<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Snabel: 2018-02-01 07:02:43 pm
I am able to do the bug now. I played around with it a little bit and it seems that changing the compatibility mode from windows xp (had it on this to fix a soundbug) to windows 8 fixed it. And for some reason I dont even have the soundbug anymore even on windows 8 compatibility.

update: it seems that when i run the game as administrator, the bug dosent work, which explains why it dosent work for me when i run in windows xp compatible mode, since it always asks for my permission befroe i enter the game when i have that enabled.
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-02 11:59:40 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 11:50:17 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 11:12:25 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 11:11:47 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 10:59:16 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 10:52:46 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 10:22:31 am
MUGG: 2018-02-02 10:22:09 am
TASer
Good that you got the bug to work under at least some settings.

Here are the settings I'm using:
- I play under Windows 7, 64bit Home Premium
- I use the software called CursorLock (makes it so cursor doesn't leave the window) and run MM8-Rel.exe with it.
- I run both the CursorLock instance and the MM8-Rel.exe with admin rights.
- Changing compatibility mode can fix sound bug. I checked the .exe and compatibility mode isn't turned on, so I don't know what gives...

But yeah, I hope you can get the game to run the best possible way.

Running the game in different versions of Windows might have an effect (like playing on Windows 10 may be different from playing it on Windows 7, but I don't know...).

One issue I'm still facing myself is the game becoming laggy, which is most noticeable when flying up and down (it isn't one fluent movement but it is slow-ish...). Loses maybe 1 second in every 20 seconds, I think. But I don't mind it too much.

---
New timesaver: Click buffering entrances of dungeons:

Ok, looks like you can click buffer the entrances of dungeons (while in the dungeon) so you can leave dungeons without being near the entrance.
I think it doesn't work across different dungeons though. It has to be done on the entrance of the same dungeon, as far as I tested.

These are the ideas, but not confirmed yet:
--> You can leave Escaton's palace right after getting the prison key
--> You can leave each of the prisons right after freeing a lord (in RTA, this will probably only be good to do with the lengthy Earth prison and the Water prison). Air prison is short and Fire prison is last.

Consider using telekinesis through the final door in Escaton's Palace! This requires having the 1st character killed by the time you arrive at the final door.

---

Using town portal:

The game thinks there are no enemies on the first frame after leaving a dungeon.
You just have to buffer the Cast Spell key while on the loading screen (leaving the dungeon).
So e.g. you can leave palace of Fire and use town portal (at a chance that it might fail, that is), instead of death warping.

Nice work mugg, i thought of a few more uses for the bug:

If you set up a save infront of the inn in ravenshore (its on the path of the run anyway)
Then proceed to murmurwoods to free Cauri, then it is possible to hire her right away, by saving on murmurwoods, then loading up the save infront of the inn, then buffer a click on the murmurwoods save.

This can be used further if you position yourself (and save) infront of the promotion house on alvar and the spellshop

Then it is actually possible to: hire cauri, promote her (get the gold) and then buy all the spells for her all whilist you are in murmurwoods.
The use? you can use telekenesis to get faster into the air portal and also the building in the portal. When you acquire the heartstone in the air portal you can teleport straight to dagger wound and get the heartstone there, then teleport straight to alvar and head for the firestone.

----------------------

ALSO you can position yourself infront of a church, save and basically become immortal:

Lets say you fight someone and one from your party dies, you save
You load up the save infront of the church
Then load up your previous save while buffering a click, this will take you to the church where you can heal up.
Another thought:

You can use the save you use to get out of Escatons Palace, to get to the middle of the plane between planes everytime you wanna exit the prisons:

You click the door in the prison, save, load the save where you face the exit of Escatons Palace, reload your other save VOILA you now spawn in the middle of the plane between planes, the use? you save time when traveling from one prison to another, since you spawn in the middle of the map.
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-03 01:38:49 am
TASer
Wait, are you brainstorming ideas or are you saying you can actually do these?
I think the trick only works when loading a save from an interior (dungeon).
But if they do work, please make a video. I would like to see it.
I was just brainstorming ideas hah i am not home at the moment, so i cant test these, but if you can buffer a click, i dont see why these wouldn't work.
TASer
They don't work because the trick only works when loading an interior map (indoors).
Statue in Murmurwoods, the inn, etc. are all exterior.
That is actually pretty weird when you think about it, why is it not possible to buffer a click just because you stand outside?
TASer
Quote from Snabel:
That is actually pretty weird when you think about it, why is it not possible to buffer a click just because you stand outside?

I don't know. Indoors physics are different and the game treats it differently (the whole area is loaded, I think, in contrast to outdoors where only portion of the area is loaded at a time).

Here is my latest run:

I think I will go for 13:20 as a goal time.
Very nice run (and that clickbait thumbnail though haha)
I am still not home, but out of curiosity, couldnt you have done the skip i told about earlier where you use the exit from Escatons Palace to leave all the elemental prisons, thereby making you spawn in the middle of the map, reducing traveltime between them?
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:56:28 am
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:55:50 am
TASer
Quote from Snabel:
you use the exit from Escatons Palace to leave all the elemental prisons, thereby making you spawn in the middle of the map, reducing traveltime between them?

The thing is, as far as I tested, the exit buffer only works on exits of dungeons you are currently in.
You cannot use Escaton's Palace's exit to do the skip in any of the prisons.
The exit buffer has to be set up for each dungeon you want to do it in individually.

Btw, I noticed the skip cannot be done in Water prison after all... or can it?
You could make a save(1) at the start location, go to the exit, make another save(2).
Load save(1) and proceed to telekinesis on the Lord's door, and do the skip.
Should save 5~10 seconds.

I have used Cheat Engine to keep track of x/y/z coordinates and more or less confirmed that click buffer isn't a position thing.
As in, one save is me facing the exit in a dungeon, and the other save is in the overworld being in the same coordinates and facing direction.
Loading the latter, then the former (while click buffering) doesn't have an effect.
Click buffer isn't a position thing, but a "what is it from the previous map that you were clicking on?" thing.
But the trick is still young, needs more and more testing...
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:31:57 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:31:00 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:29:37 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-04 12:29:20 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-04 08:37:26 am
MUGG: 2018-02-04 08:35:04 am
TASer
I found you can use scrolls while in a house/shop/talking to NPC.
This will sometimes cause the same effect as in this video.

In fact, there are some very powerful effects you can achieve with this, depending what type of scroll you are using (target? normal? town portal?) and where you are using it (dungeon with preview film? without? house?). Effects include:
- storing your location and warping there after going to a different map
- some forms of memory corruption / graphical glitchiness

Might be useful for runs, but it doesn't look too promising right now.

Video soon.
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-05 02:42:01 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-05 02:41:25 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-05 02:39:59 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-05 02:39:45 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-05 02:38:18 pm
TASer
@Snabel, you might want to hold off on working on your segmented run. More time savers are coming.
The new bug I was talking about enables you to enter certain places from afar, in particular:

- You can enter Plane of Air right after rescuing Cauri
(only saves like 5 seconds or so, might not be worth considering the risk of messing it up)

- You can enter Plane of Water right after arriving in Ravage Roaming
- You can get the Heart of Water right after entering the plane
(both these save about 32 seconds)

The new bug is so vast, I don't know where to start. I will work on a video that contains all the timesavers at least.
There is still a little bit of potential left for more timesavers yet to be found with this.

A short how to (enter plane of Water from afar):
-Save the game in front of a door, with a spell scroll (might need to be of the "select a target" type, I need to test it again) in your cursor (savegame1)
-Save the game after arriving in Ravage (savegame2)
-Load savegame1, enter a shop or house, use the scroll by rightclick on a character's portrait. Game will glitch. Exit and reload savegame2
-Game will not render the map, but the indoors cinematics(or something else depending what you're doing)
-Click on your character's portrait to bring up their inventory. Then leave. You can still click on your items after leaving the inventory, but it will represent stuff on the map instead of your items. I'm not quite sure how the numbering works yet, but clicking your 3rd (8th?) item (counting from top left) will let you enter the plane.

---

Exit buffer on Water prison is actually a 10 sec timesaver if done correctly. Go free the lord, save (1), reload the autosave and re-enter, go for the exit door, reload  save 1 and leave.
TASer

This shows the plane of Water timesave at the end of the video.
The plane of Air timesave is not included, but you can figure it out once you understand how the trick works with the plane of Water.

There is potential for more timesave, like I said, by storing your location and using town portal/travelling and then end up near where you want to go. This is shown at the beginning of the video, where I end up near the plane of Earth portal.
Snabel: looks like we'd have to reject your new run anyway with new tricks being found so you might as well cancel it before it hits verification.
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-06 04:06:43 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 04:06:25 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 03:59:52 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 03:59:31 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 03:58:36 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 03:48:05 pm
MUGG: 2018-02-06 03:44:19 pm
TASer
Ok, I found something again.
You can do "item warp" without doing spell scroll glitch.
Save in Ravage Roaming, load and buffer a click on your character portrait to bring up their inventory. Close your inventory and you can item warp to plane of Water.

It seems this trick fails at a random chance. In that case, re-trying until it works seems to be the way to go.

Btw, "storing your coordinates" with the spell scroll glitch in order to shortcut to plane of Earth is slower by about 8 seconds. Not worth. I think we can leave spell scroll glitch out of speedruns completely (that is, if this new trick can work with air Plane).
Why reject my run because of these new glitches? (just curious, I wont submit it anyway, since I will make a new one using the new tricks)

Also Mugg, I tried reloading the shop on daggerwound countless times, and I wasn't able to find the "stone to flesh" scroll in the shop at all, are you sure it is there? if it is, it is VERY rare.
Snabel: Technically, because these tricks are being found now and you already submitted your run earlier, we're supposed to just accept that we can't hold it against you (even though it's kinda looking like you weren't putting in the kind of effort to find all this stuff that you could have). But you have to realize that in any case the longer your run stays in the queue, the more work will be wasted on it if you mean to cancel it anyway. So please could you do that now, not later.
I dont know how to cancel it, I am not very good on these forums to be honest, I just enjoy speedrunning might and magic 8 lol
Also Mugg, i tried making the render glitch work on murmurwoods, with no luck. I tried for a bit of time, then went to daggerwound to check if i had the technique wrong, but i made the glitch work there immediately. So it seems that the glitch dosent work on murmurwoods?
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-09 05:11:19 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 05:01:14 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 05:00:11 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 04:32:29 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 04:31:57 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 04:30:44 am
TASer
Quote from Snabel:
Why reject my run because of these new glitches? (just curious, I wont submit it anyway, since I will make a new one using the new tricks)

Also Mugg, I tried reloading the shop on daggerwound countless times, and I wasn't able to find the "stone to flesh" scroll in the shop at all, are you sure it is there? if it is, it is VERY rare.

It is there ("Buy Special" only) and if you are doing segmented, you will probably have no excuse not getting it.
I did RTA attempts with and without saving in front of the shop. Without saving it takes a long time, sometimes more than 10 minutes of trying (so 20 sec = one attempt). With saving and trying 3 or 4 times, you can get it sooner but you waste 10-15 sec of trying time. Of course in segmented you will want it first try.

Though I'm still not sure how you manage in your speedrun videos to know in advance where to click in the shop...

Quote from Snabel:
Also Mugg, i tried making the render glitch work on murmurwoods, with no luck. I tried for a bit of time, then went to daggerwound to check if i had the technique wrong, but i made the glitch work there immediately. So it seems that the glitch dosent work on murmurwoods?

Yes, it doesn't work in Murmurwoods. I don't have a new run so far, so I will explain the main strategy:

(* means you do one OR the other.)

- enter Daggerwound shop, sell bottom book (worth ~400 coins or so)
- "Buy Special" --> Stone to Flesh scroll
*- Buy one other cheap item
- while going to the ship, pull out the Stone to Flesh scroll, save in front of the ship door (savegame 1)
- go to Ravenshore library, throw the scroll and save (savegame 2). Load autosave and proceed to Alvar and Murmurwoods.
*-After entering Murmurwoods, get a red reagent from the floor
- Free Cauri, save (savegame 3). Load savegame 1, enter ship, use scroll, load savegame 3, bring up your inventory, click at the additional item you got (from shop or the red reagent) --> Enter plane of Air.

After this, you don't need scroll bug anymore.
The item you got in (*) will also be the one to click on to enter plane of Water.
Edit history:
Snabel: 2018-02-09 05:25:34 am
Snabel: 2018-02-09 05:19:08 am
How do i know the scrolls are there?
I keep reloading the map, to get new shop spawns, then check if the item i want is there, if it is there i go out of the shop, save the game and load up the autosave again, then i go to the store on that save and load up the save infront of the store (the save where i know exactly where the scroll is)

-------------------------------

Instead of buying an extra item or picking up something from the floor, couldnt you just undress Cauri to get the extra items? (LOL)

Is it not possible to get the "Stone To Flesh" scroll on Alvar aswell? the shop is right on the path, when you go to promote Cauri, it might be less rare there?

Also thanks for the explanation (maybe a video on it?) also, what is savegame 2 used for in the above? you want to use this to get the heartstones or? cause the scroll is a lot smaller than the book, so it might be a bit harder?
Edit history:
MUGG: 2018-02-09 05:36:59 am
MUGG: 2018-02-09 05:36:18 am
TASer
Quote from Snabel:
How do i know the scrolls are there?
I keep reloading the map, to get new shop spawns, then check if the item i want is there, if it is there i go out of the shop, save the game and load up the autosave again, then i go to the store on that save and load up the save infront of the store (the save where i know exactly where the scroll is)

But that isn't how it works.
The items in shops are determined the moment you enter the shop.
You cannot predict what the items will be unless you go in, go out, save and then continue from that save.
You are saying you can go in, go out, save and continue another save to get the same items.
That's not how it works in vanilla Might & Magic 8 at least.

Idk about Cauri's items. But I think picking up from the floor doesn't lose any time. That's what I do in RTA.
Hmm I need to test again, maybe you don't need an extra item.

Quote:
Is it not possible to get the "Stone To Flesh" scroll on Alvar aswell?

You need the scroll to free Cauri. When you go get the rescue money you already have freed her.

Quote:
Also thanks for the explanation (maybe a video on it?) also, what is savegame 2 used for in the above? you want to use this to get the heartstones or? cause the scroll is a lot smaller than the book, so it might be a bit harder?

for the heartstones.
Yes it's harder but you don't have an excuse when doing segmented.
Its really easy, i take the boat from daggerwound, the moment i enter ravenshore the shop has predetermined scrolls, i go to check if the scroll i need is there, if it isnt i load up the autosave and take the boat again.
When the scroll finally is there, i save infront of the shop and load up the autosave and take the boat again.
I go to the shop and load up the save infront of the shop, then i go in and take the scroll and continue from that save.
-------------------------
And you're right about the stone to flesh thing on alvar, i forgot about that haha
-------------------------
And okay! just wanted to make sure
I just used the renderglitch on the waterportal and something weird happened. I ended up in the corner, shown on the picture, I havent been able to recreate this, just thought I would share it

Attachment: