--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
DJS: 2016-12-02 01:53:16 pm
torch slug since 2006
I have a really strange issue with my Startech PEXHDCAP60L. When I first got it (late July 2016) it was fine, and everything worked just as you would expect. I could play PS4 games on my PC monitor through the AmarecTV preview without lag just fine, and the recordings were stunning.
But then alot of things happened:

- I got a XRGBmini/Framemeister and messed with 60.10 fps recording
- I reinstalled Windows a bunch of times after the 10 Anniversary Update (which I am currently running)
- I re-arranged my room
- I got a HDMI splitter
- I got a new TV
- ... and probably some other stuff I can't remember

and somewhere around here (late September I think), 1080p60 stopped consistently working. It still works, but not always, and I don't know what I do to make it work:

- The weeks from September until now: usually didn't work, and I didn't bother because I had nothing 1080p to capture at the time
- Last week it didn't work
- Then I downgraded my NVIDIA drivers to 368.81 and it started working, for that day
- The next day it didn't work
- The next day it did work
- The next day it did work (2 in a row, wow)
- The next day it didn't work...
- Today: it worked when I got home, then I quit Amarec and did some other stuff, And now, it doesn't work.

I recorded a video of me toggling through the video output resolutions on my PS4 here: https://twitter.com/djs__/status/799729643876155393 -- you can see that 720p and 1080i consistently works, but 1080p is just No Signal.
However, going into the driver settings page, you can see that it clearly recognizes the 1080p60 signal, it's just not showing:

(Also, analogue signals such as Composite, S-video, Component still work)

The pickle with all this is that it does work sometimes (I have proof here: - look at the upload date and video quality settings). Usually after completely shutting down my PC and shutting off the power strip, to make the PC completely powerless (well except the BIOS battery), and then booting it up it usually works. I'd say it's 50-50.
I can also get it to work sometimes by going into the driver settings page and toggling back and forth between the HDMI/DVI Bandwidth options, but not that often (maybe 2/10 times it works).
Once I got it to work by disabling my second monitor. Just once though, I tried it again and no dice.

Here are the things I have done to try and fix this:
- Change HDMI cables
- Hook up PS4/other 1080p device directly to the card, no splitters
- Change PCI slot
- Tried installing Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Didn't make a difference (currently settled on Windows 10 with the AU)
- Tried different Nvidia drivers (currently settled on 368.81)
- Disconnected HDD's in my PC
- Removed the OC on my CPU
- Re-overclocked my CPU
- Alot of PEXHDCAP60L/SC512/SA7160 drivers: before I reinstalled Windows I used 1.1.0.142 (doesn't help now). I have tried basically every driver available in Edenal's Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B5EWxszNBGpHV0hGRVUySF9QbzA and every driver I could find on StarTech's pages, and the ones on Micomsoft's page - rebooting PC after uninstalling and installing every time. Currently using 1.1.0.126.8.
- AmarecTV versions: 2.20c, 2.31, 3.10. Currently rocking 3.10.
- Ask on Twitter (no one seems to know)
- Googled alot. Found some threads on shmups about this card, and some issues on Reddit (freezing after 15 minutes), but I can't find anything similar to my issue.
- ...and probably some other stuff

I am in talks with the company I bought it from to see if I can get it exchanged or if I can return it (since it has a 2 year warranty), but I think I'm gonna ask them to not bother. It seems to me that it is just some kind of driver or other software issue.
Once 1080p60 works, it works really damn good. No black screens, or cutouts, or lag, or dropped frames. It works 100% perfect, and I can swap changes back and forth in Amarec without any problems.
Because of this, I don't think it's a hardware issue with the card itself or my HDMI splitter or anything. I feel like if it was a issue with the card or some bandwidth issues on my motherboard, I would get a lot of dropped frames, but I don't.

Here are my other PC Specs:
- Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Motherboard
- Intel i7 4770K (at 4.2 GHz for the moment)
- 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz Ram
- Various SSDs
- Various HDDs
- GTX 970
- Windows 10 with Anniversary Update x64

So if anyone has any ideas I'll gladly listen. I'll try anything. Kinda don't feel like throwing away a $250 capture card to buy a Elgato or Avermedia or something (although they are easy to use and does have passthru...)

EDIT: I have "solved" my problem by getting another capture card on black friday, an Elgato HD60S, which works great so far. Not sure what to do with the PEXHDCAP60L.
Thread title: