Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Miles' run is WR.

The AGDQ schedule was decided, and Miles is running any% in it.
Get on my level!
That's awesome, I'm excited! Also thank you for the update, I'll be learning the category from his run as a source.
Edit history:
Gords: 2013-09-19 01:30:06 am
nvm
Update/DLC came out today. The clipping glitch still works, I did early Winged Pikmin without a hitch and backwards Formidable Oak still works as well. Doesn't seem they fixed anything.
New patch/DLC today, and Pikmin 3 runners might want to hold off on it. There's two changes that affect speedrunning. First, falling out of bounds now damages you. When you respawn you lose 1/3 of your captain's HP. That means you can't fall out of bounds more than twice with the same captain anymore, or else you'll die. The other change is that the bridge skip in Garden of Hope doesn't work anymore. You can still fall out of bounds, but you'll respawn back in the river. You can't respawn on the opposite side of the bridge anymore.

I tested all the other major glitches (skipping Brittany, skipping the yellow Onion, skipping the Distant Tundra bridge, early Winged Pikmin, skipping the Twilight River bridge, the day 6 skips, Formidable Oak backwards). All of them still work. So it seems they only decided to patch the most minor skip in the game. The speedrun route should still work for the most part on the new version, but if you care about the ~30 seconds (total guess) saved by the bridge skip, you probably don't want to patch.
Hey guys I'm a long time lurker on this site but I recently became interested in speed running this game. Sorry for bumping an old thread but I feel this game is still somewhat new enough and relevant.

I want to attempt a glitchless 7-day run, mainly because I don't like the idea of a run becoming impossible once the game has been patched. So far I have the first 4 days down as they don't require a whole lot to reach the boss. However, Twilight River has been quite a problem without the early Winged glitch because building the 80 piece bridge takes a considerable amount of time no matter how I try to divide up the work. You need to build the whole thing because there's a massive invisible barrier on the other side if you don't.

So has anyone ever managed to beat the Scornet Maestro in a single day glitchless? I can't find any runs on YouTube of this because the Winged glitch was discovered so early on. Also I haven't done anything with day 6 so if anyone could confirm that one can be done glitchless as well, that'd be great.

Also by "glitchless" I only mean clipping/out-of-bounds glitches. I consider whistling captains and Pikmin past obstacles and into other areas as more of a trick than a glitch.
Pikmin 3 just got another patch adding stylus controls. If you're interested in running the game, do not patch. The Brittany skip on day 2 doesn't work anymore; the loading zone isn't there until you rescue her now. There might be other fixes as well; that's as far as I played.
Quote from PikminFan:
Hey guys I'm a long time lurker on this site but I recently became interested in speed running this game. Sorry for bumping an old thread but I feel this game is still somewhat new enough and relevant.

I want to attempt a glitchless 7-day run, mainly because I don't like the idea of a run becoming impossible once the game has been patched. So far I have the first 4 days down as they don't require a whole lot to reach the boss. However, Twilight River has been quite a problem without the early Winged glitch because building the 80 piece bridge takes a considerable amount of time no matter how I try to divide up the work. You need to build the whole thing because there's a massive invisible barrier on the other side if you don't.

So has anyone ever managed to beat the Scornet Maestro in a single day glitchless? I can't find any runs on YouTube of this because the Winged glitch was discovered so early on. Also I haven't done anything with day 6 so if anyone could confirm that one can be done glitchless as well, that'd be great.

Also by "glitchless" I only mean clipping/out-of-bounds glitches. I consider whistling captains and Pikmin past obstacles and into other areas as more of a trick than a glitch.

Here you go:

I did a 10 day run before and I didn't want to do any glitches just like you. Day 5 was extremely hard, but I did find something interesting: you can build 2/3 of the first bridge and then throw a captain towards the pink onion just to the left of the invisible wall. I couldn't get the rest of the day done in time however so I had to fall back on the glitch anyway.
But recently I managed to complete a 10 day all fruit run without using any glitches. Not even whistling past obstacles.
The only trick I use that some might consider a glitch is locking on and charge.
Y'er no match for me!
Are people still running this game? I've been wanting to pick this game up since I bought it months ago. I believe you're able to delete the current patch so Any% and All Fruits stuff won't be patched.
You're able to delete the patch, but you can't run the game if you do so. The only way is to not have your wiiu hooked up to the internet when you play the game. If you download the patch, you need to do a factory reset.
Y'er no match for me!
Quote from TheMG2:
You're able to delete the patch, but you can't run the game if you do so. The only way is to not have your wiiu hooked up to the internet when you play the game. If you download the patch, you need to do a factory reset.

So how would I go about doing that? I'd like to start playing it, but I have it at the most recent patch which obviously isn't the right one to use if I want to run it.
A factory reset gets rid of all data on the wiiu. You can redownload any software you paid for for free, but all game data will be lost, and you will need to redownload everything.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1723/p/431
Y'er no match for me!
Quote from TheMG2:
A factory reset gets rid of all data on the wiiu. You can redownload any software you paid for for free, but all game data will be lost, and you will need to redownload everything.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1723/p/431

Would I be able to backup save data via USB Drive if I formatted it through the WiiU? Just so I don't at least lose that. I'm not worried about losing the 3 digital games I own.
Y'er no match for me!
Well I did it anyways so my Pikmin 3 is base update. Now time to start learning the game!
Hi everyone !

I know this website for a long time ago but it is the first time I have the opportunity to post.
For a few months now, I'm working on a 100% Segmented Speedrun of this game. I'm finally done  with a time of 1:35:18, and I'm pretty satisfied with it !
This run was done on the v2.0.0, which is a lot faster for a 100% run, because this version allows you to skip the "pressing of fruits" cutscenes. This saves about 13:30 (If you're aiming for real time, of course).

Here is the video (HD avaible soon I hope) :

I appology for my bad English. :S
DS Dictator
Pikmin 3 is usually done in real time and that's pretty hilarious because if you want WR on both categories you'll have to format your Wii U everytime you want to do Any%*after completing some V2.0 100% runs.

*newest version tweaked the OoB spawn spots, especially the bridge skip in day 2 iirc
Edit history:
EcksDee: 2014-10-30 01:56:40 pm
New to speedrunning and this was my go to game to  start of kind of easy. But yeah, since v2.0 you can't do most of the major glitches and tricks. So I guess I'll start practise on 100% runs instead since I don't feel like losing all my data on my other games on my Wii U Smiley That will have to wait for a seperate speedrunning console.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Greetings everyone:

Thread seems to be going slowly lately so a bit of a rookie question won't hurt XD

Is there an alternate way of doing Winged Pikmin early in Twilight river that doesn't involve clipping? Something similar to the 2 Captain trick (insteadd of 3) in Tropical Wilds? Inerested in sequence break tricks that are not entirely clipping, dont ask (^_^)

What are the future prospects for runs in this game? Last time i checked runners were at 7 and 10 days.

Best of wishes to everyone.
Number of days doesn't look like its decreasing anytime soon, there are certain event triggers that make this not likely. Furthermore, the release of the patch has kinda discouraged runs.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Oh, this is sad to hear since it's a beautiful game to run and it produces very intertaining segments.

Thanks for the reply.
Edit history:
IceCube: 2015-01-10 07:02:24 am
Hello everyone!

I just finished an any% segmented run of Pikmin 3, on v2.0.0, with a time of 51:49.
I spent a lot less time on this run than on the 100% one, that's why some parts may look a bit improvable.
Here is the video:

After doing this run, I wanted to do a precise comparison between the 2 versions, for an any% speedrun. I used Miles' 55:41 Single Segment run and my own run to compare all the differences.

*The Brittany skip (only possible with old versions) allows you to save ~34s, but you lose ~10s clipping and falling ooB before the Boss.
-24s.

*The bridge skip (only possible with old versions) saves ~40s
However, with the bridge skip, you have to throw pikmins over the bridge after you obtained rocks, which make you lose ~9s.
The Mawdad fight is easily possible in 2 cycles instead of 3 without the bridge skip. Assuming you perform that (honestly it isn't difficult) it saves ~22s
So it seems that the bridge skip only saves ~9s! (I didn't counted the fact that if you don't do the bridge skip, you can grow more pikmins and make day 3 boss fight a bit easier. The Medusal Slurker fight may be easier and faster too..).
-9s

*On day 5, with v2.0, you lose ~2s each time you fall ooB (twice) because of the damage you take.
-4s.

*With v2.0, you have to do another strat for the trick with the paper bag near the winged pikmin onion, it makes you lose ~12s. However using an extra captain is useful to pluck pikmins faster...
Say it's -6s (hard to estimate)

*For days 1,2,3,4,5 and 6, the "drinking juice" cutscene is skippable with v2.0 It makes you save ~3s, 6 times.
+18s

*For day 3, the "pressing fruit" cutscene is skippable on v2.0
+9s
Also the end of day cutscene is skippable:
+10s

Finally, with those estimations, the v2.0 appears to be ~6s slower. However, I didn't counted the "instant pluck" trick! This trick allows you to pluck pikmins faster (cancelling the unearthing animation) on v2.0. For instance, on day 2, that trick saves ~5s plucking rock pikmins.. It also saves some time on other days but it is (once again) hard to estimate.

(And it is needless to say that v2.0 is MUCH faster for 100% runs, with all "fruit pressing" cutscenes that are skippable. v2,0 saves ~13 minutes on this type of runs)

SO!
Surprisingly, even if the bridge skip and the Britanny skip look awesome, v2.0 seems pretty equals than the previous versions, mainly because of some skippable cutscenes.
So the version of the game you own shouldn't be a problem for any% runs!

I wish there was more runners playing this game, whatever the version they own! Smiley Maybe there will be more in the future..!
Enemy HP info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S8pcHs7OklF-hZ2jxSJ3lRYLTRpTSCcJ2mUY1siZZHQ/
I've just finished a 64 pikmin 100% run !

This was done in less than 2 hours, with 0 pikmin deaths (it was obviously segmented).
I wonder how this could be lowered. The theorical minimum is 49 pikmins, but I'm wondering if it will be enough to collect all fruits on day 6. Other days could be a problem too.
I may be trying this later, but I'd like to try out some SS runs before !

Video :
Quote from luigi91:
Here you go:

I did a 10 day run before and I didn't want to do any glitches just like you. Day 5 was extremely hard, but I did find something interesting: you can build 2/3 of the first bridge and then throw a captain towards the pink onion just to the left of the invisible wall. I couldn't get the rest of the day done in time however so I had to fall back on the glitch anyway.
But recently I managed to complete a 10 day all fruit run without using any glitches. Not even whistling past obstacles.
The only trick I use that some might consider a glitch is locking on and charge.

Awesome, it's been almost a year since I asked about a glitchless run but it's great to see there finally is one. (Not sure what you mean by locking on and charging though, that's a crucial element of the game isn't it?)

Quote from IceCube:
I've just finished a 64 pikmin 100% run !

This was done in less than 2 hours, with 0 pikmin deaths (it was obviously segmented).
I wonder how this could be lowered. The theorical minimum is 49 pikmins, but I'm wondering if it will be enough to collect all fruits on day 6. Other days could be a problem too.
I may be trying this later, but I'd like to try out some SS runs before !

42 is actually the minimum with the out of bounds glitch when Yellows are discovered, 57 without it. Nice job though. Here's a run of it without collecting all the fruits, though the minimum for 100% should still still be the same since Candypop Buds can be used. It'd be great to see a run like that!