Smiley
Sad
<- 12345
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Mega Kewl thon I watched some of it even commentated two runs and I enjoyed all the FrankerZ It's just people showing their love and it drowns out useless "discussions" like video games r They Art ???? question mark and and what finalefantasiesies do you like Imo a good stream chat but more importantly a good stream, GJ
Quote from Chumlum:
Mega Kewl thon I watched some of it even commentated two runs and I enjoyed all the FrankerZ It's just people showing their love and it drowns out useless "discussions" like video games r They Art ???? question mark and and what finalefantasiesies do you like Imo a good stream chat but more importantly a good stream, GJ

i coulddnt agree more...... <3
I just wanted to say I had tons of fun participating in this marathon.  As someone who did some of the commentary and donation reading, the chat was overwhelmingly positive and encouraging.  I think that this whole "chat quality" issue will eventually lead to a better outcome for all future marathon chats.  Major shoutouts to mikwuyma, Breakdown, and mike89 for being really receptive to these changes, and just being all around classy and awesome people. 

And thanks so much to EVERYONE who was involved in the marathon, the planners, runners, chat mods, chatters, donators, commentators.. everyone really came through on all sides to make something really special happen in my opinion.  And here's looking forward to AGDQ for another amazing marathon!! <3
great post Breakdown. i'm a huge fan of good commentary (nice job Lee + Carl for that YI commentary, also funkdoc as usual making things exciting). great job in general to everybody else who organized + ran in this.
All points given, I just wish, in order to, simply, cut down on the sheer amount of chat that becomes way overwhelming, that Slow Mode could've been used more. Not the current slow mode! but a tweaked one where it's like six seconds between chats at least. (An experiment with various seconds would be ideal.) Really not sure how that would ever be tinkered with. I know there's a universal restriction by default, of like three seconds. Maybe this special mode could be called half slow mode.

~diplomatic libraudity

Anyway I'm not good at much, in aftermaths like this, besides trying to get across ambitious points that I don't often see being discussed---like within the above paragraph. But I did comment during a SM64 donation with, "I'm glad you all exist," which is a very caffeinated thing to say, hahe, but oh so perfect for the time and non-regrettable for the future.
Fantastic Marathon guys, it was a lot of fun to watch. For chat I'd just like to say that compared to a fighting game tournament chat this was nothing. In a tournament chat nobody talk at any points it's just whining and spamming. Here the spamming that only when encouraged by the stream, like Sluip's door 6 or the FrankerZ a few runners asked for. I don't normally participate in spam like that but it was all for fun. It's true that if you are used to chat on personal streams it could be annoying since you can't really be heard in the chat when it's busy like that but honestly as those events become more popular this becomes unavoidable.
http://pastebin.com/PNcuLqrW

T r u E C o L o r S
dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
It would be nice if people refrained from stirring the pot. Clearly the discussion is not going anywhere between the two sides that have more extreme views of what marathon chat "should" be. This has been pointed out already by multiple people and creating addtional drama is not helpful or constructive.

My opinion is that a few of the organizers from SRL and SDA marathons should have a private discussion and come to an agreement on appropriate chat moderation for AGDQ which is a compromise that makes sense. Having been involved in this marathon and several SDA marathons I have witnessed that the organizers from each side are ALL flexible, intelligent, and reasonable people that have a mutual respect and are more than capable of managing this chat issue.

Now, the marathon itself was a massive success and nobody can deny that. The organizers worked tirelessly to put it together and their final product was amazing. Thank you all for the hard work it certainly paid off for the organizers, players, and viewers alike. The commentary was fantastic, the gameplay was top tier, and it all ran very smoothly. I think the most amazing part is that this is the first marathon by a lot of these organizers, it was online, and with fairly short notice. There really should have been more problems given the circumstances, but they managed the whole thing with awesome planning, teamwork, and execution. You really could not ask for more from this marathon, it delivered on all fronts and should become a yearly event without question.  A big congratulations to all involved!
To that end, I get to walk away from this thread with a better understanding.

Talk about the game, so will everyone else; dick around and have fun, so will everyone else; be a douchebag, so will everyone else. Group dynamics 101. It's pretty sad that I didn't notice it until now because I'm always so used to talking to people one-on-one.

If I see something I don't like and don't understand, it's natural that I become critical of it, but I'm also very capable of understanding it if someone were to explain it to me. For that, those of us who didn't understand, have Breakdown to thank for putting it into a communicative and constructive manner.

I kind-of view it more like: moderation in gross is no different from shooting bear mace into someone's eye just because they voiced their opinion, and it's generally the guy who has center stage who controls the mood of the crowd.

Being nice and communicative is really what I want out of people from the get-go, given we all have a common interest and a common goal, and I hope others will do the same.
Make it so.
I was going to comment but Carcinogen has pretty much just said every single thing I was going to in a better way.

+1 Carcinogen and Breakdown.
Edit history:
AlecK47: 2012-11-06 02:17:53 pm
Quote from Tiberius:

Indeed, sir, indeed.

Quote from yoshifan:
In case no one's pointed it out yet, we have always had 2 chats for AGDQ: the IRC (QuakeNet) chat, and the Twitch stream chat which we didn't use.  The Twitch stream chat has Twitch faces, whereas the QuakeNet chat does not.  So if we're thinking of having a rowdy chat and a separate "civilized" chat where questions and PMs are welcome, then such arrangements shouldn't be hard to make.

I was thinking about this myself.  Getting the best of both worlds seems quite doable (though I wouldn't necessarily say easy), so long as both chats are moderated.  People should, more often than not, gravitate towards the chat that best suits them - or participate in both.

Edit: Having two chats could also help deal with sheer numbers.  At last year's AGDQ, I had trouble following the chat during Cosmo's OoT run, and if 10,000 is a projected average viewer count this time around...
INTJ
Wow.. so many people are better in formulating sentences than me..

Quote:
Now, the marathon itself was a massive success and nobody can deny that. The organizers worked tirelessly to put it together and their final product was amazing. Thank you all for the hard work it certainly paid off for the organizers, players, and viewers alike. The commentary was fantastic, the gameplay was top tier, and it all ran very smoothly. I think the most amazing part is that this is the first marathon by a lot of these organizers, it was online, and with fairly short notice. There really should have been more problems given the circumstances, but they managed the whole thing with awesome planning, teamwork, and execution. You really could not ask for more from this marathon, it delivered on all fronts and should become a yearly event without question.  A big congratulations to all involved!

+1
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from Omnigamer:
*snip* big post with big graphs

Most of this post I would agree to. I wouldn't agree to calling the numbers of unfollows anything except random. The mean is probably close to one per time step and the standard deviation I would guess to be close if not larger than one. Negative numbers are impossible, so that is the distribution you'ld be getting.

Quote from Tiberius:
I was going to comment but Carcinogen and Breakdown have pretty much just said every single thing I was going to in a better way.

Fixed that for me Wink
Edit history:
Yagamoth: 2012-11-06 03:47:36 pm
INTJ
Hm... "off topic" - anyone got a suggestion which runs to re-watch? I'm currently ill and sitting at home bored. I've seen around 50% of the whole thing, so multiple suggestions would be appreciated ^^
Edit history:
dram55: 2012-11-06 04:53:35 pm
www.smwwiki.com
Thanks for the kind and insightful words - @people who had kind and insightful words. Also props to Vorpal for giving the marathon a great write up on the main site. This entire marathon was a ton a fun from the moment we started planning it in the channel a while back, and I'm glad it came through on stream that way. For the most part nothing went drastically wrong. One thing I wish I did better was actually plan for the bonus stream. I'm not sure if it was apparent as a viewer - but behind the scenes things were kind of hectic. Now we know for next time..

I don't want to repeat myself too much but thanks again to everyone who helped! I really appreciate everything. I think I kind of said it all in the 'thank you' portion of our stream.

Looking forward to agdq.

Quote from Yagamoth:
Hm... "off topic" - anyone got a suggestion which runs to re-watch? I'm currently ill and sitting at home bored. I've seen around 50% of the whole thing, so multiple suggestions would be appreciated ^^

Yes watch Kassiuz play Aladdin - it was the first night after Yoshi's Island. EDIT: if there are children in the room have them earmuff.

Edit history:
Golden: 2012-11-07 01:05:42 pm
Golden: 2012-11-06 08:18:14 pm
Golden: 2012-11-06 08:18:04 pm
Golden: 2012-11-06 08:16:58 pm
Voice
I just want to give thanks to everyone who helped make the marathon possible. You all know how much effort it took and the result was worth a FrankerZ or two on the back. Wink

Having been involved so much on stream during the marathon, I think it's important to contribute my thoughts here, not necessarily because I believe that change is needed or that I should instruct SDA on how to run their marathons, but rather because I think it might provide insight and spawn some new ideas that could be of some help, or interesting at least.

I'll speak more on the commentary side briefly, since that was my major role throughout the weekend. Although I started out just wanting to be the guy that read the donations, I realize I became more involved as the weekend went on, and assumed almost more of a host role than that of just a donation reader. Some people will disagree with this style and say that it was unnecessary or intrusive on the runners, and that's fine (also note that I did my best to stay out of the way if a runner or their co-commentator was clearly going to be more insightful / the viewers would rather hear them than myself; Lee and Cosmo come to mind). But what I think it did was it gave the viewers a constant throughout the marathon (or at least the parts I was awake for), and for the most part the reception to this style seemed positive. The ability to come up with incentives on an impromptu level helped us raise over $800 during Super Mario 64 alone. I think that was really unique and again I want to thank esi and Cpkaka for being open to the idea of being messed with during an otherwise prepared run.

This brings up the issue of chat behavior, and I think you'd again be wrong if you felt the chat was unruly or uncontrollable. We frequently encouraged the chat spam and enjoyed the reactions we would get from the viewers. I think part of the reason we encouraged chat spam was that it's a part of Twitch and speedrunning culture, and quite Frank(erZ)ly, it's to be expected at this point. People will always have their own definitions of "fun", but I think by letting the chat run free and say what they wanted to, we let the viewers decide on a collective definition of fun, rather than imposing our own definition. As far as I know, we never once turned on slow mode, and only had a handful of complaints from people who felt their chatting experience had been "ruined". But while there was spam, there were also plenty of calm periods where the chat would produce meaningful questions relating to different aspects of runs. We kept mentioning it during the marathon, but I have never seen a more enthusiastic chat on an event of this scale.

Personally, during my own runs in the marathon, I couldn't have been more pleased with the waves of Twitch faces, hashtags, and other silly memes we came up with. I think it all contributed to a memorable experience and a positive one for those involved, on a weekend when people could have been watching MLG or other tournaments nonetheless. The best examples of this had to have been the SMRPG race and the Mario Party 2 game on bonus stream, when viewers rallied behind a player of their choice, and viewership rose SIGNIFICANTLY. Viewer support was tremendous, and rarely was there negativity towards a runner (unless you were named Twig!!!).

Again, I'm not trying to say this is the "right" way to do it. I understand that often times, as a result of the way we interacted with the chat, there wasn't as much of a focus on the explanations of different tricks or glitches being performed. If you were a runner that felt that my commentary style or our encouragement of chat spam interfered with your marathon experience, I do feel bad and want you to know that the intent was never there to downplay your run. At the end of the day though, I think the primary focus was always to have fun and raise money doing it, and I thank all of the runners and organizers for their contributions. Our marathon was very different in approach and target audience from, say, AGDQ; we had no intent of being family friendly, or of presenting ourselves a certain way. So perhaps you can't take a lot from what we did, but hopefully you enjoyed our different approach and were able to appreciate it from the angle that we were a bunch of speedrunners who wanted to help our friends out and have fun doing it.

Just to wrap up since I'm not here to write a novel but already appear to be doing so, I personally want to thank dram, Garrison, spimmmm, MSDS3170, Omnigamer, and Sluip (got em) for their efforts in organizing and running this (and anyone else who might have been on the stream throughout, I'm sure I missed someone's name T_T), and for letting me be a constant presence on the stream. There were many planning meetings in the weeks leading up to it, and still a ton of unforseen effort that had to be put in during the final days leading up to (and even the days during) the marathon. I've always enjoyed doing commentary and I'm very appreciative and humbled by the opportunity to help out. I hope there are more opportunites like this in the future, and I hope you'll consider bringing me back to take part. I would definitely be willing to be a vocal presence on marathon streams in the future, and I understand that if I were to take on a role in a different setting such as AGDQ, that I would want to abide by the rules set by the marathon, and not encourage any unwanted behavior. Thanks again. <3 #moesha FrankerZ <3
Quote from Yagamoth:

The entire bonus stream.
So.... Where can I go to watch the VODs for this marathon? I can't find them anywhere.... Thank you in advanced!!
www.smwwiki.com
Hey buffo we've been going through making twitch highlights. By 'we' I mean Blechy has been doing all of this because he's a pal!

You can see it here (http://www.twitch.tv/smwmarathon/videos?kind=highlights) in its full 240p goodness. 
Edit history:
buffo: 2012-11-08 04:10:41 pm
Beautiful!!!! Thank you very much for answering my post in an insanely fast manner Smiley I enjoyed the marathon when I could, and I want to catch up with the sections I missed.

- edit-

On a side note, the chat moderation you guys did was beyond perfect. You let us posters have some fun, and in the end, people smiling, having fun and enjoying themselves are better donators Smiley I've been part of other marathons where the moderators moderate in a manner that shows their inexperience dealing with people online, and I just ended up leaving and not donating. It is that simple. Smiley

Keep up the great work ladies and gents!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from ShadowWraith:
Interesting. I'd like to see a similar set of stats for the past AGDQ/SGDQ marathons to see how they compare. Thanks for those, Omnigamer.

Sorry I'm late, but here they are. http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_and_sgdq_2012_stats.html