Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 43 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Is it still possible to do the old button save glitch?
Edit history:
Darkevil: 2012-01-14 12:07:59 am
Darkevil: 2012-01-14 12:07:36 am
Darkevil: 2012-01-14 12:07:35 am
Darkevil: 2012-01-14 12:07:25 am
It was originally found 2 months ago on non-DLC and I recorded video from non-DLC version but fuck, it working on DLC
Quote from RøvRapunzel:
Is it still possible to do the old button save glitch?

In the olden days you could do the button save glitch by saving as you step off a button or as you drag a cube off a button.  After the DLC it only works if you save as you drag a cube off a button.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Quote from Blazier:
For OoB glitches there's this:

Let's hope it's useful somewhere.

Also, DemonStrate, good. I'd love to see you continue with your routes for the non-DLC game.

That was found like... a few days after the game came out.
So how will the official speed runs for this game need to be?
Single-segmented; do you need to have demofiles or can it all be recorded with fraps, how will it be timed? This mostly pertains to coops speed run where the loading times between levels is different for each partner's demo. ( I assume must be recorded from Atlas' POV.
Will there need to be different categories for the normal game vs challenge mode, or just throw out challenge mode?

Edit history:
Blazier: 2012-02-14 10:30:40 pm
Blazier: 2012-02-14 10:28:56 pm
The biggest thing we need to worry about is pre-DLC vs DLC... they'll be separate categories... but I'd prefer a pre-DLC run of the game... it's faster and we can already pretty much see the DLC run by watching the challenge records. As for challenges: they don't really have a place here on SDA. There's already the steam leaderboards and that steam thread with video verified records.

Timing will be just like with every other PC game here. Starts when you first gain control, stops when you last lose control and loading screens are cut out. Demos should be sufficient, but recording directly with Fraps would be preferred (actually, both would be even better). For a coop run, I think it would be good to have both points of view recorded.
Is there a place to download the files for the pre-dlc version. If there is a category for it this should be readily available.
Also if people can edit out their loading screens whats to stop them from editing multiple segments together and calling it a single segmented run. There has to be some way of verifying it right? I'm pretty sure most of the active speed running community is legit but still you never know.
Should it be mandatory for both coop partners POV? I always try to enable my partners remote view during recording but some levels i forget especially if there is a tricky start and i don't know how to edit two views together even if my partner records it himself(which he normally doesn't), it seems like a lot of work.
Quote from Schlepian:
Is there a place to download the files for the pre-dlc version. If there is a category for it this should be readily available.

Just look for an old torrent of the game... just make sure it's cracked.

Quote from Schlepian:
Should it be mandatory for both coop partners POV? I always try to enable my partners remote view during recording but some levels i forget especially if there is a tricky start and i don't know how to edit two views together even if my partner records it himself(which he normally doesn't), it seems like a lot of work.

Recording a demo is no problem... it's just a command so both players can always do this. Editing it together is no problem... just submit it raw. We don't need to require both views, it would just be better to watch.
Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2012-04-01 09:19:58 am
DemonStrate: 2012-04-01 09:16:55 am
DemonStrate: 2012-04-01 09:16:54 am
DemonStrate: 2012-04-01 09:16:53 am
DemonStrate: 2012-04-01 09:16:33 am
I can't seem to do the button save glitch in the original version of Portal 2 now. I believe it is because I have an updated version also on this PC, which is causing some kind of conflict. I can still do reportaling, but I need the button save glitch to do the next segment I'm working on.

Edit: Hmm. Issue solved. I couldn't get BSG to work on that version (build 4535), so I remembered I had made another backup version (build 4674). Unfortunately, it wasn't working, meaning, the game would not load ("Could not load library client" error) . I spent about an hour or so, and figured out how to get that version to work! After testing it in, I learned I could use BSG in it. Sweet. So, I continued testing.
sp_a3_bomb_flings - route [Update3]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm_qd...ature=youtu.be
Maybe it's faster, than my previous route...I did it pretty slow though...
Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2012-04-03 07:55:25 pm
Your URL isn't complete...

Edit: Gogog gadet Google:
sp_a3_transition01 - timesaver(?)
@ toten:
@ bomb_flings: Because of your video, you spawned me to create a new, and I believe faster, route.
@ transition01: Because of your video, I have an idea on how to make it much faster. I always forget about wall-reportaling.
sp_a3_bomb_flings - route [Update4]
Anyone find any maps we can use peek-a-portal on? I keep forgetting about it when I'm making routes, but it is an extremely useful glitch to use.
Haven't seen it anywhere being useful, only chamber I can think of is Incinerator, but you can do it without it.

Little route improvement for Finale 3, nothing groundbreaking tho.
DemonStrate, could you explain step-by-step how you got your outdated game working?
Quote from ncla:
DemonStrate, could you explain step-by-step how you got your outdated game working?

I used MiSteamSuite:
http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52701

I wish I had more steps to give you than that, but I remember running into issues, and figuring out ways around them. It looks like I must have found a website that had something akin to the "L4D method" and the "non-L4D method" to make something steamless. If you have a specific issue, I can try to remember if I ran into it and hopefully help you. The one issue I resolved recently and wrote down was this (here are the instructions I wrote down):
COULD NOT LOAD LIBRARY CLIENT FIX
1. I downloaded: Portal 2 Crack Fix-SKIDROW
2. I opened it and took out these files:
portal2/bin/server.dll
portal2/bin/client.dll
3. I put these files into the folder of my revLoader version of Portal2:
portal2/bin
4. It worked after that! No error.
Edit history:
ncla: 2012-04-10 03:36:00 am
Well, my question wasn't that QUITE direct. The whole point of asking this question is BSG. I have tried like three builds I believe of Portal 2, none of them had BSG working, ground-to-ground reportaling working, for some odd reason, just like you. After that I decided to make virtual partition and install new OS and try Portal 2, same issue.. I even tried on another computer just to be extra sure, just incase that "conflict" issue caused cracked Portal 2 to be derped.

Not sure what kind of magic is involved.. any older build should have BSG working. Sad

So my questions to you are, are you playing Portal 2 with Steam in offline mode with this tool? You said you had backup of the game (build 4674), is that what you are using to play offline, or you have cracked version of it? What kind of files you did backup? The .gcf ones?

And lastly, would it be possible that you could share backup files of this game?
Edit history:
DemonStrate: 2012-04-11 06:03:34 am
Quote from ncla:
So my questions to you are, are you playing Portal 2 with Steam in offline mode with this tool?

No... If you check my hours played on Steam for Portal 1  (which didn't have time logging when it came out anyway) and now for Portal 2, they don't correlate with how many actual hours I've played the game. This is because I don't have Steam running at all. You can't run Steam to play the steam-less versions of the games.

Quote from ncla:
You said you had backup of the game (build 4674), is that what you are using to play offline, or you have cracked version of it?

I don't know what you mean by 'cracked'. What I basically did about 3 years ago was Google: "How to make a steamless game". I found a bunch of different tutorials. At the time, I needed Portal 1 to be steamless, so I was extremely fortunate enough to have a laptop which had Portal on that I hadn't ran Steam since they did an update that broke demo playback between that build and the current Steam build. I needed the demos to play back because I had already completed half of PDP in that build, and otherwise, I couldn't recapture the demos to make the video.

For Portal 2, it was about 1-2 months before the slated DLC. This time, I was smart, and did all the work upfront since I knew that they would change stuff for the DLC. Unfortunately, I never got it to work, and I would get the error above "Could not load library client". Again, I was fortunate when I was looking at what I had and I had both that non-working version and the other 'illegal' version that people download from torrents (which should be the release build). I was having the issue you are describing with this build, and other additional issues, including random game closing (I would be playing, and just end up at the desktop randomly).

I did some more Googling, and found that Skidrow had released a fix. I went and downloaded it, and looked at the files. Then, I compared the files in the fix to what I had in my non-release version. I realized that I was missing those server.dll and client.dlls specific to that directory. Then, it worked! I was simply amazed. I ran it and found I could BSG with this version, unlike the release version.

Quote from ncla:
What kind of files you did backup? The .gcf ones?

Right now, I just realized I saved the link to the actual tutorial that I used to create this version, which is much more specific than just saying "Use MiSteamSuite":
http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=54888

From this think, follow the steps for "Making a NCF Standalone" and MAKE SURE to do it in the L4D/L4D2 way. This worked for me for Portal 2. I also tried the non-L4D way, but it did not work. I have my shortcut that I use currently named "revLoader.exe - Shortcut - l4d way - b4674" to denote the way that I created the steamless version. I just noticed now that the link to the revEmu is invalid. Here is the latest revEmu version:
http://rev-crew.info/threads/update-18-02-2012.98/

So, the actual files I backed up were based on the tutorial. I don't know what it saves, but if I compare the release version vs. this version in filesize, this is 10.8 gigs vs. 10.4 gigs of the release (a mysterious 400 extra megs). So, I believe that the 'loader' that is used by the release version is not as 'steamless' as this method, but I have no proof other than I can BSG in this one, and not in the release version.

Quote from ncla:
And lastly, would it be possible that you could share backup files of this game?

Unfortunately, no. That is illegal because I'm basically giving you a copy of my game. What I did do, is take all the files and information from this investigation and put it into a .rar. This contains a downloaded version of the tutorial, links and other archives that I may have used to make my backup. You can get that here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45123651/Steamless%20Games%20Tutorial.rar

Overall, I hope this problem has given everyone the initiative to back up their Steam games if they plan to do a speedrun of them. And, if you have enough space, back up different builds of them, so that conflicts like these can be resolved. I, unfortunately, don't back them up like this either, but if Half-Life 3 or Ep3 comes out, I know I'll be making backups of those.
Thanks for putting effort into writing this. Smiley That russian forum has lots of useful information from what I can see.. Lots of possibilities there on how to launch steam games etc etc. Right now I'm thinking about downloading release date Portal 2 game and use it with some of the other tools.

Oh well, let the testing begin.
Just gonna say this... did everyone know that holding crouch while bunny hopping makes you bunny hop faster?

Because... it does. Unfortunately, you start to lose the ability to turn, but it is quite a bit faster than normal bunny hopping. Did you guys now about the pro-tip? It makes a HUGE difference from what I do from now on.
Edit history:
ncla: 2012-04-12 05:28:09 am
I'm pretty sure you are eating mushrooms and halucinating, holding crouch doesn't change anything, I bunnyhop all the time without pressing crouch button. But if you are right, my whole life has been a lie.
It does seem to make a difference and the number that cl_showpos shows does seem to go higher, but as far as making an actual difference? I can't say it helps me. There's a few jumps in the game that I always just fail when bunnyhopping, and when using crouch, although my velocity is being shown as higher, I still just fail the jumps.
But it certainly affects your ability to turn at higher speeds, which might be the reason you're going faster, as you can turn more without affecting your trajectory. I'm gonna play around with this a bit more, that's for sure.