Sad
<- 1  -   of 28 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
It's filefront and it's been awhile, so they expired.

This is more in response to what you said in the Wii thread, but I don't want to make an extra post. I've always said, PS2 Okami makes for one of the best NG runs to watch for people who haven't even played the game yet. The visuals and music are fantastic, and all the speedrunning negatives like invisible barriers and unskippable cutscenes and everything, turn into positives. There's all sorts of minor stuff too, like you will think it's impressive that the runner stays at low health all the time, when actually it's not.
Boo, I typed up something and then the verification code thing ate it.

reduced version:

I'm not sure unskippable cutscenes are "positives" necessarily because the text scrolling is still ridiculously fast, there are so many of them, and the sequence breaks make the story more than a little hard to follow.  I found the platforming to be the most impressive rather than the combat because not having played it, it's kind of all a garble (plus a lot of exorcism slips).

In that vein, I think platforming games (or games with a focus on platforming) are the most fun to watch if you haven't played the games.  Okami's still a great run to watch though -- and it reminded me how much I had wanted to play Okami.  If I didn't have the possibility of playing it, I think it'd be a bit frustrating to watch -- but I think that's the difficulty of watching rpg/adventure speedruns of games one hasn't seen.
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
This was probably already posted, but... What happened to the Okami page?
boss
It was removed, due to my request.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hah, lucky me I beat it yesterday and checked some of the segments out right after, before they were taken down.
Is there ANY way to get ahold of the old run, or even a single segment of the old run?  I'm trying to get screenshots of Yami, for comparison between Wii and PS2 versions, but Youtube quality is not very much to my liking, and I wouldn't know where else to look.
SS - sucky speedrunner
I can show you where they are but I don`t know if groobo would like it.. ;>
boss
Why possibly would you need a screenshot from a half-assed speedrun for visual quality comparison?
It isn't visual quality comparison.  The whole video is for comparison, because...

1.  I've watched the Wii version and I swear that Yami has been nerfed for the Wii release.  He seems to die much faster.

2.  Yami's fourth form.  I remember it looking different in the PS2 version.  His 'head' or core seems to behave differently.

Again, I can't find a good video of the PS2 version's fight.  And the screenshots are for a game I'm running.  >_>;;
boss
I don't have the videos anymore so you're on your own here.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Or you can go to archive Diez.

http://www.archive.org/details/Okami_91921
Thank you.  Grin
:(
I just noticed that we don't have a run up on SDA at the moment, I was *this* close to making a new thread but I decided to look first ^_^

Any plans for a redo of the PS2 run?  Just got this game last night, so I wouldn't be a good candidate for doing the run, but SOMEONE has to do it ^_^
boss
Maybe not "redo" the run, but I'll be filling the NG+ large glitched skips oob olololo shit category soon (not really).
Are there any movies of the glitches that have been discovered?
boss
Not AFAIK. There are also some time saving glitches I discovered way after nearly finishing my last run that I never even mentioned in here.
Edit history:
groobo: 2009-03-30 02:05:54 pm
boss
For anyone interested - I just finished planning a new run, which will hopefully get submitted here (finally). The reason for planning everything again is the fact that I found a way to glitch into the ark of yamato early. This means I can skip everything required to get mist (sei'an, sunken ship, imperial gardens) and basically run straight to the ark after getting to kamui (wep'keer, yoshpet, 100 years in the past, wawku shrine - all skipped). My wild estimate is that this saves more than thirty minutes, though I'll be doing a test run this week just so I can be a bit more precise about it. I'll start recording soon.

edit:

I dunno, maybe it is possible to nail a sub 2h on a console (loading times are way lower on an emulator than on a real console - the first two segments made a full minute difference already) when optimized and after eliminating a stupid planning mistake I made during this test run which cost me about two minutes flat.
i'm interested to see this.  I loved the game and can't believe a 2 hr run is possible ... since it took me like 30 hrs to beat it my first playthrough Smiley
Waiting hurts my soul...
Just now playing through this game, and I remembered there being a run here, but I see that it was taken down, so I'm looking forward to the NG+ run.
Quote from groobo:
For anyone interested - I just finished planning a new run, which will hopefully get submitted here (finally). The reason for planning everything again is the fact that I found a way to glitch into the ark of yamato early. This means I can skip everything required to get mist (sei'an, sunken ship, imperial gardens) and basically run straight to the ark after getting to kamui (wep'keer, yoshpet, 100 years in the past, wawku shrine - all skipped). My wild estimate is that this saves more than thirty minutes, though I'll be doing a test run this week just so I can be a bit more precise about it. I'll start recording soon.

edit:

I dunno, maybe it is possible to nail a sub 2h on a console (loading times are way lower on an emulator than on a real console - the first two segments made a full minute difference already) when optimized and after eliminating a stupid planning mistake I made during this test run which cost me about two minutes flat.

This does look pretty exciting, since the route will probably be totally different (compared the last one you posted) with a thousand new KT glitch tricks. I'd be interested to know how you got into the Ark of Yamato early. I've messed around with the KT glitch myself (mostly just to explore) and I've been able to get on top of the ark, but that sounds like a neat one as well.

On a somewhat related note, how did you manage to get Okami running at a playable speed on PCSX2? Do you just have a really powerful PC? I've been keeping up to date with the SVNs and all that but I've run into some pretty considerable slowdown in some parts of the game.
boss
Yeah, I'm pretty much doing the first third of the game completely out of order.

The idea of getting into the ark early was that perhaps the trigger which warps you into it is there before you kill the owls. Problem was that the position is pretty precise and it requires a TON of kt glitches, so I didn't feel like testing it on the ps2 - that changed once I figured I can run okami at full speed on pcsx2, which supports savestates. I also tried doing the same to get into oni island, but the trigger just isn't there.

I'm on a Q6600, hd4850, and 2gb ram rig - the rest doesn't matter. If you want to run the game at 60fps just download the latest svn and use the plugins it comes with (test which setup is best for you). Also get into the fixes menu, turn on the 2x speed hack and the 60fps limit - works wonders.
Edit history:
tuomii: 2009-05-15 08:08:11 am
I've been traying like an hour now to perform that kt glitch jump, but I can't get it right. I'm starting to think that it's not possible on wii or else i'm doing something wrong. btw groobo are you still planning to do a ng+ run Smiley 

edit: it was kinda easy to do it ones I got it right. It is only possible to jump one time in mid-air cause you can't dash in the air a second time. Remember I play this game on wii.   
Edit history:
BlueGlass: 2009-05-23 10:56:19 pm
Yep yep yep!
I've been playing a lot of Okami again recently and have discovered some tricks/strategies that would be extremely useful for anyone doing a NG run.

I was inspired to post all this when I downloaded and watched Groobo's NG run off of archive.  After finally watching the thing, I can see why he wanted it removed.  At least a half hour could probably be cut from that with just some better planning and a bit more effort.

First of all, steel fist sake.  The stuff doubles attack power of physical attacks and cherry bombs (not sure if it has an effect on any other brush strokes, but it does nothing to power slash or exorcism slips) for thirty seconds, drawing time not counted.  Using it can seriously speed up the Waka fights, all four canine warriors, Rao, Nagi, and Yami.

Secondly, exorcism slip Ms.  They're noticeably cheaper than the Ls and oftentimes kill things just as well, especially early in the run when money is a concern.  For example, all types of wheel enemies die to a single ex slip M.

Next, a speed trick.  In moon cave, in the room with the sand where you have to roll the stone ball by dashing it repeatedly, instead of doing that, you canrun straight to the exit door, walk partway through it, position Ammy so that you can see the pool of water in the next room, make a cherry bomb, use waterspout to defuse the cherry bomb, and roll the defused bomb onto the switch.  It's really neat and saves a minute of frustrating ball-rolling.

Also, Orochi himself can be killed with exorcism slips.  During the last phase, any drunk head will be hurt by an exorcism slip.  So far, I've only managed to get three heads drunk at once, but more testing is required to see if four is possible or not.  In the first fight, two Ms will kill a head, while the second and third require an M and an L.

Continuing the boss fights, both Wakas and the canine warriors go down extremely quickly to well-placed steel fist sake-powered cherry bombs.

Evil Rao can be killed in seconds by stunning her with an ex-slip, veil of mist, steel fist sake, and a few fully-charged gold dusted glaive jump attacks.

Nagi needs two or three ex-slips for the same effect, because he recovers from them ridiculously fast.

Also, during the crimson helm fight, his armor can be removed with an ex-slip S.  And it just so happens that a chest less than a second out of the way of the path to him contains an ex-slip S.  Very handy and saves money.

Finally, Yami.  His last phase (and possibly parts of phases two and four, but I'm not positive) goes significantly faster using steel fist sake, veil of mist, gold dust, fully-charged glaive jump attacks than 20+ ex-slip Ls.

A few more speed tricks:

(think this one is known) in Tsutsa ruins, after getting vine, leave the room the way you came in and use the flowers outside to vine up.  Just before landing on the flower outside the door, vine to the flower at the top of the room, and you can skip the long, annoying cutscene showing where you're supposed to go.

Anytime fighting yellow imps, immediately blot them with ink.  This stops them from burrowing.  If you have cherry bomb, use it to stun them instantly afterwards.  Otherwise, wait for the ink to wear off, and they usually follow up with the leap-back-and-shoot-an-explosion-out-of-the-drum move, stunning them.

When returning to Kamiki after Gale Shrine, purposefully turn it to night when going to the mermaid spring in Taka Pass.  The nighttime cutscene is skippable here because you've seen it before.  The auto-night scene if you reach Kamiki during daytime  is never skippable, even on the Wii version.

(think this one is known) in Moon Cave, vining quickly enough in the room with all the Konohana blossoms lets you skip an annoying cutscene.

Also in Moon Cave, in the room where you get the second key, some tricky camera manipulation will let you melt the chest at the back of the room (containing an ex-slip L).  Not sure this would actually be useful or not.

Between the four black imps in Moon Cave, the ghosts in the sunken ship, and one more enemy (or a loading screen, if you're playing on the PS2), have twenty demon fangs when you beat Blight and get the peace bell from the emperor.  The time saved not having to avoid demon scrolls is more than the time it takes to get the item.

Use an inkfinity stone (can be gotten in imperial palace) during the Kaguya digging game to speed it up.

(think this one is known) Oni Island, at the very beginning, raise the lava geyser before jumping down and leap onto it as it rises to skip a cutscene.

(think this one is known) Oni Island again, in the room after the side view part, skip the first "go this way" cutscene by jumping on top of the sliding doors in the middle of the room, and dash jumping from there to the first set of lightning platforms.

(presumably, this one is known, but all I have to go on is Groobo's NG run) in Wawku, after riding the geyser up, dash jump straight to the area with the catwalk statue.  Also, stepping on the button at the top of the ramp there is a complete waste of time.

Also, any potntial runners would obviously want to do the Wii version because of the faster load times, faster (potentially) painting, and of course the skippable cutscenes.

If I find anything else that isn't already somewhere else in this topic, I'll add it.

On a side note, just to show how much faster the game goes without cutscenes, on my experimental playthrough, where I found a lot of this stuff and played around a bit trying to find other stuff, my time was about five and a half hours.
boss
I'd say 30 minutes is an exaggeration - I'll be surprised if it gets improved by more than 15 minutes. I can't comment on any of the things you pointed out since none of this applies to ng+ (or is already known if it does) which is the only thing I know. There's one thing though: Oni Island after the side view part - you can "sink" the camera under the floor near the locked door and place a cherry bomb behind the wall, skipping basically the whole area. I'm sure I could point out more stuff, though I don't remember my ng run at all. Good luck to anyone who tries doing this.
Yep yep yep!
Thanks for the info on Oni Island.  Also, I just discovered that you can take out four Orochi heads at a time if you make them do the slamming attack instead of the lunge attack.  And another trick for Wawku, after going back inside post blizzard, once you freeze the first fire spider and climb up it, the cutscene just after that can be skipped by jumping over the platform railing and going around the trigger.

By the way, how is your NG+ run coming, or are you busy with other stuff right now?