). In level 10, he started with a bunch of weapons that were collected in level 9. So on top of small time gains from throwing away weapons to get to running speed, there is this one inconsistency that disqualifies his run for being a collection of ILs.

3. Thanks for the confirmation. Good to hear that we can limit the discussion to only the second game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm of course interested to see your replies to what I wrote above. But assuming there is nothing I have misunderstood, let's get back to your original question about submitting your one IL. I agree that Project IGI2 definitely can, and should, have an IL table. However, the rule here on SDA is to only accept a full set of levels for the initial submission. Once we have a full table, improvements can be done one at a time though. Since there is currently no IL table, we would either need a full submission that contains runs of every level to create the initial table or we could discuss converting horned's run into an IL table.

If the only difference between horned's run and a set of ILs had been throwing away the weapons in a previous level, I think we could have found a practical solution by converting his run into ILs. It's generally better to have an IL table, where each level can be improved independently, than having a full segmented run that can only be improved in its entirety. If we could convert his run into ILs, then you could have submitted your improvement. But as things stand, there is also the inconsistency in level 10, which honestly is too much. Having guns in that mission seems to change the way it's played by quite a lot. I don't think it could be justified to relabel his run of that level as an IL (but it's of course legit for a segmented run).

Is there a way forward? I would say yes. If you (or someone else) can submit a level 10 (from the base state) together with the other improvement you have made, we could use those together with horned's run to create the IL table.
Quote from ktwo:
1. I think I understand what you're saying, but just to make sure, let me rephrase what I was specifically wondering about.
In level 1, I can see you start with:
- MP3A3 (330 bullets)
- G-17 (81)
- Knife

If you unlock all levels from a new profile with the "ctrl+shift+F9" code, would you then get exactly these same weapons and ammo in level 2 and 3?

Is this generally the case? (so the level 5 "base state" is the same as the starting configuration of level 4, the level 10 "base state" is the same as the starting configuration of level 9 etc)

Quote:
It's better to follow these rules.: Runners can open all missions through that code or by playing them normally but at the starting, he should either have default weapons or if he thrown them in the preceding level he can complete it without weapon and if use enemies weapon for sometime, don't carry it to next mission.

Based on the understanding I have right now, I disagree. Throwing away weapons in a previous level gives you an advantage in the next level. By watching some of the runs, it takes up to a few seconds to throw away the unwanted weapons when you start a level. Since you're saying that running can only be done without carrying any weapons, you're losing a little bit of time if you were starting from a fresh "ctrl+shift+F9" by having to walk for a brief moment until the weapons have been thrown away. But starting from "ctrl+shift+F9" gives you a well-defined base state and that's a fundamental rule in individual level (IL) speedrunning. Not using the base state (such as throwing away weapons in a previous level) should not give an advantage, if it is to be allowed. That's why I disagree with you on this point.

2. Thank you for the information. I went through the levels 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17 in horned's run. There is (unfortunately) one level, where he starts with more weapons than what the base state should be (assuming I have understood the concept of base states correctly). In level 10, he started with a bunch of weapons that were collected in level 9. So on top of small time gains from throwing away weapons to get to running speed, there is this one inconsistency that disqualifies his run for being a collection of ILs.

3. Thanks for the confirmation. Good to hear that we can limit the discussion to only the second game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm of course interested to see your replies to what I wrote above. But assuming there is nothing I have misunderstood, let's get back to your original question about submitting your one IL. I agree that Project IGI2 definitely can, and should, have an IL table. However, the rule here on SDA is to only accept a full set of levels for the initial submission. Once we have a full table, improvements can be done one at a time though. Since there is currently no IL table, we would either need a full submission that contains runs of every level to create the initial table or we could discuss converting horned's run into an IL table.

If the only difference between horned's run and a set of ILs had been throwing away the weapons in a previous level, I think we could have found a practical solution by converting his run into ILs. It's generally better to have an IL table, where each level can be improved independently, than having a full segmented run that can only be improved in its entirety. If we could convert his run into ILs, then you could have submitted your improvement. But as things stand, there is also the inconsistency in level 10, which honestly is too much. Having guns in that mission seems to change the way it's played by quite a lot. I don't think it could be justified to relabel his run of that level as an IL (but it's of course legit for a segmented run).

Is there a way forward? I would say yes. If you (or someone else) can submit a level 10 (from the base state) together with the other improvement you have made, we could use those together with horned's run to create the IL table.

Thank you so much for your reply.

If every player use Ctrl+shift+f9, it doesn't matter whether the ammo is same or not because the ammo would be same for all. Every player who unlocks missions and play level 2 or 3 will have same guns and ammo. (Actually this code opens all levels, but if mission 2 doesn't have guns data from mission 1 then the game automatically gives guns with ammo that are set to give in these situations.)
I didn't said running can only be done without carrying weapons, we throw weapons to increase little bit speed, the 1st primary wepaons are rely heavier than the secondary weapons.
For this problem, it should be a rule to start every run with base state defaults weapons but then Horned's full run will conflict if converted to IL as he had no weapons or less at starting.

And for the level 10, I tried doing it's Speedrun in Normal difficulty and the lower time I achieved was 01:33 and I think Horned's this level 10 run is 4-5 seconds faster in full runs also.

It's better to convert his Full Run in IL runs, it would be more better but his IL runs starting (if converted) would be different from others who will submit IL runs improvement with base state default weapons and ammo.
Edit history:
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-16 10:04:33 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-16 10:04:10 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-16 10:03:37 am
Sorry, I just remembered one more thing. His mission 10 run is okay.
Even he throws his primary weapon(sniper) in level 9 or even start level 10 with fresh state, the game always gives you a Sniper because in this level, your first objective is done through Sniper. So even you don't meant to complete the first objective, the game always provide a Sniper. So Horned has no choice whether he thrown that sniper in level 9 or not..... He had to start that mission with that Sniper.
So I think it's ok.

And if you think Sniper is necessary but what about the secondary weapon (Pistol), it doesn't increase or decrease much speed..... Only 5-8% impact and also doesn't take much time to be thrown away.
So, I think his Full Speedrun can be converted into Individual runs including the mission 10 also.
Quote:
if mission 2 doesn't have guns data from mission 1 then the game automatically gives guns with ammo that are set to give in these situations.

Just to avoid any confusion. If we take this as a specific example, can you state exactly what the starting weapons in mission 2 would be?

IL runs are done from a fixed base state. That has been the rule since "forever". Definitely here on SDA, but I'm guessing you would have difficulties finding examples even on SRC, where each game has it's own rules, of arbitrary starting stats (at least for games with many players and experienced moderators). Horned was probably aware of this and therefore correctly chose to submit his run as 'segmented' and not as a set of ILs. However, since it sounds like the effect between not having weapons and having weapons is small, I think a practical solution would be to accept horned's runs as IL runs (except possibly not for level 10), but treat it as an exception. Here on SDA, we would likely be adding a comment on the game page about the minor deviation. Hopefully, horned's runs would then eventually be improved by others, starting from a base state.

Assuming your best time in level 10 was from the base state (again to be absolutely clear, can you state what the base state for level 10 is?), there is no point in comparing it with horned's run. He uses the pistol to take out guards and inventory from a distance, which looks like it saves a bit of time over not having it.
Edit history:
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-17 04:25:13 am
umair.irfan786155: 2020-08-17 04:24:07 am
Quote from ktwo:
Quote:
if mission 2 doesn't have guns data from mission 1 then the game automatically gives guns with ammo that are set to give in these situations.

Just to avoid any confusion. If we take this as a specific example, can you state exactly what the starting weapons in mission 2 would be?

IL runs are done from a fixed base state. That has been the rule since "forever". Definitely here on SDA, but I'm guessing you would have difficulties finding examples even on SRC, where each game has it's own rules, of arbitrary starting stats (at least for games with many players and experienced moderators). Horned was probably aware of this and therefore correctly chose to submit his run as 'segmented' and not as a set of ILs. However, since it sounds like the effect between not having weapons and having weapons is small, I think a practical solution would be to accept horned's runs as IL runs (except possibly not for level 10), but treat it as an exception. Here on SDA, we would likely be adding a comment on the game page about the minor deviation. Hopefully, horned's runs would then eventually be improved by others, starting from a base state.

Assuming your best time in level 10 was from the base state (again to be absolutely clear, can you state what the base state for level 10 is?), there is no point in comparing it with horned's run. He uses the pistol to take out guards and inventory from a distance, which looks like it saves a bit of time over not having it.

The default starting base state of mission 2 is:
1.MP5A3 (330ammo), 2.G-17 SD (81ammo), 3.Knife

And the default base state of mission 10 is:
1. PSG-1SD (30ammo), 2. Socom (76ammo), 3.Knife
Quote from umair.irfan786155:

Well, this changes what I said before. The Socom appears to equivalent or at least very close to the pistol horned used in level 10. From what I can tell, there was no advantage for horned using the other pistol. That means we can use his level 10 as well for an IL table.

If you submit your improvement, we will transform horned's run into an IL table. However, future submissions (which includes your potential submission) need to be done with the weapons from the "ctrl+shift+F9" base state. Throwing away the guns in previous levels is not allowed. We will add something on the Project IGI 2 game page to inform both viewers and future submitters about this. If you disagree and think it gives horned's runs too much of an advantage, we will just keep his run the way it currently is, i.e. segmented. In that case, a full IL table would have to be done for the initial submission.
Quote from ktwo:
Quote from umair.irfan786155:

Well, this changes what I said before. The Socom appears to equivalent or at least very close to the pistol horned used in level 10. From what I can tell, there was no advantage for horned using the other pistol. That means we can use his level 10 as well for an IL table.

If you submit your improvement, we will transform horned's run into an IL table. However, future submissions (which includes your potential submission) need to be done with the weapons from the "ctrl+shift+F9" base state. Throwing away the guns in previous levels is not allowed. We will add something on the Project IGI 2 game page to inform both viewers and future submitters about this. If you disagree and think it gives horned's runs too much of an advantage, we will just keep his run the way it currently is, i.e. segmented. In that case, a full IL table would have to be done for the initial submission.

Thanks for the reply! That's what before I wanted to said you, his mission 10 run is approximately same in terms of weapons.
I founded a little new method for doing mission 6 but unfortunately when I recorded it's timing, it was not improved. It was too late compared to current one.

So, I think I am not ready to submit any IL run right now but I think you should start converting Horned's run to IL so that if someone views this game page get to know that IL improvement are available to submit now and they can post it.
There is some manual work related to converting horned's run to an IL table and it is technically a segmented run after all. So until there is a new submission, we'll leave the run as it is. We'll try to add something to the game page though to explain the situation and how ILs should be the way forward for this game.
Quote from ktwo:
There is some manual work related to converting horned's run to an IL table and it is technically a segmented run after all. So until there is a new submission, we'll leave the run as it is. We'll try to add something to the game page though to explain the situation and how ILs should be the way forward for this game.

Yes, it would be better!
Thanks!! 👍