Thread title:  
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-03-27 06:50:22 pm
1-Up!
Run Information

Pitfall II (100%) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/pitfall%202

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 9, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Audio is good but the video is rough. I can't tell if it's the game or the tv is was recorded off of. The run itself was damn near flawless, no complaints.

accept
The Great Farming Empire
Audio Quality - Good
Video Quality - A little grainy, especially at the beginning with the screen readjusting for the game. It's probably just the Atari being old as dirt. Otherwise, It's acceptable.

I'd say this run was practically perfect. You could have probably saved at most some frames from better enemy patterns, but other than that I got nothing else to say.

Accept
Willing to teach you the impossible
Not much to say. Easy accept.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Considering the console this is being played on, the audio/video quality seems pretty fantastic to me. As for the run, seems like a really straightforward game with not alot you can do to optimize it further. It seems pretty clear from watching that the runner knows what he's doing and executes as well as he could have. I'd give it a pass for sure. It's pretty neat to see the Atari 2600 get some speedrunning love for once.
Edit history:
Melodia: 2013-03-26 12:42:02 pm
I'd say the audio quality is a bit hissy at first, but mostly it's fine. Video quality is indeed a bit fuzzy but it's still good enough.
No mention of system -- one assumes it's the Atari 2600, but it was released on a number of other platforms so it should at least be noted.

The run itself of course is flawless....maybe a few frames here and there at most could be saved.
HOWEVER -- this is not, in fact an Any% but a 100% (maximum points/everything collected).
Obvious accept.
Not a walrus
The comments do mention that it's played on the actual 2600 (or at least heavily implies it), and as far as I know all the other variants of this game are port perfect, so there's no real distinction. If somebody knows of a counterexample we can make a note of it.
Balls jerky
I probably should've signed up to be a proper verifier for this. Oops sry cak.

Lightning quick verification: A/V is good. The 2600 only outputs RF so don't expect 1080p or anything :P. Actually, watching the old run and this side by side, the 2600 one looks better haha. Gameplay is spot on and it dominates the old GBA version run by 2 or 3 minutes. Easy accept.

Also, echoing the fact that this is 100%
Great Run! And I love old consoles. Accept!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
This run crushes the previous run, and somehow cak captured in RF. a/v is good, and so is the gameplay, accept.
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
The comments do mention that it's played on the actual 2600 (or at least heavily implies it), and as far as I know all the other variants of this game are port perfect, so there's no real distinction. If somebody knows of a counterexample we can make a note of it.

Ah, heh, I missed where the actual comments were posted embarassed

And the 5200/8bit one, at least, had better graphics, though I have no idea about the others...
twitch.tv/ccaakk
The GB Advance version (which is currently on the site) has significant lag in places, and the sound is quite a bit different. That said, the game engine seems pretty much identical.
HELLO!
Yeah this looks definitely like 100%, going out of the way to pick up the bonuses.

And the capture quality, I wish I could get that from my Atari.

Please accept.
Not a walrus
So how much faster would an any% be?
twitch.tv/ccaakk
I haven't researched the any%, so I couldn't say exactly.
Balls jerky
At least 4:45. This run - the incumbent any%.
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Great stuff.  Seems barely improvable by human standards.  A/V is good considering the source.  Pretty obvious accept.
1-Up!
Decision posted.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-04-10 05:21:13 pm
cak: 2013-04-10 05:20:21 pm
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Thanks all.
The verifiers are correct, this can only be improved by less than quarter of a second, though there's a glitch which could save several seconds per usage. Good luck mastering it. Tongue
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Congrats cak. BTW, I listened to some Unita Minima (there's not a lot on youtube), good stuff.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-04-15 05:45:45 am
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Very nice, glad you enjoyed them. If you ever wanna hear more, let me know.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-04-23 09:51:39 am
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Sorry for the bump...I reupped the comments with a bit of technical info. Also, the 5:02 flash vid on the game page isn't cueing up for some reason.

Thanks!
Wow cak, you totally blew away my old run (which wasn't all that good), and did it on an Atari 2600!  I agree 1000% that this run should obsolete my run.

And obviously, congratulations, and I hope you keep running Atari games.  I hope you obliterate my any% too. thumbsup

(Sorry I didn't offer to verify.  It's been a few years since I played Pitfall II, and I'm inherently lazy Roll Eyes  Looks like public verification works great though.)