Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Summoningsalt'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/PunchOut-20160710/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
First off, I'm super glad that Summoningsalt took the time to make sure his local recording setup was correct & recorded this run for SDA. If he hadn't had that squared away before he got this run, then SDA probably would have never seen a time this low for MTPO, because the luck the run has is effectively impossible to get again.

From my end, the A/V quality looks great. No cheating detected, even though this luck is literally insane, haha.

---

Glass Joe - 42 flat of course

Von Kaiser - Uses the newest phase 1 that I modified from McHazard's strategy. Pretty much as good as it gets.

Piston Honda 1 - Gets kind of sketchy luck and gets blocked, but it doesn't matter because this is like the only bad thing in the run.

Don Flamenco 1 - 15 flat, pretty much expected.

King Hippo - A 40 second time is pretty much the 2nd best luck possible for this fight, so very much above average luck here.

Great Tiger - No mistakes, nothing crazy here.

Bald Bull 1 - Gets literally the best luck possible for every random event here. This pretty much makes this pace insane given the Hippo time.

Piston Honda 2 - Literally the best luck along with perfect execution.

Soda Popinski - A 51 is stupid... like, really really stupidly good luck.

Bald Bull 2 - Gets blocked once, which loses a couple of seconds, but it's random. If he had to get bad luck anywhere, this is a good spot since the loss is very minimal.

Don Flamenco 2 - Makes one mistake and gets rewarded with a truckload of random stars, then gets the mid refill on phase 2 which allows a completely bonkers 1:26. For reference, the IL record for Don 2 on SDA was 1:26 for a while by Sinister, which is a wildly random fight. The fact that this SS run also gets a 1:26 is literally insane.

Mr Sandman - He gets the low refill and the fast delay in the final phase, pretty much perfect luck. Ridiculous.

Super Macho Man - Gets a 55 by playing it safe lmao. It's like bad luck is banned from this attempt or something.

Mike Tyson - Somehow doesn't get the 8 second delay on this basically impossible pace. Was 1 frame perfect punch away from getting a 57 second phase 1, which would have put this run in actual contention for being sub 15. Regardless, performing this fight this solidly under this insane pressure is extremely impressive, and 2:27 on Mike Tyson at the end of any run is really strong, but at the end of this run, it pretty much seals the coffin for the MTPO SS record from ever being broken again.

---

This is one hell of a run. I encourage anyone who somehow hasn't seen this run to watch it asap. I would be absolutely shocked if anyone ever even gets close to this 15:12.

Accept, congrats Salt!
Professional Second Banana
Not much to add to zallard1's post; but just wanted to +1 the A/V quality being fine, and the gameplay being incredible for both luck and execution.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
A/V is good, no cheating.

This runner has contributed to many new and exciting strategies in this game which made an insanely low time like this a reality. After a steady  progression of runs after first beating Matt Turk's original 16:59, this runner developed the highest level of consistency ever seen in this game. He has ended more runs with sub 2:30 Tyson's than is conceivable. Those are big parts of the reason he has this time. This game is extremely punishing and when you get a rare opportunity when the stars align and luck like this occurs you have to be mentally strong enough to be unfazed and have the technical skills to execute at the highest level. This runner did that like a true MTPO champion.

No run is unbeatable, but this one is about as close as it gets due to the extreme luck required (I would estimate 1 in 50,000) and need for 20 or more frame perfect inputs at the very end knowing what is riding on it.

Easy accept: Nothin' but respect for the runner.
Decision posted.
Edit history:
Summoningsalt: 2016-07-31 11:11:04 am
Summoningsalt: 2016-07-31 11:10:00 am
I'm a bit late, but thanks to everyone who accepted, it was nice to read your comments.

It felt especially good to hear from sinister1 and zallard1, since they were the two who inspired and helped me the most with this run.  Thanks a lot to both of you!

This is pretty much for sure the greatest gaming achievement I will ever accomplish.  I don't think I will ever go back to MTPO single segment unless a bunch of new strats are found, because the grind for the RNG to beat this run would be incredible, and luck this good may never be seen again.