--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AbesOddysee.html

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sam 'Samtastic' Locke!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/37734a0cd5a69fc7cfb29f555b8414a9656f48e83425a0abe343d88b62343a9a-v_IQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
So how does the new IGT compare to the old SDA timing? Your current record looks to be 0:41:24. If this was timed using that old method, how fast would it be, any idea?

The Masturbator strat eh? That one usually amounts to a bit of a time-waster but I'm... looking forward to what you've done with it here! XD
Edit history:
Samtastic: 2021-11-25 05:55:39 am
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
The new timing method is done whilst doing the run itself. The Autosplitter on the Livesplit only counts in-game movements. It pauses between loading and screen transitions. The timer stops on first and second save too. If you save after a third time the timer won’t stop.
You can watch the live run here to see how the timer works
A/V: I checked your video framerate and it's 30, but I'm seeing the game running at 60 FPS in some other videos on YouTube. Is that done using a hack or is 60 the native framerate?

Okay, so the video has a failed attempt until 7:22. With that out the way, the new run is in the order of 4 minutes faster than the old one's SDA time, whatever that means. I think the last run from 2020 already had faster loading times when you upgraded your PC.

10:49 - This skip is new I think? Looks a little too easy to only find out about it now, to be honest with you. Maybe it's critical to do at a specific frame time too? Although I doubt you would have went for some small frame-perfect time saver like that so late into the run. And you do the same thing later again... and using a different method at 11:28. Maybe that one was already a thing though?

24:48 - Here is where the reset to prevent a crash happens. Actually 40:46 has the same. It shows the LiveSplit window briefly but not a big deal.

Compared to, say, 5 years ago, would you say this run is far more difficult to pull off or not really? I'm curious to what degree the new strategies are just new because no-one had tried them before and to what degree because no-one wanted to try to incorporate them into a run before?
Quote from LotBlind:
A/V: I checked your video framerate and it's 30, but I'm seeing the game running at 60 FPS in some other videos on YouTube. Is that done using a hack or is 60 the native framerate?

Okay, so the video has a failed attempt until 7:22. With that out the way, the new run is in the order of 4 minutes faster than the old one's SDA time, whatever that means. I think the last run from 2020 already had faster loading times when you upgraded your PC.

10:49 - This skip is new I think? Looks a little too easy to only find out about it now, to be honest with you. Maybe it's critical to do at a specific frame time too? Although I doubt you would have went for some small frame-perfect time saver like that so late into the run. And you do the same thing later again... and using a different method at 11:28. Maybe that one was already a thing though?

24:48 - Here is where the reset to prevent a crash happens. Actually 40:46 has the same. It shows the LiveSplit window briefly but not a big deal.

Compared to, say, 5 years ago, would you say this run is far more difficult to pull off or not really? I'm curious to what degree the new strategies are just new because no-one had tried them before and to what degree because no-one wanted to try to incorporate them into a run before?

Everything is new and yes I had to save and load at Scrabania and Zulag 1 to prevent the game from crashing and yes this run is harder to pull off.
Answer the question about the framerate: What is the game's native framerate? Is there an option in-game to set it or is it the same for everyone playing?
Quote from LotBlind:
Answer the question about the framerate: What is the game's native framerate? Is there an option in-game to set it or is it the same for everyone playing?

I use DXWind so I can run the game in a window. It runs usually at 30fps but I recorded the game at 720p 60fps. There’s a setting in DXWind as far as I’m aware to set the frame rate but I have it set to automatic.
Okay, the window thing I believe was brought up before and we said okay to that. However, the video you supplied us has 30fps, not 60. Your YouTube upload that you pointed at similarly has just 30 FPS. I found this video earlier that at least claims to have 60 FPS but I don't know if it actually does. That's the reason I started to question whether 30FPS was actually the native framerate.
Check this image here, I stream at 60fps.

Attachment:
Yeah, you might stream at 60fps but the recording you sent us is at 30 fps. I don't know why there's a difference. I mean you can see this for yourself by right-clicking on it, choosing "properties" and going to the "details" tab. It says 30.0 there.

Anyway, the video I saw on youtube really has 30 fps. So nevermind any of this.

Accept! (let's remember to remove the extra at the start...)
Decision posted.