Penumbra Tech Demo (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'FPSDemoSpeedruns'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Penumbra Tech Demo (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/PenumbraTechDemo-20200315/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Looks like at 1:10 you have to enter the room to trigger the event with the monster, but also you hit the lever?

Is jumping faster or is that just an illusion?
Edit history:
FPSDemoSpeedruns: 2020-03-19 04:18:35 am
FPSDemoSpeedruns: 2020-03-19 04:13:30 am
Quote from LotBlind:
Looks like at 1:10 you have to enter the room to trigger the event with the monster, but also you hit the lever?

Is jumping faster or is that just an illusion?

No! I didn't mean to turn toward the lever, but the mouse accel sometimes screws your turning up so badly like that :\ Meant to turn directly 180 back to the door lol.

With full health, I've tested running VS jumping in the long hallway, and speeds are equal in all tests so far. But I know jumping & strafing boosts were implemented in later Penumbras, interestingly. With damaged health, I assume jumping adds speed...since your running slows down a bit every other second or so, and I think the jumping is partially countering it.
NOTES:

I would consider this a "glitchless" category run.

Gameplay run time = 01:58 and 06/60 frames.
Gameplay+loads run time = 02:19 and 27/60 frames.
The first run you submitted has been re-labeled to "with Large-skip glitches". This way of naming categories makes it consistent with other runs on SDA.
Okay, I think this run (as the other one) show signs of some investigation going into finding the optimal strategies. The game has mouse acceleration? I don't envy you. A/V has no issues.

accept!

PS: Yeah, we call glitchless runs "any%" mainly for practical reasons.
Quote from LotBlind:
...signs of some investigation going into finding the optimal strategies.

Do you think it's not optimized? Or you're just commenting that it's beyond what a basic-level, Day 1 run would look like?

Quote from LotBlind:
PS: Yeah, we call glitchless runs "any%" mainly for practical reasons.

Fine with me =p
I'm saying that there's evidence of having looked into things, like with the jumping being faster if you're running. You might have run the other Penumbra games too? Always happy to see high-quality runs, and I'm sure I'm not alone amongst our audience.

The execution is actually very good aside from the room with the lever (unless you had to wait for the door to be opened anyway), your mouse usage is very snappy and clean. I think someone could probably insert the codes even faster but it's definitely up to SDA standards as it is.
Edit history:
FPSDemoSpeedruns: 2020-03-20 11:47:30 am
FPSDemoSpeedruns: 2020-03-20 11:46:23 am
Quote from LotBlind:
You might have run the other Penumbra games too?.

Nah... Penumbra is my #1 scary game series, no question Smiley But I would never have the free time, skill, or memory to run a full, single-segment game like that lol. I'm trying to make demo running a thing, for people like me ;p

Quote from LotBlind:
The execution is actually very good aside from the room with the lever (unless you had to wait for the door to be opened anyway).

When you go in that storage room with the spotlight in the center, you have to go under the light, just about, or the enemy door sequence won't trigger. And door codes are a pain in the ash, with such strong mouse accel x_x
You might think about doing runs in segments then? A lot of people don't realize that's a possibility these days because they get exposed to speedrunning from the marathons and streamers who mostly all do SS runs. I don't do SS runs either for various reasons.

As you might know, we don't usually accept demo version runs but this isn't really the demo of a more fuller game.
Quote from LotBlind:
...we don't usually accept demo version runs...

!!! I see a great opportunity to change the game scene here!! ;P *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* If SDA won't do it, it might be someone else..!
Yeah, it's obviously just because demo versions seem to be the same but less in most cases. Feel free to post such videos in "casual speedrunning" on this site though. You never know if someone could be interested. In fact, I could be for certain games.

Actually "tech demo" isn't really what was ever meant by that demo version rule (which also encompasses alpha/beta builds most of the time), that was me confusing the issue.
I think demos are pretty neat little slices of playable history Smiley You get a version of the game that can have different movement/physics/sounds/etc from the full game, and often a cool game & company advertisement with no-longer-available websites & phone numbers! Some of them I can't even play with compatibility mode, since they are just way too old for today's specs, which is sad. Sad Demos are also FREE and small file size!
Yes, from a game historical point of view, those are obviously of some interest.
How are runs typically timed here..? From clicking 'start', until final action/press/crosshair disappearance?
Start of control to end of control. Long story short, I think it makes the most sense but is often less convenient than clicking "start"/"new game" which is why only SDA tends to do it that way.
Decision posted.