Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
I don't know how the health and attack damage of monsters and bosses compares to yours, but maybe some bosses could be tricked into killing themselves by attacking you while you're touching them. It's a pity none of them have insta-kill attacks (as far as I recall).

Quote:
Edit 2: Also, what happens if you finish off a boss with an explosive attack that also kills you? We know that the demon morph at the end of boss fights is skippable for Alastor using the glitch that makes him vanish, at least, and in cyody's video Alastor seems to die at the exact moment that the player would have died otherwise. At the very least, testing how the script that tries to demon morph you behaves if you die at the same instant as a boss seems like a worthwhile thing to do.

These both quotes contain things I thought about as well when I watched RJ19's bugged Alastor video.
I haven't tested it yet though. Will do. I need to figure out that Alastor bug...
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-09-10 05:02:35 pm
Edit 2: Also, what happens if you finish off a boss with an explosive attack that also kills you? We know that the demon morph at the end of boss fights is skippable for Alastor using the glitch that makes him vanish, at least, and in cyody's video Alastor seems to die at the exact moment that the player would have died otherwise. At the very least, testing how the script that tries to demon morph you behaves if you die at the same instant as a boss seems like a worthwhile thing to do.

I've checked this on the Insomnia difficulty (For easier checking, but the difficulty shouldn't matter I think) with Alastor and it seems to have no effect. Here's a video of it.

Now to check the touching thing...

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that a bug is known where Alastor walks outside of the tower, this is actually quite easy to reproduce. After the first fall stand somewhere in the corner of the edge and then wait, Alastor will get bugged at some point and will keep turning on the same spot. It may be needed to move a tiny bit so that he'll start turning more on/towards the edge. When he goes over the edge he'll fall down 1 floor and will keep on attacking you from there (He can't hit you but you can hear the sound he makes). I also tried to see what happened if you damage him enough (So that he would destroy the floor) when he would go over the edge, but then he just kept walking below the floor...
Any updates on this run?
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-11-03 07:55:29 am
Nope...

And there likely won't be any if I can't figure out the Alastor bug.
Hmm, I completely forgot about checking the "touching thing" ExplodingCabbage was talking about, will check soon.

EDIT: I forgot for some time again to check it, but now I've checked it a bit. Either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't seem to do anything.
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2010-02-15 04:24:05 am
Quote from TheVoid:
I've played the original Painkiller and Battle out of Hell. RJ19 did a good job but unfortunately they didn't go up on SDA, so yes please run them and submit Wink

WTF? And how the heck is that? This speedrun went on a german gaming magazine, and did not went to SDA?

You have to be fucin kiddin me? It has everything it needs to be in SDA, what's the problem?

RJ19 has earned his reputation in Painkiller universe as one of the greatest.
I can't listen to this schit "not SDA approved" - can we make it happen?

Quote from Bryant:
Any updates on this run?

Why hell yes - i have been competing with RJ19 and kalme back in 2005/6 in dreamcatcher forums and now that i see the thread has been ressurected - let's say i am back again!

Void, i am amazed at your determination after 3 years to continue the speedrun, let's continue this then!
I am so glad you are hosting the speedrun in SSDQ! This is great news!
Quote from Artas1984:
WTF? And how the heck is that? This speedrun went on a german gaming magazine, and did not went to SDA?

You have to be fucin kiddin me? It has everything it needs to be in SDA, what's the problem?

RJ19 has earned his reputation in Painkiller universe as one of the greatest.
I can't listen to this schit "not SDA approved" - can we make it happen?

I'm not sure what the exact reason was but it probably had something to do with the quality of the videos, I think, SDA is strict about that.
But also Kalme's mod isn't allowed for SDA (Hence why I ran the Chapter 5 levels on Nightmare instead of Trauma).

Quote:
Why hell yes - i have been competing with RJ19 and kalme back in 2005/6 in dreamcatcher forums and now that i see the thread has been ressurected - let's say i am back again!

Awesome Smiley

Quote:
Void, i am amazed at your determination after 3 years to continue the speedrun, let's continue this then!

The same problem for me still remains, I can't reproduce the Alastor bug Undecided Maybe the level should just be run normally then...

Quote:
I am so glad you are hosting the speedrun in SSDQ! This is great news!

Yeah I just wanted to backup those runs in a safe spot, unfortunately I don't have a fancy page like RJ19 to show them though Wink
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2010-02-21 05:17:49 am
A, i realized that Risto's speedrun was recorded on a very low resolution and quality is just awful - that is why..
Kalme's mod by all means should be allowed even for SDA, because without it Painkiller is just too buggy for any kind of challenge.

Alastor bug - i remember in dreamcatcher forums there was a talk about it, and we all decided that this is bad, so the regular time attack on Alastor should be done in a classic way.

I am not going do a whole PK speedrun, i will just do it on some of my favorite levels where i will beat Ristos time, that's my goal. I will respect Risto's speedrun and won't take away his achievement; besides i have my own PK achievements. But still there are some shortcuts still left in this game, those Risto has not used in his speedrun, and i am going to show them.

My first goal now will be to summarize all of the known shortcuts.
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2010-02-21 05:28:03 am
Quote from TheVoid:
I've always wanted to see some Painkiller runs on SDA, but unfortunately RJ19's runs didn't go up...
So I'm busy with it myself a bit and I've improved C1L2 so far with 6 seconds. It's absolutely not a final run yet but perhaps it'll spur some interest so that others will run some levels too Wink Here's the video.

Very nice! And you think you will imporve this? Gosh, what a determination! I did a 2:21 run, but now i see that this level is yours Grin

Quote from TheVoid:
I think it's safe to say that C5L3 "Old Monastery" has been entirely destroyed Wink
I've made a testrun of the level with a time of 0:56. I was surprised myself that I only needed to kill the second guy near the end...

Here's the video.

Also, notice something strange in the stats screen at the end (I'm not talking about the "Card unlocking status")? It's a bit tricky to read the numbers since x264 has problems with the color red.

EDIT: Apparently I also killed the first guy just barely when I went past him (You can see the kill counter increase at that very moment).

OMG, i do not believe what i am seeing!!! This is the most awesome shortcut i have seen + it is totally new for everyone!!!
After this my personal speedrun of "Old Monastery" in 2:09 is totally useless...
I will definitely include your new shortcut in my server collection.

Well now, when will you present the "City On Water" run, Void?
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2010-02-21 02:13:56 pm
Quote from Artas1984:
Very nice! And you think you will imporve this? Gosh, what a determination! I did a 2:21 run, but now i see that this level is yours Grin

It can be improved a bit, the fighting wasn't too good Wink

Quote:
Well now, when will you present the "City On Water" run, Void?

Err, not sure. My current run has very bad fighting, it needs to be improved first Wink But the route is exactly the same as RJ19's run.

EDIT: Alright, managed to get a 0:54 for Ruins.

Getting another second off of it will be pretty tricky.
Invisible avatar
Love the Monastery run.
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2011-01-18 10:32:11 am
Artas1984: 2011-01-18 10:30:11 am
Artas1984: 2011-01-02 08:40:39 pm
Artas1984: 2010-03-08 03:48:00 pm
Ok, i have some speedruns for now, but i have problems with fraps: something happened that in every game i turn, i get horrible FPS.. So it will take time to get fraps in working order and make more runs.

Cemetery 2:03:

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/cemetery.avi

There was a shortcut i found in this level a few years ago - c1l1_shortcut_1, but never did a speedrun with it, cause i had no motivation, and last time the shortcut resulted in a bug, by which the doors would not open to the church. I waited and then found even a greater shortcut  - c1l1_shortcut_2 - a painkiller-jump, "more of an opportunity one"..
I could get that Cemetery speedrun easy below 2 minutes, if had jumped directly into the church through the window, but whatever...

Castle 1:31:

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/castle.avi

It was i who originally found c4l1_shortcut_2 here and showed it first to the DC community. After that cyody did a speedrun of Castle in 1:39 by executing this shortcut.
That got me jealous and mad! There is no fucin way somebody is gonna beat me with my own shortcut in my favorite level! So i did beat cyody again by 8 seconds, though the run can be improved - climbing was difficult. Single segment.

Babel 4:36:

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/babel.avi

Since i found a very first shortcut in Babel just in recent days, i could not resist to speedrun this level. Recorded in 2 segments - first is till the 3:48 (video time), what would be the checkpoint 3:33 (game time). The shortcut is seriously hard and takes many attempts. I was very lucky with the first part of the segment - i have got very little damage from templars, managed to kill all the templars on the stairs with one shot and fell down from the stairs with no damage. I also have got to the crushing blocks in 1:50 which is a perfect time and managed to run through them in 17 seconds. What delayed  me were those scattered Arabian warriors...

Holy......... Shocked
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2011-01-02 08:33:03 pm
Artas1984: 2011-01-02 08:32:50 pm
Artas1984: 2011-01-02 08:31:58 pm
Artas1984: 2010-03-08 03:52:58 pm
More runs..

Opera 2:19:

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/opera.avi

The shortcut that RJ19 found in this level is just staggering - before you "use" it, you can only take a single income of damage, because after the "use" of the shortcut you fall down and end up with 1 HIT POINT! Hence, i am just glad i made this level at all and even beated RJ19 just by 2 pathetic seconds Tongue

Bridge 4:24

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/bridge.avi

My goal was to speedrun this level in a different way than RJ19..
There are 3 things which separate my run versus Risto's:

1) i pick up missile and frost ammo in the beginning - that saves some decent amount of time in the end when you have to think what weapons should you use against the loki. RJ19 made a mistake by not picking up that ammo.

2) i run stairs up the bridge without stop, just spinning my painkiller blades and slashing every ninja in my way hoping not to touch an explosive barrel... RJ19 wasted precious time killing those ninjas first and then running. Somehow i managed to run even without getting hurt - lucky me!

3) RJ19 was very lucky that he did not had to kill all the monsters in the tunnel where the crane falls; he killed just 3 monsters and then a bug happened that opened the door to the "air tunnel". I had to make all the kills before i was to enter into the "air tunnel", so i basically have got a time penalty, but even with this "normal way" i managed to beat RJ19 - could not believe it. If i had experienced the same bug as RJ19, i could have saved some 10 seconds more.. Next time...

Prison 1:26:

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/prison.avi

RJ19 does not even have this level in his speedrun! Geezz, somebody had to finally make it...
And make it the modern way - peppins discovered a massive shortcut in the beggining, which i obviously used to my advantage..
I bet peppins will want to beat me in this level.. Hehe...
Edit history:
nsf001: 2010-03-02 03:40:47 pm
Is it ok to use the RL before run through the Trainstation level? Roll Eyes
Quote from nsf001:

I was going to discuss this matter actually! I wanted to remind you that by the rules of speedrunning  - if you fail to register a time in a level, for example can not beat the swamp boss in less than one minute when you fight him the first time, then after you finish the further levels, you can return to the previous level and register your time with the new "acquired stuff" - it means you can return to the swamp level and beat the boss with whatever weapons or cards you like. That is how the developers intended this game to be in the first place. So hell yes - you can use the rocket launcher even in Atrium, though you start with 5 rockets by default.

The only level where this rule does not apply is the very first one - Cemetery.
Those are some nice runs Artas1984.
I likely won't continue with running this game since your fighting is way better than I could do. I hope you can properly capture the stuff and submit it to SDA Wink

Lately I was a bit busy with Cathedral and my best time has been a 6:21 (Which is 7 seconds too slow). Main troublesome part is the end part which was always sucky for me...
Quote from nsf001:

Well, there's really only two sensible approaches here:

1) Have a NG run, in which case the rocket launcher (and other weapons) can't be used until picked up. Since the availability of weapons on any given level then depends upon what's been grabbed in levels before, this can no longer be an IL run and has to be a segmented run instead.
2) Have an NG+ IL run, with all weapons available.

Artas1984: Just in case you don't know, if you want to submit this to SDA as an IL run (where everyone can improve individual levels rather than redoing the whole run) you'll have to do each level in its own segment. So you'll need to redo Babel if you want to submit as an IL run. Also that speedo mod probably won't be SDA-legal.

Amazing runs, by the way, hugely impressed and would love to see this completed.
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2010-03-03 09:41:36 am
Quote from TheVoid:

I likely won't continue...

Nonsense. I won't do this whole thing alone; i don't even have the motivation to do runs in those levels, where there are no shortcuts.
You know Void, we can do this "trauma" run together.. Half levels mine, half yours. How about it?

Artas1984: Just in case you don't know, if you want to submit this to SDA as an IL run (where everyone can improve individual levels rather than redoing the whole run) you'll have to do each level in its own segment. So you'll need to redo Babel if you want to submit as an IL run. Also that speedo mod probably won't be SDA-legal.

IL run? Translate that please.. But anyway of course Painkiller speedrun is meant to be done in whatever way you want!
You don't have to begin with Cemetery.. As i said before - you can speedrun Forest, then return with all of your weapons in the previous levels and improve them - this has been discussed and approved in the past in dreamcatcher and dark's corner forums.

So you'll need to redo Babel if you want to submit as an IL run.

So what a bout Babel? It has to be done as a single segment by SDA rules? I don't get it here...

Also that speedo mod probably won't be SDA-legal.

What are you talking about?  If you are referring to the "SPEEDMETER", in the bottom of my videos, so that thing is there just to show at what speed i am bunnyhoping - that thing is the default part of the game, you are clearly confusing something... This is not some kind of cheat or mod. Just as there a command to show the FPS, so there is a command to show the speed of the movement...
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2010-03-05 06:32:44 am
Quote from Artas1984:
You know Void, we can do this "trauma" run together.. Half levels mine, half yours. How about it?

That's a possibility Smiley Now and then I shall try some levels a bit.

Quote:
IL run? Translate that please.. But anyway of course Painkiller speedrun is meant to be done in whatever way you want!
You don't have to begin with Cemetery.. As i said before - you can speedrun Forest, then return with all of your weapons in the previous levels and improve them - this has been discussed and approved in the past in dreamcatcher and dark's corner forums.

IL stands for Individual Level.

Quote:
So what a bout Babel? It has to be done as a single segment by SDA rules? I don't get it here...

IL runs are indeed levels done in a single segment. You did Cemetery and Babel in 2 segments which wouldn't be acceptable for an IL table on SDA.
It's actually pretty tricky to notice if another segment was used... Except in Babel where you nicely go to the checkpoint Wink

EDIT: Here's a little something I just found.

Doing Forest in a different way.

Don't mind the extremely crappy playing since it was more of a quick testrun, and don't mind the inability of performing the second part of the shortcut either, Fraps seems to enhance the difficulty... The level also has a high chance of crashing when you're recording with Fraps, which is annoying.
The game also goes a bit in slowmotion when the portal has been activated.

It's probably better to grab the rocket boxes just before the first gate instead of the ones in the back like I did in the video.
You can activate the final part and then shoot a rocket against the second gate to kill the 2 skeletons behind it, that'll lower the gate and then you can shoot against the first gate. But you still need to kill some enemies in the end part.
Also, don't get too many kills Grin When you've got something like 50+ kills, the portal will disappear.

Anyway, with a bit of testrunning I had a 1:17 once. But with more polishing you can likely get around 1 minute.
This was just to show the method. I've noticed (A while ago) that when you activate a part you need to kill a certain amount of enemies, but it doesn't matter which enemies you kill as long as you get the right amount. So that proved useful in this level Smiley
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2011-01-21 01:27:41 am
Artas1984: 2010-03-08 03:52:34 pm

Quote from TheVoid:

EDIT: Alright, managed to get a 0:54 for Ruins.

Getting another second off of it will be pretty tricky.

Yes indeed, non of us managed to get him below 55 seconds.
Looks like you have found the infamous Thor bug - some of the know PK community members already have recorded videos with this bug, but 54 seconds is the best time so far..
You have to do the Swamp boss below 39 in order to beat me though if you are to make a speedrun there Wink RJ19's time is quite bad for Swamp...
I never managed to beat Alastor in Tower in less than 3 minutes though..
Necrogiant in Enclave - my record was 60 seconds, i doubt i can reach this time myself now...

Quote from TheVoid:

EDIT: Here's a little something I just found.

Doing Forest in a different way.

Tully Void you are a genius!!! I always thought that you must kill the witches in order to finish the level, but you have proven, that only the kill count matters.
Now, we must both do this run the flawless way..
Edit history:
Artas1984: 2010-03-08 03:51:07 pm
Thank's to The Void, i used the newest Forest tactics to my advantage.

Forest 0:59

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/forest.avi

I have also improved Snowy Bridge run. This improvement happened due to the fact, that i have got the chain fence open to the air tunnel.

Bridge 4:16

http://artas1984.b4net.lt/games/painkiller/videos/artas1984/speedrun/bridge.avi
Nice job.

I got a 0:56 for Forest.

Now go improve Wink
Here's my run on Forest in 0:54  Roll Eyes

http://www.filefront.com/15899665/Forest_054.avi/

I think that there is still room for improvement since I shot some useless rockets....
Hi there, got a question for you: why is it that Painkiller still doesn't have a speedrun even if it came out 5 years ago and that it looks like an awesome game to run?

Thanks!
I don't think it's a good game to speedrun. Killing lots of enemies in order to proceed further tend to be boring after a while.