--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Myst.html

Myst (pc) (pc) [100 %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Robert 'Gelly' Gelhar!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Myst (pc) (pc) [100 %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Myst-20151218/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Foreward: I didn't realize this was RealMyst when I signed up to verify.  I've only played regular-ass Myst, and this is a bit of a different animal.

A/v: Looks good all the way though, although I believe there is some kind of credit sequence here that we skipped.  It feels odd to have the video end literally a few frames after the game is beaten.  Consider recutting?

Cheating: I don't have any reason to believe so, but I'm not an expert on this title.

Gameplay:  Overall a very fast looking run, although I feel like the time loss on the entry to the Selenitic Age was kind of sloppy.  I don't know how hard this is to bullseye the first try without using the organ, so I'm willing to let it slide pending another Myst runner comes in here and is all like "No this is a terrible and embarrassing mistake."

Conclusion:  As it stands, I'm thinking weak accept, although that could be pushed one way or the other based on other verifier opinions about a/v or Selenitic thing.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2015-12-29 03:29:51 pm
LotBlind: 2015-12-28 12:23:11 pm
EDIT: This refers to the old submission.

9:07 - music puzzle had some serious problems. Lost over 40 seconds even if we allow 20 seconds to input the notes is acceptable! To my knowledge this game has no RNG either.

Not expecting everyone to be musical, but you need to set yourself up with something like a recording you listen to right as you get to that part so you have a point of reference. Or if you have a musical friend who can hang around for that part Smiley I wonder if printing a screen shot of the correct solution works? Otherwise just practise!

EDIT: I think even just looking at cues within the graphics themselves and the way the pixels align should be simple enough. I just saw how much the previous run struggled with the puzzle so maybe this gave the new runner the wrong picture.

execution seemed pretty similar to the previous run for the part that comes before so without this it would have been an accept probably.

reject

PS and yes keeping the ending makes it look nicer
Just a quick post to say that we now have a faster run uploaded and available through the link in the second post.
LMAO the runner changed the route so they could do the music puzzle first :DDDD Good call there sir!

A/V: top and leftmost rows of pixels seem to have some glitching. Visible e.g. at 18 minutes. Looks like the previous run has the same.

Well the runner managed to save those 40 seconds and a bit more this time and the run no longer has significant gameplay issues.

accept!
Hope to see more runs from you!

Still a bit funny it doesn't have the ending so if that could be edited in then why not?
Concerning the glitched pixels, I have issues with lag spikes and Fraps; I'm still working on unkinking said kinks but for now it'll suffice.

The one big issue with recording the ending is that there's a major ugly audio glitch that plays two cutscenes over each other due to the way the green book is entered; if it's really something worth going for, I have a lot of recordings of the ending that could be spliced with the run if necessary.

And yeah, I didn't realize I submitted a massive flub until it was a bit too late, sorry :P. I'm now positive I nail the sound puzzle every single time.

I held off on these comments because I wasn't sure how loose commenting on these verification threads is, but looking at other threads, I feel a lot better about making minor clarifications. Thank you all for making sure this run stays cool!
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-01-01 12:45:25 pm
Jesus that face! :/ No I'm not gelly...

Yes you may enter your own verification threads at any time! So wait the pixels ARE the recording? Strange the previous run by someone else also had the same...

Maybe you could send in a non-glitched ending if it's something that only happens due to what you do in the run as I understand by what you wrote? If anyone has the time, they'll re-encode but there's a good chance they won't actually...

I see you have plans for the rest of the series... Maybe you should start a Strategy Guide for it? I doubt there's so much to say about each game aside from fastest route and notes about what fails and why so you couldn't just start one page for all of them. Here's something you can just copy-paste and edit:https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Alone_in_the_Dark_%281-3%29

Here's the general instructions on how to start a page: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/SDA_Strategy_Wiki#Adding_a_game

Think of it as your public notepad - this way future runners will get up to speed faster.

Here's a thread I found: feel free to use it unless you think you'll need more space for each game.
Edit history:
Gelly: 2016-01-01 04:17:59 pm
Oh, the sides! I misread your comment. Those pixels are, oddly, within the game outside of the recording and can't be fixed. I've tried changing quality settings and it's just a weird quirk of 2000-PC programming, I suppose.

Also, thank you so much for the leading towards a strategy guide! I've made a ton of discoveries about various glitches present in the different versions, but I haven't had a place to post them online where it would be able to be used. I appreciate the work you've gone into digging up all the current info on Myst and giving me these resources - I think I know what I'll be working on for the next couple of days.
My pleasure! The more people use the Knowledge Base, the more useful (and popular) it becomes.
Decision posted.